hulika

Author Topic: Is there a market for Blues Nights in Makati?  (Read 5152 times)

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
Is there a market for Blues Nights in Makati?
« on: September 24, 2007, 03:22:23 PM »
Blues fever ramblings...

I and a few cohorts are intrigued if there is a sustainable market for weekly blues nights in Makati.

If there is, which day is better, Tuesdays or Thursdays?

Last, are there enough local blues bands able to dish two 45min sets without dropping the beat and energy level? ;)

Offline driftees

Re: Is there a market for Blues Nights in Makati?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 04:31:07 PM »
Blues fever ramblings...

I and a few cohorts are intrigued if there is a sustainable market for weekly blues nights in Makati.

Last, are there enough local blues bands able to dish two 45min sets without dropping the beat and energy level? ;)

hmmm sounds interesting hope fully there these places who will blues and blues oriented groups to perform in... :-)

ang gulo-gulo na ng mundo kaya magtugtugan na lang tayo!!!!

--->>>> Emy pLuG <<<<---

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 09:04:17 AM »
Blues fever ramblings...

Ano to, pre, next project?   Woohoo!!!  This would be the coup d grace!

My 2 cents

1.  Yes, there is a market cuz bars that feature blues like Handlebar are doing well during their blues gigs.  I'm sure there's a larger market there who would welcome a regular blues night.  The Makati crowd is big and gots $$$.

2.  Yes, there are a number of blues bands who can dish out two 45-minute sets.  Top of my head: Lampano (if and when they're in town), Blue Rats, Wally G, Huka/Lady High, Snakecharmer, Plug, and of course, Kulukati (dami pa natira sa pondo namin last Sat!).  :-D   That's  enough to rotate over a couple of months if weekly ang blues night.

Good luck pare!

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 10:42:35 AM »
I'd LOVE to help coordinate a full Kulukati set or two... :wink:

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 01:15:28 PM »
I'd LOVE to help coordinate a full Kulukati set or two... :wink:

Ayan sinabi na fafa Kit!  That settles that!

Kit - Book na kayo sa Bar 42 ng two sets para ma-roadtest natin ang pondo.  :-D

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 10:32:13 AM »
ayos ah, ang sumasagot lang yung members na ng choir, text text na lang tayo nayn. hehehe. Ok din mag-comment mga analysts and enthusiasts...

Syempre naman, for and in consideration na yung bands na mentioned ni Delta.

I realized, the bigger question other than the ability to dish 2-45min-set is this... are the local blues bands ready and "willing" to take their performances to entertainment level? not to bakya showband level but at the least, a polished presentation and orchestration. I know there's a fine line, pwede na kaya?

for example, most folks go to shows and concerts to enjoy music, let loose and have lots of fun - not really to witness a 5 minute guitar solo on every other song. pag nag-enjoy ang crowd, they will come back and even bring their friends back.

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 11:16:47 AM »
... most folks go to shows and concerts to enjoy music, let loose and have lots of fun - not really to witness a 5 minute guitar solo on every other song. pag nag-enjoy ang crowd, they will come back and even bring their friends back.

yup, +1 ... more songs, good vocals, shorter solos... sort of a blues band version of what the band Overdrive dishes out?

Food for thought/Question: Does the sophisticated, moneyed Makati crowd want just "plakado" performances or will loose jams and extended solos still be acceptable?

Offline Valve

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 11:28:36 AM »
Makati?? hmm.. why not Malate? Same pesos if you ask me. I once saw Sammy Asuncion belt out a 30 minute solo over a tribal beat, pero tuwang tuwa pa din ang mga tao. Even the 6 to 10 year old kids, nag e enjoy!  :-D

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 12:49:03 PM »
Food for thought/Question: Does the sophisticated, moneyed Makati crowd want just "plakado" performances or will loose jams and extended solos still be acceptable?

I think acceptable yan BUT depende sa crowd. Dapat alam ng artist i-feel ang crowd. Pag hindi ume-epekto ang songs sa playlist, dapat marunong mag-adjust.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 07:28:59 PM »
ayos ah, ang sumasagot lang yung members na ng choir, text text na lang tayo nayn. hehehe. Ok din mag-comment mga analysts and enthusiasts...

I realized, the bigger question other than the ability to dish 2-45min-set is this... are the local blues bands ready and "willing" to take their performances to entertainment level? not to bakya showband level but at the least, a polished presentation and orchestration. I know there's a fine line, pwede na kaya?

for example, most folks go to shows and concerts to enjoy music, let loose and have lots of fun - not really to witness a 5 minute guitar solo on every other song. pag nag-enjoy ang crowd, they will come back and even bring their friends back.

