hulika

Author Topic: The first ever Baker B3 in Manila!!! - LOCKED  (Read 35691 times)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: First Ever Baker B3 in Manila!!!
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2007, 09:08:48 AM »
The Bakers from ed roman are MIJ ata...  hindi ata si Gene ang gumawa nun mga yon :-)

i didn't even know there were MIJ Baker guitars. then again, the only b3 and XS i ever played were in NY. i played a couple of pieces similar in design to Gene's B3 from Jacobs and Jet. nice pieces of luthier work but like Poundcake's thoughts on them, the guitars never appealed to me cosmetically. i loved the tone, definitely. i would do a session with ém but a gig? i dunno...
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2007, 09:34:45 AM »
Yup the bakers from ed roman are not real bakers. He bought the rights to them when gene went out of business back in 04 (i think). So he has the body style and the name ... but none of the details that go into a B3 now.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2007, 09:49:58 AM »
i didn't even know there were MIJ Baker guitars. then again, the only b3 and XS i ever played were in NY. i played a couple of pieces similar in design to Gene's B3 from Jacobs and Jet. nice pieces of luthier work but like Poundcake's thoughts on them, the guitars never appealed to me cosmetically. i loved the tone, definitely. i would do a session with ém but a gig? i dunno...

MIJ Baker = Bakero

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2007, 11:32:25 AM »
bwahahaha :-D :-D :-D

Offline tolits

« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2007, 01:49:43 AM »
Phil,

As much as I want to PM, I am using someone else's ID.  So, I got it for 5150 (Hey.... Van Halen .... which amazingly this guitar has no problem doing)  plus 40 shipping in the US via DHL.  Best to contact Cliff by phone but I only email and his response is prompt.  Phone is the way to go based on vhunter's experience because madaldal si Cliff and I guess based on his experience, you will learn so much more in 30 minutes compared to gazillion hours spent on so many gear forums.  Plus you are in the U.S. which means cheaper National rates?

To all,

I forgot to mention something.  This guitar has some addicting mojo to it.  As my close friend Arie would joke, its gots some weed thing going on...  This guitar is the opposite of most high end guitars which seem to have a great initial impact on you but gets disappointing as the days go by.

When I and Arie first saw the guitar, we were UNDERWHELMED.  It is not what you expect out of a guitar of that price in the looks department.  Ang joke pa nga ni Arie, Korea lang yata ito.  At that point in time, I was ready to switch to Plan B -- which was to dispose.  Physically, the flame is only obvious at specific angles.  I also did not like the headstock shape initially -- more on that later.    So, it was Arie who first plugged in and he was immediately stunned.  Naka CONNECT raw siya immediately.  Never was there a guitar in his whole life that made him CONNECT in less than a minute.  So, Arie actually played the guitar several hours more soulful than I and his people ever heard him play his whole life and we ABed versus his Strat which in the end sounded more harsh and thin -- despite the fact that his NO.1 Strat was more distorted and gained out.  There was at least a good hour of jam tracks in a PA system with the Baker B3 thru his solid state Yamaha which was a funny sight for me because he never could stand Les Paul type guitars with a mid hump.  But the mid on this B3 just sounded so good.    I think he could not work that day.  So, I brought it home and plugged it thru some tube amps and was not immediately impressed other than the hiyaw factor which was really was off the scale.  You could bend for days without choking or sounding flat.  It got richer as you approached the top of the bend.  I was also having a problem with the set up because I was not used to higher action on a chunkier 59 sized neck.  So, I tuned down a half step just to adjust.  It took me about 3 days to adjust playability wise.  Another difficulty I  was also having was the settings on my amp because it was just then that I realized I needed less gain on the amps because the amount of string vibration running thru the pickups was driving the amp much more on my usual settings.  At first I suspected that lollars were high output but switching to clean disproved that because clean felt like it was an acoustic guitar on chorus with volume pot at half way.  But the clincher came when I started comparing it to my other guitars.  It was the worst AB of my life because it demonstrated each guitar's shortcoming relative to the B3 regardless of type. 

The next victim is vhunter.  He was the 3rd guy to play it in the Philippines.  To summarize, he was NOT that impressed but did acknowledge that it was a great sounding guitar.  We played it thru his gear --- love his stuff --- and he felt it did not approach his gold top.  But yesterday, he texts and misses it.  So the score is arie -- 1minute, alex -- 3 days, vhunter -- 8 days. 

Fourth victim is steve with an hour or two on the guitar.  All I can say is: there were moments wherein steve was having an out of body experience when we were testing at vhunter's house.  I only realized this when steve was doing some jazz and CLASSICAL stuff.  Huh?  Classical.  But it sounded so good with classical. 

Fifth victim is lito.  Lito acknowledges its an airy guitar that you makes you forget that you need a strat but for him is not worth the dough because he thinks it looks kengkoy.  Parang below his expectations because he was expecting a new body shape.

Right now, I am adjusted and the guitar is NO struggle whatsoever.  The amps now have new settings and new parameter because as I said before using the super high gain setting puts this guitar into a distortion with a fuzz feel without ever needing a fuzz pedal.  Everyday I look forward to playing it.   On the looks, the neck joint heel is really a set neck.  I believe it beats the current Gibson and PRS joints in terms of looks and accessibility.  In fact the the neck joint to the horn is slanted in a way that makes you grab the neck joint and wrap your thumb over the fingerboard.  If however, you tend to play the higher register with your thumb in the center of the neck classical style,  mas tama ang PRS neck and chamfer on the lower horn.  Despite its assymetrical looks, this is more balanced than a PRS most probably due to the wood weight distribution and upper and lower horns which are more sharp and better looking than PRS.  Also, I and vhunter believe that this 9 pound guitar feels like an 8 pound guitar because of its design.    On the headstock, if you look at it from the front i.e. with the whole guitar facing you parang there is something wrong with the headstock.  However if you actually sling the guitar you will notice that there is a slight angle on the headstock that actually makes the headstock look bigger than it should and thus looks correct parang ibanez na RG.  I actually took a shot of this in one of the pics in the first part of this thread.  Initially, I love how the PRS headstock looks from a frontal position but once you sling the guitar, I suddenly get the feeling that the PRS headstock feels small relative to its neck and body.  Not so with the B3.  The assymetrical side of the headstock facing you when slung is much longer than the lower side of the headstock and thus making it feel as if the headstock length is ok.  Hard to explain but somehow like everything about the B3, it seems to connect with you one day at a time.   

I am not a poster boy for baker but I just felt the need to share my experience and other's experience with the guitar and more or less these five people are not neophytes and from the start are biased against baker in the sense that we all had the attitude of PROVE IT TO US FIRST.  We all had our shares of US FENDERs, US GIBSONS, US PRS, Custom Shop ESPs, Ibanez, etc.,  as a collective group. and frankly might even be individually wishing that these known guitars had the properties of the Baker.  But when reality sets in, I just have to forego tradition and guitar culture because after showing off your new Ten Top Maple Flame top with Brazilian Rosewood Neck bound in curly maple and gold inlays with period correct nitro and getting all your praises from guitar dudes and a few babes who may or may not understand what a good looking guitar is -- dadamputin mo pa rin kung saan ang tunog.

P.S. I am not mad at PRS.  But from the dozen or so USA made PRS, including two Santana 3s, Several Custom 24s, Mccartys, pre-89 PRS that I have tried which are so unimpressive  soundwise and  comparing one Baker B3 to them all that gets it right the first time by mail at that, you have better chances of finding a good sounding guitar with Baker.  Forget about Gibson USA and Fender USA.  You need to be well connected like vhunter to get the good ones.

alex

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2007, 03:13:12 AM »
Phil,

As much as I want to PM, I am using someone else's ID.  So, I got it for 5150 (Hey.... Van Halen .... which amazingly this guitar has no problem doing)  plus 40 shipping in the US via DHL.  Best to contact Cliff by phone but I only email and his response is prompt.  Phone is the way to go based on vhunter's experience because madaldal si Cliff and I guess based on his experience, you will learn so much more in 30 minutes compared to gazillion hours spent on so many gear forums.  Plus you are in the U.S. which means cheaper National rates?

alex
...thought it was $7500 and up ....$5K is better.  :-D
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2007, 10:56:21 AM »
Alex - As you know, I've seen and heard your Baker...  What are the chances of Arie being able to make a guitar of similar quality and worksmanship -- all things being equal (same available wood, tools, etc)?  I'm not looking to have one made, I'm just wondering about the worksmanship and quality issue and comparing it to a well-known quantity (ie, Arie). 

It's either of two things: either I am underwhelmed with the Baker or that I just had too high expectations from a custom $5k gtr.  Or perhaps I'm very familiar with Arie's skills and talent already and would have expected more from a world-renowned brand/guy like Baker who builds $5k guitars.

