hulika

Author Topic: Scalarizer Thread - Part II - Soundclips of the Epi SG test on page 60  (Read 279075 times)

Offline stompmoko

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Scalarizer Thread - Part II
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2007, 07:39:44 PM »

same price dude P500.00/ scalarizer
tapos may libre kang 3 bottles ng beer :)

teka, mukhang mas masarap mag pa scalariza'jan sa inyo ah :-D
color of the day is monkey sh1t brown

Offline redhat

« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2007, 08:12:15 PM »
hi guys, i have an ibanez gio. wat scalarizer treament can i apply to it to make it sound close to a tele or an LP? yung toney, na crunchy, but still heavy.

Offline chito_eoi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2007, 08:22:09 PM »

same price dude P500.00/ scalarizer
tapos may libre kang 3 bottles ng beer :)

teka, mukhang mas masarap mag pa scalariza'jan sa inyo ah :-D

hehehe, malungkot kase sa office ko sa pampanga... kelangan ko ng kausap:)

hi guys, i have an ibanez gio. wat scalarizer treament can i apply to it to make it sound close to a tele or an LP? yung toney, na crunchy, but still heavy.
i think yung crystal scalarizer kelangan mo

Offline acousticky14

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2007, 09:12:49 PM »
eto pla eh ang sagot sa problema ko!!.. knino po ba pwede magpascalarize? ung dito lng sana malapit sa mandaluyong or manila? magkano din po ba pag 2 humbucker pups? ibanez gio din guitar ko..

aus gaganda na tunog ng guitar ko..!! :-D

Offline chito_eoi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2007, 09:24:06 PM »
eto pla eh ang sagot sa problema ko!!.. knino po ba pwede magpascalarize? ung dito lng sana malapit sa mandaluyong or manila? magkano din po ba pag 2 humbucker pups? ibanez gio din guitar ko..

check mo yung sig ni BAMF
i think nandun lahat ng infos ng shop nya and contack number

Offline acousticky14

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2007, 09:27:42 PM »

check mo yung sig ni BAMF
i think nandun lahat ng infos ng shop nya and contack number

hehe.. oo nga noh.. salamat po ng madami.. :-D

Offline boog

« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2007, 04:42:04 PM »
 :evil: ayos an ayos yung metal scala bossing bamf. malupet, saya ng tunog.

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2007, 05:34:00 PM »
I operated on my 2006 60th anniv MIA Strat w/EMG SA's last night...dual scalarized it with crystal and metal...before I installed them I played the guitar and it sounded so nice, clean tones as clear as purified water with crunch tones that bite...after installing the scalarizers...I was held speechless...The EMG set included an SPC and EXG switch, a mid boost and mid scoop switch respectively, and the scalarizers did wonders to them and to the overall tone of the guitar...wala na, my gas for guitars has ended. I have found the perfect guitar for me and this will go with me to my grave, thanks to the magic Sir Jobet provided. :-)

I can challenge anyone anytime with any guitar (guitar lang ha wala pedals hehe) and I can still be confident that my guitar sounds really damn good.

Errr the challenge part's a joke,hehe but the sound being great is for real. :lol:
Thanks sir BAMF!More power!All the guitars I have now are scalarized and I'm sure anymore in the future will certainly be as well.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2007, 07:29:08 PM »
I operated on my 2006 60th anniv MIA Strat w/EMG SA's last night...dual scalarized it with crystal and metal...before I installed them I played the guitar and it sounded so nice, clean tones as clear as purified water with crunch tones that bite...after installing the scalarizers...I was held speechless...The EMG set included an SPC and EXG switch, a mid boost and mid scoop switch respectively, and the scalarizers did wonders to them and to the overall tone of the guitar...wala na, my gas for guitars has ended. I have found the perfect guitar for me and this will go with me to my grave, thanks to the magic Sir Jobet provided. :-)

I can challenge anyone anytime with any guitar (guitar lang ha wala pedals hehe) and I can still be confident that my guitar sounds really damn good.

Errr the challenge part's a joke,hehe but the sound being great is for real. :lol:
Thanks sir BAMF!More power!All the guitars I have now are scalarized and I'm sure anymore in the future will certainly be as well.

try hammering your tone with a bakemono  :wink:

dude! please pm me a review of your emg's! i'm kinda fantisizing about the SA set, dig the traditional look of the SAV but i heard the the SA's are the sheeeeet  :wink:
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2007, 11:18:53 PM »

try hammering your tone with a bakemono  :wink:

dude! please pm me a review of your emg's! i'm kinda fantisizing about the SA set, dig the traditional look of the SAV but i heard the the SA's are the sheeeeet  :wink:
I think I'll drop by the shop na lang chief, papasilip ko rin yung champion ko ang lakas ng hum e, been wanting to scalarize it as well. I'll text sir jobet na lang kung kelan medyo hectic ngayon e. :|

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2007, 09:39:52 AM »
Ano na bang company ang kukuha.  Balita ko ila-launch somewhere asia.  Balita lang sakin ni john carpio.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2007, 11:29:35 AM »
Scalarized Behringer B1 vs. Neumann U87

Yesterday, KitC, Jepoy, Mohawk and myself had the opportunity to visit Mr. Shinji Tanaka of Soundcreation studio in Tandang Sora QC. This was a long-standing desire of ours, to A/B PIMP's Scalarized Behringer B1 LDC microphone versus a known, and preferably high-end brand.

Just our luck, Soundcreations had a spanking Neumann U87 microphone. Top of the pops. So after a preliminary discussion we put together a test setup, first for classical guitar, then next for vocals.

For the vocals setup, the first arrangement was with the B1 on top and the U87 at the bottom, pointing at the same sound source, low pass filters engaged. We later modified this to side to side as this was deemed to be more accurate and eliminates tonal discrepancies between the mike positions. Signals from the U87 and the B1 were recorded on their own tracks, side by side.

Shinji and KitC arranging the U87 and B1 for the A/B test

Jepoy, KitC and myself took turns belting out vocals on the A/B setup

And the verdict: The B1 got darned close to the sound quality of the U87. The U87 was still superior in the high-frequency response department, and in the 8kHz and above range, the U87 was still smooth sounding, with the Behringer exhibiting a slight and very subtle "sizzle" sound. I have a very strong hunch that this is caused by the ceramic capacitors which I haven't replaced yet in the B1. Nonetheless the difference was only audible to Shinji, as he was familiar with his studio and his equipment, but his own assessment landed on something like "pwedeng pwede na!". Almost indistinguishable, except to those with really golden ears.

Not bad,not bad at all  for a relatively inexpensive Large Diaghpragm Condenser microphone :D.

Here are the screenshots of the frequency response graphs (from the vocals rendered). They are just partial proof, it's up to the reader to interpet what they mean for now. Left graph is the Behringer B1, Right graph is the Neumann U87

Next step: when opportunity allows, we will return to SoundCreations with  remodified Behringer B1 and C1 microphones, this time getting rid of the grainy-sounding ceramic capacitors and replacing those with film-type caps. We might re-do the vocals test, this time with a female singer who can belt out songs that go in the 8kHz and beyond frequencies (OUCH!) and the ultimate objective test: miking white noise and producing spectral analysis charts from that.

I'm not sure if I should post soundclips of the vocals. First, it might open the belters to ridicule (hahehehe), second, the information in the wav files will surely get lost once compressed and  converted to mp3's. But for anyone who seriously cares to listen, you may visit us at PIMP for a thorough listen.

Looks like the versatility of the scalarizer is really shining through !

« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 11:57:06 AM by BAMF »
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2007, 05:27:58 PM »
Update : As I'm writing this, I'm trying out the new Hydrocore Scalarizers.

Wow. The swirl effect of the crystal scalarizer seems to be much more emphasized in this one. If you weren't looking, you could almost swear there was a chorus pedal somewhere.

Teka. I need more ears to listen and confirm my observations :D

For fans of the swirly sound, this is a great choice for you. Chorus without the pedal :D

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2007, 05:43:39 PM »
Ayus! 

BAMF - Bring the PIMP Posse to Mag:net tomorrow.  2 sets of Blue Rats tapos Firebottle in between. A few weeks ago dumaan ang banda namin sa studio before a gig pero wala pa kayo so tumambay na lang kami sa KFC. :-)  Would be good to see the guys again. 

Set up ka na rin ng mobile scalarizer workbench, as usual.  ;-)

Offline toybitz

« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2007, 05:46:23 PM »
Ayus! 

BAMF - Bring the PIMP Posse to Mag:net tomorrow.  2 sets of Blue Rats tapos Firebottle in between. A few weeks ago dumaan ang banda namin sa studio before a gig pero wala pa kayo so tumambay na lang kami sa KFC. :-)  Would be good to see the guys again. 

Set up ka na rin ng mobile scalarizer workbench, as usual.  ;-)

apir! video cam na din. hehehe
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2007, 05:58:07 PM »
Okidoki ! :D .

How can one resist ? Firebottle and the Blue Rats in one venue ? :D.

Potah...magdududa na naman ako sa pagkalalake ko neto hahahaha.

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2007, 06:14:22 PM »
Update : As I'm writing this, I'm trying out the new Hydrocore Scalarizers.

Wow. The swirl effect of the crystal scalarizer seems to be much more emphasized in this one. If you weren't looking, you could almost swear there was a chorus pedal somewhere.

Teka. I need more ears to listen and confirm my observations :D

For fans of the swirly sound, this is a great choice for you. Chorus without the pedal :D

Ako, fan ng swirly sound... but I'd like to find some way to switch it on/off.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2007, 09:14:41 AM »
Okidoki ! :D .

How can one resist ? Firebottle and the Blue Rats in one venue ? :D.

Potah...magdududa na naman ako sa pagkalalake ko neto hahahaha.

Ayus!  See you guys tonight. :-)

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2007, 09:52:36 AM »
Quote from: BAMF
remodified Behringer B1 and C1 microphones, this time getting rid of the grainy-sounding ceramic capacitors and replacing those with film-type caps.

naku mukhang mahirap ito.. you need those magnifying glass and a steady hand.  :-) :-D

based on the graph, medyo slightly pareho yung frequency..dapat siguro may screenshot ng before and after installment ng scalarizer.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 09:55:17 AM by dantuts »
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2007, 01:25:29 AM »
Update again !

Yes yes yes !!!! Multiple guitarists have confirmed what my ears have been hearing.

The hydrocore truly has a noticeable chorus effect...and something else...it really does sound "watery"and relaxing. Imagine the overtones you hear from rolling waves...ah well...Fafa Anton...help with the adjectives naman here :D.

We think this will fit perfectly for a jazz-assigned guitar. Perfect.

Next stop : two units of the new Aircore scalarizer have been finished and are ready for testing. Monday na. Pahinga naman.

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2007, 07:50:06 AM »
Alam ko may forumite dito na nag wo-work sa NAMM.  I remember posting on a thread where in that famous asian teenager from youtube demanded a big amount of money to play at NAMM with ESP guitar, but NAMM never really gave him the chance, as to the forumite who work there confirmed.  I hope he would bump into this thread sometime, somehow.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2007, 07:56:05 PM »
Update again !

Yes yes yes !!!! Multiple guitarists have confirmed what my ears have been hearing.

The hydrocore truly has a noticeable chorus effect...and something else...it really does sound "watery"and relaxing. Imagine the overtones you hear from rolling waves...ah well...Fafa Anton...help with the adjectives naman here :D.

Next stop : two units of the new Aircore scalarizer have been finished and are ready for testing. Monday na. Pahinga naman.

Hey fafa!

Sorry for being scarce, you know how things are  :wink:

As for the hydrocore, it's name lives up to what my ears hear. It is watery, almost chorusy but not over bearing. Not as in, total warble, it is very very subtle, and should be really good for jazz. The definition is great, as that is the scalarizer's main trait, but playing with the hydrocore Saturday evening made me feel good, as complex chords sound warm, lush and with a hint of "water". Soothing indeed.

Hey fafa, since it's Lolo Aya's b-day, why don't we send one over for him as a gift? It only befits him, as the country's foremost jazz monster, to enjoy this tootsie, should it satisfy his ears and merits his approval :-)

i'm only a jazz teenager fafa, a pubescent pimply kid with peach fuzz in the lower abdominal regions, in light of jazz, my voice is still breaking  :mrgreen:
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

radiostationexp

« Reply #122 on: April 17, 2007, 09:15:53 PM »
Update again !

Just tried this out at PIMP kanina and I swear it does sound "watery".  :-)

Di pa ako marunong tumugtog ng jazz ("Jazz got lucky" siguro  :-D), pero ang sarap tugtugin and intro ng "Little Wing" with it!

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #123 on: April 18, 2007, 02:19:13 PM »
Nice doing business with you Bamf.. i got the Bakemono and a few scalarizers..3 metal and 3 crystals..ano naman yung " GRAY " colored ones??? para saan ito..oo nga pala THANKS din sa gray ones kasi mukhang TY ito..
Music is art in sound...

Offline dyugs666

« Reply #124 on: April 18, 2007, 02:34:34 PM »
Sirs, ano po ang Bakemono? Thanks! :)
@jugsjugsjugs on Twitter and Instagram