hulika

Author Topic: How do you define a PROFESSIONAL in recording?  (Read 9900 times)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: How do you define a PROFESSIONAL in recording?
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2007, 01:38:06 AM »
well i never had one.. couldnt afford it before hehehe...
and diba dapat magaling ka magpiano in order to sequence keys/piano sa korg/roland sequncer kbords?

Never had a Triton either. My Korg was an earlier model but I was lucky since it came with Motu's Freestyle... on floppy disk! That's how I learned about pc sequencing.... and I'm not necessarily a great keys player. Producing, however... thats another matter.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2007, 09:32:38 AM »
--some people like to stick to what they know (triton) and feel no need to fix something that aint broke

--reason is so not the be all end all, there are some people who dont like it  :-o

--40 is the new 30
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2007, 09:57:06 AM »

--40 is the new 30

in that case im just 20. haha/  back to the topic ...
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2007, 10:08:36 AM »
in that case im just 20. haha/  back to the topic ...

hehe.  ako rin 20!   :-) :-) :-)

btw, i'm unschooled in music production.  so i guess it lets me approach the whole process in a different way.  it does have its advantages - like havin a different sound by virtue of the noob approach.  hehe.

at any rate, if you get paid doin it, and have a substantial client base, it makes you professional enough.  either we learn thru books or thru experience, as long as we make good music and keep our clients happy.

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2007, 01:45:48 PM »
--some people like to stick to what they know (triton) and feel no need to fix something that aint broke

--reason is so not the be all end all, there are some people who dont like it  :-o

--40 is the new 30
==== hmmmm feeling young again tuloy ako hehehehe..nawala mga rayuma ko hahaha  :-D
Music is art in sound...

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2007, 01:53:05 PM »
ako i enjoy teaching a veteran musician the ropes of music technology.. hehe

kumbaga introducing an easier way sa mga "OLD DOGS" hehe

Careful... you thread a fine line... some of the "veterans" here are adept with both new and old technologies, knowledgeable with both tape and protools.

ay sorry po sir KitC and jepoy.. didnt mean to sound like that...no bad intentions of using OLD DOGS as a negative term. im just referring to my friends..=)
kasi me mga naencounter na kasi ako na mga "stick to the triton" peeps... and havent tried using midi software solutions

magkkwento na nga lang po ako hehehe... para masaya
nakakatrabaho ko si Rannie... parati akong binabara tuwing introduce ko sa kanya ung reason... ayaw nya.. dun pa rin sya sa triton nya... sinasabi ko masmakakatulong un kasi dami na patches ng mga sounds and instruments... and masmadali magrecord kasi nakamidimap ..madali mag ayus ng notes and velocities... when i give my work to him... nagtataka sya kung san nangagaling yung mga bowed strings na makapal...etc..

@edgeofillusion-jepoy
wag naman po mapikon sowi na.. =) 32? bata ka pa naman =)
meron na rin

How much bili mo sa Reason?  Ver 3 ba binili mo?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2007, 06:36:57 PM »
I like Reason but it's midi only. Rewiring it with Cubase or Sonar is the only option to add a vocal track to your Reason creations, but I like the way you can patch in virtually via it's "rear patchbay".
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline fascinatedbymusic

• Netizen Level
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2008, 09:20:48 AM »
To the original topic:

For me, able to deliver on time with client's approval. The result is all that matters..... :-)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2008, 10:29:54 AM »
To the original topic:

For me, able to deliver on time with client's approval. The result is all that matters..... :-)

Next question.  How many clients can a professional cater to?  how many different genres must a professional recordist be able to cater to?

LouieAzcona

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2008, 09:24:15 PM »
It was in 1st year of high school that i learned the difference between professional and amateur. it was also then that i learned that professional vs amateur is not the same as novice vs expert.

you are a professional in recording if you profit from it.

so if you have a laptop that has a line in, a recording software and a microphone, then you decided to make money out of it by inviting bands to record in you bed room, you are already a professional. but not necessarily an expert. 

LouieAzcona

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2008, 09:39:33 PM »
Next question.  How many clients can a professional cater to?  how many different genres must a professional recordist be able to cater to?

it depends on how much time you are able and willing to devote in operating your business and educating yourself on how to be flexible in recording many different genres. kilala mo naman sarili mo, so you alone can answer that. pwera kung may boss ka na gusto ganyan at gusto ganon. mapipilitan ka talaga.

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2008, 06:14:05 PM »
Yeah, "drag and drop" is the new "patching on a patchbay".

Anyway, I still believe that outboard is best, especially with compressors.  I haven't gotten that phat classic compression with a plugin to date.  But for hard knee, software comps do quite well.

Skunky give me a few more days.. i will compare an LA2A hardware and software soon...
OT
o koling koling Hazel.. narinig mo yun? hehehe
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 06:19:15 PM by BALDO »
Music is art in sound...