If so, I think that's very positive for us gtr geeks here, actually. That means world class luthiery talent and skills are available here, locally (eg, Arie), at least kung Baker rin lang ang benchmark. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 12:55:24 PM by deltaslim »

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2007, 12:20:06 PM »
Delta, I think the only missing link here is the availability of tone woods. We can always source them but not enough quantity and quality (unless of course local luthiers have connections). Other than the wood, other materials can be sourced easily. Oh not to mention lack of funding especially on the R&D side. Tools are expensive. If we can easily gain access to these materials, I'm sure local luthiers can compete globally.

IMO
Surf's Up!

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2007, 12:25:34 PM »

Phil -- Check mo destroyallguitars.com (best choice since that's ran by Cliff Cultreri), raysguitars.com, or blackcreekguitars.com.  Or if you want to luck out on used B3s, you can always patiently wait for someone to sell theirs on TGP.  A few weeks back, someone sold an early B3 with Koa top for $3+ I think.  There's a nice B1 chambered being sold right now sa TGP, and the guy is from LA so you can even check out the guitar:  http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=256229&highlight=baker
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 12:31:23 PM by PRSMan »

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2007, 12:56:04 PM »

Phil -- Check mo destroyallguitars.com (best choice since that's ran by Cliff Cultreri), raysguitars.com, or blackcreekguitars.com.  Or if you want to luck out on used B3s, you can always patiently wait for someone to sell theirs on TGP.  A few weeks back, someone sold an early B3 with Koa top for $3+ I think.  There's a nice B1 chambered being sold right now sa TGP, and the guy is from LA so you can even check out the guitar:  http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=256229&highlight=baker
hmmmm... intelesting.  :evil:
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2007, 03:47:28 PM »
I dunno but that b3 55 had mojo. Hahah... it might be a weird word to describe the guitar.. but initially it reminded me of every other guitar... but theres something to it. I wouldnt sell my les pauls for it... but i honestly think its fair at 5k considering the quality and craftsmanship.

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2007, 01:37:47 AM »
I dunno but that b3 55 had mojo. Hahah... it might be a weird word to describe the guitar.. but initially it reminded me of every other guitar... but theres something to it. I wouldnt sell my les pauls for it... but i honestly think its fair at 5k considering the quality and craftsmanship.

Uuuyyy... sabi ni Cliff someone just bought #59...  :-D  Congrats forum bro!  Those were based on Cliff's personal specs and has to rock big time!

Offline tolits

« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2007, 06:38:28 AM »
Hi... Deltaslim,

Its funny because I and Arie were just talking about that.  Its not so much whether Arie can come up with a guitar like that -- it has more to do with taking a great loss.  Arie is so inspired by the B3 to prove that he can make a guitar that will sound as good if not better.  But for him to do so, he wants to first migrate and leave the country, buy US$5k worth of wood and just keep on churning and constructing guitars trying to chance upon a good sounding combination of wood.  And he will be sending me the first piece that sounds great!!! But that means he will leave guitar repair and we all here will miss him and face such a loss...

Also, what  Arie will acknowledge, for somebody to come up with a number#55 with character and sound to boot, requires immense exposure to guitars that even he feels he is not on the same level.  Thats why for him, he wants quit guitar repair and spend time learning and testing batches of wood.  Arie believes it is not just a matter of importing wood but actually assembling them into guitars and trying them out to find out which batch sounded great and disposing the bad sounding batch.  Only then will he ever try to sell a guitar.  He also will not do any customization and will take a Gene Baker route.  Because he will ONLY put his name on a guitar that he believes will sound great kasi hindi kaya ng konsensiya niya ang maglabas ng panget na tunog na gitara which by the way I cannot say the same for a lot of luthiers in the Philippines.

So, if you ask me, I'd rather not that he try making one... Just a tidbit, I believe that Arie currently also loves the number 55 and in fact was telling me that he now tries to adjust his strat to go after the number 55's sound.  And he emphasizes that he is NOT a humbucker guy but for the first time in his life, this is the only humbucker guitar to date that he can play.

PRSman,

I believe I had something to do with that...  Currently my number 55 is with our forum brother which makes it 12 hours of extreme GASing for him as of this writing.  I think he is locked up in his studio and does not want to give me back number 55.  But congrats to our forum bro.

alex

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2007, 08:36:19 AM »

Uuuyyy... sabi ni Cliff someone just bought #59...  :-D  Congrats forum bro!  Those were based on Cliff's personal specs and has to rock big time!

miks,,, u pulled the trigger na... congrats...

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2007, 08:40:07 AM »
PRSman,

I believe I had something to do with that...  Currently my number 55 is with our forum brother which makes it 12 hours of extreme GASing for him as of this writing.  I think he is locked up in his studio and does not want to give me back number 55.  But congrats to our forum bro.

alex

Ha ha... sabi nga ni vhunter he loved your #55.  Hostage time...  :-D  I think he was even playing it while speaking with Cliff on the phone!

Got a question for you.  I want to get a good amp.  I'm not a high gain guy.  I'm a blues/classic rock kinda guy.  What would you recommend?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 09:29:07 AM by PRSMan »

Offline tolits

« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2007, 09:31:04 AM »
PRSman,

Whoah... Pictures of Number 48 please...  Is it a Fire model?  If so, what color?  What configuration?  So, do you prefer it over your PRS dude?  Congrats to you too.  Will you change your name to "Panadero"?  Heh Heh. Two new Baker acquisitions in less than a month. 

Regarding amps, I think you should ask cliff mukhang ok rin ang Twisted Triode niya.  Offhand, I would look into Komet or Two Rock but I have not heard those in person.  For 2nd hand stuff, if you can find one over there --a Rivera TBR 1-SL.  I am familiar with it and I think it is so under rated. 

alex

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2007, 11:35:53 AM »
Hi... Deltaslim,

Its funny because I and Arie were just talking about that.  Its not so much whether Arie can come up with a guitar like that -- it has more to do with taking a great loss.  Arie is so inspired by the B3 to prove that he can make a guitar that will sound as good if not better.  But for him to do so, he wants to first migrate and leave the country, buy US$5k worth of wood and just keep on churning and constructing guitars trying to chance upon a good sounding combination of wood.  And he will be sending me the first piece that sounds great!!! But that means he will leave guitar repair and we all here will miss him and face such a loss...

Also, what  Arie will acknowledge, for somebody to come up with a number#55 with character and sound to boot, requires immense exposure to guitars that even he feels he is not on the same level.  Thats why for him, he wants quit guitar repair and spend time learning and testing batches of wood.  Arie believes it is not just a matter of importing wood but actually assembling them into guitars and trying them out to find out which batch sounded great and disposing the bad sounding batch.  Only then will he ever try to sell a guitar.  He also will not do any customization and will take a Gene Baker route.  Because he will ONLY put his name on a guitar that he believes will sound great kasi hindi kaya ng konsensiya niya ang maglabas ng panget na tunog na gitara which by the way I cannot say the same for a lot of luthiers in the Philippines.

So, if you ask me, I'd rather not that he try making one... Just a tidbit, I believe that Arie currently also loves the number 55 and in fact was telling me that he now tries to adjust his strat to go after the number 55's sound.  And he emphasizes that he is NOT a humbucker guy but for the first time in his life, this is the only humbucker guitar to date that he can play.

alex

Yeah, fair enough.  Arie tells me the same thing sometimes but I also think he's too shy to brag, or even compare himself with other luthiers -- it's just not his style. He's actually under-rated, IMHO.  Not a lot of people in this forum know that Arie's restoration work has been praised as world-class by some buyers of vintage guitars in the US.

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2007, 11:47:29 AM »
PRSman,

Whoah... Pictures of Number 48 please...  Is it a Fire model?  If so, what color?  What configuration?  So, do you prefer it over your PRS dude?  Congrats to you too.  Will you change your name to "Panadero"?  Heh Heh. Two new Baker acquisitions in less than a month. 

Regarding amps, I think you should ask cliff mukhang ok rin ang Twisted Triode niya.  Offhand, I would look into Komet or Two Rock but I have not heard those in person.  For 2nd hand stuff, if you can find one over there --a Rivera TBR 1-SL.  I am familiar with it and I think it is so under rated. 

alex

#48 is a Fire model, honeyburst, korina body and neck, brazilian board, Wolftone vintage pickups, and then the usual stuff.  I've got a picture on the "post your gear" thread.  Actually, I've been wanting to change my forum nickname for a long time now, just don't know how... baka maging "the artist formely known as PRSman"...  :-D

It's really hard to compare with the custom 24s.  In my non-expert view, the Baker is in the Les Paul bucket... but much better.  Great for blues/classic rock, and versatile for other styles given you can split the coils.  I view the custom 24 as more of a "fat/heavy strat" but it will not come close to that classic Les Paul tone.  I feel that the McCarty is what PRS is trying to put in the same bucket as a Les Paul -- and my McCarty pales in comparison to the Baker no doubt.  I'm not the type who will try to say what's better this or that... I just get a different kick out of each guitar I own.  Parang tsokolate.  Kahit na type ko ang Godiva, type ko rin ang Snickers at Nips.  And chocnut of course!

