hulika

Author Topic: Guitarists' view on Emo music  (Read 70979 times)

Offline oloc

• Veteran Member
Re: Guitarists' view on Emo music
« Reply #525 on: September 26, 2008, 01:01:56 PM »

emotional posts indeed...  :|

Offline havananas

« Reply #526 on: September 26, 2008, 03:54:23 PM »
dude wala kasing meaning ang EMO nag simula lang kasi yan sa gig ng rites of spring yung crowd na biglang nag sabi sa kanila after nung set nila na hey guys youre so EMO coz puno ng emotion yung set nila nun puro galit etc...  yun dun nag start yun tukso lang siya na na-abuse wala naman talagang genre na EMO coz lahat ng kanta eh me emotion...

around 80's pa nag start to ang genre pa din nila is punk hardcore... i understand kung karamihan sa mga musikero ngayon ay di trip yung emo kasi karamihan din naman ay di alam kung san galing at kung ano yung EMO...so oks lang kung di ninyo trip me kanya kanya kasi tayong trip eh pero kung sasabihin mo na galit ka sa EMO yun ang di ko maintindihan coz para kang nag husga sa isang tao na di mo naman kilala...+100 juz do what you want mag pa galing ka play music na gusto mo :wink:

eto pakinggan nyo. si sir pakoy. hehe. :-D
mabuhay ang typecast! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Offline putzi

« Reply #527 on: September 26, 2008, 09:59:16 PM »
READ IT AND WEEP. damnit. how many times do i have to post and repost this.

no offense to those kids who think they're emo, but it really gets on my nerves whenever i see some kid that looks like this...

now, it's not that i'm getting @nal about the whole emo as a counterculture thing, but the whole emo thing started from hardcore punk in 1985 and is still a part of hardcore punk. i asked one of "those" kids about what they thought about it, they said, "pare, ang pagiging emo is emotional, emo music is music na may emotion!" and i was all, "wtf!? dude, there's no such thing as an emo culture, even if you trace it back to 1985 to 1994 and even as late as 1999 and 2003" and the only reaction i got was something like, "oo na, ang dami mo nang alam, yabang mo!" it's funny really, how insecure, image obsessed kids could latch on to a new trendy clutch so quickly. i mean, these kids don't even listen to real emo, all they listen to is stuff like Chiodos, Alesana, Dashboard Confessional, Typecast, Atreyu, Chicosci, Bring Me The Horizon, Drop Dead Gorgeous, Underoath, the Used and the likes. i dunno, it's not that i'm being elitist or something, but i'm just sick of how so many people pretend to know something they don't, and become so defensive if you try to share something you learned when you were in that position so long ago.

just in case people wanna know what emo is and have no idea of what it is prior to reading this post, lemme just give a short primer.

emo was a slightly derogatory term attached to the introspective approach of hardcore punk bands like Embrace and Rites of Spring who both came out in the Washington, DC scene in 1985. some 'zine referred to their introspectively expressive spin on hardcore as "emocore". ever since, the term sort of sideways stuck throughout emo's evolution.

very nice sir, +1000000! :-D

Offline putzi

« Reply #528 on: September 26, 2008, 10:01:53 PM »
READ IT AND WEEP. damnit. how many times do i have to post and repost this.

no offense to those kids who think they're emo, but it really gets on my nerves whenever i see some kid that looks like this...

now, it's not that i'm getting @nal about the whole emo as a counterculture thing, but the whole emo thing started from hardcore punk in 1985 and is still a part of hardcore punk. i asked one of "those" kids about what they thought about it, they said, "pare, ang pagiging emo is emotional, emo music is music na may emotion!" and i was all, "wtf!? dude, there's no such thing as an emo culture, even if you trace it back to 1985 to 1994 and even as late as 1999 and 2003" and the only reaction i got was something like, "oo na, ang dami mo nang alam, yabang mo!" it's funny really, how insecure, image obsessed kids could latch on to a new trendy clutch so quickly. i mean, these kids don't even listen to real emo, all they listen to is stuff like Chiodos, Alesana, Dashboard Confessional, Typecast, Atreyu, Chicosci, Bring Me The Horizon, Drop Dead Gorgeous, Underoath, the Used and the likes. i dunno, it's not that i'm being elitist or something, but i'm just sick of how so many people pretend to know something they don't, and become so defensive if you try to share something you learned when you were in that position so long ago.

just in case people wanna know what emo is and have no idea of what it is prior to reading this post, lemme just give a short primer.

emo was a slightly derogatory term attached to the introspective approach of hardcore punk bands like Embrace and Rites of Spring who both came out in the Washington, DC scene in 1985. some 'zine referred to their introspectively expressive spin on hardcore as "emocore". ever since, the term sort of sideways stuck throughout emo's evolution.

very nice sir, +1000000! :-D

Offline levitate

« Reply #529 on: September 27, 2008, 07:17:53 AM »
I like emo music... for a time, I even sported an emo looking haircut..for 8 months...  its just the look... But I like Yngwie Malmsteen and liempo as well.. :-D..hehehehe

Offline AljonGuzman

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #530 on: June 02, 2009, 12:28:08 PM »
               Funny it is not emo rock.

