hulika

Author Topic: WHAT CAUSES DAMAGE TO SPEAKERS/TWEETERS??  (Read 6686 times)

Offline DarkHorse

WHAT CAUSES DAMAGE TO SPEAKERS/TWEETERS??
« on: April 15, 2008, 02:43:50 PM »
especially tweeters...what cud damage or say, kill it?...is setting up on a "series" connection damages it?
BE A DEMON HUNTER!

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
Re: WHAT CAUSES DAMAGE TO SPEAKERS/TWEETERS??
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 03:07:52 PM »
....when the amplified signal you feed to your speakers are beyond the wattage rating of the speaker...   drum n bass mixes...   wrong EQ.
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline superwup

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 03:38:02 PM »
I was thinking that mostly wrong wiring or when  your hot and cold signal having contact inside the connector did burn your speakers ?

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 05:13:58 PM »
Please click on the links below:

10 Common Mistakes That Can "Toast" Your Speakers and Diaphragms
Top 10 Ways To "TOAST" Speakers and Diaphragms
from Peavey Tech Notes

Danger: Low Power
Information on one of the most common causes of speaker failure -- (under powering)
from JBL Professional Technical Library

The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline DarkHorse

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 01:11:35 PM »
....when the amplified signal you feed to your speakers are beyond the wattage rating of the speaker...   drum n bass mixes...   wrong EQ.

can u trust yr ears on this?..i mean,,what if ur not liking what yr hearing?..so u need to adjust yr eq..specially for the drums..what if sa pandinig mo...di nmn over yung eq..and its not peaking naman or clipping sa mixing board?..so how will u know?

we just burned one tweeter of our peavey pr15 400 watts..and i was thinkin what went wrong..our soundman always sets it up on a series connection to the amp..is that ok?..is it not the culprit?
BE A DEMON HUNTER!

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 09:06:23 PM »
its really hard to say what happened to those tweeters. the spec sheet for your model mentions that it has "tweeter protection" so what could have happened?  dun sa links mentioned ni sir tarkuz refers to "underpowering" a speaker...

best thing to do is to have it checked by a qualified person. also the other speaker if this is a pair of identical speakers.
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline DarkHorse

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 03:34:48 PM »
di kc gumagana yung unang link ni sir tarks e...
BE A DEMON HUNTER!

Offline DarkHorse

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 03:59:06 PM »
ay..gumana na pala..its helpful..tnx a lot sir tarks...anyway...ganto kc..mejo nag away kmi ng soundman nmin dito...dhil nasirang tweeter...ng peavey pr15...ako kc music director sa church nmin...and i was tweaking the acoustic guitar channel...tpos pinaalis nya ko..dun n lng daw kmi sa stage wer we belong...nairita ko..tpos npunta kmi sa kung sinu nakakasira ng tweeter...sa inis ko nsbi ko n lng na "nasisira yan kasi lagi nyo sini-series!"...e kc lagi nmn tlgang natotoast e..tpos etong bagong PR15..natoast n nmn yung isa...and ever since naman sya magtimpla ng sound..palpak...wala syang sense of musical soundstaging...importante sa kanya maganda bumayo..ang babaw..feeling kc mgling na sya porkit me alam ng konti sa electronics and me mobile disco business...kaya gusto ko ako nagtitimpla ng sound namin bago ako pumanik sa stage..

anyway...parang pinalalabas nya na yung pag tweak ko ang nakakasira daw sa tweeter...e i know nmn whats use and abuse...madidinig m naman e...yun..nasigawan ko tuloy na "di ko kayo kelangan dito!"...kc parang minamaliit na ko e...

so im trying to prove my point lng na di kami ang nakakasira...and widen my knowledge tunkol dito...

anyway..back to yr post...this is our rig-

2 400 watts peavey pr15
2 350 watts soundtech cx10(ata)us made pa..not korea
2 1000 watts spl subs

1 1500 watts bts power amp
1 250 watts(ata) yamaha p2500 power amp
1 150 watts(ata) yamaha p1500 power amp

1 deton stereo crossover
1 dbx comp/gate
1 behringer xover din ata(composser xl ata i think)
m-audio dual eqs
2 soundtech eqs

...para lang me idea kayo...

tnx for the input...
BE A DEMON HUNTER!

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 05:28:52 PM »
It sounds like you need a Sound Contractor or Consultant to look at your PA system and determine why your tweeters got toasted. I am guessing that a complete system redesign may be in order.

