hulika

Author Topic: wrong grammar in pinoy rock - LOCKED  (Read 9389 times)

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
Re: wrong grammar in pinoy rock
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2007, 01:48:45 PM »
b) Bands/artists who write well, grammatically, and are not "deep".

i have no problem with that, simple, "dumb" lyrics will always have a place in rock imo

c) Bands/artists who write grammatically flawed lyrics, and this hinders the "deep" meaning they want to convey.

eto ang medyo nakaka kilabot

d) Bands/artists who write grammatically flawed lyrics, and the meaning of their songs are on par with the low quality of their lyrical skills.

this made me lol

Sepultura makes a lot of wrong grammar in their lyrics.

Japs make far worse english lyrics.

true enough, i imagine this is the case in all countries where english is not the native language, but the topic is about pinoy rock...btw i love the boredoms (japan) and some of their lyrics are atrocious, but thats sort of part of the charm

In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline BassCog

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2007, 05:03:01 AM »
b) Bands/artists who write well, grammatically, and are not "deep".

i have no problem with that, simple, "dumb" lyrics will always have a place in rock imo

c) Bands/artists who write grammatically flawed lyrics, and this hinders the "deep" meaning they want to convey.

eto ang medyo nakaka kilabot

d) Bands/artists who write grammatically flawed lyrics, and the meaning of their songs are on par with the low quality of their lyrical skills.

this made me lol

on b):
Agreed. Some of the legendary rock songs aren't deep at all.

on c):
It's funny when you realize that someone wants to say something important, but that something as simple as subject/verb agreement turns their lyrics into proof of the need to have good writing skills. I include here people who mangle metaphors and symbolisms.

on d):
AGH. BAH.

Offline IncX

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2007, 06:57:06 PM »

here's one of the worst metaphor ever assembled

"you make me sit, without a chair"

*lol*

and true, i find the japanese grammar cute. i watch a lot of anime and the ENGRISH in the themes  there are cute. remembe cibbo motto? hehehe

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2007, 09:41:53 AM »
i lubs cibo matto!!! :mrgreen:

"our name is stereotype with an "a" i got to get that [gooey brown stuff] straight!"
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline spongegen

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2007, 09:58:13 AM »
being an artist they kinda have this unwritten rule that they have artistic license. but yeah even US bands got some bad sentence constructions.

agreeeee! poetic license?  :roll:
napagusapan nun namen ng professor ko sa english yun. tapos yung binigay na example yung sa beatles "she's gotta ticket to ride.. but she don't care"

anyways most of the audience are not into the lyrics na compared date (sabi ng amigo ni mama ko) hehe. bago daw nila maging favorite song yung kanta eh dapat maganda yung lyrics or patok sa kanila.  eh ngayon, basta madaling sundin yung melody kahit di nila maintindihan, kahit parang kinakaen na ng artist yung mga words niya sa pagkanta, patok pa din!  :-D

kanya kanya naman style para pumatok at pagusapan hehe  :lol:
...my personality is not split... it\'s shredded.<br /><br />http://itspongegen.blogspot.com<br />http://flickr.com/photos/spongegen

Offline musikanitwist

• Veteran Member
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2007, 02:07:08 PM »

"you make me sit, without a chair"

ang cute cute tlaga ni jamir  :-P
There are some people that if they don't know, you can't tell them.
Louis Armstrong
 http://akibanda.multiply.com  MSG RJUR PATAK BY ABS COMBO to 2959

Offline Mustspit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2007, 02:08:04 PM »
^you "made" me sit, without a chair..

hindi make! :lol:
It's been 2 hours and 6 days, since you made my world a cold place, with nothing to see, and nothing to hear, i walk alone with a hope inside me, and this world refused to guide me, with nothing to feel and this wounds won't heal...

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2007, 02:22:02 PM »
^you "made" me sit, without a chair..

hindi make! :lol:

based on the context, its irrelevant; he (IncX) was talking about that phrase as a metaphor :-)

Offline Mustspit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2007, 02:33:08 PM »
wrong grammar kasi pag MAKE.. MADE yun.. itinama ko lang :) para mas happy lahat!  :-D
It's been 2 hours and 6 days, since you made my world a cold place, with nothing to see, and nothing to hear, i walk alone with a hope inside me, and this world refused to guide me, with nothing to feel and this wounds won't heal...

Offline MarkRelos

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2007, 03:49:31 PM »
Some are ok pero what I really notice in the whole pinoy rock lyrics issues is that
a lot of bands tend to use the same exactly sentence worth just say 3-4 words.
"Minamahal kita aking sinta" that kind of sentences..
or mahal na mahak kita  :roll: at marami pang iba

its been used over and over again in most pinoy songs..I know you can relate this with a lot of foreign songs pero sometimes pag first time mo marining yung song, sometimes you just know what lyrics to sing next.

my 1 and a half cent worth
At sa pag tulog ng gabi maririnig ang dasal na ang kabataan uhaw sa tunay na pag mamahal " -

Offline Dindin

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2007, 04:41:49 PM »
give me an S!

