hulika

Author Topic: An Evening with the Bakemono DS1, the Mihiro Mod Strat and the Akane Strat  (Read 26980 times)

Offline dominant_chord2005

• Veteran Member
Greetings forumites....

It was a fateful Saturday afternoon after almost 9 hours or so of work, I decided to go to Psychic_sushi's hive and hang out. After the usual chit-chat and the countless hours of jamming, it was then time to unravel the mysteries behind the much debated Bakemono pedal the DS-1 super mod created thru the combined efforts of BAMF's electronic wizardry plus the keen senses of Psychic Sushi.

Jobet arrived past seven after his classes and started working on my guitar as he promised. It was his guinea pig for the potting mixture he was working on. At first I was hesitant to try it , but knowing BAMF's wizardry plus Anton's technical prowess on the instrument, combine them both, and its convincingly good. After the mixture was added to the pups and was returned back, Anton and I  decided  to make a series of test runs.

And the result, EVERY NOTE WE PLAYED CAME OUT IN FULL DETAIL. I was afraid to commit mistakes coz for one thing, the clarity of the guitar was not clear before the potting. But the magic of the mixture really made it astoundingly clear and punchy. So clear and deatiled that one wrong note may disrupt a jam or an actual gig. Naririnig mo lahat ng notes, no tone sucking of some sort even when it is plugged in to an effect.

Next was the MIhiro modded strat. Again, using his unusual tools and tricks, Bamf rewired my 62 ri MIJ strat and applied something he called the SCALARIZER. Its a weird looking electronic device that somehow evens the tone off any guitar. From the looks of it..the item he is installing looks more like ur regular LED. After it was installed, Anton gave it a test run.

The results, the tone from the pre -modification stage increased 35% more with emphasis on the brilliance, the depth and clarity of the notes. And surprisingly, the MIJ MIhiro Modded strat wasnt even potted. All guitars went thru and were tested using a Fender stage 112 amp.

I am very much happy with the results. Anton and I really enjoyed every moment as we played note after note. the guitars were perfect for almost all types of genres. And Jobet really made it for me as he remedied the guitar's lacking quality, sparkle.

After the modification, the Bakemono DS 1 went again to the test. And I have to admit, this pedal really rocks. The pedal is actually designed to work any any amp , maintaining the sound you want or just plainly emulating the most popular amp brands with justice. what caught my attention was the warp feature. It really makes it very versatile. From smooth drives  to the agressive tones...everything is bang for the buck. And who says this aint worth it.

Its too early to say that I am endorsing these because skillwise I dont deserve to be an endorser, but I do patronize and believe in the duo's work. Combining their ideas to create the ultimate pedal and guitar modification is rare these days. Isa lng masasabi ko. what they did to my guitars are extraordinary. Cant wait to use this on my next gig. If ur not convinced. Check them out over the weekend. It would really help if u ask questions firsts on what's it all about.

Just my experience on the Bakemono, my Mihiro, and Anton's Akane Strat. Peace y'all

"Practice makes perfect."

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
The Scalarizer Core
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 11:55:31 AM »
Eyy thanks Elmo !

Dino's RJ LP was also a masterpiece, would you say ? Arguably the [gooey brown stuff] pickups known to man, and it ended up the way it did after the pot AND the scalarizer :D . I had to resist the urge to just buy the thing hahehehe.

Here's what the scalarizer looks like. Specially fabricated at the BAMFx shop, during a new moon with a coven of 12 sorcerors chanting Ang Na Ang Na Su La Pu Kan..., and no...it can't be bought at Raon or any other boutique shop. This is the first of its kind, never before invented for guitar. Sorry if I'm gloating ha, give it to me na lang. I'm just soo proud of this new baby of mine.

This is a prototype, the real deal has wires instead of leads sticking out. Very unintrusive installation, just take out the wire that runs between the pickup selector and the volume knob, replace that wire with this, and that's it. No batteries required either. :D . If any, this will be my real legacy to the Philippine's music. The mods...well...anyone who can wield a soldering iron can learn to mod a pedal. But I guess the Master Sith will not tell everyone the secret of how to use virgin goat's blood to improve a guitar's sound (MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA).

« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 12:01:54 PM by BAMF »
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline radimere

• Veteran Member
I'm intrigued. Sound clips naman dyan! Ideally into and out of the same setup, since it's series-wired?  :-D

Offline jazhombie

• Board Moderator
Greetings forumites....

