hulika

Author Topic: important question for artists  (Read 7318 times)

william251082

Re: important question for artists
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2008, 07:50:09 PM »
Beethoven is not really born a gifted child like Mozart or Chopin but he's still one of the most important name in music because of his solid VISION. He paved the way from the classical to the romantic era in music. Much like what Bird and Diz did to jazz.

All of the artists mentioned above have their each and OWN vision.

william251082

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2008, 06:03:42 AM »
There are already billions of musicians who can play great solos and make creative music in this world. What separates your playing from being just a great solo/music is your musical VISION...

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2008, 07:55:26 AM »
the vision?

"We are here to make a sound

--from the book zen guitar from philip toshio sudo
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

william251082

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2008, 04:34:22 AM »
Being sincere and their vision is what separate great artists from being labelled to just being "good or bad" because they’re beyond that.

Offline Kipling241

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2008, 05:26:45 PM »
then riddle me this! can an artist's intentional lack of vision in music be his vision in music? if so, what sort of un-envisioned music would he make?
Fnord.

william251082

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2008, 03:37:10 PM »
Some people think one thing and say another, but the real masters, their point comes across and there’s no question about what they’re trying to say.

itchybrain

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2008, 03:23:45 AM »
then riddle me this! can an artist's intentional lack of vision in music be his vision in music? if so, what sort of un-envisioned music would he make?

Butter.

Offline joshnerez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2008, 05:30:51 PM »
steal, absorb, apply, share..  :lol:
"It is not great men who changes the world, but weak men in the hands of a great God."

Offline teban

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2008, 05:31:45 AM »
my vision is not to labeled great... my vision is to buy an island and fill it with real uncorrupted musicians... i wanna gather every tribe from every region.. the island will not have any foreign influence, no gma, no abs cbn. i will fill it with traditional instruments. my vision is to erase colonial mentality. i'm very curious about what music we could come up with if we haven't been colonized.  i will find every leaf player, rainstick master, kudyapi slinger, kulintang expert etc.. produce them and sell it worldwide. then i'll die.

william251082

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2008, 04:34:11 PM »
Some people think one thing and say another, but the real masters, their point comes across and there’s no question about what they’re trying to say.

william251082

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2008, 06:02:38 AM »
Sonny Rollins explaining Miles Davis' musical vision
feature=related

Sonny Rollins explaining John Coltrane's musical vision
feature=related

Do you think Sonny Rollins, Miles Davis and John Coltrane were gonna be who they are now if they just play like Charlie Parker, like everybody else?

They all have they're own musical vision...

This is what separates the real masters from some great youtube guys!

william251082

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2008, 05:05:15 AM »
Someone who's not sure and don't even know where he's going, won't change anything.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 09:13:29 PM by william251082 »

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 07:38:16 PM »
It's all about the Benjamins.  :evil: Wala pang nagsasabi neto eh.

Wag n'yo ko seryosohin.  :-D

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2008, 12:21:34 PM »
I like jazz, so I guess I'll go with jazz tunes. But at the same time, I think it's also fair that I use the music that God gave us for glorifying him and spreading His love.

So, siguro my vision is Gospel Jazz music (parang Gospel truth ba? Hehe, but you know what I mean).

Hindi ba parang napaka-ankop? Especially when you make the music play you; it's like letting God play you, and what man can see is improvisation. So para kang nagto-tongues sa music, hehe. :-D But seriously, when you play with your heart without thinking, I think you transcend into a more spiritual level - this way i think you can almost feel heaven (to those that are reaching this level already, ain't it so?)

I can almost see it, hear it - teka, practice pa muna.  :-D

Amen to that bro!!!

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2008, 06:58:57 PM »
Amen to that bro!!!

Somehow, I feel like too religious here. Hypocrite. Haha. :-D

But it's more like what Duke Ellington went through - I think after a while he went playing for Christians Churches (I think, not sure.)

But then again, I'm Roman Catholic, so... hmmm...

Kaso nga lang, hindi kayang buhayin ang pamilya ko ng full-time na ganito. Maybe half-time lang. :)

As we grow old, our vision changes - it's one of the sad tragedies of life (or so they say). Question is (for artists) does your vision change as you learn? And is it always for the better?

william251082

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2008, 08:34:28 PM »
The choices you've made and your current situation is of course a big factor in your vision/ideas(whatever you want to call it).

In my case, I could've just get some job when I got abroad but instead I chose to study music and gave up a lot of things.

But whatever your vision is, what's important is that it's clear, at least that's what I noticed from great artists. (Medyo esoteric na topic, kaya pagbigyan nyo na lang :-D)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 03:41:39 AM by william251082 »

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2008, 03:20:43 AM »
The choices you've made and your current situation is of course a big factor in your vision/ideas(whatever you want to call it).

In my case, I could've just get some job when I got abroad but instead I chose to study music and gave up a lot of things.

But whatever your vision is, what's important is that it's clear, at least that's what I noticed from great artisits. (Medyo esoteric na topic, kaya pagbigyan nyo na lang :-D)

Pareng William, ano ba yung artisit? Lagi ba 'yang nakaupo?  :-P
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

william251082

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2008, 03:41:08 AM »

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2008, 06:03:13 PM »
My vision is to open peoples ears to better things, and to improve on how to communicate it. You guys are totally right about sharing the love. And hopefully, the better things would lead more listeners towards a healthier artistic evolution.

Not just by the means of playing out and being heard. I find it through sharing music, and musical resources and ideas. And in hoping that some inspiration is sparked, either way.

Also, in line with personal music, I like the Jan Akkerman quote, which hit me hard (I paraphrase)-

"would you play 200 things that can be heard by 3 people, or play 3 things that can be heard by 200 people?"

Its something I like to meditate on, and work on. Communicating something easily digestable, yet without alienating common ears or compromising your musical values.

Its a tough road when your heads flooded...
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn