hulika

Author Topic: MAX RUFO's Custom Guitars & Basses w/ pics!  (Read 1242951 times)

Offline paparoni

• Forum Fanatic
Re: MAX RUFO's Custom Guitars & Basses w/ pics!
« Reply #725 on: March 30, 2008, 01:24:33 PM »
ayun ganda nung bass  :lol:

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #726 on: March 30, 2008, 01:38:17 PM »
he has a problem with 2 major things as far as I can tell so let me plainly lay this out for ya:

-don't claim a gross generalization of someone's workmanship when there really isn't a way to verify it. Max may make great guitars that cater to a variety of budgets but to say it will beat EVERY guitar out there is a touchy generalization because, mind you, there are a ton of us here that has played a TON of guitars and have gigged and have become EXPOSED to a TON of other guitars so we might know a thing or two about tone, workmanship and quality.

-why would you want a custom made if you don't have a budget? i don't get this point because it is counterproductive to the idea of a custom. a traditional custom build is entirely different from an affordable custom which is what you guys might be arguing for and these are completely different things. in a custom job, you pay "extra" for the opportunity to get something unique, made of the best materials. but in your case, you are building a custom without a budget to cut cost. opposite things, you see? i understand the concept of a custom but please be aware that the idea of a custom is to cherry-pick the best parts that you've come across and pool that into a particular guitar for you. ideally, this job would use the best qualities and components of other guitars including the wood. the reason why alex is arguing is that the statement "a custom guitar does not need to be expensive" doesn't make sense because quality, workmanship DOES correlate to cost. period. however, the fact that you are having a custom build without a budget, with wood that hasn't even been graded points to the fact that your goal is more cost than anything else and that is fine but do not put forth generalizations about who uses what kinds of local wood and use that to buttress your point. i will bet my right nut that frank gambale and Mike Fuller's (Fulltone) Phil Mahogany guitars picked the most consistent and best mahogany planks for their guitars through rigorous grading. If you've met Mike Fuller personally you'd know this off the bat. Saying you are getting the best sounding guitar because you and frank gamabale use the same type of wood is a hasty generalization that you can't make because you don't know the process max, yamaha and mike use to build their guitars.

point is: be happy with your guitar and keep your opinions to yourself. as long as you sound good, i couldn't give two sh#ts who built your guitar. if it works for YOU, that is all that counts and we won't have a problem as long as you don't start making claims about someone's work that, A) you can't verify because of tone is subjective, B) can't support through technical knowhow because you don't know ANY luthiery or about the process of building guitars. does the cost sound good to you? cool. does the guitar appeal to you? cool. are YOU happy with it? excellent and with that MAx has done his job right. now, do less talk and more playing...your energy is best put into looking for gigs, instead arging with people about some sort of indirect self-affirmation for the money you spent on a custom built guitar.

The best, most comprehensive, neutral and sensible post since I started reading on page 45. Firemodel55 has a point no matter how negative he may sound. Also, people started calling the discussion a "fight" was before a fight actually started. I hope people here learn to differentiate a good argument from a "fight". I agree with the "be careful of your claims" part and the rationale of cost=quality. However, there just might be mojo in Max Rufo's work. I'd love to try out his guitars someday.  :-)

Personally, I'd someday love to own an Elegee, a Max Rufo and a Roadtone. And a custom shop Jackson. Hehe.

Question: Before I call Max, how much would new block inlays cost kaya? It would be great if I could get a rough estimate from you guys. Baka naman wala talaga sa budget ko at nakulit ko lang si Max.  :-D Thanks

« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 02:05:18 PM by chromeknive »

Offline project

« Reply #727 on: March 30, 2008, 01:47:46 PM »
yupyup! different scale for each string which makes it easier to play.. tama si sir vaiaficionado

Online m1k3

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #728 on: March 30, 2008, 02:02:44 PM »
the slanted frets fix inherent intonation and tone issues sa guitar and bass.:D

it's basically having different scale lengths per string.:D

so parang True Temperament necks sya. astig!

http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php

Offline deadlifted

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #729 on: March 30, 2008, 02:24:02 PM »
Well...I've seen and heard a Mang Max custom V last night and all I could say was...PANALO! If he can do that at 12K how much more if you give him 100K? All I'm saying is his works are very at par to other local works. He is very able at pulido talaga ang gawa. No price point ratio argument here. Pulido talaga kahit hindi mo itanonng yung price. You'd think it was a very expensive guitar. I think the man is very anal about his job. Talked to him and his work ethic is great!

But for us who like the guy, we really liked the sound of his custom jobs. Local woods and all. Marunong naman siya pumili. Local premium woods. Just look at the grain consistency of GodofWar's custom. Kita kahit malayo. Ang again...the sound blew me away.

I'm on my way there this afternoon for a custom job. Hardware all mine.

Cheers to everyone.

you saw me last night sa center for the arts? sana nilapitan mo ko at kinausap. pinasubok ko sana sayo yung V ko. :-)

edit: ikaw pala yung sa Mass Defect!! ikaw ba yung tumulong samin ni Rad sa pag-balance ng levels kagabi? ayus! salamat!  :-D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 02:29:18 PM by deadlifted »
proud owner of Max Rufo custom guitars. call (02) 4427908

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #730 on: March 30, 2008, 02:29:57 PM »
@chromeknive: inlays depend on the detail and the type of fretboard. it is easier to do inlays on maple and rosewood because they are softer types of wood than ebony, a harder wood. calculate the cost in part based on this tidbit.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline BUmlbeBl33p

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #731 on: March 30, 2008, 02:53:24 PM »
Hindi mo naiintindihan siguro bakit bend ang ginagamit ko pang measure ng gitara ... hehehe.

just curious, bakit nga ba?   :?
-><-

Offline shutterbugjohn

« Reply #732 on: March 30, 2008, 03:03:33 PM »
i know mang max personally and soon sasamahan ko sya sa bilihan ng maples and other imported woods dito sa manila. and thats the same importer where other custom guitar builders buy their maples and ash, cherrys, etc etc. they dont really import it from other countries. they buy it here in manila lang. and its cheap. and saka nyo malalaman how good mang max is. and how low the price ng maple necks pag nagpagawa kyo kay mang max. di ko nga alam bakit ang mahal ng maple necks sa iba e.  i personally bought maples from them and i will tell you, they are not that expensive. i bought a hard rock flamed maple for my custom guitar that i personally handcrafted pero syempre tumatawag ako kay mang max for guitar building tips and advices. wala akong nakitang pagdadamot, kay mang max. he even gave me a piece of acrylic plastic for my control plate cover for free. ako na lang daw mag shape. ganun kabait si mang max.

the first time i asked mang max for a telecaster custom, he gave me a price na sobrang baba. sabi ko di ba kayo lugi mang max?? di nman daw. hindi lang talaga sya mataas magtubo for his labor. ive played other customs as well, wala naman ako masasabi sa pagkapulido gumawa ni mang max. sa materials lang sila nagkakatalo.
text me for inquiries: 0933.4371584
YM: DREJHM0828
http://www.facebook.com/guitar.love.repairs

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #733 on: March 30, 2008, 03:26:54 PM »
The best, most comprehensive, neutral and sensible post since I started reading on page 45. Firemodel55 has a point no matter how negative he may sound. Also, people started calling the discussion a "fight" was before a fight actually started. I hope people here learn to differentiate a good argument from a "fight". I agree with the "be careful of your claims" part and the rationale of cost=quality. However, there just might be mojo in Max Rufo's work. I'd love to try out his guitars someday.  :-)

I agree. Someone attacking an argument doesn't necessarily mean attacking the person who said the argument.
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline consequence

• Veteran Member
« Reply #734 on: March 30, 2008, 04:29:47 PM »
i know mang max personally and soon sasamahan ko sya sa bilihan ng maples and other imported woods dito sa manila. and thats the same importer where other custom guitar builders buy their maples and ash, cherrys, etc etc. they dont really import it from other countries. they buy it here in manila lang. and its cheap. and saka nyo malalaman how good mang max is. and how low the price ng maple necks pag nagpagawa kyo kay mang max. di ko nga alam bakit ang mahal ng maple necks sa iba e.  i personally bought maples from them and i will tell you, they are not that expensive. i bought a hard rock flamed maple for my custom guitar that i personally handcrafted pero syempre tumatawag ako kay mang max for guitar building tips and advices. wala akong nakitang pagdadamot, kay mang max. he even gave me a piece of acrylic plastic for my control plate cover for free. ako na lang daw mag shape. ganun kabait si mang max.

the first time i asked mang max for a telecaster custom, he gave me a price na sobrang baba. sabi ko di ba kayo lugi mang max?? di nman daw. hindi lang talaga sya mataas magtubo for his labor. ive played other customs as well, wala naman ako masasabi sa pagkapulido gumawa ni mang max. sa materials lang sila nagkakatalo.

Sir Pa PM naman sakin yung location and tel no ng dealer pls.thanks im looking for a birds eye maple. :-D
My dear we're slow dancing in a burning room.

Offline ytse_neil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #735 on: March 31, 2008, 01:14:06 AM »
wow...ayus to..sir mang max rufo..kakakwento lang sakin yan kanina ng aking bagong friend..hehehe...malapit lang sa school namen..

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #736 on: March 31, 2008, 03:21:21 AM »
at a gig:

guitarist: does anyone know what wood my guitar is?

crowd: NO! we dont care!

guitarist: how about what hardware it has?

crowd: NO!

guitarist: how about the guy who made it? does anyone in here care about that?

crowd: just shut the f--- up and play something already! we dont give a sh-- about what wood your guitar is. it could be made of paper mache and we wouldnt give a rats a--.

*beer bottles fly*

all i want to say is, im not about to sell a car to play guitar. why cant people like me enjoy what they pay for without some rich guy swooping in and trolling on every "cheap" guitar he sees? thing is, THIS IS ALL I CAN AFFORD.

you cant park a kia next to a ferrari and get away with it
you cant set aside a can of corned beef to a t-bone steak and get away with it
you cant put a baker b3 beside a squier and get away with it.

but for people like me

a car is a car
food is food
a guitar is a guitar.

parang andito tayo, kumakain sa karenderya ng maayos. nabubusog. masaya. tapos may darating na lalake na kakagaling lang sa isang 5 star restaurant at nagtanong: "ano bang masarap dito at bakit pa kayo kumakain ng ganyan?"

to whom it may concern: that is what you are doing.

Langxst

« Reply #737 on: March 31, 2008, 04:06:01 AM »
Di mo mabibili ang TALENT.  :evil:
pero kayang ipunin ang PERA.  :evil:

Offline BlackDiamond

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #738 on: March 31, 2008, 05:12:01 AM »
at a gig:

crowd: just shut the f--- up and play something already! we dont give a sh-- about what wood your guitar is. it could be made of paper mache and we wouldnt give a rats a--.

*beer bottles fly*

all i want to say is, im not about to sell a car to play guitar. why cant people like me enjoy what they pay for without some rich guy swooping in and trolling on every "cheap" guitar he sees? thing is, THIS IS ALL I CAN AFFORD.

but for people like me

a car is a car
food is food
a guitar is a guitar.

parang andito tayo, kumakain sa karenderya ng maayos. nabubusog. masaya. tapos may darating na lalake na kakagaling lang sa isang 5 star restaurant at nagtanong: "ano bang masarap dito at bakit pa kayo kumakain ng ganyan?"

Kudos paengkee!

This post really hit the point right between the eyes!  :-)
This forumite is a different person:
http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?action=profile;u=43394
I'm not him! HMMP!

Offline toybitz

« Reply #739 on: March 31, 2008, 05:16:39 AM »
cool! but then, why are we choosy choosy with our gear?  why do we describe them, "ganda tumunog!", "haba ng sustain" kapag binebenta na?  :-D
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline BlackDiamond

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #740 on: March 31, 2008, 05:28:23 AM »
Heheheheh

I won't eat food that taste bland. You can find good food sa mga carinderia, di ba? and of course, I won't order something like...

Seared lamb loin chops coated with Dijon mustard and fresh herbs

and

Snow peas and carrots cut in julienne matchsticks with a refreshing lemon vinaigrette.

kapag kakain ako sa carinderia.

:-D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 05:35:38 AM by BlackDiamond »
This forumite is a different person:
http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?action=profile;u=43394
I'm not him! HMMP!

Offline Erdy

« Reply #741 on: March 31, 2008, 05:48:51 AM »
Just passing by... :-)

The first time na nakarating ako sa place ni Mang Max naging curious ako bakit ganitong woods ang gamit nya for guitar building and in fact in my research it is not classified as tone woods (sorry not to mention what wood is im talking about :-)). I ask him about it, and said "MARAMI TAYONG MAGAGANDANG KAHOY DITO SA PILIPINAS, GUSTO KONG I-EXPLORE ANG BAWAT ISA", and he gave me an example in shell (M.O.P. and abalone), "TULAD NITONG SHELL NA ITO, HINDI MAGANDA ANG ITSURA SA PANLABAS PERO KUNG BABALATAN MO SIYA MAKIKITA MO ANG GANDA NYA".
   Now i understand why, naging proud pa ako sa kanya. He has a passion for building guitars, exploring and experimenting things that will make him a step ahead as a luthier.
   We ended up our conversation by giving him the contact number of dealer of imported woods here in manila.

SALUDO AKO SA IYO MANG MAX!

Offline Metal Gear Solid

• Veteran Member
« Reply #742 on: March 31, 2008, 09:11:25 AM »
you saw me last night sa center for the arts? sana nilapitan mo ko at kinausap. pinasubok ko sana sayo yung V ko. :-)

edit: ikaw pala yung sa Mass Defect!! ikaw ba yung tumulong samin ni Rad sa pag-balance ng levels kagabi? ayus! salamat!  :-D

dude, ndi na kelangan yun! tunog pa lang ulam na! Ehehehe!

Offline sanchai

« Reply #743 on: March 31, 2008, 09:48:55 AM »

The first time na nakarating ako sa place ni Mang Max naging curious ako bakit ganitong woods ang gamit nya for guitar building and in fact in my research it is not classified as tone woods (sorry not to mention what wood is im talking about :-)). I ask him about it, and said "MARAMI TAYONG MAGAGANDANG KAHOY DITO SA PILIPINAS, GUSTO KONG I-EXPLORE ANG BAWAT ISA", and he gave me an example in shell (M.O.P. and abalone), "TULAD NITONG SHELL NA ITO, HINDI MAGANDA ANG ITSURA SA PANLABAS PERO KUNG BABALATAN MO SIYA MAKIKITA MO ANG GANDA NYA".
   Now i understand why, naging proud pa ako sa kanya. He has a passion for building guitars, exploring and experimenting things that will make him a step ahead as a luthier.
   We ended up our conversation by giving him the contact number of dealer of imported woods here in manila.

+100000000

mismo si mang max....

exploring all avenues sa kanyang craft...

"The love we have bebs that I have lost now, will still and always will be the love that I will long for until the day I die...."  - Hugh Grant

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #744 on: March 31, 2008, 11:13:44 AM »
at a gig:

*beer bottles fly*

but for people like me

a car is a car
food is food
a guitar is a guitar.

Bad analogy.  Why?  Because I believe that you-know-who didn't enter the discussion to lambast the Max guitars for the heck of it.  He was against specific claims or insinuations about the Max guitars that could not be substantiated, and were eventually defended with emotional reasoning.

This is why I don't like threads that "support" specific guitar brands/models.  In most cases, the threadstarter will make bold claims about how X can outdo Y, or insinuate that you don't really need Z because X is good enough. 

I would prefer people to just have threads that say "hey guys, I tried out this guitar and I thought it was cool" with no reference to any other brand / model.  Wouldn't that be better?

Offline John-Federis

« Reply #745 on: March 31, 2008, 11:23:21 AM »
sir, ghostrider or sca series po yata yung gamit nyang guitar dun sa video. hope this helps. :)

ganun b? thanks bro.. :-D mejo nagkakagulo pla dito sa threads nitong wik end hehehe.. again, thanks bro..

Offline lateralis

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #746 on: March 31, 2008, 11:48:01 AM »
Let's end it all here guys pls?
Forget what once happened & just move on.
I don't plan to respond to Firemodel55's last post anymore to avoid bringing that up. I already gave my proof & I won't go into details. In the end, I'd still stand w/ what I believe in.
Hope you guys understand.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 11:49:40 AM by lateralis »

Offline gereyster

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #747 on: March 31, 2008, 11:53:19 AM »
Let's end it all here guys pls?
Forget what once happened & just move on.
I don't plan to respond to Firemodel55's last post anymore to avoid bringing that up. I already gave my proof & I won't go into details. In the end, I'd still stand w/ what I believe in.
Hope you guys understand.

Cheers!

amen to this!  :wink:
bahista - sikatuna / lampara / earthmover / larkhouse project

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #748 on: March 31, 2008, 12:07:13 PM »
i know mang max personally and soon sasamahan ko sya sa bilihan ng maples and other imported woods dito sa manila. and thats the same importer where other custom guitar builders buy their maples and ash, cherrys, etc etc. they dont really import it from other countries. they buy it here in manila lang.

Who?  You mean Jon and/or Arie?

Offline deadlifted

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #749 on: March 31, 2008, 12:29:58 PM »
dude, ndi na kelangan yun! tunog pa lang ulam na! Ehehehe!

hehehe! papagawa ka rin kay Mang Max di ba? pasububok rin pag natapos na. magsubukan tayo! :-D :-D

i actually did a bit of research tungkol jan, eto ang nadiskbure ko, share ko sa inyong lahat:

phil mahogany or lauan - mahogany
acacia - kamaganak ng koa na sikat na tonewood from hawaii, Acacia koa yung scientific name nun
kamagong - macassar ebony sikat ng wood for fingerboards.
narra - scientific name is Pterocarpus indicus otherwise known as Malay Padauk.
makopa - kamaganak ng myrtlewood

lahat ng nabanggit ko ginagamit yan ni Mang Max.
proud owner of Max Rufo custom guitars. call (02) 4427908