hulika

Author Topic: Guitarists' view on Emo music  (Read 71936 times)

Offline miggy

Re: Guitarists' view on Emo music
« Reply #200 on: January 26, 2008, 03:50:59 PM »
di ko maintindihan ang emo eh, pero madaming may gusto. ewan! hehehehe! goodluck nalang sa mga emo.  :-D

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #201 on: January 26, 2008, 03:53:51 PM »
emo is clearly not about lyrics.

emo is about the look, the whine, the group of people.

hale is wussy but not emo.

pinoy emo mas matindi - gaya-gaya. di manlang nilagyan ng sariling input e. straight out gaya lang.

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #202 on: January 26, 2008, 03:56:55 PM »
emo or emotional music...

they just express their feelings.

nothing wrong with it, except the idea of "slitting their wrist"

There is no tone. There is only music.

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #203 on: January 26, 2008, 03:59:21 PM »

emo is about the look, the whine, the group of people.

hale is wussy but not emo.

pinoy emo mas matindi - gaya-gaya. di manlang nilagyan ng sariling input e. straight out gaya lang.

they put their whining into lyrics. the common "thought" or "feeling" of the group.
There is no tone. There is only music.

Offline doksplata

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #204 on: January 26, 2008, 04:28:45 PM »

bro, it is about lyrics....

that scream and whining is what you call style...
and most bands na emo eh hardcore punk ang genre kaya nagegeneralize lahat...

most of the songs ng hale eh melancholic,meaning emotional = EMO

EMO -  Full of emotion....

it is in the context not in the looks
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 04:42:48 PM by doksplata »

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #205 on: January 26, 2008, 04:42:12 PM »

ahh, some say kasi it all started with the fashion. if some will say its the context, eh noon pa daw may emo. dami raw kasi mga 'emotional fullness' and mga context ng mga old songs..

maybe kaya nadiin at napunta sa kasikatan ng 'emo' is because on how the emotional delivery of the song by the artists at the same time the looks that the performer has.. so parang 1+1=2.

that's what i heard. bottom line, emo is still music, music is still the universal language..

Offline doksplata

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #206 on: January 26, 2008, 04:50:38 PM »
parang ganun bro..

and most bands na emo eh hardcore punk ang genre kaya nagegeneralize lahat...

most of the songs ng hale eh melancholic,meaning emotional = EMO

nilagyan lang ng style kaya napansin ng mga tao...

parang ganito...tawag natin sa pangit manamit dati baduy

ngayon jologs na..

kung sasabihin nating "jologs manamit si elvis(example lang)nung panahon nya"

eh parehas din ng "baduy
 manamit si elvis ng panahon nya.."

bagong term lang yung emo..pero dati nang meron nyan...

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #207 on: January 26, 2008, 05:46:31 PM »
NO.

sentimental lyrics does not mean the song or artist is EMO. pyrotechnics? NO. makeup? NO. i think you are VERY off on this, sidelead. VERY OFF. pantera? haha, dude naman!  :-P

EMO is the sum of the lyrics, delivery, look and community (which is usually limited to a specific age group).

yes, there were early EMO bands but Elvis was not EMO. The Beatles or Led Zep were not EMO. Don't deface the greats. Please.  :lol:

EMO is not a term or adjective although people use it as such. I guess its a noun that specifically refers to THAT group of fans and artists wether they deny it or not, with the membership to THAT group being very debatable and blurry and easily deniable. hahah.

Guitar-wise, may magagaling talaga.   
But as songwriters, I mean, COME ON......an entire album of mopey songs??
It gets old and boring.

I'm not dissing EMO. (But I did diss the saktong copycats of EMO here in the Philippines...)

But I do wish EMO dies or evolves into a more intelligent genre.

Again, EMO is not just EMOTIONAL MUSIC.

Deftones can be EMOTIONAL. They influenced EMO in some ways. BUT THE DEFTONES ARE NOT EMO!!!   

(wala naman nagsabi DITO na emo sila, but following the logic of the previous posts, ANYONE CAN BE CALLED EMO...and that is ONE BIG FALLACY)

« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 09:53:11 AM by chromeknive »

Offline doksplata

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #208 on: January 26, 2008, 05:54:40 PM »
so EMO.... :lol:

Offline mikeiow

« Reply #209 on: January 26, 2008, 07:10:35 PM »
so EMO.... :lol:

yeah...it's so like boy abunda,  :-D
"a true friend stabs you in the front"

Offline chito_eoi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #210 on: January 26, 2008, 07:39:19 PM »
pansin ko lang, dami ayaw sa EMO
tingin ko pana-panahon lang yan!

early 90's ang daming banda na ayaw sa ERASERHEADS kase sell-out band daw sila and baduy daw music nila.
...ngayon ICON na sila!

Offline Chromatic_Sweeper

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #211 on: January 26, 2008, 07:45:31 PM »
NO.

sentimental lyrics does not mean the song or artist is EMO. pyrotechnics? NO. makeup? NO. i think you are VERY off on this, sidelead. VERY OFF. pantera? haha, dude naman!  :-P

SIYETT!!! YOU GOT IT RIGHT THERE,MAN. If EMO is all about sentimental lyrics, whining and " I wanna die" stuff. Eh di si IMELDA PAPIN emo na nuon pa. At yung mga nagsisilabasan ngayon, kulugo na lang niya! :-D

EMO is the sum of the lyrics, delivery, look and community (which is usually limited to a specific age group).

yes, there were early EMO bands but Elvis was not EMO. The Beatles or Led Zep were not EMO. Pwede ba? Okay? haha...Kadire! Don't deface the greats. Please.  :lol

...kung sino naman kasi nagsabi na basta may "whining" sa kanta EMO na. tsk!tsk!tsk! Yun and dapat mag slash ng throat wag na wrist.

EMO is not a term or adjective although people use it as such. I guess its a noun that specifically refers to THAT group of fans and artists wether they deny it or not, with the membership to THAT group being very debatable and blurry and easily deniable. hahah.

a.k.a POSERS. kung saan, meron at ano ang "IN" dun sila.

Guitar-wise, may magagaling talaga.   
But as songwriters, I mean, COME ON......an entire album of mopey songs??
It gets old and boring.

I'm not dissing EMO. (But I did diss the saktong copycats of EMO here in the Philippines...)

But I do wish EMO dies or evolves into a more intelligent genre.

I AGREE..and I hope that genre comes from the deep bowels of Philippine music, para nman may matawag na sa atin lang.

Again, EMO is not just EMOTIONAL MUSIC.

My Deftones can be EMOTIONAL. They influenced EMO in some ways. BUT THE DEFTONES ARE NOT EMO ZOMGWTF!!!   

(wala naman nagsabi DITO na emo sila, but following the logic of the previous posts, ANYONE CAN BE CALLED EMO...and that is ONE BIG FALLACY)

methinks, some have completely missed the point of this thread. some of them may not be even a guitarist (see the title of this thread puhhhleeeeeeze)

Sucessful shipping deals with lorzfunk,biboymusic,jeijo3,mystikspiral,roni_whiz,ytse_neil,allanm, Mr_Strap, stgmd,Mastathump,rockhouse,guitarworld,quietstorm,kernelsalonpas,drachirnna24,graywall

Offline edalbkrad

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #212 on: January 26, 2008, 09:13:37 PM »
it seems that the emo hairstyle was derived from anime and cartoons:

Offline nealyu

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #213 on: January 26, 2008, 09:50:58 PM »
yung mga tao gusto maging anime look a like kaya ginaya yung mga buhok sa anime and emo hair was born wahaha

Offline jaythegame

• Veteran Member
« Reply #214 on: January 27, 2008, 03:24:53 AM »
i can take EARLY emo music.. pero yung hairstyle talaga, hindi ko kaya, at kung bakit kailangan maging malungkot everywhere.. uso ba yun?
geeesh

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #215 on: January 27, 2008, 03:59:09 AM »
emo is going to die in 2-3 years max. so enough of this bs.
"We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
'Nd everybody warms themselves to a different fire..."

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #216 on: January 27, 2008, 04:08:17 AM »
if the guys (or girls) can play, that is cool with me - a good song is a good song regardless of how they look.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline blasphemous_grim

« Reply #217 on: January 27, 2008, 04:49:27 AM »
Emo + guy to guy torrid  kissing = Girly men..  :-D  :-D nyahhahahaha

Offline noto.emo

« Reply #218 on: January 27, 2008, 06:50:56 AM »
emo sucks! mostly, new "bands" from hs/college are playing emo... and they have almost the same gears, same guitars so they sounds the same... kasi hiraman sila pag battle of the bands... its ok... but i prefer... improve skills before porma... peace! :mrgreen:

Offline markv

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #219 on: January 27, 2008, 10:52:07 AM »
Guitarists' view on Emo music

they're like backstreet boys trying to play modern rock!

Offline posera!!

