hulika

Author Topic: Guitarists' view on Emo music  (Read 71884 times)

Offline lowtuneduser

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Guitarists' view on Emo music
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2007, 12:21:26 AM »
finch rocks. ganda ng tone. tapang. nice arrangement too. especially one of those version of "what it is to burn" - in you face intro. not sure of the lyrics though imo.
+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
ESP LTD Viper 301 • Dimebag Crybaby •  Boss NS-2 • Boss ML-2 • Boss GE-7 • Boss BF-3 • Boss PH-2 • Boss TR-2 • Boss DD-3 • Korg DT-3 Tuner • Kalikot Audio PSU • GHS ZW String (.11-.70) • Custom Pedalb

Offline jaythegame

• Veteran Member
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2007, 12:35:22 AM »
1. i hate them whiny vocals of the "new emo"
2. true emo is dead.
3. "new emo" is over commercialized
4. new bands w/c are not emo are considered emo because it is the "trend"
5. too many posers/kupaws/inutil/orcs
6. how dare they say that Coheed & Cambria are "emo"?
7. they are weak.
8. all they do is complain at how miserable their lives are.
    tip: deal with it or if you plan on committing suicide by slitting your wrists, it's down the road.. not across the street.

amen to that, my friend.. i think they say that coheed and cambira is emo because they are signed on an emo label (correct me if im wrong pero i think im wrong abt this.. :-P)
geeesh

Offline lowtuneduser

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2007, 12:41:53 AM »
1. i hate them whiny vocals of the "new emo"
2. true emo is dead.
3. "new emo" is over commercialized
4. new bands w/c are not emo are considered emo because it is the "trend"
5. too many posers/kupaws/inutil/orcs
6. how dare they say that Coheed & Cambria are "emo"?
7. they are weak.
8. all they do is complain at how miserable their lives are.
    tip: deal with it or if you plan on committing suicide by slitting your wrists, it's down the road.. not across the street.

amen to that, my friend.. i think they say that coheed and cambira is emo because they are signed on an emo label (correct me if im wrong pero i think im wrong abt this.. :-P)
hehe sana hindi mo na lang sinabe :lol: peace.
ESP LTD Viper 301 • Dimebag Crybaby •  Boss NS-2 • Boss ML-2 • Boss GE-7 • Boss BF-3 • Boss PH-2 • Boss TR-2 • Boss DD-3 • Korg DT-3 Tuner • Kalikot Audio PSU • GHS ZW String (.11-.70) • Custom Pedalb

Offline queso_

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2007, 12:52:50 AM »
cguro traumatized lang ako sa nakita ko kasi i used to hand out with a bunch of emo listeners back then....one time, nag iinuman kami and they brought some guys from laguna (shempre mga emo din)... nung nagkalasingan na, i asked them "ano ba tlaga yung genre na emo na yan?". the two guys from laguna suddenly smiled and started french-kissing!!! after that they told me "ganun kaming mga emo pre...you'll often mistake us as fags but were just overflowing with emotions..."

after nun, tinigil ko ng magpunta dun....

hahaha reason is overflowing with emotions??!! f*ck them.. khit ako flowing with emotions d ako mang kikiss ang ka uri ko.. amp yan tol bigla ako nandiri sa mga emo kids na ganun ah..

OT: ung saosin's seven years at ung typecast's breathe to the glass pareho.. hahahaah emo talaga amp yan.. metal forever!!!!! :mrgreen:

Offline lowtuneduser

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2007, 12:56:16 AM »
haha nghahalikan! :evil:

Offline Muzzle

• Netizen Level
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2007, 01:24:22 AM »

cguro traumatized lang ako sa nakita ko kasi i used to hand out with a bunch of emo listeners back then....one time, nag iinuman kami and they brought some guys from laguna (shempre mga emo din)... nung nagkalasingan na, i asked them "ano ba tlaga yung genre na emo na yan?". the two guys from laguna suddenly smiled and started french-kissing!!! after that they told me "ganun kaming mga emo pre...you'll often mistake us as fags but were just overflowing with emotions..."

