hulika

Author Topic: Just a suggestion guys: How about an overdrive and distortion pedal tone party?  (Read 43532 times)

Offline markflo

« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2007, 02:59:14 AM »
Someone bring a bb preamp!
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline markflo

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2007, 03:00:11 AM »
Naks. Feeling kasali ako no? Haha
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Suggestion....

OUTPUT: Sound files :D

Sa mga nag-eexpect ng sound clips... Matrabaho yan, di lang ung actual pag record, pati ung pag edit, cut-up, at 'post-prod', posting etc ng sound files.  And since the shootout/tone party will be less than ideal conditions for recording, I think there'll be no substitute to actually being there. 

Baka mamaya magpost ng soundclips tapos sabihin nyo naman, ay pangit kasi ung recording kaya di maganda tunog nung manok kong pedal.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sali aku !!!!

I'll be bringing modded pedals muna. Pwera lang if this is further away and maybe I can whip up something or two.

My Pokemons ;
Boston DS100
Boston HM100 (Bakero)
Boston OD100
Vshock SD100 (actually ke RonnieA to e)
Maybe a Zoom G2 or G1 na me kalikot :D. Hey nobody said nothing about analog or digital :D
Ibanez TS7
Modded Xtortion
My Recto Boss DS1.
Anton's Bakemono DS1
Boss MT2

I'm not sure lang if the 9 o clock 12 o clock thing is a good idea. After all, these are all different pokemons. Pero sige lang, I understand the spirit of wanting to be even across the board.

Wala bang lakas ng palakpak na kasama sa criterion ? :D

BAMF, DIYers, and fans of Kalikot, Keeley, Analogman, etc -

May I humbly suggest we do a separate tone party/shootout of modded or DIY pedals, both local and international?  It'd be a nice exercise in and of itself.

In fact, I'm starting to think that we should really limit the shootout to either OD or distortion pedals lang muna.  From the suggested pedals, I can see a very broad spectrum.  Enuff for some of you to say afterwards, "Well, apples and oranges e."
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 07:26:46 AM by deltaslim »

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Delta -- Also, try the pedals with a few common guitar types -- strat, LP, etc. -- to see how the pedals take single-coils, hums, etc.

Onga pala!  We can go about this in either of two ways:

1. Do the shootout just for Fender/single coil guitars, then do another round for LP/HB guitars.  You can do as many rounds as you have guitar or pickup types.

2. Pair the single coil guitar with the clean amp and pair the humbucker with the dirty amp.

I like option #2 better cuz that's usually the setup naman e -- the pop/blues/jazz guy vs the rock-metal guy.  :-)

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
Sali aku !!!!

I'll be bringing modded pedals muna. Pwera lang if this is further away and maybe I can whip up something or two.

My Pokemons ;
Boston DS100
Boston HM100 (Bakero)
Boston OD100
Vshock SD100 (actually ke RonnieA to e)
Maybe a Zoom G2 or G1 na me kalikot :D. Hey nobody said nothing about analog or digital :D
Ibanez TS7
Modded Xtortion
My Recto Boss DS1.
Anton's Bakemono DS1
Boss MT2

I'm not sure lang if the 9 o clock 12 o clock thing is a good idea. After all, these are all different pokemons. Pero sige lang, I understand the spirit of wanting to be even across the board.

Wala bang lakas ng palakpak na kasama sa criterion ? :D

Naku hahaha ang dami naman nyan! Ubos ang oras natin kung itetest lahat ng fleet mo :lol: Bring a couple of your meanest mods and we're good to go :)

Oo nga pala, kailangan may limit ng number of pedals na kasama. Say we limit it to 15 or less?
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline Kulas

yup tama, dapat assorted guitars din, hehe. both single coils and buckers. kung may makakadala ng P90 equipped guitar, ayos din, hehe.

and yeah yung mga modded siguro pwede na rin isabay, pero priority yung mga stock effects, either boutique or non-boutique.

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
May date na ba ito?