I don't know, 5 minute guitar solo every other song is stretching it.  However, I can think of many blues bands who can WOW audiences even with numerous long solos in their set, as long as it's a good song lead by good vocals, supported by ensemble playing of interesting arrangements.

So long as the audience knows what they're walking into (hey, its a blues club... solos and jams are a feature, not a bug), I think it'll fly.  Up to the band to balance things and make it interesting, energetic, and not boring self-indulgence.   To a certain extent, I think blues audiences expect some degree of looseness in the performance.  Kung walang sense of risk-taking and improvisation, it'll just be like listening to the cd...

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 06:04:02 AM »
I don't know, 5 minute guitar solo every other song is stretching it.  However, I can think of many blues bands who can WOW audiences even with numerous long solos in their set, as long as it's a good song lead by good vocals, supported by ensemble playing of interesting arrangements.

So long as the audience knows what they're walking into (hey, its a blues club... solos and jams are a feature, not a bug), I think it'll fly.  Up to the band to balance things and make it interesting, energetic, and not boring self-indulgence.   To a certain extent, I think blues audiences expect some degree of looseness in the performance.  Kung walang sense of risk-taking and improvisation, it'll just be like listening to the cd...

mismo! masarap plakado pero sakto itong explanation or radio di ba? i agree to rakrakan's point but yep it depends on the crowd....

pwede ba kami umekstra? saling ket-ket? hehehe

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 09:05:24 AM »

hahahha! perfect! :D

Are You Experienced

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 09:15:26 AM »
Side note,  Handle Bar is more on Rock, Classic, New wave, I dont think they ever had a straight Blues Night.. at least not to my knowledge.. I remember a few blues clubs that catered exclusively the blues that opened, and sadly, closed a few years back.. That one on Makati Ave, forget the name, oh wait! Bourbon St I think it is, then there was Kidd CReole..I was able to play there in a 3 piece band, but being beside Absinth, and managerial problems, it wasnt sustained, but I was not playing straight blues, even if it was a blues club.. I was playing Steve Miller, Hendrix etc.. blues based..

there was another club, but I forget the name.. but places you CAN play blues at are, Hanlde bar and Heckle and Jeckle.. But you know, I dont really go out, and things might have changed in the past few years, maybe Kublai's in maga might be open to a Blues Night..  :-D
Are You Experienced

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 09:17:43 AM »
ya but thats SAMMY!  :evil: nag plug lang ng gitara, interesting na!

Makati?? hmm.. why not Malate? Same pesos if you ask me. I once saw Sammy Asuncion belt out a 30 minute solo over a tribal beat, pero tuwang tuwa pa din ang mga tao. Even the 6 to 10 year old kids, nag e enjoy!  :-D
Are You Experienced

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 01:08:35 PM »
Side note,  Handle Bar is more on Rock, Classic, New wave, I dont think they ever had a straight Blues Night.. at least not to my knowledge.. I remember a few blues clubs that catered exclusively the blues that opened, and sadly, closed a few years back.. That one on Makati Ave, forget the name, oh wait! Bourbon St I think it is, then there was Kidd CReole..I was able to play there in a 3 piece band, but being beside Absinth, and managerial problems, it wasnt sustained, but I was not playing straight blues, even if it was a blues club.. I was playing Steve Miller, Hendrix etc.. blues based..

there was another club, but I forget the name.. but places you CAN play blues at are, Hanlde bar and Heckle and Jeckle.. But you know, I dont really go out, and things might have changed in the past few years, maybe Kublai's in maga might be open to a Blues Night..  :-D

Aaahh... Kidd Creole and Bourbon St.... those were the days. but going further back...

lefty - did you ever gig at de ol Bottomline?  wats Ricky up to? he should put up a club for blues out there.  i remember yer mom's tropa on one table was sometimes the only group in the audience when Soul Dredgers would play on Sunday's.  but still a lot fun. nothing like real blues enthusiasts to keep it real.

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 10:47:58 AM »
Oh ya! dude I totally remember that! yeah that was another place, altough in alabang, but Bottom line days were preety coool! I remeber seein you guys play, and we were all, hell yeah! someone reppin' the blues, down home real style! that was awesome..
I did gig there! I plyed with my band, Cowboy and The Bandits, we blues'd out.. and I also played with EFB. Edmund Fortuno Band doin his original material, and some Pretenders and Pat Benetar which, Tita Emmy, The late Bosyo's wife, would sing.. Good times dude! :D Ricky, he now is in Puerto Galera, dive master during the day, Blues man at night in Various resorts with kids backin him up, and still be preachin the blues on the island man! :D
Aaahh... Kidd Creole and Bourbon St.... those were the days. but going further back...

lefty - did you ever gig at de ol Bottomline?  wats Ricky up to? he should put up a club for blues out there.  i remember yer mom's tropa on one table was sometimes the only group in the audience when Soul Dredgers would play on Sunday's.  but still a lot fun. nothing like real blues enthusiasts to keep it real.
Are You Experienced

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2007, 09:46:12 PM »
wow, major flashback yan delta and lefty.

I recall a jam with lefty on guitars & vox, ricky on keys (b3 ba yun?) bosyo on drums and I ended up on the bass, I think I managed a couple of songs - Crossroads is one of them.

grabe yun, commute with my bass from Valenzuela to Alabang, all for the love of da blooze.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 07:39:18 AM »
Oh ya! dude I totally remember that! yeah that was another place, altough in alabang, but Bottom line days were preety coool! I remeber seein you guys play, and we were all, hell yeah! someone reppin' the blues, down home real style! that was awesome..
I did gig there! I plyed with my band, Cowboy and The Bandits, we blues'd out.. and I also played with EFB. Edmund Fortuno Band doin his original material, and some Pretenders and Pat Benetar which, Tita Emmy, The late Bosyo's wife, would sing.. Good times dude! :D Ricky, he now is in Puerto Galera, dive master during the day, Blues man at night in Various resorts with kids backin him up, and still be preachin the blues on the island man! :D

Yeah!  Good times, bro.  :-D

Sana mag organize ng bluesfest si Ricky sa Galera, tapos togs tayo!

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 02:19:55 PM »
Yeah!  Good times, bro.  :-D

Sana mag organize ng bluesfest si Ricky sa Galera, tapos togs tayo!

Yeh gud tayms! :)

oo nga, Galera!
Are You Experienced

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2007, 03:03:47 PM »
if you build it, they will come.

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2007, 09:02:25 PM »
if you build it, they will come.

uy, nabuhay si Nates! wassup man?

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 10:46:33 AM »
uy, nabuhay si Nates! wassup man?
nuttin much. da neber ending cycle: work-bahay-work-bahay. :lol: the upside is i've had lot of time for woodshedding.

di ko na ulit na-update pinoyblues.org

next weekend...

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 04:12:32 AM »
(just a response to the recent posts, but medyo OT sa subject..)

it's just good to see the guys who started pinoyblues.org (and consequently the pinoy blues club) right on track, especially with the pinoy blues CD. i'm really happy that even at, say, a relaxed pace, we're all building the blues hype again just like the good 'ol days.

rakrakan: tried to reply to your pm, but your inbox was full. yeah, i'm the guitarist of the band who recorded "sairutsa" in your studio--joint. i remember your studio very well. sino ba namang di makakalimot with that kind of equipment!! hehehe. state of the art. big ups to you and your studio.

ayun, up lang. heheheh. :P

Offline purplehaze

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2007, 10:17:22 AM »
Is there a market for a blues nights in makati????
sadly i think wala. if you look at the history of all the establishment that tried (in vain) to open a blues (and even jazz) joint sa makati walang nagtagal..
example... left alone bar (in creekside) closed after a year, bourbon street in makati ave. (the late great)  monks dream, kidd creole and if you consider the following (although hindi pure blues club pero they kinda support the the genre) kalye in palanca street, week end live at the atrium. There is even skid row in pasay road which only lasted a few months (where i saw razorback played)

While the 'makati' crowd projects a kind of 'sophisticated' and upper middle class and supposedly a more 'knowledgeable' mix of people, the truth of the matter is hanggang starbucks jazz/blues lang ang alam ng karamihan ng mga tao duon. I know I used to work along Ayala for a very very long time until I got tired of all the traffic (and to some degree the pretensions of the makati yuppies) and decided to find work here in manila area.

You should also consider the outrageous costs and expenses in running a bar/joint in makati such as rent, utilities and salaries of the people who would be running the bar.

All these years when i used to patronized the 'blues and jazz' bars located sa makati minsan dalawa lang kami ng kaibigan ko most of the time and nanunuod and i speak from experienced....

he he so forget makati and look for some place.. i am sure mayruon pero hindi siya sa makati...