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #220 on: January 27, 2008, 11:02:15 AM »
hmm ok din naman mga emo bands like bless the fall, eneter shikari, alesana,saosin, underoath etc.. pero di ka gagaling kung eto lang ang tugtugan mo.. hehe nauso lang talaga  :-D
Oh abandoned hearts with a battle cry we move to You we surrender
oh lead us forth oh Lord for now is the time to show out Your love we're moving forward we'll wait no more
because Your spirit is strong Your spirit is strong

Offline rolexm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #221 on: January 27, 2008, 11:13:10 AM »
Emo isn't really a genre IMO. It's just a fad. Sprung out from punk, and post hardcore.. + the EMOtion = EMO.

However, for a fad, it's taking quite some time to fade. I guess society might be embracing that already.

Offline keida

« Reply #222 on: January 27, 2008, 11:42:11 AM »
emo, back in the day, was a joke term.
though i spent a lot of my time listening to these 90's "emo" bands,
alongside the hardcore and punk bands it co existed with.

sure it was standard fare for bands, especially all those pop punk/skatepunk variety to sing about teenage life, about girlfriends, falling in love and breaking up.
it was all fun. it was easy to write about.

writing about sadness and failure is also quite easier. and these mid 90's bands took it as a release.

but the joke with being depressed and suicide and all that stuff was taken too far.
now, sadly, what we all know as "emo" is a caricature of that joke. mix it up with fashionistas, a good pair of jeans, fashionable shirts, hair and guyliner...
plus the fact that the word "emo" was quite a tagline that no one quite understood, and when some bands like jimmyeatworld, texas is the reason, promise ring, jawbox, saves the day, made it big, and started to get mainstream attention, the people in the business had to put a new tag or buzzword to help it sell. and all the negative aspects just stuck.

id rather call these bands nowadays as pop metal or just plain pop. bands like underoath, saosin, or whatever band you see gracing the cover of alternative press, have become the new face of pop. they're really good. some of them gawdawful with more cliches than you can shake a stick at.

and since it sells, people are riding the wave. now go check out aiden and the likes. tama yung nag sabi na backstreetboys, or sila yung bagong boybands nowadays.

but listening to the old "emo" bands taught me the value of dynamic songwriting.
noisy lines to quiet interludes then building up to a huge sound was intrinsic in their music. very spartan guitarwork at times then some melodic riffing. lately the genre has cross-pollinated with uber tech metal riffage.

last week a band from australia named eucalypt played three dates here in the philippines. they have been on tour for more than a month with 2 equally amazing malaysian bands, justkneeta and kias fansuri. and their style just blew me away. reminiscent of bands from ebullition records and level plane. the type of emo that never really got popular with the masses. for a lack of a better term, emoviolence was what we called it back then. despite the [gooey brown stuff] gear,and just playing straight to the amps,they had a huge wall of sound.  :-D
i think i damaged my hearing after their sets.

now i wish more bands played in that style.
i guess paengkee would approve of this, right? lol.
need a photographer? check my work: http://xkeidax.deviantart.com http://flickr.com/photos/xkeidax
-to see with eyes unclouded by hate -

Offline IncX

« Reply #223 on: January 27, 2008, 11:49:25 AM »

now i wish more bands played in that style.
i guess paengkee would approve of this, right? lol.

if we had money, we would have been there in manila to play with kias fansuri *lol*

so yeah, i think paeng would love that... although i think our vocalist is really the one who'd enjoy it the most.

im really not that familiar with "real emo" music, but im starting to like songs left and right.

and yeah, i agree with your views... emo is the new pop ... i dont change the channel when i see beyonce knowles singing her ballads  but it took me 20 seconds of listening to my chemical romance before i changed the channel...

Offline IncX

« Reply #224 on: January 27, 2008, 11:58:17 AM »
The Cure WILL never be emo.... They're one of the founders of Goth. Lame... I'm not referring to paengkee. I'm just so pissed that they compare that fag genre to goth. or if not compare, dare to include the name of the band who founded goth.

i dont even think the cure are goth... sure they had goth songs and a goth album "disintegration" and maybe you can consider "blood flowers" goth too (its a great album which reminds me - i should put that on now!)... however they sure are one of the mainstream bands that bought the goth sound out (again, because of select songs and albums)...

robert smith said he considers the cure as more of a "raincoat" band... in a sense that he writes sad lyrics and music while the drummer loves those punk rock "happy" beats.

i have to credit robert smith for making that "edward scissorhands"  goth fashion though.

want more proof that cure isnt goth? "Friday I'm in Love," "Just Like Even," "Don't Say Yes," etc.

the cure being NOT GOTH is the reason why i love them more... i believe bands should never box themselves to certain genres... you'll end up painting yourself in a corner with that...