hulika

Author Topic: Review Po  (Read 6520 times)

Offline bananagrahamskyflakes

• Veteran Member
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 08:43:47 PM by bananagrahamskyflakes »

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Review Po
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 03:24:43 PM »
use your zoom g2.1u as your soundcard...it has ASIO...don't use your built in soundcard...do you use speakers or headphones?...there are adaptors for your zoom output if you use monitor speakers...output for your zoom is stereo...

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 07:42:18 AM »
re send it back:

additional equipment would help big time.  the hiss in the background is too distracting.  maybe you could try noise reduction.

but let's say the acquisiton of additional equipment is out of the question.  i think you can imporve the vocal sound by cutting some low frequencies, or perhaps singing a little farther from the mic to reduce proximity effect.  the guitar sounds ok :)  you might try doubling the parts, using different presets, then panning the parts hard left and hard right just to get that stereo effect.  your music reminds me of blur, which is a lucky thing because brit rock usually use drum sounds that are more natural and roomy.  this shouldn't be very difficult to get with minimum equipment. 

also when the music changes in amplitude (or gets louder) you have to automate the vocals, raise it and bring it down appropriately so that the listener does not strain to hear what youre trying to say. 

your song is quite nice actually.  you have to bear in mind that live arrangements usually differ from recording arrangements.  when you arrange a song for recording, you have to consider panning, tone (EQ), etc.  try listening to commercially released albums (blur for example)to get an idea of how recording arrangement is employed.  you can really exploit the left and right channels to your advantage as your song have overlapping guitar parts moving from one portion to the next.  the element of surprise is a nice thing to use in a song ;)

good luck and congratulations on your first try.   :)
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 07:48:17 AM »
same goes for every minute.  :-D

hey congrats!!! nice songs! theyre very pop acutally, i can almost hear mandy moore or some female vocalist sing every minute ... or ricky martin. LOL.  really really nice!   :mrgreen:  ahaha! the spoken word part is great!  wow, ang ganda ng kantang 'to pag narecord ng maayos :)  i can almost hear it in hi-fi :)

congrats dude, ang galing mo!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 07:50:13 AM by starfugger »
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 11:14:37 PM »
Skin salamat po.

Starfugger

Salamat po. Natutuwa po ako at may ibang natutuwa sa kanta ko bukod sa misis ko. hehehe. Sa iilan ko lang kasi ito pinaririnig dahil di pa ako ganun ka-confident sa pagsusulat ko. Very encouraging po ang inyong comments.

Follow up (stupid)questions po kung inyong mamarapatin:

- doubling the parts - anu po ito. parang i-clone ko guitar track tapos ibahin effects(copy paste sa new track?)? or gawa ako bago take(parang dalawang rhythm?)

- ano yung presets

- pano i-automate yung vocals - madalas ko tong naririnig, i know it has something to do with either the levels or panning. panu po ito gawin sa adobe audition.

Salamat in advance.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 03:14:24 AM »
Skin salamat po.

Starfugger

Salamat po. Natutuwa po ako at may ibang natutuwa sa kanta ko bukod sa misis ko. hehehe. Sa iilan ko lang kasi ito pinaririnig dahil di pa ako ganun ka-confident sa pagsusulat ko. Very encouraging po ang inyong comments.

Follow up (stupid)questions po kung inyong mamarapatin:

- doubling the parts - anu po ito. parang i-clone ko guitar track tapos ibahin effects(copy paste sa new track?)? or gawa ako bago take(parang dalawang rhythm?)

- ano yung presets

- pano i-automate yung vocals - madalas ko tong naririnig, i know it has something to do with either the levels or panning. panu po ito gawin sa adobe audition.