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
As of now, naghahanap pa rin ako ng magandang venue and time. Kaya siguro within the month! Kailangan rin ng cameraman :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
As of now, naghahanap pa rin ako ng magandang venue and time. Kaya siguro within the month! Kailangan rin ng cameraman :)

Kmi na kulas yan hehehehe....

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline chito_eoi

• Philmusicus Addictus
susmaryosep!
5 pages in less than 24 hours

set the schedule guys!!!... sagot ko kalahating case  :-D

Offline leech

• Philmusicus Addictus
Hindi naman siguro... Meron sa ishibashi ngayon, mga 60,000 yen. Hehehe - scheming, scheming...  :-D I hope that the guy with the Tone czar Openhaus pedal can also make it - saw a thread about it before here in the forum. Meron din bang naka Landgraff dito? Labas na lahat ng mga babies nyo!  :evil:

I also hope to see some DIY's

Cheers!

sige bro , dalhin ko yung Openhaus . :-)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 09:30:44 AM by leech »
...the strong take from the weak...but the wise take from the strong...

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
Pao, pwede ba i-hold yung event sa bar nyo? Hehe :)

Offline Gibson78

• Veteran Member
sige bro , dalhin ko yung Openhaus . :-)

Ahaha! Ikaw pala yun Sir Leech! I want to hear how it stacks up against some of the tube OD's. Ganda niyan!

Cheers!

Offline kamots

Kung medyo malapit ung lugar at ok ung sched I can bring a Marshall Drivemaster and Blues Breaker (the old ones). Gusto ko din marinig how these compare to other dirt pedals.
walang maisip

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Para medyo umusad naman tayo, can you guys please confirm :

1. kung ok na yung shootout guidelines/scoring system (incl. my suggestion re Strat/SC and LP/HB tests)
2. if we should focus on OD pedals only or OD+disto na agad
3.  if we should do a separate shootout for DIY/modded pedals

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
Not so sure about the guidelines. I think the "set settings" is kidna  a bad idea because pedals react differently and ones strength might be the weakness in another. Anyway, suggest ko lang, why dont you have the owner dial in the pedal for 3 sounds on a relatively clean amp. One for slight OD, one for Crunch and one for Chug.

No need for hi gain coz you really wouldnt use an OD or DIST for a hi gain ammp. You'ld be more likely to use a boost. I think best amp to bring in would be a nice bassman or something like that.

On a side note .. not to be part of the scoring system. I can bring a good hi gain amp to sort of see how the peds would match up to the real thing. Its not to be scored... but more to see if they can reach tube amp gain.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Not so sure about the guidelines. I think the "set settings" is kidna  a bad idea because pedals react differently and ones strength might be the weakness in another. Anyway, suggest ko lang, why dont you have the owner dial in the pedal for 3 sounds on a relatively clean amp. One for slight OD, one for Crunch and one for Chug.

No need for hi gain coz you really wouldnt use an OD or DIST for a hi gain ammp. You'ld be more likely to use a boost. I think best amp to bring in would be a nice bassman or something like that.

On a side note .. not to be part of the scoring system. I can bring a good hi gain amp to sort of see how the peds would match up to the real thing. Its not to be scored... but more to see if they can reach tube amp gain.

Miks - Thanks for the inputs!  Now we're moving forward on substantive issues. :-)

I agree each pedal will have their own unique travel, quirks, and sweet spots.  Good suggestion to have the owner of the pedal tweak his pedal and give 3 different settings.  But I would suggest this:
1.  slightly breakup or boost
2.  medium gain (blues-rock, rock n roll)
3.  hi gain (hard rock, metal? so kasama na rito yung chug-chug, i guess?  i think marami pa rin dito rely on pedals for their hi-gain needs, not really boost+amp lang.  but, i've been known to be wrong many times so...)

Re using one clean (Fender-type) amp: I think that's ok and I actually prefer to keep it simple and quick. But many here will ask, "What about us Marshall half-stack guys?"

