hulika

Author Topic: Home Audio Entertainment  (Read 6955 times)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: Home Audio Entertainment
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2007, 04:51:54 PM »
Do some asking around in the local audiophile scene here. My brother had a couple of floor standing towers assembled locally based on what appears to be a B&W design, craftsmanship and sound are excellent... and he only spent 10k!
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2007, 05:27:43 PM »
Eto na naman ako...  sabi ng aking friend na audiophile, maganda raw ang tube hi-fi power amplifier like the old Dynaco's and McIintosh.   But it's kinda weird because aren't SS are supposed to be better for hi-fi because of the less sags?  Or is there such a thing as desirable sag of tubes in hi-fi?

These hi-fi stuff cost cheap in China and I wanna buy one.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2007, 12:58:44 AM »
As much as I love tubes I think SS can sound pretty clean as well. I have a McIntosh reissue power amp from the mid 90's and I like it just as much as my Sansui SS components from the 70s. I run both components through a set of rectilinear 5 and Magnepan speakers. I am happy with how they sound.

When considering speakers, look into the crossover design, the cabinet design and what the effective range of the speakers are because all speakers will sound different considering the type of stuff you have in your listening area. if you have a set of speakers built, knowing these things will make your resulting product more fitting of your particular needs.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2007, 12:59:40 AM »
tube na naman ang usapan? ano ba to?!

wala na bang katapusan ang tube topic? hehehehe
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2007, 02:18:06 AM »
wala na bang katapusan ang tube topic? hehehehe

There is if you let it. OTOH, my brother likes to use tube amps for his home theatre setup... the ones with really heavy transformers and tubes whose heaters really light up. Magkano kaya electric bill nya monthly?  :| Hmmm...
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2007, 05:06:42 AM »
There is if you let it. OTOH, my brother likes to use tube amps for his home theatre setup... the ones with really heavy transformers and tubes whose heaters really light up. Magkano kaya electric bill nya monthly?  :| Hmmm...

haha...yun nga sa winter dito sa bahay ko halos akong hindi gumamit ng heater even when it it close to freezing (avg 4 degrees C) because between the tube amps, the computers and the outboard gear, the studio ends up being quite toasty. even my dogs and cats like being in the studio room holing up wherever it is the comfiest for them.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2007, 11:45:47 AM »
OT: Another new avatar, abyss? Next you'll be putting Claire Forlani or Eva La Rue from the CSI shows.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2007, 01:47:38 PM »

KIT! post  pic of your tube amp!!! so cool!
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2007, 02:03:41 PM »

hehe... It's at my brother's condo already, aside from his other audiophile gear. But I'll try to post pics when I get the opportunity.

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2007, 06:13:18 PM »
It's supposed to sound warm. Also feel warm when he sees his electric bill  8-)
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2007, 06:16:52 PM »
It's supposed to sound warm. Also feel warm when he sees his electric bill  8-)

Going by that premise, dapat naka-SS tayong lahat para malamig ang panahon.  :lol:

Offline alroyT

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2007, 01:40:31 AM »
I have the Mcintosh receiver but its noisier than B&O so naka tenga yung Mc.Do I have to replace the tube or whatnot?I dont feel like pulling it out of the entertainment set coz its heavy.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2007, 03:07:34 AM »
I have the Mcintosh receiver but its noisier than B&O so naka tenga yung Mc.Do I have to replace the tube or whatnot?I dont feel like pulling it out of the entertainment set coz its heavy.

Have it taken in for a cleaning. Dust really does a number of the innards of those things. I had my Sansui power amp and preamp taken in for a cleaning and, apprently, it has never had one since 1974!! After I got it back, the sound was spanking clean.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2007, 03:09:02 AM »
OT: Another new avatar, abyss? Next you'll be putting Claire Forlani or Eva La Rue from the CSI shows.

Yeah, new avatar but its the syota this time. She has a thing for goofing around with the camera when bored. Its all good though, I think its cute. Mwahaha...ang corny ano?

Offline alroyT

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2007, 03:48:46 AM »
Have it taken in for a cleaning. Dust really does a number of the innards of those things. I had my Sansui power amp and preamp taken in for a cleaning and, apprently, it has never had one since 1974!! After I got it back, the sound was spanking clean.
OMG Abyss u have no idea how heavy this is.I remember it almost gave me a hernia the day i took it home.I wish I could say im not a wuzz.I'll use the other receiver for the moment,i've gone weary w/ it anyway.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2007, 05:19:18 AM »
they are heavy so just make sure that you have a dolly of some sort to carry it if you can't directly carry the thing. my 2102 is almost a 100lbs and carrying the thing is a workout in itself. at least with my guitar amp heads I've got handles to use, with the Mc i ain't got squat to hold onto so i use my workout weight gloves to get some grip on it.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2007, 01:55:57 PM »
I really find no real reason to get a tube hi-fi power amp knowing they are expensive, but when I saw a lot of eBay sellers from China with these things, ($60 for a Class A EL34 power amp) I started gassing for one.

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2007, 01:57:47 PM »
hmmm tube amp? ok yung McIntosh... lalo na kapag ikinabit sa Bose 901.. i love those Denon home theatre amps with 7.1... ok na ok sa acoustimass..  8-)
Music is art in sound...

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2007, 01:59:05 PM »
Kit yun ba yung AMP na nakita ko sa inyo? ok yung hitsura ah..parang groove tubes pa yung tubo.. tama ba? o NOS?
Music is art in sound...

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2007, 02:02:46 PM »
I really find no real reason to get a tube hi-fi power amp knowing they are expensive, but when I saw a lot of eBay sellers from China with these things, ($60 for a Class A EL34 power amp) I started gassing for one.
60$ for an amp??? eh 2 tubo lang na EL34 eh nasa 50$ na.. wondering ano kaya quality nung amp na yun.. :?
Music is art in sound...

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2007, 02:12:31 PM »

you can build one of your own if you want. it doesn't need to be expensive. however, I got my McI for a pretty good price when I came across it and the guy was more than willing to cut a deal just to let go of his old stock.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2007, 09:03:49 PM »
How do these things look for $60?

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2007, 09:30:51 PM »
nice! hehe.  but presyo pa lang ng ilang tubes yan diba?

can't imagine how they can sell it for 60 USD?  but they do sell a lot of cheap stuff from ebay.  the only question is if they do make the delivery.  buyer beware ika nga.

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline alroyT

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2007, 09:35:39 PM »
wouldnt touch that with a ten foot pole

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2007, 09:44:48 PM »
Buyer beware kaya dun ko siya bibilhin sa China mismo...

Pero mukha ngang dapat naka insulating gloves ako pag ginamit ko yan...