hulika

Author Topic: Guitarists' view on Emo music  (Read 71946 times)

Offline franz3

Re: Guitarists' view on Emo music
« Reply #275 on: February 07, 2008, 10:28:11 AM »
 :mrgreen:
IMO, emo is hardcore, emo is music pero the way they dress and the attitude, duh.
The thing I don't like about emo is puro porma lang yung iba at yung vocals, grabe parang iiyak na iniipit amp. Emo means emotion, pero hindi lang naman sorrowful and depression ang emotion dba? and besides, the essence of playing any music is HAVING FUN and not BEING DEPRESSED. Ok lang pa minsan minsan ang emo songs kasi it's a way of expressing how sad they are but not to the point na maglalaslas sila ng wrist, throat, blah blah...subukan kaya nila maglaslas ng throat? baka di na sila maka kanta nyan,haha, I like the music of some emo bands I just can't stand the VOICE.

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #276 on: February 07, 2008, 11:04:14 AM »
Friends:

Since the last episode of MYXPOSED about EMO, many requested to do more about it. sino pwede sa inyo ma-interview? to shed light on the REAL essence of EMO. sana mge EMO peeps talaga... para makita ng tao kung ano talaga ang emo: lifestyle, music, fashion etc..

pm me or text 09178258362.

are you affiliated with angel? hehe she asked me the same questions too. :P if you read the post i made sa previous page, you would need no further explanation.

as for us purists? were tired of being preachy. some people just dont packing get it.

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #277 on: February 07, 2008, 11:05:39 AM »

One of my favorite songs of all time. I believe its technically under "emocore".

I dont think these debates will end 'til the whole emo thing isn't cool anymore. The sooner the better. I was in agony in a jeepney when a girl with socks-on-the-arms-avril-style singing along annoyingly to typecast's the boston drama sat right in front of me. (the tondo drama...pwedeng pangalan ng post-emo band...machismo band...think viking metal but with pinoy sigas rocking out)

My main gripe with this whole emo thing is, it really brought out the crab mentality and narrowmindedness of Filipinos. Like I keep saying, LAHAT talaga gaya lang. The music, the vocal stylings, the LYRICS, the look.
Anyone notice how a certain local guy SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE the dashboard confessional guy? So MCR came out with this morbid fixation for death...THEN COMES A FORMERLY RAPMETAL/HARDCORE BAND THAT SUDDENLY GETS TIGHT PANTS-D AND BLOODSUCKY? What the hell?!

And, to get me back on topic, all the emo guitar playing here sounds like Thursday. I'm sorry but it does. Yeah, they do chug and have nice tones, but all the riffs sound like Thursday riffs to me. Local emo gets a -100 in originality.

hopesfall is post hardcore.

this is emo

http://myspace.com/cityofcaterpillar

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #278 on: February 07, 2008, 11:22:58 AM »
emo, back in the day, was a joke term.
though i spent a lot of my time listening to these 90's "emo" bands,
alongside the hardcore and punk bands it co existed with.

sure it was standard fare for bands, especially all those pop punk/skatepunk variety to sing about teenage life, about girlfriends, falling in love and breaking up.
it was all fun. it was easy to write about.

writing about sadness and failure is also quite easier. and these mid 90's bands took it as a release.

but the joke with being depressed and suicide and all that stuff was taken too far.
now, sadly, what we all know as "emo" is a caricature of that joke. mix it up with fashionistas, a good pair of jeans, fashionable shirts, hair and guyliner...
plus the fact that the word "emo" was quite a tagline that no one quite understood, and when some bands like jimmyeatworld, texas is the reason, promise ring, jawbox, saves the day, made it big, and started to get mainstream attention, the people in the business had to put a new tag or buzzword to help it sell. and all the negative aspects just stuck.

id rather call these bands nowadays as pop metal or just plain pop. bands like underoath, saosin, or whatever band you see gracing the cover of alternative press, have become the new face of pop. they're really good. some of them gawdawful with more cliches than you can shake a stick at.

and since it sells, people are riding the wave. now go check out aiden and the likes. tama yung nag sabi na backstreetboys, or sila yung bagong boybands nowadays.

but listening to the old "emo" bands taught me the value of dynamic songwriting.
noisy lines to quiet interludes then building up to a huge sound was intrinsic in their music. very spartan guitarwork at times then some melodic riffing. lately the genre has cross-pollinated with uber tech metal riffage.