Thanks for the amp recommendations.  I'll check those out.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 11:50:12 AM by PRSMan »

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2007, 02:12:48 PM »
Miks short review of alex's B3. I LOVE THIS F@CKING GUITAR! Its really killer! At first i was like.... mm.. build quality is ok... tone is a bit harsh. But its a good guitar. After using it at rehersal fro 4 plus hours and playing it by myself for the rest of the night... all i can say is this guitar rocks and i definately want one. Just a bit tied up with cash right now so I dont know.. plus cliff says 59 is reserved.

Anyway.. the guitar is different from a les paul. Its got more body.. in a good way. More bass and mids but retains the clarity. The highs sparkle and shimmer. I think its really all about the buzz feitin system. Its the first time I;ve been able to play a BF guitar with a strobe tuner and its flat out amazing. The sweetened tunings are just a beautiful thing. Im not sure if it will cut like a les paul ala slash in the illusion albums ... but it does sing. Its pretty heavy too when i was doing the dropped D stuff and it was in tune throughout the fretboard. I love the BF system. I wanna have it done to my Les Pauls.

Will I leave my les pauls for a B3? No ... but it would be a great guitar to have in the stable.

PRSman = bogner ! check out the duende for low gain tones.. i have one comin in sept.. and the shiva for everything else. Youll love it I GUARANTEE! haahhaha

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2007, 08:12:04 PM »
Miks short review of alex's B3. I LOVE THIS F@CKING GUITAR! Its really killer! At first i was like.... mm.. build quality is ok... tone is a bit harsh. But its a good guitar. After using it at rehersal fro 4 plus hours and playing it by myself for the rest of the night... all i can say is this guitar rocks and i definately want one. Just a bit tied up with cash right now so I dont know.. plus cliff says 59 is reserved.

Anyway.. the guitar is different from a les paul. Its got more body.. in a good way. More bass and mids but retains the clarity. The highs sparkle and shimmer. I think its really all about the buzz feitin system. Its the first time I;ve been able to play a BF guitar with a strobe tuner and its flat out amazing. The sweetened tunings are just a beautiful thing. Im not sure if it will cut like a les paul ala slash in the illusion albums ... but it does sing. Its pretty heavy too when i was doing the dropped D stuff and it was in tune throughout the fretboard. I love the BF system. I wanna have it done to my Les Pauls.

Will I leave my les pauls for a B3? No ... but it would be a great guitar to have in the stable.

PRSman = bogner ! check out the duende for low gain tones.. i have one comin in sept.. and the shiva for everything else. Youll love it I GUARANTEE! haahhaha

Okay ba ang Bogner XTC 101b?  I've never tried one.  Someone is offering it as a straight up trade for one of my guitars.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 01:18:36 AM by PRSMan »

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2007, 08:18:07 PM »
ako kumuha :-D

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2007, 08:24:08 PM »

I wish :-D

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2007, 08:45:07 PM »
^ :-D
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2007, 08:45:58 PM »
101b is a great amp. Im actually considering it for next year... that or an xtc classic. What you have to know though is the 101b is a more compressed high gain sound. It does medium and low gain really well but you dont get that kind of plexi type reaction. Its a little tighter and more modern. The shiva is more open.. but darker than a plexi. It also has a tad less gain .. is more open and less compressed.

The ultimate of the line though is teh xtc classic. Its less compressed than the 101b but so its a bit more dynamic... its also like 1k more than teh 101b. ahahahha. Check out the clips of blues saraceno on teh bogner site of the duende. Whats really cool about that amp is its got dual reverb and you can use both channels at the same time so you can get a fuzz on one and have it doubled with the clean channel so you get note defenition... its like running 2 amps at once. I got it coz i loved the bad cat but it had waaaaay too much power for me. Was thinking of the hot cat 15 but... im really a bogner guy.

Offline schnitzerz4

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2007, 10:24:07 PM »
ganda ng guitar =)