Offline bloodshedd

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2008, 08:24:09 PM »
LA2A??? yum yum...
For JB MUSIC AND SPORTS' big discounts and 0% installment deals.... Check out https://www.facebook.com/JBMusicPh

Contact JB MUSIC ALABANG TOWN CENTER @ 809-1726 and 842-9545  Check out BADBURN @ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Badburn/114672008558924?ref=

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2008, 08:30:10 PM »
Skunky give me a few more days.. i will compare an LA2A hardware and software soon...

I'd like to know the methodology to this one.

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2008, 08:55:46 PM »
acheche!! :-o
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2008, 10:18:03 PM »
:?DEHINS ko alam why may nagpopost ng mga ganitong klaseng tanong dito..cguro pra lng ma-set ung topic at tuloy magkaron ng classification ang bawat isang member dito at the same time pra din malaman nmin n PRO ka? yan ang problema nting mga musicians dito s pinas eh..puro payabangan lng tyo instead n magkatulungan. hindi nman mahalaga kung PRO k o magaling k o sikat ka or anything.. relax lng bro..tulungan lng tyo dito..we're brothers man...

DEHINS ko rin alam kung bakit ang tamad mag-type nang may tamang spelling ang mga tao ngayon.  :roll:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2008, 11:00:55 PM »
OT:Whoa!

Whoever she was, she deleted her own post. Definitely not a brother...  :wink:

Is it just me or am I finding that today's youth lack the virtues of patience and tact?  :|
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 11:04:59 PM by KitC »

Offline moogerfooger

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2008, 10:26:40 PM »
 :-) yes sir KiTC i deleted my post earlier kasi tingin ko insignificant din naman yung QuestioN n sinagot ko  :roll:  more power to PhilmusiC people!
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."

"NEVER FROWN BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHO MIGHT BE FALLING IN LOVE WITH YOUR SMILE"

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2008, 11:14:12 PM »
I remember saying once that the only stupid question is the one not asked... within reason, of course.

By definition, a professional is one who gets paid for his/her services, skills and/or knowledge, so the moment we receive even one peso for anything related to recording, we are already a professional, mediocrity notwithstanding. Should we prefer not to receive a single cent, then by definition, that person is an amateur or a hobbyist, but it does not reflect the skill level of the person.

Sure, there are many who consider themselves to be professionals in this endeavour, but the number decreases when you start to factor in that skill level. One thing I do know... one's mediocrity in recording is directly proportional to what one DOESN'T hear. Too many starting out in this business are so concerned with what they see onscreen, or how far the VU meter's needle or bar jumps or how heavy the waveform is when drawn.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2008, 11:38:57 PM »
I remember saying once that the only stupid question is the one not asked... within reason, of course.

By definition, a professional is one who gets paid for his/her services, skills and/or knowledge, so the moment we receive even one peso for anything related to recording, we are already a professional, mediocrity notwithstanding. Should we prefer not to receive a single cent, then by definition, that person is an amateur or a hobbyist, but it does not reflect the skill level of the person.

Sure, there are many who consider themselves to be professionals in this endeavour, but the number decreases when you start to factor in that skill level. One thing I do know... one's mediocrity in recording is directly proportional to what one DOESN'T hear. Too many starting out in this business are so concerned with what they see onscreen, or how far the VU meter's needle or bar jumps or how heavy the waveform is when drawn.

A very interesting article at audiomasterclass.com-

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=3681

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2008, 11:51:12 PM »

depends how long it takes you to carry a project to completion while maintaining a focus on each client. some people fully book studios with different clients working on different days - even different times since the studio can basically remain open 24-7. i find this physically gruelling.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

glowstick

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2008, 06:00:22 AM »
1) Has PROFESSIONAL equipment to do the job.

2) Does not use lousy equipment masquerading as professional equipment.

3) Understands the science of sound.

4) Doesnt mix or listen to studio monitors louder than normal speaking voice.

5) Most important.....Can easily tell if there was a 1 db difference in audio level blindly.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2008, 01:15:39 PM »
5) Most important.....Can easily tell if there was a 1 db difference in audio level blindly.

:?
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

glowstick

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2008, 05:45:30 PM »
 :?....yes....the professional has to be good in recognizing in 1 dB differences...

mixing in a studio requires a different ear....that is the reason why if you look at foreign acts with good recordings have different engineers for tour and in the studio.  try to compare local recordings with those done in countries where cutting corners is not a norm and you will hear the difference...

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2008, 07:09:02 PM »
:?....yes....the professional has to be good in recognizing in 1 dB differences...

sez who?

how about we just go with the premise that a professional gets paid and leave it at that? all the other "requirements" are subjective criteria that have to do more with perceived credibility than universal benchmarks of capability and accomplishment.

its not like theres an official governing body that says "you with the behringer modeller who uses warez exclusively who has never fondled an ssl go to the amateur section" or "you with the tons of nice equipment that your daddy/boss paid for go to the pro section"

if you want to ask what makes a good recording engineer/bedroom tweaker/wanker thats fine but the original question is on shaky ground to begin with

which is why i dont know why im still posting in it :goes back to fondling uli behringer: