hulika

Author Topic: Tips on how to learn jazz  (Read 24015 times)

william251082

Re: Tips on how to learn jazz
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2008, 07:24:37 PM »
Though jazz theory is not necessary to play jazz, it will be of great help. Some people say that in jazz, you have to play what you hear. I am ok with that.

I am no jazzer, but I appreciate the theories. It helped me to become a deeper player (note: I meant deeper compared to what I was before not to other players). Don't get me wrong, I do not think of theories while I am playing. I use it when I practice. In that way, I be able to truly express myself when I am behind the keys.

Skip theory? Maybe, if you are as talented as the jazz greats. But for those who are passionate to express themselves through improvisation but lacks the gift like the greats, theories will be a great help.

Play what you hear? I wish I could do that. I wish I could easily hear the 32nd and 64th notes in a Thelonious Monk tune (Sir Aya, just correct my spelling.  :-D). It's not easy to assume the notes that they use especially if you have 88 keys in front of you.

Amateur? Someone has to start somewhere. Everybody started as a student. No one can claim that they just sat down and started playing those complicated yet beautiful tunes. They listened. They studied. They practiced. They have their own set of theories based on their understanding. I believe that once a person try to look out for patterns and tries to understand it, they are creating theories for themselves.

-Nobody is telling anybody to skip theory.
-You SHOULD play what you hear, of course not the fast stuffs you'll learn nothing from just doing random fast things.
-Nobody is putting anybody down.
-No one is here for jazz competition, just exercising the freedom of speech and hopefully be viewed positively, if not... well, that's life.

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2008, 09:21:10 PM »
Those who know don't speak, those who speak don't know.

Masikip na ang Nagmamarunong St., Teacher's Village.

Young lions often try out their roars. As it has always been, so it shall always be. Sigh.

Those who speak don't know. Those who know don't speak.
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline mayk_bam

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2008, 10:48:25 PM »

Young lions often try out their roars. As it has always been, so it shall always be. Sigh.

awww, that hurts, william...hehe...;-)
Ibanez RG530 DX, Korg X50

Offline zensui425

« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2008, 02:23:18 PM »
meow! purrrfect! :-D
One down, One up.

william251082

« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2008, 07:12:01 AM »
Hmmm... speaking of amateurish-ness...

Perhaps you meant eighth notes rather than eight notes, Sir William.

Talk's cheap, sir.

Walk the walk. It goes further towards teaching than does all these words.

c",)
I'm really sorry if I offended anyone but the intention of those words are to encourage some people out there (if viewed positively), we all have different approach on how to express/say things, that's MY way. A few words of encouragement can go a long way & I'm a firm believer in that.

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2008, 05:43:59 PM »
I'm really sorry if I offended anyone but the intention of those words are to encourage some people out there (if viewed positively), we all have different approach on how to express/say things, that's MY way. A few words of encouragement can go a long way & I'm a firm believer in that.
peace na, :-D

william251082

« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2008, 10:34:08 PM »
peace na, :-D
boy! nabuhay ka! ok yung youtube mo ah! magdagdag k pa ng marami! kelan tyo jamming hehehehe :-D

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2008, 03:33:51 PM »
boy! nabuhay ka! ok yung youtube mo ah! magdagdag k pa ng marami! kelan tyo jamming hehehehe :-D
busy dito...  :-D hehe.. musta?

Offline nhojie

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2008, 08:31:44 AM »

:-)

Posted by: jazhombie
peace na,
,musta n dyan?!paramdam k nmn!hehehe!! :evil:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 11:34:27 AM by jazhombie »
\\\\\\\"watch a man play for an hour and u can learn more about him than in talking to him for a year\\\\\\\"-PLATO

william251082

« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2008, 05:13:40 PM »
You wanna learn jazz? Play a Charlie Parker, John Coltrane , Miles davis and the likes record, if you listen well enough they're going to teach you so much more than all the theory books and jazz books you can buy.

LISTEN TO PLAYERS NOT TO THE PRETENDERS!!!

There's no shortcut in playing jazz, hearing it is probably the shortest way to gain some fluency in this language. Study now, hear later is NEVER gonna work.

And I meant true listening and internalizing it because anybody who can play the instrument can play endless eight-notes then call it 'jazz'. This is the reason why a lot of amateur always sounds funny, you sometimes hear someone who play some complicated stuff but can't continue from that. That just means that that certain idea didn't really came from a player trying to tell a story but he's just throwing out some licks.

Those words above are from scott henderson, I heard him said that in his masterclass in our conservatory last year, I just thought it would be nice to share it here.