[apple] na yan. :-D
Buti na lang ung Grunge nung araw hindi nabahiran ng ganyan. :-D

actually cobain and bassist krist novoselic kissed on a saturday night live episode. and there are rumors that cobain is somewhat gay. or were you sarcastic?
breathing underwater, living under glass

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2007, 01:34:23 AM »

actually cobain and bassist krist novoselic kissed on a saturday night live episode. and there are rumors that cobain is somewhat gay. or were you sarcastic?

nakita ko yan pero hindi sa SNL yan, yung sa SNL alam ko nag group hug sila dun parang nag ti trip lang sila 3, pero yung naghalikan si cobain at novoselic sa VCD nila dati yun yung live tonight, sold out

Offline queso_

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2007, 01:34:49 AM »

kya cguro pinatay sya ni courtney kce nalamang gay sya.. :-)

Offline lowtuneduser

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2007, 01:43:18 AM »

kya cguro pinatay sya ni courtney kce nalamang gay sya.. :-)
hindi,nagpakamatay siya kase may iba daw lalake si krist novoselic :evil: peace!

Offline reps

« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2007, 01:55:59 AM »
finch rocks. ganda ng tone. tapang. nice arrangement too. especially one of those version of "what it is to burn" - in you face intro. not sure of the lyrics though imo.
+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
+10^1000000 grabe nga intro nun. In your face talaga. Onga, malupit yung arrangement.
I would never consider Co&Ca emo. Astig yung Welcome Home nila.  :-D
feedback is your friend

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2007, 02:56:24 AM »
Coheed and Cambria is hard rock..maybe progressive. I do know Claudio considers themselves prog rock.

Emo? Eh, whatever. Who cares about labels? Whocares about whether it is "astig" or not? The people who play in the bands play - some better than others. I've seen enough of the bands and even played with some of them to know that the emo scene, like the hardcore scene (pick your locale - new england, midwest, west coast...), all have their own share of posers. Yung nga, the guys and girls who play in the scene do it because they love playing and, to me, that is ALL that counts.

The guitar sound of emo/ hardcore/ post hardcore music is one of the many guitar sounds I like. I like high gain amps. I like technicality in my playing. I like different chord and key changes.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2007, 02:57:08 AM »
cguro traumatized lang ako sa nakita ko kasi i used to hang out with a bunch of emo listeners back then....one time, nag iinuman kami and they brought some guys from laguna (shempre mga emo din)... nung nagkalasingan na, i asked them "ano ba tlaga yung genre na emo na yan?". the two guys from laguna suddenly smiled and started french-kissing!!! after that they told me "ganun kaming mga emo pre...you'll often mistake us as fags but were just overflowing with emotions..."

hahaha reason is overflowing with emotions??!! f*ck them.. khit ako flowing with emotions d ako mang kikiss ang ka uri ko.. amp yan tol bigla ako nandiri sa mga emo kids na ganun ah..

OT: ung saosin's seven years at ung typecast's breathe to the glass pareho.. hahahaah emo talaga amp yan.. metal forever!!!!! :mrgreen:

yun lang yung naging reaction ko dun...kasi unang tingin ko sa kanila lalake sila e...mga lalake naman tlaga siguro sila pero yung gawin nila yun sa harap ko para lang maexplain na yun ang emo edi shempre mali na agad pasok sa kukote ko...

yung isa nga sa kanila tuwing babatiin ko ng "kamusta?" ang laging sagot e "i wanna die, pare."...pero muka naman syang walang problema...o isa lang sya sa exaggerated version ng emo-poser...basta

inuulit ko lang na di ako against sa mga emo...yung musicality nila e kapareho din naman ng sa ibang genre,minsan mas magaling pa...ang di ko lang maintindihan e itong mga bagong kabataan na mashadong exaggerated at hindi ko na maintindihan...hindi naman lahat sa kanila e may away sa magulang - minsan sila pa gumagawa ng sarili nilang away sa parents nila e...hindi naman lahat e broken hearted - yung iba madrama lang pero makikita mo may syota....at higit sa lahat, hindi lahat e suicidal - kaya sana wag puro paglalaslas ng wrist ang iniisip..yung song na naririnig nila e pedeng i-convert into something positive para maging maayos buhay nila diba?
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline jaythegame

• Veteran Member
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2007, 03:26:58 AM »
cguro traumatized lang ako sa nakita ko kasi i used to hang out with a bunch of emo listeners back then....one time, nag iinuman kami and they brought some guys from laguna (shempre mga emo din)... nung nagkalasingan na, i asked them "ano ba tlaga yung genre na emo na yan?". the two guys from laguna suddenly smiled and started french-kissing!!! after that they told me "ganun kaming mga emo pre...you'll often mistake us as fags but were just overflowing with emotions..."

yun lang yung naging reaction ko dun...kasi unang tingin ko sa kanila lalake sila e...mga lalake naman tlaga siguro sila pero yung gawin nila yun sa harap ko para lang maexplain na yun ang emo edi shempre mali na agad pasok sa kukote ko...

yung isa nga sa kanila tuwing babatiin ko ng "kamusta?" ang laging sagot e "i wanna die, pare."...pero muka naman syang walang problema...o isa lang sya sa exaggerated version ng emo-poser...basta

inuulit ko lang na di ako against sa mga emo...yung musicality nila e kapareho din naman ng sa ibang genre,minsan mas magaling pa...ang di ko lang maintindihan e itong mga bagong kabataan na mashadong exaggerated at hindi ko na maintindihan...hindi naman lahat sa kanila e may away sa magulang - minsan sila pa gumagawa ng sarili nilang away sa parents nila e...hindi naman lahat e broken hearted - yung iba madrama lang pero makikita mo may syota....at higit sa lahat, hindi lahat e suicidal - kaya sana wag puro paglalaslas ng wrist ang iniisip..yung song na naririnig nila e pedeng i-convert into something positive para maging maayos buhay nila diba?

heres what other emo kids are doin to help other people treat depression and their suicidal tendencies: http://twloha.com/  its a non-profit organization in the US at emo bands ang nagppromote nito.. :-D
geeesh

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2007, 04:52:11 AM »
speaking of finch, i saw thenm on letterman once or leno, huuuuge pedalboard! what amps do they use? pedals? how do you emulate that "synth" type intro on what it is to burn? any ideas?
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2007, 09:30:25 AM »
another + 1 to whiny vocals, that's what puts me off.

but the guitar work ain't too bad. some of it is really cool stuff once you've managed to block off the annoying whining.

let's just say emo is /wrists because the song writers get right to the point. i hate my parents i'm gonna /wrists, my gf is a bitch /wrists etc and look at the age of those band members, most are in their early 20s.

as per the followers, do you know how boring and annoying life is in most white countries? can't drink/smoke til you're 18/21, can't go into bars til you're 18/21. so a lot of them dress up and imitate said emo bands to find something to do, and something to whine about as well. otherwise, once they hit 18/21 it's boozing and clubbing time. goodbye emo outfits! :lol:

Offline alon

• Netizen Level
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2007, 09:51:08 AM »

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2007, 10:10:59 AM »
as per the followers, do you know how boring and annoying life is in most white countries? can't drink/smoke til you're 18/21, can't go into bars til you're 18/21. so a lot of them dress up and imitate said emo bands to find something to do, and something to whine about as well. otherwise, once they hit 18/21 it's boozing and clubbing time. goodbye emo outfits! :lol:

That is a pretty broad generalization. Have you ever lived in a "White" country? Well, you can drink and smoke at as young an age as you want (as long as you can get away with it without getting a beat down from the 'rents). However, you can't legally buy alcohol or smokes until you are 21 (at least in the US, I can't speak for the other "white" countries). As for the bars, there are alternative venues for the under-21 crowd, plus sometimes you do not need to go to the bar or the club, theres always parties (someone you know, knows someone, who knows someone, who knows where the party is...) I just recently played a 21-and-over venue (the Gig on Melrose Blvd.) and there were guys that looked 'emo' but there was no emo band playing that night. For some, the look is just how they decided to dress up, its just a fashion trend. Anyway, I digress....

Offline sweeplikevai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2007, 11:24:05 AM »
Art
everybody's talkin 'bout new sound,, funny but its still rock en roll to me..

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2007, 11:43:35 AM »

That is a pretty broad generalization. Have you ever lived in a "White" country? Well, you can drink and smoke at as young an age as you want (as long as you can get away with it without getting a beat down from the 'rents). However, you can't legally buy alcohol or smokes until you are 21 (at least in the US, I can't speak for the other "white" countries). As for the bars, there are alternative venues for the under-21 crowd, plus sometimes you do not need to go to the bar or the club, theres always parties (someone you know, knows someone, who knows someone, who knows where the party is...) I just recently played a 21-and-over venue (the Gig on Melrose Blvd.) and there were guys that looked 'emo' but there was no emo band playing that night. For some, the look is just how they decided to dress up, its just a fashion trend. Anyway, I digress....

I agree. THAT "white country" tag was a generalization. If I got a buck for every joke I heard about that "brown" country the Philippines, I'd be rich. An example? Is everyone that comes out of your country a nurse or a CNA?
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline Domengik

« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2007, 12:07:37 PM »
Tama na yang away. lahat tayo isinilang sa dugong HIPHOP!Dito sa amin, madaming gumagamit, di lang gumagamit ngnanakaw pa ng gamit! :-D :-D :-D
"I was taught to think the next week or month or year will only get better than it is today. So I just keep waiting to see how great it will get!"
   --Stevie Ray Vaughan

Offline vinz

• Board Moderator
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2007, 02:27:33 PM »
view ko lang po ha...naging trend na kasi ang EMO or naging fashion nalang sabihin na nating impluwensiya lang ng iba kasi nakikisakay sila sa Existing Genre talaga...sisihin natin yung mga lazy kids na anjan ang internet,books at hindi sila magresearch about dun sa ginagawa nila (pagiging EMO)...pwede naman hindi ka pumorma ng ganun tapos tugtog ka ng EMO hehehe...ala GLASSJAW although Post Hardcore sila at mga Straight-Edge...pero they can be melodic din ala EMO...

pero musically...kaya in ang EMOPUNK,EMOCORE,SCREAMO,...may mga hints of talents yung music nila eh...melodic,catchy overdriven riffs,melodic solo's etc. maraming magagaling na gitarista bahista at drummer ang "EMO" Genre (i dont know if its proper) for Ex. Quinn Allman ng The Used (maraming techniques din na ginagawa to sa mga songs nila)...maraming mga ibang bands din na na ta typecast na EMO like AS I LAY DYING and ATREYU (they are categorized as METALCORE) URBANDUB (may pagkaoriginal yung tunog nila) kasi hindi narereview ng mabuti yung music nila...kumbaga may sig. ang EMO na pag narinig o nakita nila sayo EMO ka na...

pero good para sa akin ang music nato (actually i only listen sa mga magaganda yung songs,melodic,may depth ang music especially the lyrics) pero pag walang kwenta pagkatapos ko pakinggan eh hindi ko nagustuhan hindi ko na papakinggan ulit ganun lang naman hehehe :-D

add ko lang to:

"Correctly or not, emo has often been used to describe such bands as AFI, Alexisonfire, Brand New, Bright Eyes, Coheed and Cambria, Death Cab for Cutie, Fall Out Boy, From First to Last, Funeral for a Friend, Hawthorne Heights, My Chemical Romance, Panic! at the Disco, Senses Fail, Something Corporate, The Starting Line, Story of the Year, Taking Back Sunday, Thursday, The Used, and Underoath.[11] The classification of bands as "emo" is often controversial. Fans of several of the listed bands have recoiled at the use of the "emo" tag, and have gone to great lengths to explain why they don't qualify as "emo". In many cases, the term has simply been attached to them because of musical similarites, a common fashion sense, or because of the band's popularity within the "emo" scene, not because the band adheres to emo as a music genre."

« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 02:35:53 PM by vinz »

Offline queso_

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2007, 02:33:40 PM »

hahahahah natawa ako dude dun sa " i wanna die, pare".. eh bkt kya ako nakikinig ako ng emo pero i dont wanna die.. d ko maintindihan utak nung mga un.. anu un para maging cool sila pag sinasabi nila un?? anu cool sa pag susuicide?  pero syempre d naman lahat ganun :?

Offline queso_

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2007, 02:37:09 PM »
view ko lang po ha...naging trend na kasi ang EMO or naging fashion nalang sabihin na nating impluwensiya lang ng iba kasi nakikisakay sila sa Existing Genre talaga...sisihin natin yung mga lazy kids na anjan ang internet,books at hindi sila magresearch about dun sa ginagawa nila (pagiging EMO)...pwede naman hindi ka pumorma ng ganun tapos tugtog ka ng EMO hehehe...ala GLASSJAW although Post Hardcore sila at mga Straight-Edge...pero they can be melodic din ala EMO...

pero musically...kaya in ang EMOPUNK,EMOCORE,SCREAMO,...may mga hints of talents yung music nila eh...melodic,catchy overdriven riffs,melodic solo's etc. maraming magagaling na gitarista bahista at drummer ang "EMO" Genre (i dont know if its proper) for Ex. Quinn Allman ng The Used (maraming techniques din na ginagawa to sa mga songs nila)...maraming mga ibang bands din na na ta typecast na EMO like AS I LAY DYING and ATREYU (they are categorized as METALCORE) URBANDUB (may pagkaoriginal yung tunog nila) kasi hindi narereview ng mabuti yung music nila...kumbaga may sig. ang EMO na pag narinig o nakita nila sayo EMO ka na...

pero good para sa akin ang music nato (actually i only listen sa mga magaganda yung songs,melodic,may depth ang music especially the lyrics) pero pag walang kwenta pagkatapos ko pakinggan eh hindi ko nagustuhan hindi ko na papakinggan ulit ganun lang naman hehehe :-D

add ko lang to:

"Correctly or not, emo has often been used to describe such bands as AFI, Alexisonfire, Brand New, Bright Eyes, Coheed and Cambria, Death Cab for Cutie, Fall Out Boy, From First to Last, Funeral for a Friend, Hawthorne Heights, My Chemical Romance, Panic! at the Disco, Senses Fail, Something Corporate, The Starting Line, Story of the Year, Taking Back Sunday, Thursday, The Used, and Underoath.[11] The classification of bands as "emo" is often controversial. Fans of several of the listed bands have recoiled at the use of the "emo" tag, and have gone to great lengths to explain why they don't qualify as "emo". In many cases, the term has simply been attached to them because of musical similarites, a common fashion sense, or because of the band's popularity within the "emo" scene, not because the band adheres to emo as a music genre."

dude sorry for my ignorance.. anu ba meaning nung straight edge, nakita ko rin kce un sa mga comments sa glassjaw sa youtube.. astig paren glassjaw.

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2007, 04:17:19 PM »

yeah that's waht i meant, can't LEGALLY buy drinks/smokes/enter most good bars. and yes i've lived.. am living ina  "white" country  :wink:

Offline vinz

• Board Moderator
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2007, 04:19:05 PM »
dude sorry for my ignorance.. anu ba meaning nung straight edge, nakita ko rin kce un sa mga comments sa glassjaw sa youtube.. astig paren glassjaw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_Edge

check mo nalang bro...parang practice siya eh  :-D