Salamat in advance.

doubling the parts do not mean copying the track (well at least thats not what i meant), but performing the rhythm tracks a second time using a different guitar/amp/distortion.  then pan those two performances hard left and hard right :)

i dont know how automation is done on audition but this is how i do it and i believe it can also be done in audition easily:

i usually just cut portions on vocal tracks and manually raise the volume of each portion accordingly.  if you have a buss compressor on the vocals then this will also change the way your buss compressor reacts at certain portions because you are bascially changing the amplitude of the source signal.  so far it is not an issue to me.  sometimes i would ride the buss fader and record that movement on cubase if i wanted to retain the way the effects react to the automated portions.  i usually do not COMPLETELY rely on a compressor to tame the peaks of my vocal tracks because some parts get too squished (or some are too relaxed) when there is but one compressor setting for the whole song.. it is often nicer to ride the fader whilst the compressor does its magic :)

ah yung preset, i meant yung preset sa zoom mo.  hehe.

youre a very talented song writer.  every minute really got me because of its high energy.  walang boring moment.  even when you tame down (which is the spoken word part) something exciting is still happening.  the way the spoken word stops completely in sync with the music is killer! :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 11:27:42 PM by starfugger »

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 09:59:01 PM »
pare ko.. kool compositions.. u just need better recording equipments..malayo ang mararating mo.. 8-)
Music is art in sound...

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 10:11:24 PM »
Feeling sa piling..palitan mo na lang ng cajon yung percussion na tunog at irecord ulit lilipad na ito.. i am willing to give you free mastering sa song na ito.. reminds me of America, hhhmmm muskrat love... 8-). saka na yung comments sa ibang song..antok na ako hehehe.
Music is art in sound...

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 07:25:31 AM »
BALDO

Salamat sa comments. Natutuwa ako't natutuwa ka sa kanta.

Follow up question ulit. Ano yung mastering? Pareho ba to sa mixing?

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 07:36:47 AM »
hehe.  nakooow.  :-D

eto lang opinyon ko, pero hindi ko sinasabing tama ito.  ang mastering ay pagpapaganda at/o pagpapalakas ng 2-channel mixdown track.  ibig sabihin, ang mastering engineer madalas tinatrabaho ang kantang namix na. limitado ang kaya nilang gawin dahil nga sa MIXED na yung tracks na dumadating sakanila. pero mga magikero din sila kasi naman madalas  malaki pa ang iginaganda ng kanta matapos i-master. 

isa pa, ang mastering ay madalas gawin sa isang buong album o EP.  madalas hindi ito ginagawa sa paisa-isang kanta lang.  usually pinapatunog ng mastering engineer na coherent ang isang album, yung hindi masyadong iba-iba ang tunog ng bawat kanta na para bang nirecord sa iba't ibang lugar (kahit na maraming beses inirerecord talaga ang iba't ibang kanta sa isang album sa iba't ibang lugar).  pinagpapantay pantay din nya yung lakas ng mga kanta para hindi naman nakakagulat o nakakainis pag dating sa susunod na kanta.  madalas sya din ang pumipili ng "order" ng mga kanta sa album.

im sure madami pang ibang trabaho ang mastering engineer bukod sa mga nabanggit ko.  mga trabahong teknikal tulad ng pag iinsert ng mga code sa tracks pero di ko na alam yon. hehe. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 07:40:08 AM by starfugger »

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 09:36:42 AM »
nakana mo starfugger.. dagdag ko lang..nag aalis din ng INGAY yung mastering engr ehem..  para maging COMMERCIAL yung tunog at RADIO READY..  8-)
Music is art in sound...

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 02:46:02 PM »
Araw-araw may bago akong natututunan.

Salamat pow BALDo at starfugger.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 03:11:07 PM »
nakana mo starfugger.. dagdag ko lang..nag aalis din ng INGAY yung mastering engr ehem..  para maging COMMERCIAL yung tunog at RADIO READY..  8-)

With hands tied by a label exec, eto ginagawa ng mastering engineer sa waveform ng mix mo:

Isa rin sa ginagawa ng mastering engineer ay maglagay ng mga fades or volume envelopes sa mga signal.  Minsan reverb din dinadagdag.

Offline compvr

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 08:58:47 PM »
isa pa lang narinig ko sir yung send it back, nice song! very geeky :evil: 
may ibang part ka boses mo si pepe ng weedisneys/bloomfields.

Arguing with a fool proves there are two.                   Doris M. Smith

------------------------ supervoodoo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 11:56:37 AM »
Salamat Skunk.

Salamat Compvr. Pasensya na sa boses hehe. Alin yung geeky, yung kanta o yung boses?

Starfugger - may inup po ako bago. Red Guitar. Di pa po tapos. Bale Boses, Guitara, ska lead. Medyo ok na po ba timpla? Sinunod ko yung payo mo. Yung gitara ba kelangan sagad na sagad sa isang side lang (tipong di naririrnig sa kabilang earphone)? Salamat muli.

