hulika

Author Topic: "STRATWARS"  (Read 11035 times)

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Re: "STRATWARS"
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2007, 01:02:24 PM »
We were able to make a Burny Les Paul sound like a strat, complete with "quack". Just PM microchimp to confirm :D . You could also ask Bluebuddha and Dopedeeva how one of the Blue Rat's Epiphone Gold Top LP's got its character transformed :D

But why would you want to make a Les Paul sound like a Strat?

Yup. "Want" is another matter altogether. We removed the scalarizer almost immediately.

Oh I don't know. If you like the heft and feel of a Les Paul but want the sound of a strat ? Best of both worlds ? I dunno.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2007, 01:04:58 PM »
clean or dirty?  Can I hear it?  Link?

clean and Dirty  upload ko sa sound click na thread... baka bukas.

Roel, yan ba yung scalarized 62 RI Strat mo with Texas specials ?

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2007, 01:34:48 PM »
We were able to make a Burny Les Paul sound like a strat, complete with "quack". Just PM microchimp to confirm :D . You could also ask Bluebuddha and Dopedeeva how one of the Blue Rat's Epiphone Gold Top LP's got its character transformed :D

Yup. "Want" is another matter altogether. We removed the scalarizer almost immediately.

Oh I don't know. If you like the heft and feel of a Les Paul but want the sound of a strat ? Best of both worlds ? I dunno.
so the LP wasn't stock then...you had to mod it out to make it sound like a strat....or another way would to add effects to get that strat sound. I was thinking ..... just the guitar plug to the amp.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2007, 03:32:28 PM »
We are talking of stock guitars here hindi po modified... Love your Bakemono Pare!
...... LP cannot duplicate a strat sound
...... strat cannot duplicate a LP sound.

We were able to make a Burny Les Paul sound like a strat, complete with "quack". Just PM microchimp to confirm :D . Papa Joric, you should know that Burny Les Paul. It used to be yours :D .

You could also ask Bluebuddha and Dopedeeva how one of the Blue Rat's Epiphone Gold Top LP's got its character transformed :D

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2007, 05:22:14 PM »
Sabi ng iba mas maganda daw ang sound ng les paul kesa strat... ang tingin daw nila sa single coil inferior kesa humbucker...
kyo ano sa tingin nyo...

You need a life.  :-D

Offline r0nd0gg

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2007, 06:46:40 PM »
eehhhhh... dba... may mga nguitarist na gumagamit ng ibaibang guitara kumporme sa tunog na gusto nila... hmmmmmp

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2007, 07:04:32 PM »

so the LP wasn't stock then...you had to mod it out to make it sound like a strat....or another way would to add effects to get that strat sound. I was thinking ..... just the guitar plug to the amp.

uhh well yeah. But since the scalarizers are installed inside the guitar, it's still a "guitar jack to amp" thing. :D

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2007, 07:07:17 PM »
We are talking of stock guitars here hindi po modified... Love your Bakemono Pare!

We were able to make a Burny Les Paul sound like a strat, complete with "quack". Just PM microchimp to confirm :D . Papa Joric, you should know that Burny Les Paul. It used to be yours :D .

You could also ask Bluebuddha and Dopedeeva how one of the Blue Rat's Epiphone Gold Top LP's got its character transformed :D

"Cannot" kasi is kinda too strong a word. I was thinking in terms of "Can be made to".

Offline acousticky14

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2007, 07:34:40 PM »
i like both guitars..  :|

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2007, 08:56:19 PM »
i really dont get the logic of this. les pauls are better? strats are better? why dont you just buy both?

i used to think single coils were inferior before. baguhan ako nun. now comparing how humbukcers and singles could get what i want but be worlds apart, i decided to get 2 guitars with humbuckers and single coils respectively. now do the same.

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2007, 11:11:08 PM »
d nga?

mas attached ako sa strats talaga....pero d ko lalaitin ang naka les paul.

the only reason why i would never buy a les paul is because i can't afford it.
dude ...hard to believe when you have a PRS in your arsenal.

i had bought that out of compulsion, and it was being sold to me at a good price. soon thoughi traded that pRS for a strat, the one i brought to the last EB phil.

again it was a matter of preference, not because i disliked dual hb type guitars....i just like the strats more.

the only regret i have about that PRS is that i never used it at a gig.
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2007, 11:14:21 PM »
d nga?

mas attached ako sa strats talaga....pero d ko lalaitin ang naka les paul.

