hulika

Author Topic: Chicosci, Slapshock or Typecast? (Merged)  (Read 50661 times)

Offline Mustspit

• Veteran Member
Re: Chicosci or Slapshock?
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2007, 09:30:52 PM »
^coz nung una pa lang.. the critics of slapshock always thought that they are a band who would not last.
well..ano ngayon? slapshock proved them wrong!. naka 10years sila.. cinelebrate pa nila sa pulp summerslam 7 deadly sins ang anniversary nila together with their cohorts (queso and houndz).. and now they're working on a new album!  :evil:

:-D :evil:\m/
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 09:38:16 PM by Mustspit »
It's been 2 hours and 6 days, since you made my world a cold place, with nothing to see, and nothing to hear, i walk alone with a hope inside me, and this world refused to guide me, with nothing to feel and this wounds won't heal...

Offline Mustspit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2007, 09:47:48 PM »
@insultedgamer eto pala review ni Joey dizon sa SILENCE. wala lang :-D

THIS BAND JUST GETS BETTER AND BETTER

Hot off their rebirth into heavy metal, via their previous disc Novena,
and growing further away from the nu metal tag they acquired, being one-third of the biggest genre-triumverate the country has ever seen, Slapshock has the uncanny ability to prove everybody wrong; when audiences thought they were mere copycats of a style destined for an early doom, they reinvented their sound. When audiences thought they would'nt last in a music industry riddled with the trappings of trend-based marketing and hype, they released album after album during the weirdest of times: during the pogi-rock explosion, the emo-explosion and well, now, during the "doesn't-sound-like-rock-at-all" explosion.

Silence, the band's fifth studio album to date, is a welcome departure from the old Slapshock sound; it's obviously heavier than ever, as guitarists Lean Ansing, Bassist Lee Nadela and Jerry Basco, alongside drummer Chi Evora, shines as musicians who got the extra mile and in the tradition of the genre, challenge the current norm. Furiously fast-picked riifs, a refreshing double-pedal attack above the grooves and a lower-than-hell bottom end is more than effective to make first-time listeners of the new disc ask "Was THAT Slapshock?!!" in total dumbfounded-ness. Album opener "Shed your skin" is the perfect welcome mat, as it sums up what the time in between albums has made of these established musicians. As most musicians/bands (like Metallica) have grown softer and become slower with age, vocalist Jamir garcia and company seem to be going for the different direction, despite the fact they're almost comparably successful in their own right.

But what's exceptionally noteworthy with the release is that all these improvements still haven't taken away one important aspect  to this unit: their identity. Yes, it does sound weird that they're as heavy as hell, but it won't take fans and occasional listeners more than three seconds to know that it's them: possibly due to Garcia's distinct vocals and writing style, or maybe even the arrangements and continually climaxing approach of the songs' structures: check out tracks like marching "Sleepless Blvd.," and the throbbing, stop-and-go progressions of "Last ride" and "What we are." it sounds more like a natural evolution than a career move. And that's a big plus.

Old fans needn't be afraid that it all might be too heavy for them, as Garcia (as a vocalist), still hasn't forgotten to create humongous catch phrases and sing-along anthems, coupled off with his honed ability to actually sing, as evident in the album's first single "Direction." It could be that all of Garcia's projects outside the band as a producer and songwriter for R n' B and Hip-Hop artists have come in as an effective tool in the band, alongside the rest of the band's unshamed admittance to listening (and liking) other artists from other more pop-based genres and sub-genres. Also, Garcia hasn't abandoned his skills to write in the native tongue, as tracks like "Adios" and "Pagtila" are reminiscent of their past tune "Misterio," as the music doesn't sound awkward of forced at all, and add a proud charm to local listeners' tastes.

Sound-wise, there are a lot of high notes Garcia might have a hard time reproducing live, and the songs for the rest of the band might be more physically demanding when played live compared to their older tunes (which enable 'em to be jumping all over the place...) yet the mix, production and yes, even the sleeve design, is simply a work Slapshock can be proud of. I honestly can't think of anything wrong with this release, and I'm sure this is one disc that'll be among the few most memorable achievements in mainstream rock music this 2006. Finally

-Joey Dizon,
Pulp editor-in-chief
It's been 2 hours and 6 days, since you made my world a cold place, with nothing to see, and nothing to hear, i walk alone with a hope inside me, and this world refused to guide me, with nothing to feel and this wounds won't heal...

