hulika

Author Topic: Scalarizer Thread  (Read 256861 times)

Offline micsis

• Veteran Member
Scalarizer Thread
« on: January 24, 2007, 09:31:10 PM »
Hi guys ,may i start this thread wherein we can post reviews / comments / testimonies specifically on the scalarizer. Many guitarist forumites still dont know what this miracle device is all about. Thanks!

Or can the the author of the previous thread edit or rename the title para madali hanapin. Thanks again!
I'm standing on a ROCK and my name is on the ROLL

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Scalarizer Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 09:43:46 PM »
Yeah, the scalarizer thread ..

Otherwise known as the BAMF Worshippers' Shrine ..

Bow when you enter .. :-)
"No static at all ..."

Offline micsis

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 10:05:21 PM »
Baka pwede i cut and paste yung mga previous reviews onto this thread. Thanks!

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 10:35:39 PM »
So, how is this different from an LCR filter?
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline ayofish

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 11:32:21 PM »
ano ang ginagawa ng scalarizer????
"Practice makes perfect, But no one is perfect so why practice? Because practice makes masters and experts!!!!"

Offline micsis

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 12:31:23 AM »
Quote from mahavishnu:

To be honest I was a skeptic. we did the usual A/B thing. either my ears were patethically tired or mike's strat was just too good to sound better. still a skeptic. twas psychological...tried it on the LP. same.

Then we did a B/A...holy shiznizzle. played the darn ax with the scalarizer, played only two chords with 3 open strings. tried our best to remember the tone...removed the scalarizer immediately. played the same two chords. i just cant believe it but what we're hearing slapped some sense to me. i just lost the creaminess and warmth..i lost the smooth edges.. the harshness came back.. and the sound was bland or dry.. and the resonance is like some old fart , very plain and short.

what the scalarizer did was it smooth the edges and harshness.. you prolly say youll sacrifice some highs or some elements with the smoothening out. NO. the whole stage is there.. the dynamic is still wide, wider i should say. mike said it himself "3D". oh and never forget about the resonance.. sustain for days! the scalarizer gives more wood to your tone. i think  it allows your guitar's wood(not the one inside your pants) a bigger role in the tone. what should have always been.

BAMF is henyo (tama ba spelling?) i hope you get rich with this. thanks sir. you inspire as to kalikot stuff. with dedication to R&D ofcourse   

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:21:04 AM by mahavishnu »
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 12:33:24 AM by micsis »

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 01:02:44 AM »
So, how is this different from an LCR filter?

LCR filters narrow down bandwidth.

The scalarizer widens the available bandwidth :D

But beyond that, it's better to hear it before and after installation. I'll gladly lend you one, Al. I'll drop it off your office next time I'm in the area.

Or better still, you can drop by at the shop this Saturday night. Bring a guitar, your [gooey brown stuff] one. :D
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 01:05:44 AM »
ano ang ginagawa ng scalarizer????

It makes your pickups and overall, your electric guitar sound better. Without having to change pickups or even resort to expensive and often frivolous stuff like titanium trem blocks and stuff like that.

All the guitars you played with at the shop kanina were all scalarized. :D . But as mahavishnu and micsis points out, you'll appreciate it after comparing it to the same guitar before and after installation (or rather after and after removal in their case hehehe :D )

Offline bluebossa

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 02:32:30 AM »
magkano po scalarizer?

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 06:19:25 AM »
BAMF,

Titanium trem blocks and saddles have a different expansion effect than electronic means.  They are not the same.  Unless you have installed Titanium parts on your guitar extensively for a long time, dont pretend you know the difference.  You want to know how both sound together?  Take a shot at my Strat or my Super Strat into a Diezel Herbert for a truly expansive sound.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 06:34:30 AM »
BAMF,

Titanium trem blocks and saddles have a different expansion effect than electronic means.  They are not the same.  Unless you have installed Titanium parts on your guitar extensively for a long time, dont pretend you know the difference.  You want to know how both sound together?  Take a shot at my Strat or my Super Strat into a Diezel Herbert for a truly expansive sound.

Welcome back Alex, how's your vacation?

BAMF and I would definitely, absolutely, love to hear true expansiveness, as your strats and herbert can afford.

I gather from your response that you are cashing in on BAMF's long standing offer, mon ami?

Great! When's your stuff available? And where?
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 06:55:21 AM »
Vacation sucks...

Long standing offer? Hmmnn.  What venue do you suggest?

