hulika

Author Topic: Why George Harrison is considered underated as guitarist & song writer by many  (Read 9212 times)

Offline nhojie

• Forum Fanatic
he was my dad's favorite!

anyway, here was my "george" strat:

astig,bro! :evil:
\\\\\\\"watch a man play for an hour and u can learn more about him than in talking to him for a year\\\\\\\"-PLATO

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus

sticker lang ba yong george's strat bro?

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus

if you have time guys, you can watch george & Gary Moore trading licks on While my guitar gently weeps, live in london 1992 :-P utube

Offline ninejuicyjulius

• Banned from AGT
hindi ko pa talaga napakinggan lahat ng mga awit ni maestro Horhe, pero parang napansin ko sa mga napakinggan ko na, parang may mantra effect yung structure ng mga kanta niya. mantra effect in the sense na paulit-ulit yung ilang lines at saka chords na ginagamit. siguro impluwensiya na rin ng pagiging Hinduist niya.

eto pala yung mga songs na ginamit kong reference:

My Sweet Lord
All Those Years Ago
I Got My Mind Set On You
Isn't It A Pity
All Things Must Pass

and obviously, ito yung napick-up ng Oasis sa kanya. yung parang redundant na tunog na parang "uy, parang napakinggan ko na to ah" pero di mo lang alam o maalala kung saan.  :-D
Ows? Di nga?

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
you have a point bro

Offline rockyteer

• Veteran Member
Harrison's contributions to the Beatles catalog of songs are underrated . Sya madalas gumagawa ng mga counterpoint melodies sa mga Lennon-McCartney songs, with his guitar, backup vocals, or other instruments (the sitar comes to mind)

Example: In Help, listen to the backup "response" vocals to Lennon's singing in the  stanze. Galing.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
Harrison's contributions to the Beatles catalog of songs are underrated . Sya madalas gumagawa ng mga counterpoint melodies sa mga Lennon-McCartney songs, with his guitar, backup vocals, or other instruments (the sitar comes to mind)

Example: In Help, listen to the backup "response" vocals to Lennon's singing in the  stanze. Galing.

sa all my loving sya ang sumalo kay paul sa stanza after the first chorus para makakapag tenor si Paul. minsan nga magka boses pa..

Offline the_godfather

• Philmusicus Addictus
It's true that George Harrison is underrated. Kung napanood nyo yung Beatles Anthology, sinabi nya tsaka ni Ringo na it's hard to nring up your songs when you have Lennon and McCartney. Kaya pati si Frank Sinatra nalito, sabi nya Something is the greatest love song written by Lennon and McCartney. haha.

Sa guitar skills naman, sya tsaka si Clapton nagpalakas ng loob ko na di kailangan ng bilis ng daliri or mag-shred to be considered na magaling na gitarista. Just your "Feel" for the music and emotions lang makakagawa ka ng magandang guitar solo tulda nila.  :-D
You...Soft and Lonely, You...Lost and Lonely, You...Just Like Heaven

Offline brianwilson

• Veteran Member
I'm fond of George's psychedelic stuff.

"The Inner Light" - Ang ganda ng melody. There's only one chord throughout parang sa "Tomorrow Never Knows" but he was still able to come up with a beautiful and haunting verse melody. Genius.

"Its All too Much" - PURE. SONIC. HEAVY. Ang galing! My Bloody Valentine? JAMC? Shoegaze? George started all that stuff.

"Blue Jay Way" - I love the hammond organ, the flangered vocal, everything.

"Only A Northern Song" - This one is really underrated. I love the mellotron, the kitchen-sink production. Ito na yata yung pinaka-psychedelic na Beatles song.

"Within You Without You" - I'm talking about the "remix" version on the LOVE album. That kicked serious ass!

Offline the_godfather

• Philmusicus Addictus
Ako yung Indian Stuffs nya ang gudto ko.  :-D

Offline gutz_3110

• Forum Fanatic
because he is the quiet beatle hehehe he shuns the limelight unlike lennon and mccartney. he is my favorite beatle  :-D

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
I'm fond of George's psychedelic stuff.

"The Inner Light" - Ang ganda ng melody. There's only one chord throughout parang sa "Tomorrow Never Knows" but he was still able to come up with a beautiful and haunting verse melody. Genius.

"Its All too Much" - PURE. SONIC. HEAVY. Ang galing! My Bloody Valentine? JAMC? Shoegaze? George started all that stuff.

"Blue Jay Way" - I love the hammond organ, the flangered vocal, everything.

"Only A Northern Song" - This one is really underrated. I love the mellotron, the kitchen-sink production. Ito na yata yung pinaka-psychedelic na Beatles song.

