hulika

Author Topic: What are the advantage of using a Gretsch Guitar?  (Read 6308 times)

Offline narcosis

What are the advantage of using a Gretsch Guitar?
« on: March 02, 2005, 10:26:51 AM »
Hi there mostly i see rock guitar players using fenders, les pauls and ibanez guitars, but im intrigued on GRETSCH guitars since Brian Setzer and The Edge uses them..

Meron bang local distributor of Gresch Guitars sa Pinas? and I bet super mahal siguro..

Meron din bang imitation versions and humahawig din ba sa orig yung sound? That is when it comes to tight budget.. :)

Thanks
Fun Is Fun, Done Is Done

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 11:06:18 AM »
there is no advantage players you mentioned just want a different flavor but in the case of setzer its his sound 8)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline Godin

• Board Moderator
sa Perfect Pitch
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 11:18:25 AM »
sa perfect pitch dati meron sila.. yung model na kahawig na ginamit ni chris cornell.

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: What are the advantage of using a Gretsch Guitar?
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 01:02:08 PM »
Quote from: narcosis
Hi there mostly i see rock guitar players using fenders, les pauls and ibanez guitars, but im intrigued on GRETSCH guitars since Brian Setzer and The Edge uses them..

These used to be distributed by Yupangco but I think they dropped them like they dropped Gibson/Epiphone.

Offline narcosis

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 01:12:17 PM »
Gee, i bet super mahal talaga
Fun Is Fun, Done Is Done

Offline candyapplered

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 01:26:19 PM »
the weight alone of most gretsch guitars scares most players. yung mga silver jet/duo jet series nila mukhang mga les paul, but sound more like teles.

Offline narcosis

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 01:37:10 PM »
oo nga tingin ko mabigat.. kasi im obssed with th 50's rockabilly tunes ryt now and Stray Cats hehe kaya ko naitanong kasi yun ang gamit nila
Fun Is Fun, Done Is Done

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 05:48:12 PM »
i had a try on a gretsch white falcon and it's f'ackin beautiful! not to mention it sounds great.. but it didn't come cheap either.. damn.. surely on my list..

i've also owned a gretsch synchromatic.. which i believe is the cheaper version of the duojet.. but it was reasonably good for its price.. cheaper than a mexican fender..

Offline narcosis

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 09:42:15 AM »
man baka pwede mo i benta sa kin on a reasonable price? heheh :D
Fun Is Fun, Done Is Done

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 12:53:18 PM »
i could if i still had it.. ;)

it looks like this:

but had an "F" hole..

Offline narcosis

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 01:04:16 PM »
oic kala ko may tremolo or like cya nung penguin series or Brian Setzer style guitar..
Fun Is Fun, Done Is Done

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 03:02:56 PM »
gretches have a twang to them because of the pickups and the make but they are mahogany guitars - i owned a Gretch Sparkle Jet in the past and it was nice but it was too bright like the Rickenbacker guitars. I eventually settled in on the Guild S100 and Guild Bluebird guitars I have now. they are much warmer sounding and suits jazz, metal and rock equally well....
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline narcosis

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 05:29:34 PM »
okie... Cge sa RJ music kaya may mga imitations ng gretsch or ng LES PAULS? ok naman b yung sound at yung price?
Fun Is Fun, Done Is Done

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2005, 12:44:04 PM »
probably not.. unless you're lucky..

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2006, 11:28:52 PM »
oh the Gretsch.. isa sa WISH  list ko. Heto eye opener. well actually Gretsch guitars stopped US production... kaya Japanese made na sila. and to top it all 2000$ yung price nung karamihan..like yung falcon at lalo na yung brian setzer model na nasa 2,500$ na yata.. the orig ones sell for 9,999, 95$.. i saw one last night na bulok na at kulay green pa. 5,500$
the sound? bagay ito sa country kasi me " twang" yung sound.
sa case ni brian setzer - rockabilly kasi siya at tamang tama yung tunog. kasama sa style nila Chet atkins at mga "country"  musicians. me similarity siya sa sound sa rickenbacker pero mas matining ang rickenbacher. george harisson uses both gretsch at rickenbacker kung titignan niyo. pero nag settle siya sa tele.
Music is art in sound...

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2006, 11:31:44 PM »
wtf? bakit nagka **** yung ttgnan na word? ( pagmasdan/observe)
Music is art in sound...

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2006, 11:40:05 PM »
Advantage?  They look cool.

Offline Ag3nt

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2006, 12:35:37 AM »
i bet meron din nito si oasyabang, he has the most expensive gear in the history of music. let's ask him.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2006, 12:42:20 AM »
hmmm those guitars are nice too....super [strawberry] expensive.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2006, 12:47:15 AM »
I'd use that guitar for the simple fact that people will look at my nice Gretsch and forget about listening to my mediocre guitar playing, haha :lol:  :cry:  :lol:

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2006, 12:55:09 AM »
yeah....I was at California Adventure last week and these Beach Boys tribute band guys were using really cool guitars....G&Ls...those Rickenbackers....syet and their rigs were in a trailer ...and they sound like the Beach Boys.......I guess those guitars really sound good CLEAN if you ask me.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2006, 12:56:29 AM »
Quote from: BALDO
wtf? bakit nagka **** yung ttgnan na word? ( pagmasdan/observe)

ha ha... na-edit din bigla yung post ko when i include the word ttgnan (pagmasdan/observe)... ang lupit ng auto-censor ano?  eh ang pinalit ko is the word kikilatasin... pero di naman na-censor...  :lol:

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2006, 01:09:28 AM »
Ibanez has a Gretsch lookalike, complete with Bigsby tremolo. Look for it, in lime green color at Audiophile-Paco.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2006, 04:49:57 AM »
i've been a fan of the Gretsch Sparkle Jets for a while and would pick one up if I could find them. They sound really nice. It has a very old school vibe that is equally at home playing heavy riffs.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2006, 05:01:57 AM »
Quote from: abyssinianson
gretches have a twang to them because of the pickups and the make but they are mahogany guitars - i owned a Gretch Sparkle Jet in the past and it was nice but it was too bright like the Rickenbacker guitars. I eventually settled in on the Guild S100 and Guild Bluebird guitars I have now. they are much warmer sounding and suits jazz, metal and rock equally well....

hey abyss,
may guild bluesbird ka pala! :D  how does it sound with hi gain stuff? Can you get a convincing b.sabbath crunch from it? mukang mas madali hanapin ang bluesbird kaysa s-100...although mukang malapit nako makakuha ng s-100, sana matuloy na to. :D

On gretsch, I'm just starting to do my research on those guitars...they remind me of Chris Cornell and Malcom Young though.. 8)
Guitars:Guild S-100, G&L Climax
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary