hulika

Author Topic: The new Portishead album "THIRD"  (Read 2172 times)

Offline otistikako

The new Portishead album "THIRD"
« on: May 12, 2008, 03:41:34 PM »
What do you think? Post ur comments and reviews mga pare..  :mrgreen:
All these accidents,
That happen,
Follow the dot, Coincidence, Makes sense, Only with you, You don't have to speak, I feel.

Offline otistikako

Re: The new Portishead album "THIRD"
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 03:45:15 PM »
Here's my review:

More genteel and darker, Portishead’s Third feels like a timely comeback – a sort of reinvention of the almost dated Bristol-triphop sound into the psychedelic, art-rock terrain without abandoning the crushed and bruised Billie Holiday crooning of cabaret diva Beth Gibbons and the spooky, movie score indulgences of its beat alchemist Geoff Arrow. It’s ten years of waiting that makes this collection of brooding noir, a strange but satisfying welcome to fans of the pioneering triphop trio who once brought us the cinematic Dummyand the self-titled Portishead. Inevitably, it’s like aged wine with much savory taste and a lasting cloy, a determined quality that makes the long wait, a rewarding experience.

Instead of distancing into off-kilter territories, Third confidently draws its listener into its estranged homelessness, renewing trusts on its breathy spaces, bleakness and a stab at its distinct, hypnotic power. This is to say that fans and even non-fans would easily be captured by the mood it tries to convey, whether its Beth Gibbons recalling her morose times on “Silence” where she’s “fallen through changes” or her showcasing of undying optimism on the ukulele-driven, psychedelic folk number “Dark Water.”

More dissonant and noise-buried than its previous records, Third is compellingly a tribute to moods and jarring electronics. Its musical setting is more perverse than ever, opened to every complex possibilities like the militarist, industrial-stomp tracks in the mold of a darker Nine Inch Nails (“Machine Gun”), krautrock rhythms meets Bjork-Homogenic era (“We Carry On”) and the fragile, electro-psych ballads ala Goldfrapp (“The Rip”).

Yet despite layers of cacophonous noise and excessive experiments, Third is primarily a guitar-driven, ambient record heavy on electronic build-up and percussions, which emphasizes Gibbons’ emotive vocal delivery. Gibbons has always the lost soul that confided within the trenches of Portishead’s post-hiphop hype, and in Third, she makes use of her voice as the principal ornate force. On “The Rip,” she’s the ethereal Kate Bush trapped in a build up of progressive synths and drowning reverbs after free-flowing in languid, guitar pop that the song tries to evoke in first few minutes; while on “Threads,” she’s the sexy, angry beast that tries to outbreak into the cave layered with discordant electronics and tropicalia guitar samples while it slowly approaches the sketchy noise, the sirens, the piercing drumbreaks – where all the madness goes into ho-hum nightmare.

Of course without the studio wizardry of Geoff Arrow and the band’s resident multi-instrumentalist Adrian Utley, there would be no sickly wounded groove and dark electronic-opera as Third. It’s a celebrated effort, really – the death of triphop, a renewed confidence courtesy of their darker, more ambient sound, a comeback that would christen Portishead as 2008’s toughest avant-garde act to beat. No longer are they just triphop pioneers or music has-beens that we once worshipped. In fact, Portishead revolutionize its own mold, which is something monumental in pop music nowadays.
All these accidents,
That happen,
Follow the dot, Coincidence, Makes sense, Only with you, You don't have to speak, I feel.

Offline holy shiznit

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 04:42:15 PM »
is the cd available already here sa mga suki nating tindahan?i haven't seen one though i already have mp3s of third.  i own cassettes of both old albums [dummy and portishead]. i'm thinking of buying it online but i maybe philippine shores can wait since two of their records were just bought locally [and that was high school days pa]  :-)
Believe in miracles, they happen everyday <br />Guh-guh-Gudo!!!<br />http://www.myspace.com/godfreyca

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 03:47:51 PM »
Yung utol ko, na iskor niya yung vinyl version ng plaka.  Meron siyang kasamang USB drive na P-shaped na puti.  Content ng USB yung mga mp3 ng album.

Offline awindofsuchviolence

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 10:31:47 PM »
nung nabasa ko sa yellow stereo na ginagawa yung "third", nahulog ako sa silya ko habang binabasa yung article., at nung sa wakas ay napasakamay ko na yung record, di ako makapaniwala na ganun at mas malupit yung tunog nila., halos labing isang taon ata sila di gumawa ng album kaya parang biglang dinaluyan ng dugo ang triphop community sa "third"., at nung una kong narinig yung record, para akong binalik sa 1994 nung una kong natuklasan ang sarap ng mag headbang.,

THE BEST RECORD OF THE YEAR.
"smile. empty. soul."

Offline otistikako

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 06:36:29 PM »
But I believe this is the "least" triphop record they ever made. Although, the signature Bristol-sound and the torch singing (courtesy of Gibbons) are still there, gone are the post-hiphop beats, the crackling vinyl hisses and most importantly, the cinematic quality of its previous records  Dummy and Portishead. The record is more art/psychedelic rock with strong electro influences.

A critic once said that should it be released earlier, it feels like Portishead's answer to Massive Attack's Mezzanine, another great electronic record. :evil:
All these accidents,
That happen,

Offline holy shiznit

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 08:45:33 PM »
But I believe this is the "least" triphop record they ever made.

Ten years ago, Portishead hated being called 'triphop' as much as they hate being called emo now   :wink:
Believe in miracles, they happen everyday <br />Guh-guh-Gudo!!!<br />http://www.myspace.com/godfreyca

Offline karlo

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 07:29:55 PM »
Machine gun is the single, but it's also the best cut on the album. Just dripping with dread and claustrophobia. And I love how everything is so bare, and yet perfect as it is. Excellent, excellent, excellent record. A bit on the unbearably sad side though... But i guess they're music's always been like that,
Macbook Pro | HP DV7 | Ableton Suite 8.4 | Reason 6.5 | Traktor Pro 2.5 | Reaper 4.22 | Komplete Audio 6 & A8DJ | VoiceLive Classic & Touch | Xone 92r | X-Station 61 | Breedlove Atlas

Love Never Dies