hulika

Author Topic: I officially declare Zoom as the king of cheese  (Read 20547 times)

Offline chadrobles

• Forum Fanatic
Re: I officially declare Zoom as the king of cheese
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2008, 03:05:09 PM »
Patch changes are less noticeable compared to my previous AX.... and Di.... Likewise, tails of sustained notes on a number of my delay and flange settings remain unaffected when I change patches, having a bit natural release from the current patch to the next. This is important to me as the current band I'm playing with requires me to use a number of modulation adding layers to each song. I usually use 4-5 tones per song, so a seamless transition is necessary for me.

I still use other pedals to compliment these, i.e. volume pedal, boost, etc. that I need depending on the stage set-up, room acoustic, & stuff, as multi-effects still tend to sound different in various amps, guitars, and other situations. Hope this helps. :-)

Bottom line for me is that I, not the effects, have to make it work. I could have had a Mesa Boogie Mark IV in front of me with my PRS hollowedbody or '59 Strat yet don't know how to compliment a single song. I went through the motion of spending quality time with the instruments and be a musician more than a technician.  :-)

I recently had a jamming session with Jun Lopito. He sounded almost the same wherever he plugged in and in whatever guitar was available....  :-)

seemless patch change pala, just like the RP... :-D

i guess that's what makes it digital chief.you can't do that w/ analog e.

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2008, 03:55:06 PM »
I've given up.  These things really worsen the signal chain.  You have a glorious sound coming from your guitar directly to your amp, and once you start putting any Zoom product between the guitar and amp, the signal degrades so badly, that you can start hearing 10111111010101010101001 10111111010101010101001 1111111010101010101001 101111110101010101111101 quality in your signal.  Mics cannot lie.  Presence and organic-ness is lost instantly.

I have yet to see Zoom come up with something like a TC Electronics product.

Or why not just go direct to the board?
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline Bel Sayson

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2008, 04:50:02 PM »
seemless patch change pala, just like the RP... :-D

i guess that's what makes it digital chief.you can't do that w/ analog e.

Haha. :lol: Ang layo naman ng music genre natin, bro. Super galing ka eh, kaya nga kinuha kita sa...

I remember this big event where I did a session to this pa-cutams solo artist using the old "abcd" multi-effects. We were required to perform two songs only so there was no need for me to bring all the gear. My patch changes from verses to chorus and bridge using different tones was noticeable in that big open door venue that I literally had to physically adjust my guitar and amp settings after a couple of bars on each song. Clean to distortion was easy, but distorted tone to delay with reverb, then harmonizer with distortion etc. and back to clean distancing only a couple of bars from each other was a nightmare. Nagbabago pa level settings, biglang lumalakas then humihina, so... Plus because of the bright spot lights in the big arena, I somewhat was blinded and cannot clearly see the pedal's led display.

Unlike the Zoom I'm using now. Like I said, I had my qualms in using it but so far, it has been good to me. The delay I use in a song's bridge section retains and the tails of the sustained notes "cooly" disappear while I switch to other distortion or clean channel. Di sya biglang titigil...  :-)

But of course, if you will give me one of your customized sets, I'd gladly take it anytime.

Offline chadrobles

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2008, 05:22:28 PM »
Haha. :lol: Ang layo naman ng music genre natin, bro. Super galing ka eh, kaya nga kinuha kita sa...

I remember this big event where I did a session to this pa-cutams solo artist using the old "abcd" multi-effects. We were required to perform two songs only so there was no need for me to bring all the gear. My patch changes from verses to chorus and bridge using different tones was noticeable in that big open door venue that I literally had to physically adjust my guitar and amp settings after a couple of bars on each song. Clean to distortion was easy, but distorted tone to delay with reverb, then harmonizer with distortion etc. and back to clean distancing only a couple of bars from each other was a nightmare. Nagbabago pa level settings, biglang lumalakas then humihina, so... Plus because of the bright spot lights in the big arena, I somewhat was blinded and cannot clearly see the pedal's led display.

Unlike the Zoom I'm using now. Like I said, I had my qualms in using it but so far, it has been good to me. The delay I use in a song's bridge section retains and the tails of the sustained notes "cooly" disappear while I switch to other distortion or clean channel. Di sya biglang titigil...  :-)

But of course, if you will give me one of your customized sets, I'd gladly take it anytime.

no offense meant chief. :-)

typo correction dun sa "SEAMLESS" patch change.

baka may spelling nazi on the loose. :-D

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2008, 06:35:38 PM »
Or why not just go direct to the board?

Do you want me to sound like Aegis?

Offline mcf

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2008, 07:47:16 PM »

baka may spelling nazi on the loose. :-D

hmph...
Please read our Service Policy.

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2008, 07:49:21 PM »

Since when is going straight to the board an option in recording, anyway? Recording na nga lang e, titipirin mo pa.  :lol:

Pwede ka naman mag Sansamp, pwede ka naman mag V-amp, pwede ka naman mag-mic ng real amp, pwede ka naman mag-POD. Heck, pwede ka nga mag-Guitar Rig 3 e.

Aegis? Guitar--->Ds-1--->Mixer? Hahaha...  Straight to the board for the...
EPIC FAIL!

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2008, 08:01:27 PM »
My first and only Zoom was tha 9000 series. It's OD/Dist are crap,but put a marshall shredmaster in front of it,now that's a different story. Modulations are average but not [gooey brown stuff].(the 9000,that is) I bought the thing because it's light,cheap,has a foot controller and a headphone out. That was my main rig  :-D when i was living in the US before.(ayaw ng tito ko ingay e)

When i came home,i plugged it straight to my marshall master reverb and put a shredmaster in front and it rocks!

itchybrain

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2008, 10:11:51 PM »
I love my Zoom 505. I Love to burn it. Yes, it sounded like Bart's "blidididipipplidididi-plid-plid" plus the "trrrrrrruuuu-lllliiiiiii-hrrruuuu" of dial-up. And, by the way, what's with cheese anyway? I love cheese. The poor, hapless cheese. Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 10:13:31 PM by itchybrain »

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2008, 11:26:46 PM »

Coz you said it yourself, you have a good guitar and a good amp to record with, why would you put a multieffect betwwen the chain? The guitar and the amp is good enough to record with, this would depend on how you record with your amp with mic positioning.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline danleo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2008, 11:58:20 PM »
I"m just an average musician with less budget for gears. I use ZOOM G1 and Boston Engineering DS-100 and OD-100. G1 works great for me. I don't really find it very digital comapring to old zoom products. The modulation, reverb, delays and ZNR works great and there are some Dirt tones that I love to use for rythmn. But the dirt tones arent really transparent for lead stuff and I use my OD-100 and DS-100 for lead kasi their transparent enough for me. I just combine the analog and multi and it does a fine job. But if I could afford better gears I'll really go for it. :)
You may say I\'m a dreamer. But I\'m not the only one. I know someday you\'ll join us and the world will live as one...

Offline Perf_De_Castro

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2008, 12:08:22 AM »
Francis M's "Luv 4 Lyf" was recorded with an RJ guitar through a Zoom GFX 8 direct to board.

It doesn't sound like Aegis.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2008, 12:32:16 AM »
Francis M's "Luv 4 Lyf" was recorded with an RJ guitar through a Zoom GFX 8 direct to board.

I officially declare this statement as the.....ELEVENTH COMMANDMENT 8-)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline balta

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2008, 12:41:41 AM »
ultra. fuzz.
power. drive.

nuff said.

amen to nathan

lets not typecast all zoom products as similar to the zoom multi ones

especially
zoom's best kept secret
the
ultra fuzz !
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 12:54:04 AM by balta »

Offline namida

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2008, 01:20:16 AM »
I've been using a zoom g2 for about a couple of years now. Not the greatest thing out there but I'm convinced that it has its merits. I don't however use its amp sims. But it seems that the trick to getting good sounds out of it (for me) is to use the effects judiciously and spend some time tweaking it. And at least, be prepared to tweak it a bit in whatever situation you are in because difference in amps and stuff does affect it like everything else and be wary of the zoom units EQ setting and the amps EQ tendencies.

It can be cheesey like the OP has described but its not particularly a choice that everyone can make no matter how rewarding better gears can be. And of course, how would you argue with Perf or Francis Reyes results with them? It's not the best, may not be better for me, but it gets some jobs done and I'm glad its there.