Offline am i clear?

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #531 on: June 02, 2009, 01:11:11 PM »
Lahat tayo naghahanap ng venue kung saan magiging tanggap tayo at pare-pareho tayong magkakaintindihan.

Kung dun nila nakita yun, let it be, bakit may masama ba silang nagagawa sa inyo? Totoo pa nga nyan eh, kayo pang bashers ang gumagawa ng masama sa kanila eh.

I love EMO-related music, masarap silang pakinggan. Todo emote pa nga minsan eh.

Yup, tama naging Fad na nga yang EMO culture. The way one dress, the way one speaks his mind is part of his/her rights. As well, as you BASHERs, rights nyo din yan.

Wag lang sana masyadong magbigay ng harsh na komento o aksyon against them.

Offline Jejan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #532 on: June 02, 2009, 01:36:16 PM »
To tell you the truth. There's no such thing as emo bands. You can call Celine Dion emo, and other artists emo. But there's no emo bands. Give an example of an emo band. "MCR"? Nah they're not emo. They're just dressed like that because that's what they are. But for me, "emotional music" is much MUCH better than metal. You wanna know why? It's because of the melody. For me, heavy metal bands just shout and that's it. You can never understand the lyrics when he's screaming them. I really like Bullet For My Valentine, because they're metal but their songs are really good. Solos are damn awesome too. I don't really like the vocalist to shout all the time and not sing like a real vocalist.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #533 on: June 02, 2009, 01:56:04 PM »
emo has a new flagship:

go figure.  :lol:
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline ninjeremy

« Reply #534 on: June 02, 2009, 09:17:22 PM »
Well I just wish my weight was EMO so it would cut by itself  :lol:

Best,
NINJeremy
Successful transactions with: Wesndestroy, khuxielog, dubista, turi, nalu, obetski, red_hot, juzvelyn, dread_head, haxo55, guitbox, doubletrouble, unoh, pao2pao16, wiccan8888, leonshredd, markv, daturd, alvinratsim  and some I have forgotten \m/

Offline .Geno.

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #535 on: June 02, 2009, 09:59:25 PM »
emo has a new flagship:

go figure.  :lol:

Americana Idol  :lol:

Showing off is the fool's idea of glory - Bruce Lee
That's what I see among "EMO's", puro porma.
As for me, my view on EMO Music is that it's expressive and very nice.
 :-D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 10:20:24 PM by .Geno. »

Offline killjom

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #536 on: June 02, 2009, 10:03:06 PM »
. For me, heavy metal bands just shout and that's it. You can never understand the lyrics when he's screaming them.

Are you sure sir?
Fear neither fire nor blood.

Offline IncX

« Reply #537 on: June 02, 2009, 10:13:38 PM »
But for me, "emotional music" is much MUCH better than metal. You wanna know why? It's because of the melody. For me, heavy metal bands just shout and that's it. You can never understand the lyrics when he's screaming them. I really like Bullet For My Valentine, because they're metal but their songs are really good. Solos are damn awesome too. I don't really like the vocalist to shout all the time and not sing like a real vocalist.

would have believed you until you put in Bullet For My Valentine, and suddenly you lost credibility.

for someone who doesnt listen to metal, you sure are quick to judge the genre.

Offline dudeofdude

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #538 on: June 02, 2009, 10:18:15 PM »
i think emo is a word used to describe individuals or groups, its not about the music anymore, it's a whole sub-culture of trend. "emo music" for me is made of redundant chord progressions, tasteless riffing and whiny vocals.

all songs have their emotions, i don't know why you have to label certain music emotional when all music have their own emotions. remember boyz2men? their songs are sadder than holocaust but i wouldn't call their music emo.
hanggang ngayon hindi ko parin alam ang tunog ng ipis

Offline saijo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #539 on: June 02, 2009, 10:21:16 PM »
@ AljonGuzman,nice job on bringing this thread back..and its your first post too..Well played sir.
These pranks are very insensitive and mean-spirited.

Offline ninjeremy

« Reply #540 on: June 02, 2009, 11:27:26 PM »
i think emo is a word used to describe individuals or groups, its not about the music anymore, it's a whole sub-culture of trend.

For some reason I agree with your point. Have once overheard two "emo looking" teenagers talking about how they hate punk  :lol:

Best,
NINJeremy
Successful transactions with: Wesndestroy, khuxielog, dubista, turi, nalu, obetski, red_hot, juzvelyn, dread_head, haxo55, guitbox, doubletrouble, unoh, pao2pao16, wiccan8888, leonshredd, markv, daturd, alvinratsim  and some I have forgotten \m/

Offline wh1t33rick

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #541 on: June 03, 2009, 09:33:12 AM »
I think sub-cultures sprout because of a certain form of genre, in which case there exist emo which doesnt have definitions yet to conclude for that matter, that happened to punk before IMHO :lol:
"I Don't care what they say about me but it's alright..they'll get it one day.."

Make God Famous

Offline odessa

« Reply #542 on: June 03, 2009, 11:35:06 AM »
In my own opinion, EMO is just music-infused fashion, or the other way around. We used to have Glam Rock (short for glamour rock), as in David Bowie, Marc Bolan & T. Rex, Elton John, The New York Dolls, Ian Hunter & Mott The Hoople and many more. I think Glam Rock mutated to New Wave and New Wave to EMO. Things very descriptive of them during performances are the theatrical costumes, flambouyant lyrics and outrageous stage presence. Just my opinion. I may be wrong, I may be right.

Offline domengshu

« Reply #543 on: June 03, 2009, 12:16:49 PM »
My first impression on Emo was this was the genre when punk and hardcore got mashed up - this was when I discovered Finch, Thursday and the like. But hey, right now it looks like Emo is fashion and culture, just like Glam and Punk, only the music that accompanies the culture has become broad..

And I think it has become too broad to identify music that is Emo .

Just recently I was listening to some Smashing Pumpkins - Landslide and Tonight, Tonight, and someone commented that they were Emo.  :?

Offline daryl090804

• Veteran Member
« Reply #544 on: June 03, 2009, 01:44:08 PM »
I remember this one time, a kid on the LRT talking about his friend's shirt.

Kid 1: Pare, ok yang t-shirt mo, Cradle of Filth
Kid 2: Oo tol, emo yan. Naglalagay pa nga ng makeup mga yan e.

:?

Emo's become such a trend that it's not even funny anymore.
Part of the Jackson Bloodline

Offline marcus_gloom

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #545 on: June 03, 2009, 01:57:56 PM »
As guitarist, IMO, emo is just cleaned down punk, modernized into a form of contemporary pop rock music. Power chords, pa mute-mute, pa pause-pause, to make the bagsakan dynamic and interesting. Sa gitara yun.

Un lyrics, any form of rock music has "emotional" lyrics. Please dont equate the Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana and other earlier artists/bands to these new acts, they are ROCK.

Ok naman ang Emo, music pa rin, cool sa mga kids, uso e. May ilang acts na ok at nag sh-shine, but im afraid the many copycats kinda cheapens the art of the genre. Personally, ok sa tenga ko ang dashboard and paramore. Locally, typecast has the coolest guitar riffs around.

Offline Jejan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #546 on: June 05, 2009, 11:36:23 AM »
For me. Emo music is okay. Because it has meaning and it is very melodic. You gotta love those emotional lines. But other people misunderstood emo and they thought that it's all about the looks. I mean, they made an image to emo music and it led to bad results. It ended up hating the emo bands and there's discrimination. There are emo bands in the 80's and 90's but they didn't wore make up. :D

Emo people where's this (IMHO)

-Long bangs covering one eye and short hair at the back and spikey
-Fat framed black square glasses
-Eyeliner
-Contact Lens (Optional)
-Small black t-shirt (Extra Small for slim people)
-Studded belt (two of them at the same time)
-Black skinny jeans (the one that'll make you look like a scuba diver)
-Black Vans slip-ons/Chuck Taylor (Worn out)

Offline rayannsupershredder

« Reply #547 on: June 05, 2009, 12:03:34 PM »
EMO? magdrama na lang kyo...  8-) teka way back in the 90's emotional yung lyrics ng bandang pearl jam ah..

Offline charles_h

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #548 on: June 05, 2009, 04:57:41 PM »
mali ang conception ng mga tao sa emo e. ang tingin ng iba basta madrama, emo na kagad. uh, hello? narinig niyo na ba ung honestly ng harem scarem? may mas-eemo pa ba dun?? :P
cheers.

Offline tweenty-seven

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #549 on: June 05, 2009, 05:03:34 PM »
I remember this one time, a kid on the LRT talking about his friend's shirt.

Kid 1: Pare, ok yang t-shirt mo, Cradle of Filth
Kid 2: Oo tol, emo yan. Naglalagay pa nga ng makeup mga yan e.

:?

Emo's become such a trend that it's not even funny anymore.

yung music itself ok sakin..pero tama ka sir, yan yung isa sa mga reason bakit medyo nakaka irita mga bata na pag nakita mo mga parang cosplayer na
numeroh_unoh, mondemonle, deathbymistake, iandomld, shodawmoon, pentagramX, gitardy, vincejezzrell, bossingboss, crypt, haxo55, luk3, xboughtbybloodx, bimbo, gunslinger13, lisza12,marshidalgo, pinkybrief, onji, palmuteboi, dime001, master_jeremiah