Pag nilait mo ang naka Les Paul, hindi ka na iaangkas ni Dan. :lol:

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2007, 11:22:53 PM »
of course not....gusto mo bang hamapasan ako ng les paul sa ulo ni dan, bart?

:-D
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline schnitzerz4

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2007, 02:16:07 AM »
ako strat din =) kasi di bagay sa akin les paul ang taba ko kasi eh hehehhee

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2007, 03:04:53 PM »
Phil eto gumawa ako ng soundclips for you one dirty and one clean...

http://www.soundclick.com/updateband/songInfo.cfm?bandID=717148&updated=5515867&name

check out blue boss hop and rock sound clip

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2007, 03:11:16 PM »

http://www.soundclick.com/updateband/songInfo.cfm?bandID=717148&updated=5515867&name

link doesn't work...made me log out of my soundclick account.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2007, 03:33:02 PM »

When did you guys mod it? At the gig last Fri sa Maru bar, it sounded like a PHAT Les Paul.  In fact, it was fatter than I remembered it. The stock Burny was clearer and brighter than many others I've tried. I always thought the stock VH1 vintage style pus accounted for its distinct tone.  Here it is in action:

Fast forward to solo at 1:45... and at 3:30. 

... and here also... from 1:40... and 2:24... 3:48...

It sorta bites and quacks... is this close to what you heard? 
*Shet... that was nice... Bakit ko nga ba binenta yung Burny ko?*

But comparing tone is very subjective if everything else (aside from the guitar and scalarizer on/off) isn't equal.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 03:37:45 PM by deltaslim »

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2007, 03:38:39 PM »

Yeah, same for me. 

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2007, 12:12:16 AM »

Yeah, same for me. 

bro OK naman ah chineck ko ngayun lang try nyo nalang ulit...
pasensya na kyo for the crudity of these sound clips had to do them all before I went to work kanina kya one take one take lang...

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2007, 11:16:47 AM »
I had to use the other link in the other thread.....
and I checked your clips.

IMHO .....the rhythm can pass as any HB equipped gutiar like a LP perhaps...the lead parts some parts like especially when you go to the higher strings it's a bit thinner than what an LP sounds like...BUT to an average person who is not so meticulous ...it would pass as an LP..... really good job , dude. Care to share your setup?

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2007, 11:27:04 AM »
go here instead: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=717148

i used your band id number to access your page.. sorry kung intrusive, pero ginawa mo naman din sir public yung soundclick niyo.. just trying to help :) as for me, i now have to listen to the clips :)

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2007, 11:35:34 AM »
i echo what sir phil said. ang galing! pero pano mo to ginawa?? hehe. stock strat lang to sir? ano setup?  :-o

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2007, 03:10:49 PM »
just stock stratocaster with texas special pups. for the clean sound on blue boss hop I just tapered down the tone knob on the neck pup then plugged directly to my silverface pro reverb amp with the treble and bass on 5 and the volume on 3 1/2. for the dirty sounds on the rock sound clip I used the bridge pup with the tone pot at full bore then into a boss DS-1 bakemono then into my Carvin XV212 amp...

Offline jazhombie

• Board Moderator
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2007, 03:22:22 PM »
strat rules! :-D

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2007, 03:24:35 PM »
Sabi ng iba mas maganda daw ang sound ng les paul kesa strat... ang tingin daw nila sa single coil inferior kesa humbucker...
kyo ano sa tingin nyo...

back to your main question:

its a matter of application, bro, however, there are no strict lines that dictate where one can be used for what. les pauls, to my ears, sound too smooth, but i do find great musical application for it. And for my jazz wanking, i only use a strat, wherein most folks prefer the smoothness of a hb equipped axe.

besides, there are bigger factors that make a strat a strat, and an lp sound like an lp, such as body wood, the neck's scale length, etc...

tell your friends that there is no way a single coil can be inferior to a humbucker, as demonstrated, a sc can get a close to a decent hb sound. that would be like comparing ducks to dogs... (can your dog quack? my duck can bark...)

be proud to wield your leo fender creation  :-) we can love all guitars equally, yet, differently  :-D
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn