hulika

Author Topic: The SOUND SYSTEM RANT thread  (Read 6665 times)

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The SOUND SYSTEM RANT thread
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2007, 10:36:06 AM »
yeah, you're right. well, the rme's should last you quite a while. and if you don't need too many channels, then the fireface 400 should do. it's a little less than 1,000usd. you can always upgrade to apogee's converters, and the rme's are still gonna be quite useful. i think the analog processors are the ones that are gonna eat up much of your financial muscle... haha.

============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2007, 02:25:07 PM »
Mastering doesn't involve multi-input converters especially if one will be working with mixed stereo wav stems. No A/D conversion there since only file transfers are involved. If anything, multiple outputs are more important especially if one is eventually mastering to 5.1 or 7.1 surround.

One card I would love to have for mastering would be the Lynx 22, although it is only 2in/2out. If I were to GAS right now for a particular multi-I/O converter, it would be Prism Sound's Orpheus.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2007, 02:42:23 PM »
...or the one of universal audio...
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2007, 08:56:24 AM »
OT:  im beginning to like the fireface after over a year of fumbling around with it.  i can definitely, definitely say that the converters are pretty darn good side by side m-audio (i have a pci version).  the preamps are not bad either. they're a little stale but if you wanna capture clean colorless signals, theyre the way to go. 

as far as mastering is concerned, i know zach was selling DAC units a couple of years ago and he might be able to help.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline jplacson

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2007, 12:11:35 PM »
Back on topic... Having multi-independent monitors, comps, etc... is all fine and good for concerts/gigs with budgets... but for those experienced sound gurus... what can you recommend for event organizers with less than P10k to spend on a full stage setup? (which is usually the case locally) this is for lights, band equipment, PA, mics... would you sacrifice fidelity for db?
DOPPLER AUDIO