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2007, 08:58:36 AM »
I was dreamin' when I wrote this
Forgive me if it goes astray

But when I woke up this mornin'
Coulda sworn it was judgment day

The sky was all purple
There were people runnin' everywhere

Tryin' 2 run from the destruction
U know I didn't even care

'Cuz they say two thousand zero zero party over
Oops out of time
So tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999

I was dreamin' when I wrote this
So sue me if I go 2 fast

But life is just a party
And parties weren't meant 2 last

War is all around us
My mind says prepare 2 fight

So if I gotta die
I'm gonna listen 2 my body tonight

Yeah, they say two thousand zero zero party over
Oops out of time
So tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999
Yeah

Lemme tell ya somethin'
If U didn't come 2 party
Don't bother knockin' on my door
I got a lion in my pocket
And baby he's ready 2 roar

Yeah, everybody's got a bomb
We could all die any day
But before I'll let that happen
I'll dance my life away

They say two thousand zero zero party over
Oops out of time
We're runnin' outta time
So tonight we gonna, we gonna (Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999)

Say it 1 more time
Two thousand zero zero party over
Oops out of time
No, no

Alright, it's 1999
You say it, 1999
1999 don't stop, don't stop, say it 1 more time

Two thousand zero zero party over
Oops out of time
Yeah, Yeah

Yeah, 1999
Don'tcha wanna go
Don'tcha wanna go
We could all die any day
I don't wanna die
I'd rather dance

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2007, 09:29:50 AM »
^tanungin mo si Lyle sacris sa ginawa niyang "egent egent orange" video at pagtawanan mo siya :lol:  :evil:

ha ? sino ba yan ? di kilala yan eh sorry

Offline Mustspit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2007, 02:51:07 PM »
^ah ganun ba? long hair po siya.. sikat na direktor po siya ng mga rock videos. gaya ng egent egent orange, swinky swinky or swim swim atbp. :lol: maraming nakakakilala sa kanyang mga nag-aaral ng films sa up..  at maraming nakaappreciate sa ginawa niya sa egent egent orange get up get up get up!  :-D

Offline spilledmilk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #106 on: July 03, 2007, 08:21:43 AM »
eh eto:
lost da feelin' in mah lost da feelin' in mah head lost da feelin' in mah rrrin mah HEADDDDD!!!
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst
Siochi Custom Lead GT 50 Watt Head
Matching 2x12 Cab with Vintage 30s

Offline IncX

« Reply #107 on: July 03, 2007, 04:23:25 PM »

i cant believe this thread turned into a slapshock appreciation thread *lol*

anyway ... lyle is a good with visuals. thats his strength. i dont blame for agent orange. its hard to come up with images for a song that doesnt have meaning.

as for joey dizon... i think he is a nice guy and a good guitar player... but cmon... i'd rather listen to howard stern than that guy. ok, i take that back... i'd rather listen to some unknown forum guy rather than that @ss-ki$$ing reviews he does for that pseudo rock magazine.

Offline bluebossa

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #108 on: July 03, 2007, 05:09:22 PM »
vampire social club...astig! :-D

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #109 on: July 03, 2007, 11:13:27 PM »

yung part na nagbato ng drumstick yung drummer, so lame hehehe, nakakatawa siya hindi mukhang astig na mukhang siga.. anyway di na naman yata yun ang drummer nila ngayon eh ehehehe good thing.. saka yung bassist na part na paikot ikot siya parang ewan hahaha sana man lang manggagaya sila ng moves sa mga foreigner ayusin na nila hindi yung mag mumukha silang [cherrypie]
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 11:15:43 PM by bugoy »

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #110 on: July 03, 2007, 11:18:10 PM »
ahhh ganon ba ? sorry i have no intesrest in music video making :-D

^ah ganun ba? long hair po siya.. sikat na direktor po siya ng mga rock videos. gaya ng egent egent orange, swinky swinky or swim swim atbp. :lol: maraming nakakakilala sa kanyang mga nag-aaral ng films sa up..  at maraming nakaappreciate sa ginawa niya sa egent egent orange get up get up get up!  :-D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 04:18:14 AM by bugoy »

Offline Mustspit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #111 on: July 04, 2007, 02:41:17 PM »

yung part na nagbato ng drumstick yung drummer, so lame hehehe, nakakatawa siya hindi mukhang astig na mukhang siga.. anyway di na naman yata yun ang drummer nila ngayon eh ehehehe good thing.. saka yung bassist na part na paikot ikot siya parang ewan hahaha sana man lang manggagaya sila ng moves sa mga foreigner ayusin na nila hindi yung mag mumukha silang [cherrypie]

^siya yung drummer ng chicosci. at wala na yata sa band yung percussionist nila..
yung mga vampires sa vid. eh parang puros mga bata eh noh. nasan na mga old listers ng chicoscience?! puro mga nagvavampire-vampirean na lang ba? na one sided ang buhok at nakamake up? :lol:

Offline insultedgamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #112 on: July 04, 2007, 08:37:06 PM »
Di'ba 1999 ang  time set ng comparison?
Please be active at Pinoy Music Fan Forums. :)

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2007, 12:03:47 AM »
1999.. hmm.. slapshock na lang.. mas ok silang live.. yung chicosci, ewan ko ngayon a.. pero dati, sabog sila live eh.. pero astig yung mga songs nila noon.. ngayon.. ewan ko na lang din. hindi ko na pinapakinggan either bands ngayon.. ang sinundan ko na lang keso.. hmm..