Offline sjon014

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2007, 02:56:27 AM »
Sino ba kasi yan? Hehe. I'm intrigued. :-D
Pinoydrums Lanyard - North distribution THIS SUNDAY, 2PM, TMS Alimall!
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,148425.msg1983008.html#msg1983008

Offline pyrosolaris

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2007, 12:58:51 PM »
Lam nyo napupuna ko rin ha marami dude,  Kahit saan underground o mainstream, OPM o foreign basta marami! (dkopomasabeehkayagantonalangpu)

give me an S!

Ser, ano po ba yan? Band or Singer?

Sabihin nyu na lang pu!
Rise O fallen fighters,
Rise and take your stance again,
Coz he whho fights and runs away, Live to fight another day  -Berhane Selassie (Hon. Robert Nesta Marley, O.M.) The Heathen, Bob Marley and the Wailers   BAKIT 125 LANG ANG POSTS KO??? MODS

Offline blindgin

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2007, 04:38:53 PM »
give me an S!

SLAPSH.....OTS!!!  hehehehehehehe  :-D

Offline jeyvi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2007, 05:11:28 PM »

*lol*

i can only think of VERY VERY few good lyric writers in the mainstream ... here are some:

1.) ely buendia - no need to explain. he is probably so good, that he is just messing around now.
2.) early rico blanco - in the later part he became very vague... he's a smart guy though. his metaphors probably lead to something. or maybe he is just poking fun at the listeners.
3.) bamboo - although i find his topics cheesy and im not into his style, for the sake of "good" lyrics and being objective, i can say he belongs here.
4.) kitchie nadal - hit and miss. this is my "the end?" ... but still, i can tell shes a smart girl
5.) parokya ni edgar song writers (its not just chito, right?) - not into their style, but they are a hell lot funnier than a lot of things i see and hear on pinoy tv. its not easy doing comedy with music behind you.
6.) wolfgang lyric writers (probably wolf and basti?) - good metaphors, good imagination. they make songs with REAL stories behind them. Wurm is a great album.

-*-

fill in the blanks ppl. any mainstream band not included have crappy lyrics, hehehehe

you forgot to mention Mon Legaspi of Wolfgang... he's the brains behind all wolfgang tagalog songs! great song writer!!!
check out my band KONTRA
www.kontra.ph

Offline insultedgamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2007, 08:38:13 PM »
give me an S!

SLAPSH.....OTS!!!  hehehehehehehe  :-D

Slapshock ?? (Wala ako dyan hula lang)
Please be active at Pinoy Music Fan Forums. :)

Offline BassCog

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2007, 08:55:28 PM »
"We are not the one responsible?"

Offline blindgin

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2007, 02:04:05 PM »

"We are not the ONE?!"

hahahahaha :-D

Offline BassCog

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2007, 04:23:55 PM »

"We are not the ONE?!"

hahahahaha :-D

Yes, and that was the repeating lyrical hook. AND, i watched it on Myx, so the lyrics were shown over and over again. AGH.

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2007, 07:45:43 AM »
are we talking about "wrong grammar" or value of lyrics? :roll:

+ 1

i got lost reading through the replies, first i thought it was with the grammar then several posts went on and hit the lyrics meaning....

you can't fault lyricist or the artist putting nothing or everything to the lyrics...it's their take on the music/song they made...

how about butchikik? 5 years by sugar hiccups?lyrics suck?

to each his/her own

grammar is a different thing....we pinoys speak tagalog or whatever dialect so it is our mother tongue....

Wrong analogy man... Butchikik and 5 Years are songs have obvious aural and allegorical intentions...which by the way, are subjectively felt. There are lyrics that are medyo prose-ish, which try to use coherent sentences or phrases to put a message across. In cases like this, errors in sentence construction (and all the chuva in the first post) really stands out.

it's what i am trying to point out, sa tagalog..

ang argumento kasi eh maling balarila ng wikang tagalog o ingles...tapos may mga nagrereply na ang binabanggit eh nilalaman ng liriko...

nagbigay lang ako ng halimbawa ng kanta.....5 years at butchikik....

salamat

Offline Anthria

« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2007, 05:15:29 PM »
are we talking about "wrong grammar" or value of lyrics? :roll:

+ 1

i got lost reading through the replies, first i thought it was with the grammar then several posts went on and hit the lyrics meaning....

you can't fault lyricist or the artist putting nothing or everything to the lyrics...it's their take on the music/song they made...

how about butchikik? 5 years by sugar hiccups?lyrics suck?

to each his/her own

grammar is a different thing....we pinoys speak tagalog or whatever dialect so it is our mother tongue....

Wrong analogy man... Butchikik and 5 Years are songs have obvious aural and allegorical intentions...which by the way, are subjectively felt. There are lyrics that are medyo prose-ish, which try to use coherent sentences or phrases to put a message across. In cases like this, errors in sentence construction (and all the chuva in the first post) really stands out.

it's what i am trying to point out, sa tagalog..

ang argumento kasi eh maling balarila ng wikang tagalog o ingles...tapos may mga nagrereply na ang binabanggit eh nilalaman ng liriko...

nagbigay lang ako ng halimbawa ng kanta.....5 years at butchikik....

salamat

i think...

...this is enough...

:mrgreen:
Custom Band Website (HTML, Flash, Wordpress, Joomla, etc.)
Txt: 0916-7440600
"It's only rock'n'roll. It just so happens that we write most of it." - John Lennon