It was a fateful Saturday afternoon after almost 9 hours or so of work, I decided to go to Psychic_sushi's hive and hang out. After the usual chit-chat and the countless hours of jamming, it was then time to unravel the mysteries behind the much debated Bakemono pedal the DS-1 super mod created thru the combined efforts of BAMF's electronic wizardry plus the keen senses of Psychic Sushi.

Jobet arrived past seven after his classes and started working on my guitar as he promised. It was his guinea pig for the potting mixture he was working on. At first I was hesitant to try it , but knowing BAMF's wizardry plus Anton's technical prowess on the instrument, combine them both, and its convincingly good. After the mixture was added to the pups and was returned back, Anton and I  decided  to make a series of test runs.

And the result, EVERY NOTE WE PLAYED CAME OUT IN FULL DETAIL. I was afraid to commit mistakes coz for one thing, the clarity of the guitar was not clear before the potting. But the magic of the mixture really made it astoundingly clear and punchy. So clear and deatiled that one wrong note may disrupt a jam or an actual gig. Naririnig mo lahat ng notes, no tone sucking of some sort even when it is plugged in to an effect.

Next was the MIhiro modded strat. Again, using his unusual tools and tricks, Bamf rewired my 62 ri MIJ strat and applied something he called the SCALARIZER. Its a weird looking electronic device that somehow evens the tone off any guitar. From the looks of it..the item he is installing looks more like ur regular LED. After it was installed, Anton gave it a test run.

The results, the tone from the pre -modification stage increased 35% more with emphasis on the brilliance, the depth and clarity of the notes. And surprisingly, the MIJ MIhiro Modded strat wasnt even potted. All guitars went thru and were tested using a Fender stage 112 amp.

I am very much happy with the results. Anton and I really enjoyed every moment as we played note after note. the guitars were perfect for almost all types of genres. And Jobet really made it for me as he remedied the guitar's lacking quality, sparkle.

After the modification, the Bakemono DS 1 went again to the test. And I have to admit, this pedal really rocks. The pedal is actually designed to work any any amp , maintaining the sound you want or just plainly emulating the most popular amp brands with justice. what caught my attention was the warp feature. It really makes it very versatile. From smooth drives  to the agressive tones...everything is bang for the buck. And who says this aint worth it.

Its too early to say that I am endorsing these because skillwise I dont deserve to be an endorser, but I do patronize and believe in the duo's work. Combining their ideas to create the ultimate pedal and guitar modification is rare these days. Isa lng masasabi ko. what they did to my guitars are extraordinary. Cant wait to use this on my next gig. If ur not convinced. Check them out over the weekend. It would really help if u ask questions firsts on what's it all about.

Just my experience on the Bakemono, my Mihiro, and Anton's Akane Strat. Peace y'all

pa-try pare hehehe

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
I was there too. Brought my tele to try it with the bakemono. I was speechless. My tele sounded really BIG!!! The high notes on the high E string was thick and punchy! Unbelievable!!

Nice meeting you dominant chord. :)

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
uy Elmo kumusta na bro!

Bamf, pasubok naman nyan! san yung pila para makabili kahit isa lang.

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
Master BAMF,

pipila na rin ako... see you on Sat. hopefully. Iniisip ko pa kung pati yung 335 copy palalagyan ko ng Scalarizer. Baka mahirap dukutin yung switch and wiring. Though I am very very curious to hear what your gadget will do with a semi-hollow guitar  8-)

Offline Kulas

Master BAMF,

pipila na rin ako... see you on Sat. hopefully. Iniisip ko pa kung pati yung 335 copy palalagyan ko ng Scalarizer. Baka mahirap dukutin yung switch and wiring. Though I am very very curious to hear what your gadget will do with a semi-hollow guitar  8-)

ako kaya pwede pakabit ng scalarizer? sa lalamunan ko, hehe. baka sakaling magka-sparkle ang boses ko, hehe.

sayang hindi ako available this weekend eh. may pupuntahan ako. next time pakabitan ko si fender.

Offline RonnieA

OI!!!!!

Hey Elmo--When was this? Kayo ha--hindi kayo nagiimbita dyan --ha !!! Anyways, see you guys on the 22nd!

God Bless You Bro!

RonnieA

Offline chito_eoi

• Philmusicus Addictus
i did have a chance to try the Bakemono before new year...

the pedal is freaking very good!!!, kinikilabutan tlga ko habang test ko cya with Anton, 'twas like your guitar talking to you!!!!
you cant find the tone anywhere from a cheap pedal promise!,

akala ko tapos na tone quest ko... with these...

haaayyyy.... just realize that i need this BAKEMONO pedal on my next inventory!

RAKENROLL~!!

Offline fingertapper1

• Forum Fanatic
Re: An Evening with the Bakemono DS1, the Mihiro Mod Strat and the Akane Strat
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 01:58:24 AM »
mihiro mod? sounds good!!!  do u have an ozawa mod?

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 02:30:46 AM »
Master BAMF,

ako kaya pwede pakabit ng scalarizer? sa lalamunan ko, hehe. baka sakaling magka-sparkle ang boses ko, hehe.

sayang hindi ako available this weekend eh. may pupuntahan ako. next time pakabitan ko si fender.

waaaa ako din kaya pakabit sa lalamunan ko! namiss ko na singing voice ko eh! nyahahaha
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 03:16:04 AM »

The Miyabi mod is in the works...this saturday I hope Jobet can work wonders with my Epiphone pro....
well its expected naman. what he did with my mihiro will definitely apply with the miyabi mod.

Sowee for the jappo inclinations...I really cant get it out of my system.. I just love Maria Ozawa and Mihiro Taniguchi...dats y i named my guitars as such

Offline Kulas

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 03:25:12 AM »
wala bang bakekang mod? hehe

Offline fingertapper1

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 03:36:14 AM »

The Miyabi mod is in the works...this saturday I hope Jobet can work wonders with my Epiphone pro....
well its expected naman. what he did with my mihiro will definitely apply with the miyabi mod.

Sowee for the jappo inclinations...I really cant get it out of my system.. I just love Maria Ozawa and Mihiro Taniguchi...dats y i named my guitars as such

hehe rock on!

• Veteran Member
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 07:38:56 AM »
while I was reading on the thread..athought came to me...if this works wonders with guitars,

will applying this concept on amplifiers work wonders as well?  Wat you think papa jobet?

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 10:07:06 AM »
while I was reading on the thread..athought came to me...if this works wonders with guitars,

will applying this concept on amplifiers work wonders as well?  Wat you think papa jobet?

Shhh...:D :D . That's next on the agenda. :D . Next Saturday. On my amps and Anton's as well.

Actually, it can be used on anything that has  signal carrying wires.

Offline stratboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 10:23:22 AM »
sir, pwede din po ako magpakabit? how much po?

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 11:08:14 AM »
Well, all I can do is encourage anybody who is interested or curious to drop by and give the stuff a test drive. Heck, I even dare say, give them a shoot out with whatever stock item or pedal you'd like to A/B our toys with.

BAMF and I are certainly NOT lacking in the

TESTICULAR FORTITUDE DEPARTMENT

nor do we dilly-dally and screw you with IRONIES.

It is better to experience the stuff, you are all welcome to drop by and hang out, we've got nothing to hide  :-D

and yes, clips will be taken care of this weekend, we'll give it a shot, the fortitude can afford it. be it a facsimile of the tone, whatever.

As our buddies here know, BAMF and I are not freaking reclusive wannabe guru's that hide atop an ivory tower.

We are hams  :-D BAMF may be a lalakwe sometime's, and yes, I love AV Idols  :mrgreen:

AKANE SAKURA IS THE BOMB!!!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 11:18:46 AM by psychic_sushi »
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 11:34:26 AM »

and yes, clips will be taken care of this weekend, we'll give it a shot, the fortitude can afford it. be it a facsimile of the tone, whatever.

I''ve been thinking about it a lot. But how do you mike a "3D" sound ? As much as I itch to post soundclips of a scalarized guitar, there will be too many questions like "ooo, you just upped the treble on your amp", "ooo your Behringer C1 mike has a presence boost" "ooo dinaya mo lang sa VST plug-ins". There is no substitute for the experience of bringing a [gooey brown stuff] guitar, playing through it, installing the scalarizer, and then comparing the "before"and "after". And it's nothing like upping the treble. It's more like the insertion of HARMONICALLY-RELATED OVERTONES. Something like the BBE sonic maximizer, without the price tag and the battery. That's why the word is not "trebly", but rather "sparkly".

As our buddies here know, BAMF and I are not freaking reclusive wannabe guru's that hide atop an ivory tower.

The goal is to have an army of guitarists armed with axes that sound better than you-know-who. We will give him the thing he fears most. BUYERS REMORSE.

We are hams  :-D BAMF may be a lalakwe sometime's, and yes, I love AV Idols  :mrgreen:

It only happens naman when you're fingering the fretboard e. Aaayyy FAFA !!! Why can't I quit you ? YIKES ! Brokebackan na ! Hahehehehe.  :? :? :? :? :? (confused? mwahahehehe)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 11:36:51 AM by BAMF »

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2007, 11:53:47 AM »
Holy Crap! BrokeBACKSTREET BOYS!!!  :mrgreen:

Perfect description for the SCALARIZER, its close to a BBE Sonic Maximizer, having owned a BBE Stinger for the longest time at one point, i'm familiar with the effect. BUT, it does not add a shrill high end, no icepick frequencies.

I was at one point contemplating on having the tone pot attached to my greco strat's bridge pick up to attenuate the highs, but remarkably, after having the scalarizer grafted to the circuit, I got a bigger and more defined sound that retained the brightness, sans finger-scratching-the -blackboard highs. No need for a re-wire.

Same goes with Elmo's beloved strat. It was fantastically phat sounding, but with the scalarizer on board, the tone hit the stratosphere! now its phat, and well defined! The detail in the tone! damn, on all guitars, you can practically hear the string windings and frets, and still stay phat!

The RJ les paul was an undeniable eye (and ear) opener. The frequency spread transformed it, it was now more musical. lovely lovely!

Ron Kirn

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2007, 12:29:02 PM »
I might have cracked the recording problem Antonski.

We'll use the DI box and turn the cab simulation off. Then we'll play a scalarized guitar through it, feeding into the "generically transparent"china mixer with all EQ settings on flat. No miking.

The output will be less than the real experience, but even if we can't capture the 3D effect, we will certainly capture the sparkle effect.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2007, 12:33:48 PM »
I might have cracked the recording problem Antonski.

We'll use the DI box and turn the cab simulation off. Then we'll play a scalarized guitar through it, feeding into the "generically transparent"china mixer with all EQ settings on flat. No miking.

The output will be less than the real experience, but even if we can't capture the 3D effect, we will certainly capture the sparkle effect.

Mucho brilliant! A before and after minus the infuence of miking and air! You are the luchador of tone, mi amigo  :mrgreen: ola!

Ron Kirn

Offline radimere

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2007, 12:50:47 PM »

I''ve been thinking about it a lot. But how do you mike a "3D" sound ? As much as I itch to post soundclips of a scalarized guitar, there will be too many questions like "ooo, you just upped the treble on your amp", "ooo your Behringer C1 mike has a presence boost" "ooo dinaya mo lang sa VST plug-ins". There is no substitute for the experience of bringing a [gooey brown stuff] guitar, playing through it, installing the scalarizer, and then comparing the "before"and "after". And it's nothing like upping the treble. It's more like the insertion of HARMONICALLY-RELATED OVERTONES. Something like the BBE sonic maximizer, without the price tag and the battery. That's why the word is not "trebly", but rather "sparkly".

The goal is to have an army of guitarists armed with axes that sound better than you-know-who. We will give him the thing he fears most. BUYERS REMORSE.

It only happens naman when you're fingering the fretboard e. Aaayyy FAFA !!! Why can't I quit you ? YIKES ! Brokebackan na ! Hahehehehe.  :? :? :? :? :? (confused? mwahahehehe)

I didn't really write my previous post with the intention of questioning whether it does work, but rather to get an idea of what it does  :-) IMHO the sound clips would whet the appetite of anybody too lazy to get off their ass and test the devices in person, maybe enough to get them interested in trying & buying. Sorry for the confusion.

Is the scalarizer available for purchase without the installation services? Say, I'd like to wire it to a 1/4" plug, for example.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2007, 12:57:38 PM »
Sure ! Same price nga lang as the installation is just a "courtesy"and not really a service :D .

If you live in the South, there's a luthier there who's interested in carrying the item in his shop. Parang dealership ba. Details to follow na lang once it's ironed out. :D

Well...so there. We will try our best and try to eliminate all other possible variables, with regard to the sounclips.