"Ano man ang iyong ginagawa sa iyong kapatid, ay siya ring ginagawa mo sa akin" --Yano

Home Recordings ->> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=480230  My Band ->>

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2008, 01:44:43 AM »
But that doesn't add up and address the point made.

"Why not just go straight to the board" meant no nothing, no Zoom, and naked, direct to the mixer. i.e. no amp modeling.

The "GFX-8 straight to the board" means amp modeling and recording options from the Zoom unit.

The former is what's supposed to sound like Aegis; not the latter.

And besides, you're Perf de Castro. Di hamak na mas magaling ang daliri mo sa amin.  :lol: We don't have the ability to make cheap gear sound magical, not for at least maybe 20 more years of playing.  :lol: That's why Zoom CAN'T work for us....though it doesn't sound like Aegis....it doesn't sound like Guthrie Govan either.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 01:48:08 AM by chromeknive »

Offline bloodshedd

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2008, 01:45:07 AM »

Amen...

"I officially declare Zoom as the king of cheese" ----Well wat d heck...I'll just pull out my PRS Modern Eagle and plug that to my Mesa Boogie Blue Angel and my good old Marshall JCM900.

Seriously... I think that sounding good or bad can also depend on how a piece of equipment is used. Come to think about it that Joe Satriani used a Rockman and a Boss pedal for recording "Not Of This Earth" and "Surfing with The Alien" when it was considered as sacrilege. He did sound great right???

Another thing is that a lot of people tend to use multi-effects to make their lives a little bit easier.  My bandmate uses a G2 live but he has more than 20 stompboxes and a Marshall amp... If I'll wire up the things that we want to use then we would probably end up being FRED ASTAIRE... besides, setting up 12 stomps and bringing your amp is overkill for gigs..."Hey guys, just take a cab coz I got to haul all my gear eh!"

Besides... everything we put in the signal path affects our sound but if something sounds good then it sounds good.

***I dont have any amps or a PRS guitar but I have used them, played on them, have been recorded playing them and have recorded them...

****And you should probably change your thread title because its sort of not polite...
                What if I start a thread about recording like...  "I officially declare DAW recording as BLASPHEMY (gasp!) to SOUND!!!(I use my good old API console and STUDER 24 track Analog Recorder and I think DAWs are just for lazy folks who do not want to have to demagnetize tape heads and splice tape)"  hahaha! I might be laughing but someone might find it not polite...

----my 2 cents
For JB MUSIC AND SPORTS' big discounts and 0% installment deals.... Check out https://www.facebook.com/JBMusicPh

Contact JB MUSIC ALABANG TOWN CENTER @ 809-1726 and 842-9545  Check out BADBURN @ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Badburn/114672008558924?ref=

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2008, 01:59:47 AM »
Amen...

"I officially declare Zoom as the king of cheese" ----Well wat d heck...I'll just pull out my PRS Modern Eagle and plug that to my Mesa Boogie Blue Angel and my good old Marshall JCM900.

Seriously... I think that sounding good or bad can also depend on how a piece of equipment is used. Come to think about it that Joe Satriani used a Rockman and a Boss pedal for recording "Not Of This Earth" and "Surfing with The Alien" when it was considered as sacrilege. He did sound great right???

Another thing is that a lot of people tend to use multi-effects to make their lives a little bit easier.  My bandmate uses a G2 live but he has more than 20 stompboxes and a Marshall amp... If I'll wire up the things that we want to use then we would probably end up being FRED ASTAIRE... besides, setting up 12 stomps and bringing your amp is overkill for gigs..."Hey guys, just take a cab coz I got to haul all my gear eh!"

Besides... everything we put in the signal path affects our sound but if something sounds good then it sounds good.

***I dont have any amps or a PRS guitar but I have used them, played on them, have been recorded playing them and have recorded them...

****And you should probably change your thread title because its sort of not polite...
                What if I start a thread about recording like...  "I officially declare DAW recording as BLASPHEMY (gasp!) to SOUND!!!(I use my good old API console and STUDER 24 track Analog Recorder and I think DAWs are just for lazy folks who do not want to have to demagnetize tape heads and splice tape)"  hahaha! I might be laughing but someone might find it not polite...

----my 2 cents

What are you going on about, sir?
Can you really tweak out signal degradation, specifically A/D/A converstion degradation? You say "if it sounds good, it sounds good"... he said it doesn't sound good to him nga e. May degradation nga sa signal path nya e. Hindi pasado sa kanya at sa recording standards n'ya at iba ang standards mo.

I don't get why you have to be sarcastic or play the "financial" card at all, either.

Who cares about Joe Satriani? The threadstarter isn't dissing you or anyone else for using Zoom. It doesn't work for him...and he stated why. It doesnt sound satisfactory to some of us or we don't have Joe Sat or Perf skills. Sorry po!

We aren't at all like someone who thinks all you 99% people suck for not having THE ULTIMATE GUITAR.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 02:12:22 AM by chromeknive »

Offline bloodshedd

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2008, 02:28:37 AM »
Cool lang bro...I'm trying to sort of joke about it...

And to straigthen it out eh I was joking about the PRS, MESA and Marshall... I dont own any of them... ok?? (Please re-read the post)

You cant tweak out degradation (cables, pedals and etc) )but if the end results sounds good then it is good.
For JB MUSIC AND SPORTS' big discounts and 0% installment deals.... Check out https://www.facebook.com/JBMusicPh

Contact JB MUSIC ALABANG TOWN CENTER @ 809-1726 and 842-9545  Check out BADBURN @ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Badburn/114672008558924?ref=

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2008, 02:52:00 AM »
Cool lang bro...I'm trying to sort of joke about it...

And to straigthen it out eh I was joking about the PRS, MESA and Marshall... I dont own any of them... ok?? (Please re-read the post)

You cant tweak out degradation (cables, pedals and etc) )but if the end results sounds good then it is good.

Yeah, sir. Cool lang po.  :-)

And if it doesnt sound, good then its not good. For the threadstarter and for me in most cases, it doesnt sound good.

Offline Perf_De_Castro

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2008, 03:03:11 AM »
But that doesn't add up and address the point made.

"Why not just go straight to the board" meant no nothing, no Zoom, and naked, direct to the mixer. i.e. no amp modeling.

The "GFX-8 straight to the board" means amp modeling and recording options from the Zoom unit.

The former is what's supposed to sound like Aegis; not the latter.

My understanding of going direct to the board is to bypass the guitar amp, hence my reply. And the subject of the whole discussion is Zoom, not the Boss DS-1.

And besides, you're Perf de Castro. Di hamak na mas magaling ang daliri mo sa amin.  :lol: We don't have the ability to make cheap gear sound magical, not for at least maybe 20 more years of playing.  :lol: That's why Zoom CAN'T work for us....though it doesn't sound like Aegis....it doesn't sound like Guthrie Govan either.

Well, that's a f*ckin cop-out!

If you're all for buying your sound instead of working for it, go on right ahead. But don't tell me that my set of hands are different than anybody else's. And I'm confirming it right now, I don't have special powers.

Don't cite me as an excuse for anybody's ineptitude.

While I'm not striving to sound like Guthrie (never heard of him until around 2005, where'd that comment come from?), I pulled out my sound out of that allegedly crappy Zoom product, despite not going through the "accepted" (sic) signal route.

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2008, 03:08:26 AM »
Basta ang alam kon zoom ay...

Zoooooom
Just one look and then my heart went boom
And suddenly we were on the moon
Flying high in the midnight ska-ha-hay
Wo-wo-wo-wo

:-D

Offline bloodshedd

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2008, 03:14:23 AM »
Well everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion (plus I've also heard multi-fx settings that sounds wrong)... Actually in regards to recording, it would be better to have the real thing but not everyone has a lot of amps/effects hence the use of multifx or DAW plug-ins...

---the title bugs me though... It would have been much more polite if it was "Zoom versus the REAL THING"

di ba??

Offline kimBuhain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2008, 03:46:26 AM »
I think here's the argument that firemodel always says here.  He doesn't believe in kanya-kanya.  What he believes is that people pursue tone but because of limitations in budget AND experience, some folks tend to appreciate the cheaper things thinking they are just as good as the more expensive ones. Zoom is cheap, but if you invest on better pedals and a killer amp, there's exactly no reason why you should use a Zoom in your signal chain especially for dirt sounds.  The modulations have improved though.

I personally think "kanya-kanya" is true, however, we cannot discount that our own personal tastes are strongly related to each other.  Do you like the Rectifier emulations in your G2?  I presume when you own a real recto, you'll never go back to your G2.  So where does the "kanya-kanya" argument come in?  The inexperienced G2 user thought that it was excellent enough to deliver the goods, not until he switched to a real rectifier amp. 

also a factor budget and experiences,.personally i don't own all the money in the world to buy every guitar pedal,.guitar,.amp,.etc. to tell which is the best and which one suck.

ang dating kasi sakin ng stement na to is:

"the more expensive your gear are,.the greater your tone or the better your sound"

maybe you "found" the "holy grail" something that is alot better(and a lot more expensive) than the zoom

because the title may also be synonymous to "i officially declare that zoom USERS as the kings of cheese" 

but i think the threadsetter should try to consider the unexperienced ones and the tight budget ones

2 kinds of zoom users:
 1. as you said the inexperienced ones who just thinks that g2 ,.g7 or g9 is a GREAT upgrade

2. the experienced ones (na halos pwede nang maging columnist ng isang guitar magazine,kasi nasubukan na niya lahat guiar pedals,.multi,.guitar,.amps) and can tell the character of each one,.but still consider the ZOOM as a decent multi that may NOT give you the greatest tone,.but atleast give you a "decent"
sound.

opinion lang mga sir,.salamat! :-)

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2008, 04:27:50 AM »

My understanding of going direct to the board is to bypass the guitar amp, hence my reply. And the subject of the whole discussion is Zoom, not the Boss DS-1.

Well, that's a f*ckin cop-out!

If you're all for buying your sound instead of working for it, go on right ahead. But don't tell me that my set of hands are different than anybody else's. And I'm confirming it right now, I don't have special powers.

Don't cite me as an excuse for anybody's ineptitude.

While I'm not striving to sound like Guthrie (never heard of him until around 2005, where'd that comment come from?), I pulled out my sound out of that allegedly crappy Zoom product, despite not going through the "accepted" (sic) signal route.

Well we understood "direct to the board" differently then. My mentioning the DS-1 is to illustrate a setup without amp emulation or recording options. I don't see how that can be irrelevant to the topic at hand. I hope I made it clear now.

Who ever said I or anybody here is "buying" their sound? Are you telling us that is complete rubbish and invalid that we find something off with using a certain product? If we happen to notice unpleasant artifacts coming from Zoom products, and we choose not to use them, is that completely beyond your or anyone else's understanding?

Au contraire, I do "work for my sound". I do it the hard way by micing my amp, finding the right mic placement and raw tone to begin with. I try to record my guitar the hard way without too many effects and "daya". Mind you, in certain perspectives, using modelers such as Zoom pedals are in fact, the "shortcuts". I don't see how choosing NOT to use Zoom pedals can be viewed as "buying your sound" as opposed to "working for it".

Since when is choosing not to use a Zoom product "ineptitude"?

I'm not making excuses. What I'm saying is there are things we don't like about Zoom products. And I, personally, don't like using it for recording. And if you have a way of making it work for you, okay, great. Pero kung ayaw ko, ayaw ko e. My point in saying you are more skilled than I am in guitar playing and in recording, experience-wise, means that if you have a way of making Zoom pedals work for you, GREAT, because it just happens to not work for me.

Yeah, you pulled out your sound from your Zoom product. What if that sound isn't good enough for me or for what I want? That isn't by any means automatically ineptitude, right?

Since we more or less all agree that sound and tone is largely subjective, how can you attempt to disprove our preference for not having Zoom products in our recording chain?

And I'll tell you right now, I have much to learn, I'm young and I know for a clear as night and day fact that you are a better, more experienced guitar player than I am. That's not making an excuse for myself. That's being realistic and true to myself. That's a concept not too hard to swallow, right?

I just don't get it. The discussion is about preferences and what we don't like about Zoom products. Why has this devolved into another "TONE IS IN THE FINGERS" goddamned arguement?

If we were rich snobs who "buy our sounds" who don't "work for our sounds" why the heck would we even ATTEMPT to get good sounds out of Zoom products in the first place?

And I seriously take offense in your using the phrase "f*cking cop-out". I have great respect for you but I want you to know that it just sucks for a fan like me to be spoken to like that.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 04:38:03 AM by chromeknive »