What are the dimensions of the church (venue): length, width & height? Don't  worry if these are not precise, we can refine later if necessary.

If you have a peaked roof, what are the heights: from floor to peak of roof & from floor to top of sidewall?

What is the seating capacity of the church? (How many members attend on a regular basis?)

If you have acoustical information, it is a great help.

The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline DarkHorse

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 05:58:36 PM »
tnx sir tarks...

as of now kasi ginagawa pa yung actual place of worship namin so itong lugar namin mejo abnormal in size, shape and acoustics dahil temporary lang so ill try to take sum pics and post it para mkita mo...

anyway we are a 700-800 congregation church if it helps...

and im talking to an engineer from LOTA AUDIO...dito ko rin sya nakita sa phmusic para sa redesigning..wait ko pa mapprove and wait ko din yung actual place namin bago ko sya ikontract cguro kasi useless din kung lilipat din kmi pg nagawa na yung place ryt?..sayang lang bayad..mahal pa naman..hehe...

tnx uli sir..u guys are as always..of great help...godbless..
BE A DEMON HUNTER!

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 06:16:23 PM »
2 400 watts peavey pr15

front-of-house (FOH) ba ito?

what type of speaker, floor monitor? need more info & specs.

2 1000 watts spl subs

how many inches ang woofer? ano specs?

never heard of this brand. need more info and specs. is this for the subs, front-of-house (FOH) or floor monitors?

need more info. what exactly are the specs? is this for the floor monitors or front-of-house (FOH)?

need more info and exact specs, please. is this for the FOH or floor monitors?

1 deton stereo crossover

never heard of this brand. need more info.

1 dbx comp/gate

okay.

1 behringer xover din ata(composser xl ata i think)

what is this second crossover for, bi-amplified floor monitors?

m-audio dual eqs

never heard. need more info and specs, 1/3- or 2/3-octave? is this for FOH (front of house) or floor monitors?

2 soundtech eqs

1/3- or 2/3-octave? are these for floor monitors or FOH?

Parang underpowered nga ang sound system ninyo. Yung "engineer" from Lota Audio, si Erwin Balangue ba? Paki remind mo nga sa kanya na isoli naman ang hiniram niyang libro sa akin. Salamat!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 07:06:34 PM by Tarkuz Toccata »

Offline DarkHorse

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 08:43:22 AM »
hay..sir..di ako masyado maalam dito e..but ill try my best...dami e..kakahilo..hehe..

di ko alam kung si erwin sya..pero nagakakilala n kmi ni erwin dahil sa 1cubed tv..parang line producer ata sya dun or sound engineer..that was when i was tryin to get our band to 1cubed..bka 2 different persons sila..anyway..when i catch up with sir erwin ill let him know and let u know..
BE A DEMON HUNTER!

Offline DarkHorse

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 04:10:49 PM »
eto na sir mga pics ng gear....mejo mlabao lng..bulok..cell cam...hehe..pagchagaan n lng...

foh speakers==

processors, amps and eqs.==

the place==

hope this helps...
BE A DEMON HUNTER!

Offline fenderboyy

• Netizen Level
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 04:58:11 PM »
Hope this could help you sir. (Part 02 and Part 05)
http://www.electrovoice.com/tech-library.php?pt=general

Electro-Voice Live for Sound
DYNACORD Pro Music & Concert Sound
MIDAS Design for PURE PERFORMANCE KLARK TEKNIK Signal Processing  by Definition Smart no:0921-309441  Globe no:0917-6264100 Sun no:0923-6044992 Office no: 897-7777 loc. 9394

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 05:04:49 PM »
2 400 watts peavey pr15
2 1000 watts spl subs

alin power amp ang nagdra-drive sa peavey pr15, yung bts ba? ano exact model at specs ng bts?

Offline pizarro84

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 09:51:16 AM »
possible po kaya na may laging clipping na channel sa amp kaya nasira yung tweeter? parang duda po pati ako sa setting ng EQ, parang may artistic quality eh  :-D

Offline DarkHorse

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 09:54:20 AM »
@sir tarks

yes sir..yung bts..i think its a 1200 watt amp pala..600 watts per channel...BTS SPX1200...our soundman seriesed the connection btw...dont exactly know how it works...
BE A DEMON HUNTER!

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 11:58:34 AM »
yes sir..yung bts..i think its a 1200 watt amp pala..600 watts per channel...BTS SPX1200...our soundman seriesed the connection btw...dont exactly know how it works...

Power rating of BTW SPX1200 is 600 watts per channel into how many ohms, 8 or 4 or 2? What speakers are connected to the power amp? I am confused about the "series connection". Please clarify.

Offline DarkHorse

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 04:15:18 PM »
confused din ako series e...basta i know mas malakas ang output pag naka series...and sa malamang about the ohms..its on 8...
BE A DEMON HUNTER!

Offline pedge22

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 05:03:20 PM »
confused din ako series e...basta i know mas malakas ang output pag naka series...and sa malamang about the ohms..its on 8...

sa pagkakaalam ko po mas malakas ang output pag parallel kesa series speakers pero di dapat bababa sa 2ohms depende pa rin sa power rating ng amp.  :-D

Offline DarkHorse

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 05:36:33 PM »
hmm..ganun ba?..yun kc sbi nila e..yoko n mkpgtalo...kelangan sure muna ko sa nalalaman ko...update my mind...
BE A DEMON HUNTER!

Offline alkemi

• Netizen Level
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 08:46:02 PM »
sa tweeter,, isang matinding feedback gawa ng feedback sa signal sa board or sa mic na halos mabingi ka sa taas ng frequency ng feedback sound, chak sira ang tweeter ng speaker.

from experience, dalawa na narinig kong  naputukan ng tweeter..tweeter ng ns10 and tweeter ng alesis monitor one

pero teka, reading the thread, muka live application pala ...  yung series series nayan ang medyo diskumpayado ako.. yung wattage distribution ang problema din dyan..napunta tuloy sa tweeter ang wattage na hindi dapat.

especially tweeters...what cud damage or say, kill it?...is setting up on a "series" connection damages it?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 08:51:37 PM by alkemi »

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008, 11:10:18 PM »

When loudspeakers are wired in series, the impedance or opposition to current flow increases and less power is developed. An 8 ohm speaker and an 8 ohm speaker wired in series would result in 16 ohms of resistance to current flow.

When loudspeakers are wired in parallel, the opposition to current flow from the amplifier is decreased and more power is produced. Two 8 ohm speakers in parallel become 4 ohms.

Loudspeakers that PRODUCE music (guitar amplifier loudspeakers) are different from loudspeakers that REPRODUCE music (sound reinforcement loudspeakers). It is acceptable to wire guitar amp speakers in series and parallel configurations. However, sound reinforcement loudspeakers should not be wired in series, especially if the loudspeakers are intended to maintain a tight response on the low end for bass guitar or kick drum. In a woofer, series wiring-connected loudspeakers destroy the power amp's damping factor.

Quote from: Marty McCann, Peavey Electronics Corp.
Damping factor is defined as how well the power amp controls the load or the motion of the loudspeaker. When a high damping factor exists, the speaker is well-controlled (i.e. it moves as soon as the power amp asks it to and the speaker stops as quickly as it is told to). When the damping factor is lowered, the speaker doesn't respond as quickly and accurately to the demands of the power amp. Reduced damping factor results in muddy and undefined bass response.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2008, 07:46:37 AM »
Tarkuz, don't PAs come with passive crossover networks?
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline pizarro84

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2008, 06:31:14 PM »
sseing the pictures sir darkhorse, parang may artistic quality po yung setting ng EQ ng mains at monitors  :-D

Based sa link na binigay ni sir tarkuz, pili kong culprit sa setup nyo sir wrong EQ settings (parang sobrang daming naka dip na ibang frequencies po kasi at mukhang 10khz po yung emphasized and yung mga lower bass frequencies so sobrang layo ng gain nila nung ibang naka sagad sa baba. yung churchmate po namin na sound engineer may ganyang peavey din pero di ko pa po siya nakitaan ng ganyang EQ settings with artistic quality sa mga setup nya, and dapat po separate EQ's yung peavey at soundtech kasi makaiba ang tone sigurado nung speakers na yun) at malamang pati clipping signals (hunch lang po  :-)).

Buti na lang pala ako din ang sound engineer kuno sa church namin and at the same time in charge sa PNW kaya walang conflict :-D yung EQ po kasi namin pinapa-RTA namin sa churchmate namin na audio engineer talaga (mentor ko at madalas humahawak ng PA pag tumutugtog na kami), pero recently nasira yung setting kasi ginalaw ng mga bata habang nagja-jam kami after the service :-D

Tarkuz, don't PAs come with passive crossover networks?

Sa pagkakaalam ko po sir kit dapat lahat ng ok na brand na PA speakers may passive crossover, pero yung iba pwede i-bypass pag gagawing bi o tri-amp