last week a band from australia named eucalypt played three dates here in the philippines. they have been on tour for more than a month with 2 equally amazing malaysian bands, justkneeta and kias fansuri. and their style just blew me away. reminiscent of bands from ebullition records and level plane. the type of emo that never really got popular with the masses. for a lack of a better term, emoviolence was what we called it back then. despite the [gooey brown stuff] gear,and just playing straight to the amps,they had a huge wall of sound.  :-D
i think i damaged my hearing after their sets.

now i wish more bands played in that style.
i guess paengkee would approve of this, right? lol.

i do. the sad thing is, the people here seem to post something derogatory before reading anything we've posted.

keida: youre right about the thing about the amps. thats why i got myself an mi audio crunchbox because its said to be a jcm800 in a box. and it delivers. i get the "wall of sound" and i can adjust the volume knob on my guitar to go clean haha.

WARNING. GEAR TALK.

since were talking about guitarists lets talk about guitar gear

the real "emo" amp is the JCM800. most emo bands from the late 80's and early 90s loved the jcm for its biting tone and crunch. gibson sgs were the axe of choice back then but ive talked with bands abiding by their telecasters and strats. oddly, only a few use les pauls. emo has a lot of clean parts and recently, reverb and delay add to the effect. the japanese band ENVY and michigan band MEN AS TREES use delay/reverb a lot.

http://myspace.com/indiansummersongs

my ideal jcm tone. thats a jcm800 50w and a gibson firebrand walnut sg.

there arent really that much "chops" based emo bands back then. the most technical i know was saetia/hotcross (two diff bands but they practically have members from each other). nowadays we have circle takes the square (http://myspace.com/circletakesthesquare)

emo (the real one) has got to be one of the most dynamic genres i know. going from super fast drumming and screaming to slow, droning plucked parts that let your ears relax after the onslaught of roaring twin jcm800s panned to boths sides of your headphones. 90s emo bands are great lyricists too. and no they arent cheezy.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 11:27:11 AM by paengkee »

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #279 on: February 07, 2008, 11:24:13 AM »
emo is going to die in 2-3 years max. so enough of this bs.

what do you mean? the friggen genre died 13 years ago.

Offline Sugar Ray Vaughan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #280 on: February 07, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
Sarap gulpihin yung mga bands na may whiny vocals. Haha!
スキャンダル ★ 小野春菜

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #281 on: February 07, 2008, 11:28:20 AM »
Sarap gulpihin yung mga bands na may whiny vocals. Haha!

do so in the pit. not in this thread. trust me. i do that whenever i can and feels so damn good. the longer the bangs the harder the hits. :P

Offline omat17

• Veteran Member
« Reply #282 on: February 07, 2008, 11:49:33 AM »
Sorry kung ioofend ko ang kahit sino...
Emo music if fine, it's the posers that suck..
[ice cream], lahat nalang tinatawag emo, post hardcore is different from emo..
[apple], okei na nga yung fasion nila, nasisira lang ng attitude nila, [apple], mga itsura, siryoso pa kungwari, sarap banatan...

Sensya na po, talgang sensitibo lang ako sa mga emo na to..

Offline omat17

• Veteran Member
« Reply #283 on: February 07, 2008, 11:57:45 AM »
My main gripe with this whole emo thing is, it really brought out the crab mentality and narrowmindedness of Filipinos. Like I keep saying, LAHAT talaga gaya lang. The music, the vocal stylings, the LYRICS, the look.
Anyone notice how a certain local guy SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE the dashboard confessional guy? So MCR came out with this morbid fixation for death...THEN COMES A FORMERLY RAPMETAL/HARDCORE BAND THAT SUDDENLY GETS TIGHT PANTS-D AND BLOODSUCKY? What the hell?!

And, to get me back on topic, all the emo guitar playing here sounds like Thursday. I'm sorry but it does. Yeah, they do chug and have nice tones, but all the riffs sound like Thursday riffs to me. Local emo gets a -100 in originality.

Boom!!! Haha!!!! Tira Typecast at Chicosci, tama kaya???

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #284 on: February 07, 2008, 01:09:45 PM »

And, to get me back on topic, all the emo guitar playing here sounds like Thursday. I'm sorry but it does. Yeah, they do chug and have nice tones, but all the riffs sound like Thursday riffs to me.

local emo? have you heard tigers are out bears are in? what about iola morton? or means to no end? or capulette? or caitlyn bailey?

trust me theyre not whiny at all.

http://myspace.com/tigersareoutbearsarein
http://myspace.com/meanstonoend
http://myspace.com/iolamorton
http://myspace.com/tsacore
http://myspace.com/caitlynbailey

as per facts, those bands you referred to are not emo bands.

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #285 on: February 07, 2008, 01:18:02 PM »
local emo? have you heard tigers are out bears are in? what about iola morton? or means to no end? or capulette? or caitlyn bailey?

trust me theyre not whiny at all.

http://myspace.com/tigersareoutbearsarein
http://myspace.com/meanstonoend
http://myspace.com/iolamorton
http://myspace.com/tsacore
http://myspace.com/caitlynbailey

as per facts, those bands you referred to are not emo bands.

yeah its true that they may not be emo bands per se'. but they certainly carry the emo flag locally. and i guess, sadly, considering the rich emo heritage you've been speaking of. i admit to not being able to really dig in and find "real" emo bands locally, much less be in the know. i guess i should've said "local mainstream pseudo-emo" haha.

ah, posthardcore talaga ang hopesfall? noted. i actually never knew what they fell under and just loved them. i only heard "emocore" from someone who seemed to really know the genre as well. (i even liked A-types, although totally different animal na)

keep it up paengkee, im glad someone really knowledgeable is trying to set the record straight, kasi people like me can also get certain ideas wrong.

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #286 on: February 07, 2008, 01:36:14 PM »

yeah its true that they may not be emo bands per se'. but they certainly carry the emo flag locally. and i guess, sadly, considering the rich emo heritage you've been speaking of. i admit to not being able to really dig in and find "real" emo bands locally, much less be in the know. i guess i should've said "local mainstream pseudo-emo" haha.

ah, posthardcore talaga ang hopesfall? noted. i actually never knew what they fell under and just loved them. i only heard "emocore" from someone who seemed to really know the genre as well. (i even liked A-types, although totally different animal na)

keep it up paengkee, im glad someone really knowledgeable is trying to set the record straight, kasi people like me can also get certain ideas wrong.

eee haha wala lang yan. im just really oc when it comes to genre placement. i like hopesfall. one of the few posthardcore bands i like. hmm emocore. thats embrace, rites or spring, faith, void and basically anything from 1984-1989 thats sounds remotely similar to them :D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 01:41:44 PM by paengkee »

Offline franz3

« Reply #287 on: February 07, 2008, 03:10:44 PM »
Sorry kung ioofend ko ang kahit sino...
Emo music if fine, it's the posers that suck..<br [ice cream], lahat nalang tinatawag emo, post hardcore is different from emo..
[apple], okei na nga yung fasion nila, nasisira lang ng attitude nila, [apple], mga itsura, siryoso pa kungwari, sarap banatan...

Sensya na po, talgang sensitibo lang ako sa mga emo na to..
+100

Offline franz3

« Reply #288 on: February 07, 2008, 03:20:21 PM »
Yung mga emo posers, takte i saw them i day sa labas ng mall nagkukumpulan. Naisip ko, what do these guys have in their heads? are they insane?
Nakaka asar kasi yung mga trip nila, pati yung porma, dugyot yung iba, tpos ang iitim pa ng iba, mukha na ngang adik at taong grasa yung iba e. Tpos kumakanta kanta pa playing with a crappy sounding acoustic guitar ( wala nga sa tono e).
Parang sinasabi lang nila na "hey, we're emo, we are cool, and you are not cool like us" putakte, nakaka asar pa yung mga mukha nila, sobrang depressed na nakaka asar na..I guess the music kinda sucks, depende din, pero dun sa mga Emo kung umasal, They suck.

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #289 on: February 07, 2008, 06:13:37 PM »
Yung mga emo posers, takte i saw them i day sa labas ng mall nagkukumpulan. Naisip ko, what do these guys have in their heads? are they insane?
Nakaka asar kasi yung mga trip nila, pati yung porma, dugyot yung iba, tpos ang iitim pa ng iba, mukha na ngang adik at taong grasa yung iba e. Tpos kumakanta kanta pa playing with a crappy sounding acoustic guitar ( wala nga sa tono e).
Parang sinasabi lang nila na "hey, we're emo, we are cool, and you are not cool like us" putakte, nakaka asar pa yung mga mukha nila, sobrang depressed na nakaka asar na..I guess the music kinda sucks, depende din, pero dun sa mga Emo kung umasal, They suck.

ahhaahahha LOL galit na galit!

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #290 on: February 07, 2008, 08:52:11 PM »

well hating on them wont change anything though.