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 07:04:52 AM »
Vacation sucks...

Long standing offer? Hmmnn.  What venue do you suggest?

Sir OAZ taga san po ba kayo ehehe interested din po kc ako marinig yung tunog nung amp niyo ehehe ka pangalan ko kc eh  :-D baka pde ma checkout

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 07:15:52 AM »
Kahit your house na lang. It's easier to lug a Scalarized Greco Strat than it is to lug a Herbert.

Or Arie's, or Lito's, or at Anton's. Or the next Purple Haze EB. Ikaw ! :D

But here's the thing.

1. You can hear the difference even on any amp. No need to strain to listen for differences. No need to play it through a Herbie.
2. You can hear the difference immediately (no need for extensive testing and owning of the thing)
3. [gooey brown stuff] guitars become good guitars, good guitars become great guitars
4. Its Cost-to-tone ratio will smoke your tremblock. ANY DAY.

And well...before you comment on the expansiveness of the scalarizer, which I'm sure you have not yet heard nor have any idea what it's about, don't pretend to know the difference either  between it and your titanium trem block. Like I said, this is a first, and has never before been invented for electric guitar. Proudly Philippine conceptualized, invented and made. Made affordable so every Filipino musician can afford that million dollar guitar sound.

Anton's Greco strat will eat your titanium tremblock guitar. On any amp. On any day. Well...except the day when your guitar becomes scalarized as well.

Wag na nating patagalin. Anton's place, 7 pm this Saturday. We'll invite philmusic friends over.

Offline micsis

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 08:36:00 AM »
magkano po scalarizer?

To give u an idea, it costs less than 2 new set of d'addario strings and equal to 2 sets of rotosound strings. And strings you throw away after 1 month of playing, but the scalarizer stays with your instrument for life.

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 09:05:52 AM »
I think I know of a similar product. BAMF, any chance you'd be in Makati? I'd like to buy one.
Surf's Up!

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 09:11:08 AM »
I don't have any on me here at home. They're all in the BAMFx shop in Banawe.

Take the time. Bring a guitar you'd like to be scalarized and we'll compare it before and after. If it's an ibby RG or LP, we can even put a bypass switch to hear the with and without effects.

I accept visitors up to 9 pm.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 09:14:21 AM »
Nice to know that alex has risen from the shadowy vacation  :-D

Looking forward to it! My fingers are itching and twitching!!!

Ron Kirn

Offline supacow

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 09:30:50 AM »

Take the time. Bring a guitar you'd like to be scalarized and we'll compare it before and after. If it's an ibby RG or LP, we can even put a bypass switch to hear the with and without effects.

wow! pwede mag lagay ng swith?

hmm.. palagay kaya ako sa godin ko?

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 09:34:28 AM »
Sound clip??? :-D

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 09:35:28 AM »

wow! pwede mag lagay ng swith?

hmm.. palagay kaya ako sa godin ko?

believe me bro, your switch will be useless once you have a scalarizer installed, coz you'll never switch it off!!!

As micsis found, I guess the best way to audition it it is an AFTER then BEFORE test.

Ron Kirn

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2007, 09:36:48 AM »
Sound clip??? :-D

perhaps may not do it justice, however, this is being discussed  :-)

better to experience it, coz it can be FELT!

Ron Kirn

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2007, 09:37:20 AM »
Yes. I installed a metal-core scalarizer last night on a beat-up FGM Ibby. It had a Tom Morello style mute switch, which the owner had me convert to a scalarizer bypass switch. Yep. Dinig na dinig how the graininess and harshness of that guitar disappears and how the 3D effect brought by the inserted harmonics makes the sound come to life.

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2007, 09:44:58 AM »
^^^ any body mods to be done? batteries?

Offline supacow

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2007, 09:46:09 AM »
Yes. I installed a metal-core scalarizer last night on a beat-up FGM Ibby. It had a Tom Morello style mute switch, which the owner had me convert to a scalarizer bypass switch. Yep. Dinig na dinig how the graininess and harshness of that guitar disappears and how the 3D effect brought by the inserted harmonics makes the sound come to life.

nasa banawe, sa QC na yung shop niyo bossing? baka pwede na din ako mag pa ayos ng effects. paayos ko nalang yung benta kong wah. hehe

san po exactly sa banawe?

dalhin ko yung godin ko after ko magawan ng pick guard :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 09:47:23 AM by supacow »