BALDo - seryoso kayo sir, magmamaster kayo ng libre?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 12:01:52 PM by bananagrahamskyflakes »

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 02:22:14 PM »
oo pero kailangan maganda yung pagkaka mix... or else.. puwede ko bang tanggihan ang work kapag hindi ko gusto kanta? hehehe.. but i will do it... basta ba irerekomenda mo ako sa iba eh.. 8-)
Music is art in sound...

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 11:59:25 AM »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 01:03:23 AM by bananagrahamskyflakes »

Offline polar

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 03:42:45 PM »
Araw-araw may bago akong natututunan.
ako din natuto... Could we have a thread where anybody can post the songs that they mixed, tpos i-critic, assesed or be evaluated by some of the guys here who has "trained ears", para maiprove yung mix? Or baka meron na pong ganitong thread?
"The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is.”  - C S L

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 09:51:47 PM »
ako din natuto... Could we have a thread where anybody can post the songs that they mixed, tpos i-critic, assesed or be evaluated by some of the guys here who has "trained ears", para maiprove yung mix? Or baka meron na pong ganitong thread?

Last time we did, it was the critics who were criticised.

Anyway, feel free to post, if need be in this thread. If this thread gets popular enough, I can always make it a sticky.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 08:26:15 PM »
oo pero kailangan maganda yung pagkaka mix... or else.. puwede ko bang tanggihan ang work kapag hindi ko gusto kanta? hehehe.. but i will do it... basta ba irerekomenda mo ako sa iba eh.. 8-)

Paging sir BALDO. hehhe. Ito na po. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandIDD=764618

sana po may magustuhan kayo.

cross your fingers - peeves heheheh
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 01:04:03 AM by bananagrahamskyflakes »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 08:50:49 PM »
@bananagrahamskyflakes - our illustrious BALDO is here in Manila attending to his ailing father but will have to return stateside by the 30th of this month. We have a standing appointment to do some mixing over at P.I.M.P. tomorrow. If you have time, maybe you can drop by.

I listened to your songs and it might most likely be the soundclick format; there was a lack of airiness. If we could hear the mixed down wavs, we can tell you where and what to fix, if ever. And one more thing, don't point the mic at the picking hand on the acoustic, position it somewhere between the soundhole and neck for starters, then find the sweetspot.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 09:58:06 PM by KitC »
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 09:05:56 PM »
Ay cge po. what time po?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 10:08:44 PM »
Most likely late afternoon.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 10:23:47 PM »
sino kumakanta? is this you???  wow, great voice, and you really can express a song nicely.  nice recording too, not bad at all!  the vocals gets a little dark when the band comes in but still listenable.  kaso the rest of the song won't load :(   ganda as usual!  sama ako sa fan club mo.  :-D

listened to songs 2 and 3.  great job!  pag nawalan kayo ng drummer sali ako sa banda mo ha.  haha, joke lang.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2007, 11:40:40 PM »
Last time we did, it was the critics who were criticised.

yeah - its sad when a lot of the folks who do great work here mean well but politics dampens the spirits of those who wish to move the Pinoy music scene forward.

review:
Delusion - great songwriting, the song reminds me of a cross between Weezer and American HiFi. the recording process could use more work to really bring out the riffs in the songs which, I think, is the main driving force of the song.

Send it Back - from the start of the song, the guitars sound good but the vocals are a bit too flat. I would add a bit of reverb to give it a bit more dimension. Ditto for the backing vocals. the drums sound really distant as if they were recorded with just overheads or something. I am a stickler to getting good drum sounds so I would record the drums to get a stronger, clearer foundation to your song - get that snare and those cymbals recorded well so it has a good rock vibe that your vocals can sit nicely with in the mix.

Quitting you - i like the nice vocals and the nice filtered acoustic sound at the start which gives it an old school, through an AM radio feel. however, i think the track would be much more powerful if you used the AM radio effect at the start of the effect and then transitioned to a main acoustic sound which is a tad brighter, maybe add a 12 string acoustic playing an arpeggio of the chord progression at 3:12? i still have the same problem with the drums in this song otherwise, the track has a great potential for radio play after some improvements in the production aspect.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 11:58:20 PM by abyssinianson »
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!