"Within You Without You" - I'm talking about the "remix" version on the LOVE album. That kicked serious ass!

good for you bro, you have learned to appreciate his Indian stuff,, hehe ako I'm  a big George Harrison fan since kid, but I really dislike these songs you've mentioned except the" Only Northern song".. Merong new wave band in the 80s that was inspired from this , halos katunog lang, I just cant recall the name of the group  now

Offline ninejuicyjulius

• Banned from AGT
sobrang peyborito ko din tong mga to! parang ang hirap tugtugin sa live ng It's All Too Much. :-D

ang gusto kong version ng Only a Northern Song yung nasa Anthology.

yung Blue Jay Way pag pinakikinggan ko, para na ring nakatira ako ng LSD. haha.

swak talaga yung ginawa ni Sir George Martin sa Tomorrow Never Knows/Within You Without You.
Ows? Di nga?

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus

watch george trading licks with Garry Moore, live in japan   youtube, ganda

Offline brianwilson

• Veteran Member
I really dislike these songs you've mentioned except the" Only Northern song"..

Why oh why??!!  :?  "The Inner Light" is probably my 2nd *ALL-TIME* fave Beatles track.

But I understand hehe. Well, horses for courses.

Offline brianwilson

• Veteran Member
sobrang peyborito ko din tong mga to! parang ang hirap tugtugin sa live ng It's All Too Much. :-D

One chord lang yung "It's All Too Much" pero kelangan ng maraming effects hehe.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
One chord lang yung "It's All Too Much" pero kelangan ng maraming effects hehe.

although I didn't like the melody too much, the lyrics are cleverly written by George

Offline rockyteer

• Veteran Member
All the world is birthday cake
so take a piece but not too much  :-D

Offline ninejuicyjulius

• Banned from AGT
so take a bite, it's all right...

ay maling thread.  :-D
Ows? Di nga?

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
akala ko si Harrison ang nag-invite kay Clapton.

What I've heard from a classic rock program was that when George wrote "While My Guitar...", the Beatles were at that stage wherein all four of them wanted to kill one another.  Since Paul and John didn't want to give George's song the time of day, naburat siya and called in Clapton to play on his song.  Initially Eric didn't want to do it.  Though he was "God", Eric felt that he didn't deserve to play with this well-known group (how humble could he be?).  George didn't want to hear any of that BS so he insisted that Eric play on that song.  That brought Paul and John to their senses (How could you say "no" to God?), and the rest is history. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 11:42:43 AM by Jaco D »

Offline Andro0721

George I think has his own version of While My Guitar gently Weeps - with him doing the lead - on the Anthology series cassette (Wala pa noong Myx, wala pa noong MTV. Hehehe.).

He's underrated because he doesn't want to be overly famous. I mean, look at John Lennon. What happened to him? Got shot at Central Park. Hehe.  :lol:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps is the best Harrison song for me. Second Something. Kahit si Clapton yung gumawa ng lead, you can feel the emotion. Kung papakinggan mo yung mga sulat na kanta ni pareng George, parang history ng The Beatles.
MoDUS ExPERIMENTUS ako

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
good for you bro, you have learned to appreciate his Indian stuff,, hehe ako I'm  a big George Harrison fan since kid, but I really dislike these songs you've mentioned except the" Only Northern song".. Merong new wave band in the 80s that was inspired from this , halos katunog lang, I just cant recall the name of the group  now

Now I got it.. Life in a Northern Town ang title at ang performer I'm not sure still Dream Academy? Right me if I'm wrong plss.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
George I think has his own version of While My Guitar gently Weeps - with him doing the lead - on the Anthology series cassette (Wala pa noong Myx, wala pa noong MTV. Hehehe.).

He's underrated because he doesn't want to be overly famous. I mean, look at John Lennon. What happened to him? Got shot at Central Park. Hehe.  :lol:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps is the best Harrison song for me. Second Something. Kahit si Clapton yung gumawa ng lead, you can feel the emotion. Kung papakinggan mo yung mga sulat na kanta ni pareng George, parang history ng The Beatles.

Perhaps this is true and it's not impossible because he plays lead guitar of the the most successful group the Beatles.. You should view his versions of this song at you tube.. live in london with Gary Moore & live in Japan with Eric Clapton. malamang ito yong dapat lead part nya sa white album. :-)

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus

he doesnt really want to be as famous as they are

Offline the_godfather

• Philmusicus Addictus
What I've heard from a classic rock program was that when George wrote "While My Guitar...", the Beatles were at that stage wherein all four of them wanted to kill one another.  Since Paul and John didn't want to give George's song the time of day, naburat siya and called in Clapton to play on his song.  Initially Eric didn't want to do it.  Though he was "God", Eric felt that he didn't deserve to play with this well-known group (how humble could he be?).  George didn't want to hear any of that BS so he insisted that Eric play on that song.  That brought Paul and John to their senses (How could you say "no" to God?), and the rest is history. 

Sa Anthology, sinabi nila na nung nrecord nila yung White Album (which includes While My Guitar...) eh may mga songs na nirecord nila ng hiwa-hiwalay. Si George sa studio na to, SI John sa ibang studio at si Paul sa iba rin. Kaya I believe this is true.