hulika

Author Topic: Scalarizer Thread - Part II - Soundclips of the Epi SG test on page 60  (Read 278952 times)

Offline jaythegame

• Veteran Member
Re: Scalarizer Thread - Part II
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2007, 04:09:25 AM »
Boss Jay, ano po ang Scalizer? Parang Scalarizer pero mali? :-P

ay scalarizer pala ule.. hehe.. sobrang dami kong tintype sa work nagkandabuhol bihol na utak ko hehe.. :-D
geeesh

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2007, 12:57:02 PM »
BAMF / dominant_chord -- I got the scalarizers I bought a few weeks back!  Di pa nakakabit.  Baka next weekend na at napaka-hectic ng week na ito.  Paano nga ba ikabit?  Which wire will this replace?

Offline gjuanengo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2007, 01:24:05 PM »
Solder it in between the signal out lug on your switch or volume control and the HOT wire from your input jack. :-D
Get Wylde.

Offline dominant_chord2005

• Veteran Member
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2007, 06:02:51 PM »
BAMF / dominant_chord -- I got the scalarizers I bought a few weeks back!  Di pa nakakabit.  Baka next weekend na at napaka-hectic ng week na ito.  Paano nga ba ikabit?  Which wire will this replace?

look for the smaller wire in your output jack connection....then make a series connection after desoldering one end of the wire from the output jack...para di ma short..wag sa ground dahil hum lng maririnig mo..walang guitar sound...let me know how it goes..PM me or BAMF.
"Practice makes perfect."

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2007, 05:09:17 AM »

look for the smaller wire in your output jack connection....then make a series connection after desoldering one end of the wire from the output jack...para di ma short..wag sa ground dahil hum lng maririnig mo..walang guitar sound...let me know how it goes..PM me or BAMF.

ok.  bahala na si batman.   i'll let you know kung anong kalabasan.

Offline carl_sysad

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2007, 04:35:35 PM »
magkano po magpascalarize?
The nail that sticks out gets hammered!

Offline v00doochi1d

• Veteran Member
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2007, 04:46:41 PM »
Meyn musta na...cyencya na pu ulet..hehehehhe..text lang meyn kung kelan ako pwede pumunta sa shop mo...thanks let meyn!!BEST!!!! :mrgreen:

Offline chito_eoi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2007, 12:17:46 AM »
magkano po magpascalarize?

P500 lang Carl, just like buying a new set of strings
pero... scalarizer really has to do something for your tone!

- just like having a pre-eq (mas nagiging balance yung tunog ng guitar mo)
- nagging more responsive yung picking mo sa strings
- kung ano yung gusto mong tunog sigurado lalabas

as what ive said on the first thread....
i was about to buy a pair of pick-ups for my ibby, kase nasasagwaan nko sa tunog ng guitar ko.
but then after namin i-try yung scalarizer... di ko na sya pinaalis sa guitar ko, and hindi nrin ako bumili ng pick-ups..

sumarap lalo pag gigitara ko  :wink:

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2007, 01:55:21 AM »
i'm still having a honeymoon with the organicore installed in my tele. yum! it does wonders with actives.
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2007, 11:34:38 AM »
Jepoy and KitC started a series of tests on the scalarizer to uncover more of its properties. Basically the findings confirm some of our observations and some surprised us. So we ran the signals through Sonar and observed the waves.  Here are the results :

1. There is some insertion loss in the waveform observed when the scalarizer is put in the signal path. There should be, as it is technically a passive device. It's just surprising why we don't notice it, and in certain cases, it even seems like the guitar got more gain.

2. The phase of the signal is reversed from the original. There is a 180 degree phase reversal between the original signal and the signal passed through a scalarizer. For guitars, this should not be an issue because...well...we usually have only one amp and our signal is mono. Even if we used stereo, the output from the speakers will still be in phase with the scalarized guitar output. The only point of possible issue is the amplified sound being out of phase with the guitar's pickups. This should be an issue...but...how does this explain that the sustain of guitars get enhanced ? :D . It requires more detailed study such as the effect of an out of phase signal to a strings vibrational node points. I think I have a nice theory...but I'll work it out first.

3. As generally observed, upper mids frequencies are enhanced, signal peaks are kinda "rounded off" and overtones are introduced. This is what makes the scalarizer do what it does...create "sparkle" in the guitar sound.

There. That's the first installment of our more scientific analysis of the scalarizer. In our next round, we will be using white noise and hopefully, a balanced and accurate measuring microphone :D
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2007, 11:36:33 AM »
BAMF - I was due to get 'organicored' soon but I sold my Epi SG w/ crystal last night. Buyer was delighted.  And it turns out he's with a pretty famous band right now.  Soon you will see the guitar performing on TV/MTV, pati weekend noon-time shows.  Then pwede natin evaluate kung yung scalarizer eh maganda rin ang tunog sa TV. :-)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2007, 11:39:48 AM »
Jepoy and KitC started a series of tests on the scalarizer to uncover more of its properties. Basically the findings confirm some of our observations and some surprised us. So we ran the signals through Sonar and observed the waves.  Here are the results :

1. There is some insertion loss in the waveform observed when the scalarizer is put in the signal path. There should be, as it is technically a passive device. It's just surprising why we don't notice it, and in certain cases, it even seems like the guitar got more gain.

2. The phase of the signal is reversed from the original. There is a 180 degree phase reversal between the original signal and the signal passed through a scalarizer. For guitars, this should not be an issue because...well...we usually have only one amp and our signal is mono. Even if we used stereo, the output from the speakers will still be in phase with the scalarized guitar output. The only point of possible issue is the amplified sound being out of phase with the guitar's pickups. This should be an issue...but...how does this explain that the sustain of guitars get enhanced ? :D . It requires more detailed study such as the effect of an out of phase signal to a strings vibrational node points. I think I have a nice theory...but I'll work it out first.

3. As generally observed, upper mids frequencies are enhanced, signal peaks are kinda "rounded off" and overtones are introduced. This is what makes the scalarizer do what it does...create "sparkle" in the guitar sound.

There. That's the first installment of our more scientific analysis of the scalarizer. In our next round, we will be using white noise and hopefully, a balanced and accurate measuring microphone :D

Thanks for doing/sharing this!  Good stuff. :-)

Looking forward to the next installment of "The Science of the Scalarizer".

Offline el dorko

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2007, 06:45:16 PM »
nasubukan ko kagabi yung organicore kina BAMF, nagpakabit yung kaibigan ko sa ibby niya, hanep! sarap ng tunog.  :-)
www.youtube.com/jebspogi<br />www.soundclick.com/jebs<br />www.facebook.com/ginilingfestival<br /

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2007, 10:47:58 AM »
Thanks Jebs :D

By the way guys, you can have your guitars scalarized on weekends na. Si Mohawk can handle your installation requirements already :D

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2007, 10:53:23 AM »
Sir Jobet meron akong 25W na amp na mukhang scratchy yung ibang pots and parang may ground, pwede bang ipasilip sa inyo sayang kasi yung amp, pa-scalarize na rin hehe. :lol:

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2007, 11:26:34 AM »
just a suggestion, a screenshoot of the testing might be useful.
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2007, 11:35:53 AM »
Sir Jobet meron akong 25W na amp na mukhang scratchy yung ibang pots and parang may ground, pwede bang ipasilip sa inyo sayang kasi yung amp, pa-scalarize na rin hehe. :lol:

Yup. Mahiwagang iniksyon lang katapat nyan.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
just a suggestion, a screenshoot of the testing might be useful.

Sige ser. Next time KitC and Jepoy are in the studio, I'll ask for the sonar session file and get a screen-shot. Very visually noticeable are the rounded peaks and the phase reversal, as well as the adding of small humps which we believe are the overtones.

Offline Deep_Blue

« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2007, 09:25:13 PM »
si bamf thank sa scallerize ako yung may worn out na evh replica. the tone incredible nabuhay ang guitar ko!
"I don't know anybody that uses the damn tone control on a guitar, at least I don't. For me, it's all the way up, period." -EVH

"I like thin frets, that way it's more precise, the bigger, the fatter the fret is the worse the intonation is."-EVH

Offline chito_eoi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2007, 10:34:45 AM »
may konting ingay yung strat ko boss Jobet!
maybe i should have my pick-ups waxed?

maybe next week dalhin ko sa operating table mo :)

Offline nogi

« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2007, 10:39:36 PM »
pascalarize ko un js 1000 ko at fender tele japan custom.. magkano abutin? at wat maganda na gawin na scalarize dito?

Offline chito_eoi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2007, 10:45:50 PM »
nogi,
ako distributor (tama ba to?) ng scalarizer sa north...
i have a metal and crystal scalarizer na pwede mo i test kung ano mas swak sa taste mo  :wink:

San Simon Pampanga lang ako, kapitbahay ko yung tollgate

same price dude P500.00/ scalarizer
tapos may libre kang 3 bottles ng beer :)

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2007, 12:57:08 AM »
Ahhh I'm back .

Sarap ng bakasyon. Much needed grabe.

Updates: We just tested the ceramic core scalarizer on Eric's custom fretless bass. (yo Microchimp...when I got back to the shop and checked the color-coding, the blue lead one was the graphite pala...the one we installed was ceramic). It sounded very good. From our initial testing on guitars tho, it has a character that's akin to the crystal although slightly different. It's got this "graininess" which adds a different character to the sparkle.

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2007, 06:26:30 PM »
Sir jobet wow green na yung stars niyo hehe.
anyway, tama po ba yung pagkabit sa epi flying V?
I took off the pickguard tapos dun ko sa 3way switch kinabit yung scalarizer. May 2main wires yung switch, one goes on one side tapos yung isa split into 3, dun ko sa una kinabit (yung isa lang), tama po ba? thanks. :-)
romansahin ko muna yung 60th anniv MIA Strat ko with EMG's bago ko dual scalarize, parang di na kailangan scalarize e pero siyempre kailangan subukan. :lol:

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2007, 07:17:21 PM »
Epiphone flying V...hmmm...Les Paul type switch.

Disconnect the wire going to the center lug of the switch. Insert the scalarizer there, one lead to the switch and the other lead to the wire you disconnected.

For strats, it's easier. Just remove the output jack plate, disconnect the wire that goes t the "hot" terminal (usually a red or white wire) and insert the scalarizer there.

Think of it as a special jumper lang :D. To the guitar, it's practically just a wire.