Offline insultedgamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2007, 07:24:04 PM »
Nakito ko nanaman ang Slapshock... makapag-02jam nga muna :-D 8-)

Offline Mustspit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2007, 07:54:33 PM »
^ahahaha! ang hirap nung direction eh noh?!  :-D wah.. di pa rin ako natututo mag-autojam..haha! masarap din laruin ang sugod :lol:

papost lang ng news dito..  :-D

07.10.07...SLAPSHOCK and EMI Mutually Agrees to End Contract
After 8 years and 5 albums with EMI Philippines, Slapshock has ended its ties with its recording label. The band sees this new development as an opportunity for them to explore other things. Watchout for announcement as to what label the 6th album in the making would be released under. Management and bookings in the meantime will be handled by Mr.Charles Anthony Mangubat, pls. contact 0916-4263919 or 456-0201.

Offline insultedgamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2007, 06:51:19 PM »
^ahahaha! ang hirap nung direction eh noh?!  :-D wah.. di pa rin ako natututo mag-autojam..haha! masarap din laruin ang sugod :lol:

papost lang ng news dito..  :-D

07.10.07...SLAPSHOCK and EMI Mutually Agrees to End Contract
After 8 years and 5 albums with EMI Philippines, Slapshock has ended its ties with its recording label. The band sees this new development as an opportunity for them to explore other things. Watchout for announcement as to what label the 6th album in the making would be released under. Management and bookings in the meantime will be handled by Mr.Charles Anthony Mangubat, pls. contact 0916-4263919 or 456-0201.

Basta magsimula ka ng x4 !!

Gawin mo pahirap ng pahirap!! Hehehe.

Anu kaya mangyayari sa Slapshock?

Offline Mustspit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2007, 10:35:13 PM »
^:lol:.. kelangan pala seryosohin ang pagpractice ng 02jam!  :evil:

hmmm.. siguro they will be signed by another major label.. kasi nung nasa EMI na sila marami rin namang tempting offers na dumarating sa kanila..pero di nila tinatanggap, kasi iba din ang relationship nila with EMI, lam ko dapat may isa pang album ang slap with EMI eh..pero baka gusto na rin talaga ng slap i-end ang contract dun..this year or next year din kasi ilalabas yung 6th album nila.. sana masigned na sila! \m/

ROCK AND GROWL!  :evil:

Offline insultedgamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2007, 06:36:39 PM »
Indie na lang sila!!  :-) 8-)

Offline tambolista

« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2007, 04:48:20 PM »
I'll go with SLAPSHOCK! Listen to the SILENCE album kasi para sa akin nag evolve ang tunog nila. Sobrang malinis. With growls parin pero the lyrics are deep and based on real life experience. Gusto ko yung "PAGTILA". Just my opinion..... \m/ :-)

Offline insultedgamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2007, 07:23:08 PM »
Seems like Slapshock is winning the thread. Kung Milleniums ang time set.

Eh 1999 nga pala.  :-) :-)

nO RLY

« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2007, 07:51:41 PM »
slapshock was already on the rise to fame(?) that time. agent orange nga. hehe.. and Chicosci was still in the underground indie scene. but one thing common about these 2 bands way back is that they wear those oversized shirts and dreads. natatawa ako sa itsura ni miggy chavez noon. dreads! hehe. :-D they are also masters of the GROWL (rawrr!!) technique. hehe..
so para sa akin? Slapshock nalang..
pero kung ngayon? siguro Chicosci nalang. :-)

Offline insultedgamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2007, 10:08:17 PM »
Sa ngayon Chicoci muna.

Offline petrucci69

• Veteran Member
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2007, 10:14:46 PM »
slapshock!

Offline Mustspit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2007, 10:23:38 PM »
slapshock was already on the rise to fame(?) that time. agent orange nga. hehe.. and Chicosci was still in the underground indie scene. but one thing common about these 2 bands way back is that they wear those oversized shirts and dreads. natatawa ako sa itsura ni miggy chavez noon. dreads! hehe. :-D they are also masters of the GROWL (rawrr!!) technique. hehe..
so para sa akin? Slapshock nalang..
pero kung ngayon? siguro Chicosci nalang. :-)

^sama mo narin Queso at houndz! ahaha! kasi they all started with a rap metal get up.. and all their songs have Growls!  :evil:

napanud ko pala kanina sa wazzup2x chicosci hehe.. yung sa new album nila.. yung teenage manila death squad lang yung may part na growl.. and yun lang ang mabigat bigat na kanta nila sa new album.. pero pag tinutugtog nila mga new tracks nila eh halos lahat may growl hehehe. ano yun Screamoooh?! ahaha.. sana di na lang nila inalis yung growl ni miggy.. kahit di na mabagsik.. tama naman yung sigaw niya kasi pang emo yung boses niya at sigaw :lol: ..

i'm glad slapshock is STILL GROWLING...
at hindi masyadong nagmellow..at nag pop punk/post-hardcore/emo sounding.
they're heavy yet melodic and they're goin in a different direction and i think it's metalcore!  :-D..
excited nako sa new album! \m/  :evil:

@tambolista! pagtila ng ulan, ika'y di na luluha, pagsikat ng araw, ika'y di na luluha.. apir!  8-)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 10:26:45 PM by Mustspit »