Good idea to bring a high gain amp for comparison to the pedals.  Maybe before each pedal is pulled out, there's a quick comparison w/ the tube amp with unity volume and eq balance.  BUT I do suggest it be included in the scoring system.  We can add a column specifically for that. Something like "Tubularity" :-D

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: ...
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2007, 12:37:17 PM »
Someone bring a bb preamp!
I'll bring mine. :-D

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Ahaha! Ikaw pala yun Sir Leech! I want to hear how it stacks up against some of the tube OD's. Ganda niyan!

Cheers!
Sa soundclips ko lang narinig yung Openhaus. Ang bangis! I like the Exp pedal input. :-)

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
susmaryosep!
5 pages in less than 24 hours

set the schedule guys!!!... sagot ko kalahating case  :-D
Baka manood nalang tayo nyan. :lol:

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
I'd like to see din if my hot air is worth the hot air hehehe.

Of course I'd like to see if I was mistaken when I said my Bakero will bayonet a Fulltone Fulldrive.

Of course you have to include modded and DIY'ed pedals. Otherwise, it will also just be another "museum exhibit" event. There is no real shootout or competition because these guys who made the pedals are not us. And if any, it will just amount na...okay others can try and hear it, pero yun na lang yun. There is no real accomplishment except the ability to buy their stuff. No real shootout. What if we include in the agenda the local modder and DIY'ers capability to kick their stuff in the arse ?

No nothing against them of course, the statement above is just a figure of speech. But if one wants to succeed, he has to benchmark himself with the incumbent bests and see how he stacks up.

By the way, hindi ako agree na tube amps ang gagamitin. That's one of the things I noticed with Monte Allums...he soundclips his stuff with very nasty tube amps. These already have been tuned to their various voices and there's a chance that even a sh*tty pedal will sound good. Dapat a very transparent solid state amp ang gamitin, like a Yamaha J35. I happen to have one.

If you exclude modded and DIY'ed pedals...hmp...gear snobs :D

:D :D

Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline voidmain

• Philmusicus Addictus
Haha, true po. Kaso we still can't discount the fact that some pedals do react wayyy differently when faced with different amps.
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
I'd like to see din if my hot air is worth the hot air hehehe.

Of course I'd like to see if I was mistaken when I said my Bakero will bayonet a Fulltone Fulldrive.

Of course you have to include modded and DIY'ed pedals. Otherwise, it will also just be another "museum exhibit" event. There is no real shootout or competition because these guys who made the pedals are not us. And if any, it will just amount na...okay others can try and hear it, pero yun na lang yun. There is no real accomplishment except the ability to buy their stuff. No real shootout. What if we include in the agenda the local modder and DIY'ers capability to kick their stuff in the arse ?

No nothing against them of course, the statement above is just a figure of speech. But if one wants to succeed, he has to benchmark himself with the incumbent bests and see how he stacks up.

By the way, hindi ako agree na tube amps ang gagamitin. That's one of the things I noticed with Monte Allums...he soundclips his stuff with very nasty tube amps. These already have been tuned to their various voices and there's a chance that even a sh*tty pedal will sound good. Dapat a very transparent solid state amp ang gamitin, like a Yamaha J35. I happen to have one.

If you exclude modded and DIY'ed pedals...hmp...gear snobs :D

:D :D

LOL!   

So Jobet, having said that, ano suggestion mo to make the whole thing a little more organized, focused, and doable?   We can't have too many pedals all at once and as much as possible we should strive to compare apples to apples, oranges to oranges, etc.  Ok ba kung OD pedals lang muna, then by type: eg, bowteek TS vs. stock TS vs. DIY/modded TS type pedals? 

The DIY/modder clone vs cloned pedal shootout is a great idea.  Kung ganun, i-identify at i-source na ung mga magkatunggali bowteek pedals (sino ung owners?) and the corresponding DIY/modders pedals trumped to beat them.  For eg,

BAMFx FD2 clone (c/o Jobet) vs. Kalikot Audio FD2 clone (c/o Justin) vs. real mosfet FD2 (c/o vjoe, etc)!

Others are welcome to give inputs.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 03:18:56 PM by deltaslim »

Offline voidmain

• Philmusicus Addictus
Bro, wala pa kong FD-2!!!

Still paying for it at sa katapusan ko pa makukuha.
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20