Offline omat17

• Veteran Member
« Reply #291 on: February 07, 2008, 09:22:38 PM »
Quote from: franz3 on Ngayong Araw at 03:20:21 PM

well hating on them wont change anything though.

Sa kasamang palad, ou nga...
Pero i still dont like most of them...

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #292 on: February 07, 2008, 10:23:43 PM »
what do you mean? the friggen genre died 13 years ago.

it doesn't matter. those who call themselves emo to this day will die in 2-3 years.
"We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
'Nd everybody warms themselves to a different fire..."

Offline ytse_neil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #293 on: February 07, 2008, 11:36:02 PM »
4 me emo sucks...puro ingay,puro sigaw puro strum..wlang guitar solo wlang keyboard solo bass and drum solo...in short wlang skills..lgi nlng drop c..un lng skill nla...peace out!!!hehehe :-D

Offline keida

« Reply #294 on: February 08, 2008, 12:36:01 AM »
i do. the sad thing is, the people here seem to post something derogatory before reading anything we've posted.

keida: youre right about the thing about the amps. thats why i got myself an mi audio crunchbox because its said to be a jcm800 in a box. and it delivers. i get the "wall of sound" and i can adjust the volume knob on my guitar to go clean haha.

WARNING. GEAR TALK.

since were talking about guitarists lets talk about guitar gear

the real "emo" amp is the JCM800. most emo bands from the late 80's and early 90s loved the jcm for its biting tone and crunch. gibson sgs were the axe of choice back then but ive talked with bands abiding by their telecasters and strats. oddly, only a few use les pauls. emo has a lot of clean parts and recently, reverb and delay add to the effect. the japanese band ENVY and michigan band MEN AS TREES use delay/reverb a lot.

http://myspace.com/indiansummersongs

my ideal jcm tone. thats a jcm800 50w and a gibson firebrand walnut sg.

there arent really that much "chops" based emo bands back then. the most technical i know was saetia/hotcross (two diff bands but they practically have members from each other). nowadays we have circle takes the square (http://myspace.com/circletakesthesquare)

emo (the real one) has got to be one of the most dynamic genres i know. going from super fast drumming and screaming to slow, droning plucked parts that let your ears relax after the onslaught of roaring twin jcm800s panned to boths sides of your headphones. 90s emo bands are great lyricists too. and no they arent cheezy.

yeah, pansin ko nga na puros sg paborito nila.
one time kasama ko gitarista ng village idiots (90's san pablo pop punk darlings) sa pier and we saw this black setneck mavis sg. di sya makatulog ng mahimbing buong linggo. hahaha!

i got into earth crisis and neurosis at the same time.

earth crisis was just a huge bulldozer of grooves, brute metal and hardcore riffage and ecoactivist/sxe lyrics.

neurosis was just a huuuge wall of sound. slowly pounding into your consciousness. there was nothing that sounded like them. they paved the way for the ambient/art metal so popular nowadays. theres a thread here about psychoacoustics or something like that, and neurosis was the perfect example of that being put to terrifying use. they were the perfect soundtrack to a world's demise.

then came the day i heard engine kid...
i crapped in my pants hearing the amazing dynamics of their songs. i guess they were one of the first bands that opened the doors for me to that period's "emo/indierock" noisy then hushed guitars, the buildups, and release, the near but not-so-whiny vocals, and the haunting forlorn lyrics.

then these bastards shifted to jazzcore then called it a day and moved on to form goatsnake then later on, the ever bewildering Sunn O)))  :-D

---

the most obvious link "emo" has with punk and hardcore is the diy ethics, the importance of the message and substance over technical virtuosity. bands like these function as a unit as opposed to other types of rock that sometimes serve as a podium to show off individual skills (eg, glamrock).

i guess what attracted me to these types of bands (HC/punk/indierock) was the way they played with their hearts on their sleeves (pun intended). as if their lives depended on it. irregardless of their technical capabilities, or lack of, there was always an urgency that transcended beyond musicianship.

the emo bands these people label nowadays, i dont know what to call them anymore. i listen to some that are still fun to listen. but its hard to distinguish one from another with all these record companies/radio stations/marketing folks riding on whatever's the big tag word. people tend to just listen and wait instead of search and learn new things. that's why 80% of people on this thread associate "emo" with bands they hear on the radio. of course we wouldn't hear indian summer, rites of spring, saetia, the promise ring anytime on the radio soon. it just wouldn't sell. the sound isn't just popular enough.

these "emo" kids we see are no different from "punk" kids we see roaming around summerslam and the likes, up to the neck with punk gear, a huge anarchy symbol on the front, and a huge slapshock or queso logo on the back.  :lol: if they describe themselves as such, well, it;s a sad fact that i never see these kids at punk/hc shows (there are exceptions though). its quite a phenomenon.

the best allegory would be what someone did with connecting the "emo" now with new wave fashion. if you were into it, then most likely you would be sporting chong fashion. there was really good new wave music, and there were tons of crappy ones too.
dont hate them because they're like that.
i guess lets just let them grow out of that phase.
everyone gets "emo" during teenage years. it's just unfortunate now that there's such a term like that which everyone loves to hate.

its best to educate others to new forms of music, their origins, and broaden their view of what may be out there outside of the world of the commercial music landscape. look at how people in general view philippine punk music, theyre stuck with the image of phil violators, betrayed, the wuds, iov, and all the trc/brave new world era stuff. they are all greats. i have much respect for that. but it did not end with them. it has grown beyond that, under the radar we have such a diverse and dynamic punk scene with all these bands, publications and labels. local bands have been released internationally, and the philippines has been a popular leg for bands touring the ASEAN region. a local documentary on punk has featured the punk scene from its early days, then jumped to the next generation of punk bands playing clubs today. there was no mention of the local community of zinemakers, indie distros, and of course the bands involved with it.

that's how the media perceived it. brave new world. the end.
same thing with emo. they just notice the fashion, and the whiny pop music and the depression.

its sad because people know what's only fed to them.

everytime na naliligaw ako to the forums on rakista.com i cringe when i read comments like anu poh fave emo band nyo? akoh typecast forever. aztig xe cla eh! or something like that.  :-D

i really appreciate paeng giving his insights and where to start on this genre.
like its close cousins, it has been misunderstood, bastardized and commodified.

though a times we might sound preachy, but my apologies, because these genres have become close to heart and mean more to us than just being music you can rock out to.

educate, question, keep an open mind.
need a photographer? check my work: http://xkeidax.deviantart.com http://flickr.com/photos/xkeidax
-to see with eyes unclouded by hate -

Offline voodoosoup

« Reply #295 on: February 08, 2008, 04:01:33 AM »
maybe someone should just start a new thread and talk about mall emo. thats obviously what the threadstarter meant and is also obviously what most people in this thread are talking about. so lets put aside emo hardcore, hardcore and post hardcore, punk and punk rock (which are about 50% of the music i personally listen to) and just talk about mall (commercial) emo. i call it creamo.

creamo: amusing on occassion.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 04:08:14 AM by voodoosoup »

Offline franz3

« Reply #296 on: February 08, 2008, 09:28:22 AM »
what i hate about these emo posers is they ALWAYS misunderstood my favorite band Coheed and Cambria as EMO. Crap, they're always talking sa school " Tol anong emo soundtrip mo? Coheed and Cambria tol emo yun.." What the? CoCa
is not emo, it's progressive rock. Ang hirap kasi sa kanila, when they hear a particular hardcore band, they will call it emo na kagad. Claudio's voice is high but you will not hear him whining and do some silly stuffs like some of those emo are doing.

Offline nealyu

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #297 on: February 08, 2008, 10:13:42 AM »
loser emo hahahaha  :lol:

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #298 on: February 08, 2008, 10:25:49 AM »
at least they get more girls than just sitting infront of the pc whinning about thier music and style.

oo...emo girls rin. yak! mga pa-avril naman hahaha!  :lol:

get more girls....hahahahaha   so? and moreso, talaga? hahaha...

peace! :-) just kidding around

Offline Larukunai

• Veteran Member
« Reply #299 on: February 08, 2008, 05:45:10 PM »
Hahaha in the olden days Emo wasnt like this dati parang astig eh, they kept screaming and the hair wasnt like bangs-y.the hairstyle with the current emo bands is new wave and i think it started with tom delonge coz he was a big new wave fan,well i guess the kinds thought it was punk coz blink 182 was punk.oh well.

pero mas iba sa tingin ko ang blink 182 mas taglay nila ang punk attitude eh
J-Rock Guitarist
Gear: Fernandes FGZ-400
Kisetsu wa odayaka ni owari o tsugeta ne Iro do rareta kioku ni yosete Sayonara     Ai o kureta ano hito wa Kono hitomi ni yurameiteita.......