A little criticism is ain't that bad, one of the most important part of learning is swallowing your pride.

ps. pls look at it in a positive way...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 05:23:06 PM by william251082 »

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2008, 06:45:55 PM »
Dito ka pala naglalagi William!

Kelan next lesson ko?

william251082

« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2008, 07:26:29 PM »
Dito ka pala naglalagi William!

Kelan next lesson ko?
preng sonny kmsta na! may tugtog ako sa amsterdam!
21 maart in De parsleyclub, zie www.parsleyclub.nl van 19.00 tot 23.00 uur 4 sets

alam mo kung saan yan? kya lang pra sa mga nagreserve ng dinner yan, kung gusto i-date mo si mrs mo dun, maganda ung place tingnan mo ung website. Ok un mga professional ang mga kasama ko tutugtog (ako ang pinakabano hehehehe). cge c u!

william251082

« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2008, 07:31:41 PM »
Tips on how to learn jazz?

If you have great rhythm you can play anything.
It's not the notes you play, it's in the way you play it.
Use your ears not your eyes.

Anybody who has a problem about those statements above should watch and LISTEN to some Miles Davis live concert or any great jazz musicians' live concert to realize EXACTLY what I'm talkin' about.

LISTEN TO REAL PLAYERS NOT TO THE PRETENDERS!!!

A good note can sound auwfully wrong if phrased badly or played with a bad rhythmic feel, a wrong note can sound amazing when phrased good or played with a great rhythmic feel. Judge for yourself!!!

william251082

« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
It's not the notes you play, it's how you play it!

A great jazz musician can take any note and turn it in to something!

A right note can sound horribly wrong if not phrased good or played in a bad rhythmic feel while a wrong note can sound great if played in the right musical way! Think about that irony!

Offline tritone

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2008, 05:57:06 PM »
Learn the blues first.  :-D

Offline Decay. Sustain. Release.

« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2008, 09:30:55 AM »
humility 1st..

william251082

« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2008, 04:35:21 PM »
INTERNALIZE THE MUSIC, you don't want to be just like another one of those guys na malupit ngang maggitara , wla namang kwenta ang jazz feel :-D

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2008, 11:42:22 PM »
Along the road, I understood one thing that matters the most in learning (and not just in music!): Patience. And you gotta have a lot of it.

When you think you had too much - stop. Breath. Relax. Tell yourself, "patience."

Jazz is about attitude. And this attitude will take you WAY longer than you've ever expected. You won't believe what humans can possibly do (yes, even you!) :-D

william251082

« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2008, 03:07:40 PM »
In jazz, nobody needs some self-centred virtuosos, everyone prefers someone who can LISTEN and INTERACT well!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 03:56:52 PM by william251082 »

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2008, 06:37:19 PM »
Tips on how to learn jazz?

If you have great rhythm you can play anything.
It's not the notes you play, it's in the way you play it.
Use your ears not your eyes.

Anybody who has a problem about those statements above should watch and LISTEN to some Miles Davis live concert or any great jazz musicians' live concert to realize EXACTLY what I'm talkin' about.

LISTEN TO REAL PLAYERS NOT TO THE PRETENDERS!!!

A good note can sound auwfully wrong if phrased badly or played with a bad rhythmic feel, a wrong note can sound amazing when phrased good or played with a great rhythmic feel. Judge for yourself!!!

how would i know if that certain musician i listen to is a pretender? :-D
Pare1: Pare, bat naman hanggang ngayon wala ka pang syota? wala ka pa<br />bang napupusuan?<br />Pare2: Meron.. Manhid ka lang!<br /><br />heegad.multiply.com

william251082

« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2008, 11:57:58 PM »
how would i know if that certain musician i listen to is a pretender? :-D
you'll know it yourself

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2008, 10:26:10 AM »
you'll know it yourself
oh yesss, im the great pretender!haha :-D

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2008, 12:25:59 AM »
guys, anong genre ulit yung ganito? i mean, sub genre of jazz (if there's one)
What is Hip - Bass Day 98
dave weckl's - the chicken

at ano ano pang songs ang may ganitong style? kasi naghahanap pa ako ng ganito for practice :D thanks!
Pare1: Pare, bat naman hanggang ngayon wala ka pang syota? wala ka pa<br />bang napupusuan?<br />Pare2: Meron.. Manhid ka lang!<br /><br />heegad.multiply.com

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2008, 12:06:49 PM »
Learn the blues first.  :-D

+1000000000000

Thank God somebody didn't forget to mention the blues.

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2008, 01:09:31 PM »
+1000000000000

Thank God somebody didn't forget to mention the blues.

Yep the blues! :)

One thing that I don't think should be overlooked - learn to sing! And learn to sing the blues! :-D