hulika

Author Topic: Audio Post-Production  (Read 7247 times)

Offline GerardSalonga

Audio Post-Production
« on: July 04, 2007, 06:53:50 AM »
I haven't read all the threads, but it looks like a lot of discussions are about recording tech as it applies to music.  Are there any people here who are flat-out nuts about audio post?  ADR, SFX, foley, the works.  I mean NUTS about it.  Is the ultimate platform Pro Tools? Nuendo? Pyramix?  Sound library or custom sounds?  Let's talk post.  :-D
less is more
www.musikanatin.com
ASUS P5B Deluxe, Win XP Pro SP2/3GB switch, 4G RAM, 160 system, 250 x2, 160 Glyph, 60 GLyph, Cubase 4, Kontakt 2, GS3, all the Spectra stuff, EWQLSO, VSL, GOS, SAM, and lots more

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Audio Post-Production
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 07:14:22 AM »
Mr. Gerard Salonga  :-)

i usually deal with bands, but there was a time i wanted to venture into sound design.  i read an article in EQ mag about this guy making sound effects for a coke commercial, with nothing more than a mic and a bunch of hyperprism plug-ins.   he had to communicate the rush of a heavy object falling from several stories high.  what he did was mic his air conditioner, reverse the sound, maybe add a phaser effect here and there and voila.  it sounded like a lot of fun ... but then i don't have video capabilities as of yet. hehe. 
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 07:24:19 AM »
well, i used to do so much more sound editing than i do now, but all of it was to create uniques patches for my synths (which i guess, isn't really the point of this thread, haha). and back then, as far as i was concerned, the best sound design tool was my k2000 (kurzweil).

gerard, how about kyma? bt uses it...

as far as the advertising world is concerned, i don't think anybody would argue that pro tools is the standard if not the best. in the film world, well, i practically have zero information. i know some friends who use pro tools, but that could be because their facilities weren't put up with the primary purpose of doing posting for film. come to think of it, i'm not really sure if there are studios here in the phils. that doesn't aim to practically "do everything"... :-D

============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline GerardSalonga

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 08:10:31 AM »

Kyma?  Nima ngi Kyma yung RnB ninger?  hehehehe

BT...musician pa rin yun.  I'd like to see the real post production-geared sound design people come out of the woodwork.  I understand that there isn't really a thriving industry here, or a real career in PURE post....but hey that may change, right?  :wink:

Starfugger, that's interesting about the Coke commercial!  Why no video yet?  What software do you use?
less is more
www.musikanatin.com
ASUS P5B Deluxe, Win XP Pro SP2/3GB switch, 4G RAM, 160 system, 250 x2, 160 Glyph, 60 GLyph, Cubase 4, Kontakt 2, GS3, all the Spectra stuff, EWQLSO, VSL, GOS, SAM, and lots more

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 08:36:08 AM »
yes, hazel. that's him, alright...

actually, bt uses kyma for a lot of his textural work (which are neither rhythmic or harmonic), also for the films he worked on, such as "fast and the furious" (the very first one, i think).

hazel (starfugger) uses cubase sx 2 or 3, i think.

kyma (kee-ma? not the rnb singer, the one who works in the 5th floor, haha) is by symbolicsound. and i think it's really geared towards serious sound design. i think bt turned to it when reaktor and/or opcode max just wouldn't cut it anymore. ...and to think i haven't even begun any serious tweaking with reaktor...

just like pro tools, it's powered by it's own hardware, although the interface is still controlled via a mac os or windows application. the interface (at least to me) resembles that of reaktor.

come to think of it, if you get the chance to listen to some of bt's work or even his sound libraries (both of which we have, haha), i think it's rather easy to imagine how the power of the tools he uses for his sound design could very well work in a flim post-prod setting.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 08:41:21 AM by marvinq »
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 08:38:53 AM »

Kyma?  Nima ngi Kyma yung RnB ninger?  hehehehe

BT...musician pa rin yun.  I'd like to see the real post production-geared sound design people come out of the woodwork.  I understand that there isn't really a thriving industry here, or a real career in PURE post....but hey that may change, right?  :wink:

Starfugger, that's interesting about the Coke commercial!  Why no video yet?  What software do you use?

haha.  ok that was my first loud laugh of the day.  

mr gerard, im on cubase.  i think i can sync video on cubase but they usually say nuendo is it for video.  i don't know the difference really. i havent explored it.  i think i might need additional equipment for video, probably a decent video interface right?  

lately i have been paying too much attention to sound effects in movies, thinking some are downright silly.  but maybe that's because i tend to watch some films again and again so i notice.  maybe some effects are really exaggerated for first time viewers.  

another nice thing to get into would be film scoring. my partner who is a graduating medical student swears she will  ditch medicine for film scoring once she's out of med school.  haha ... all those years ...

me, if i were to get into film, i think id enjoy cutting movie trailers very much. that would be an exciting challenge :)
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline GerardSalonga

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 08:42:43 AM »
ah I see.  Sa bagay, Steve Tushar uses a lot of synths in his sound design work.  Hmmmm
less is more
www.musikanatin.com

Offline GerardSalonga

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 08:52:26 AM »

mr gerard, im on cubase.  i think i can sync video on cubase but they usually say nuendo is it for video.  i don't know the difference really. i havent explored it.  i think i might need additional equipment for video, probably a decent video interface right? 

[/quote]

You can sync to video right in your machine.  Nuendo has additional features for post production, but Cubase is intended for film scoring as well.  Marvin's on SX2 and he uses it well for scoring to video.  Video interfaces are for capturing or playing back video on a TV...which is what I used to do via firewire in Logic.....now Cubase on PC doesn't support it....grrr....Matrox Parhelia APVe nasaan ka na???  Sorry...OT na yun.

As for your partner....malay niya....all those years in med school may have just made her hunger grow, in which case it wouldn't have been a waste.  Doctors are troubleshooters, which is a great skill to have in this day of DAWs and finicky clients.
less is more
www.musikanatin.com

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 10:18:37 AM »

mr gerard, im on cubase.  i think i can sync video on cubase but they usually say nuendo is it for video.  === hmmm i think i have to spend more time
learning the VIDEO features on Nuendo.  :oops:. i just need that MOTU Timepiece AV kitC was recommending..pero after that..I NEED TALENT to do that AV thingie..sana umulan ng TALENT at makasagap man lang kahit kaunti.. :-D
ps..teka nasaan ba si ano.. yung mamang me magandang SUV..papaturo ako ng REASON pandagdag na rin yun sa kaalaman hehehe..

Music is art in sound...

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 10:22:04 AM »
Sorry pareng Bindoy..nakalimutan ko nick mo..nasa work kasi.. under stress kasi hehehe.. one one thousand, two one thousand , three one thousand hehehehe.. everybody clear the bed .. :-D
Music is art in sound...

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 10:38:50 AM »
hmmm....  sound design?  for my tv work, i just use an atr55, which is a cheap battery powered shotgun condenser,  attached to my dv cam if i do some field recording.  works good enough for tv.  i'm just using wavelab lite for processing.  daming free plug-ins naman off the net, some even crazy enough for a literally destructive edit.  then cubase vst to lay it in to video.

sometimes the CGI needs some custom sound effect which music libraries can't enhance.  so finding the perfect sound effect requires some good old recording.

another nice thing to get into would be film scoring. my partner who is a graduating medical student swears she will  ditch medicine for film scoring once she's out of med school.  haha ... all those years ...

hazel, i actually took up a year each of medicine and law at the UP before i finally decided that i wanna compose music for film/video.  guess it's never too late...

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 10:54:39 AM »
hmmm....  sound design?  for my tv work, i just use an atr55, which is a cheap battery powered shotgun condenser,  attached to my dv cam if i do some field recording.  works good enough for tv.  i'm just using wavelab lite for processing.  daming free plug-ins naman off the net, some even crazy enough for a literally destructive edit.  then cubase vst to lay it in to video.

sometimes the CGI needs some custom sound effect which music libraries can't enhance.  so finding the perfect sound effect requires some good old recording.

another nice thing to get into would be film scoring. my partner who is a graduating medical student swears she will  ditch medicine for film scoring once she's out of med school.  haha ... all those years ...

hazel, i actually took up a year each of medicine and law at the UP before i finally decided that i wanna compose music for film/video.  guess it's never too late...

hey you know youre right :) there are lots of free effects out there that are truly excellent like the A0 Parametric EQ and some weird stuff like the KT Grannulator which might be great for horror films, LOL. 

OT: cool, so you went to up-pgh too. my partner is an intern there.  :)  she says if she knew this wonderful world of music technology existed and was within reach she would never have gotten into med school in the first place, LOL.  i think this is because graduating highschool students are hardly ever introduced to this exciting career.  it's always lawyers and doctors who speak at career orientations.  :-D  sobrang diverse ng audio production diba?  ang daming options!

« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 10:57:55 AM by starfugger »

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 11:24:37 AM »
  i think this is because graduating highschool students are hardly ever introduced to this exciting career.  it's always lawyers and doctors who speak at career orientations.  :-D  sobrang diverse ng audio production diba?  ang daming options!

OT:  exactly!  and i simply tried out the entrance exams just to find out if i'll pass.  maybe i just wanted to find out what i was missin.  haha.  law school was a bitch though.  it actually taught me to be cocky.  iskolar ng bayan!  at least i found out that i prefer usin the right side of my brain.  haha.

hey you know youre right :) there are lots of free effects out there that are truly excellent like the A0 Parametric EQ and some weird stuff like the KT Grannulator which might be great for horror films, LOL. 

yup, lotsa helpful people on the net, givin us all those freebies.   just takes a lot of time just to browse thru it - find plug-ins that i find useful and don't crash my sequencer.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 12:13:31 PM »
yes, hazel. that's him, alright...

actually, bt uses kyma for a lot of his textural work (which are neither rhythmic or harmonic), also for the films he worked on, such as "fast and the furious" (the very first one, i think).

hazel (starfugger) uses cubase sx 2 or 3, i think.

kyma (kee-ma? not the rnb singer, the one who works in the 5th floor, haha) is by symbolicsound. and i think it's really geared towards serious sound design. i think bt turned to it when reaktor and/or opcode max just wouldn't cut it anymore. ...and to think i haven't even begun any serious tweaking with reaktor...

just like pro tools, it's powered by it's own hardware, although the interface is still controlled via a mac os or windows application. the interface (at least to me) resembles that of reaktor.

come to think of it, if you get the chance to listen to some of bt's work or even his sound libraries (both of which we have, haha), i think it's rather easy to imagine how the power of the tools he uses for his sound design could very well work in a flim post-prod setting.

ah...people are familiar with Kyma here:) THAT is one sick unit. I've used one before and the unit was designed to sit well with scoring work and not so much regular record music....unless you are BT who does a ton or granular synthesis and modulation work on dance music.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 04:29:13 PM »
I haven't read all the threads, but it looks like a lot of discussions are about recording tech as it applies to music.  Are there any people here who are flat-out nuts about audio post?  ADR, SFX, foley, the works.  I mean NUTS about it.  Is the ultimate platform Pro Tools? Nuendo? Pyramix?  Sound library or custom sounds?  Let's talk post.  :-D

ADR - Automatic Dialog Replacement
SFX - Sound Effects
Foley - kind of related to sound design - using different tools in the studio for film to give realism...  asynchronous and synchronous sounds...

I taught these in college but I believe we need more DEDICATED studios for these.  We need a lot of pits and a bunch of crazy stuff in a bodega. 

Pero here are some things that I found out:

- a miked up electric fan can sound like a storm...
- static can work well as rain
- airconditioning can sound like wind
- a car, when recorded, doesn't sound much like a car when accelerating.  VROOOOOOMMMMM calls for a motor, not a car.
- gun shots are supposed not to sound alike. If you use a .45, it should not sound the same as a .38.  And also where the bullet hits... the sounds should be different.
- the dinosaur voices in Jurassic park are actually a combination of different animal voices

Ang dami pa pero sa Pinas di gaanong uso ang sound design kasi may classic sound effects bank.  :-D  Yung mga suntok pare-pareho tunog.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 04:35:29 PM »
yung mga suntok na parang tunog ng electronic snare!  haha.  bshk!

minsan diba mas brutal kung walang tunog at walang music sa violent scenes?  silence lang and natural sounds.  kakatakot. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 04:37:25 PM by starfugger »

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »

eto na ang suntok na parang tunog ng electronic snare!!!

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 05:03:05 PM »

Kulang na lang si Batman and mga KAPOW captions!

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2007, 06:10:58 PM »

me, if i were to get into film, i think id enjoy cutting movie trailers very much. that would be an exciting challenge :)

i dunno if i'd ditch medicine for a strictly music profession...i need music, sure, but since it doesn't offer the same level of cerebral stimulation. i can't see myself ditching the white coat and stethoscope for a coffee mug, pajamas and a comfy pair of sheep skin lined clogs for studio work:) i am alright doin the part time music-man thing.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2007, 11:33:32 PM »

Reminds me of a story that circulated around studios a few years back. 

Without mentioning anyone in particular, everyone knows his action flicks na talaga namang dinudumog ng mga tao. The guy was surely popular.  Mismo, ang SFX ng mga suntok niya, iisa (famous for that rapid fire suntok sa katawan na iisa ang tunog).

In his last film, post production was assigned to one of the country's top notch production houses.  In an honest effort to please the action star and to show off the capabilities of the production house - talagang nagtodo SFX sila complete with foleys which was later mastered to Dolby Digital Stereo. Each gunshot was different according to its calibre, each punch different so you could differentiate between an uppercut, a jab, and a straight to the bread basket.

Lo and behold, when the action star (who also produced the film) saw and HEARD the full sound realism, he immediately demanded that they do the sound all over again, making sure to put back his trademark rapid fire na suntok SFX na iisa ang tunog, otherwise the production house won't be paid a centavo.

:-D

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 05:39:57 AM »

Without mentioning anyone in particular, everyone knows his action flicks na talaga namang dinudumog ng mga tao. The guy was surely popular.  Mismo, ang SFX ng mga suntok niya, iisa (famous for that rapid fire suntok sa katawan na iisa ang tunog).

In his last film, post production was assigned to one of the country's top notch production houses.  In an honest effort to please the action star and to show off the capabilities of the production house - talagang nagtodo SFX sila complete with foleys which was later mastered to Dolby Digital Stereo. Each gunshot was different according to its calibre, each punch different so you could differentiate between an uppercut, a jab, and a straight to the bread basket.

Lo and behold, when the action star (who also produced the film) saw and HEARD the full sound realism, he immediately demanded that they do the sound all over again, making sure to put back his trademark rapid fire na suntok SFX na iisa ang tunog, otherwise the production house won't be paid a centavo.

:lol:

try to move forward and someone will surely push you back.  pag centavo na ang usapan e di ibalik na ang rapid fire suntok. bshbshbshbshk!   :-D

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 07:58:10 AM »

:lol:

try to move forward and someone will surely push you back.  pag centavo na ang usapan e di ibalik na ang rapid fire suntok. bshbshbshbshk!   :-D

a case of 'don't fix it if it ain't broke'...  at least accdg to the action star.

OT: how many light years are our local movies "behind" in terms of sound technology ba?  i'm referring to the popular action and jologs movies -- yung pang masa.  i'm just intrigued.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2007, 10:35:48 AM »

Teka, eto ba yung dapat nanalo nung election?

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2007, 11:34:20 AM »

OT: how many light years are our local movies "behind" in terms of sound technology ba?  i'm referring to the popular action and jologs movies -- yung pang masa.  i'm just intrigued.

i think the best guy to answer this query is master mikep. Coz AFAIK they have been training people from big Network Company and FILM

As I have recently chatted to an old friend who works with Road Runner.... He said we may have the equipments for Audio Post but we are lacking of people who are capable enough to do this kind of stuffs.

good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2007, 12:27:05 PM »

If I may also add, Jepoy, the skewed rates for the use of these equipment and facilities are also affecting the industry.  As early as 1996, a top post prod company was proudly presenting a top of the line post prod gizmo (it was lovingly called a man's nickname). It was supposed to bring the movie industry several notches up, making it comparable to top Hollywood film quality.  Unfortunately, they were charging an arm and a led for the use of this facilty PER SECOND of film output. 

No one used this facility.  It still stands there as a huge pink elephant.  If the use of these gadgets are way beyond the budgets of a struggling third world industry, forget it.