hulika

Author Topic: DW (DRUM WORKSHOP) Drums, Pedals & Hardware Thread  (Read 21712 times)

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
DW (DRUM WORKSHOP) Drums, Pedals & Hardware Thread
« on: September 09, 2006, 10:20:17 AM »
galing ako ng park square kahapon and saw this red/black dw on display at lyric. grabe nakakademonyo kasi nakapila ako sa nbi clearance tapos jb sa kaliwa at lyric sa kanan  :twisted:  puro drums pa naka display

anyway its 250k but i dont think its made in the usa nor do i believe that its made in mexico as the badge indicates. i think its made in china too same as the pdp kits.

here are the reasons why i think its a rip off:

- the dw round badge is NOT round and its dented due to the serial stamp. dws also have embossed badges which this one lacks
- hoops are thin and not the usually 2.3mm you find on real dws
- hardware plating looks cheap, again not a very good sign
- lacquer finish is nice but not worth the price tag

pero kung nasa labas ka ng store, yung badges lang ang pagdududahan mo kasi nga hindi round but the kit looks really nice.

meron din dw pedals and hardware which are worth i think. i didnt ask for the prices since i already know that they are going to be astromical.

pdp snares are on display too

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
DW now locally available
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 10:40:00 AM »
Sounds like a very expensive rip-off, if ever it's true.  I didn't know that there are any Mexican-made DWs.  I should visit their website...

I'll be in Makati on Monday, so I'll go and check out those D-Dubs.

Thanks for the info, bro!  
8)

Offline g0d5_g1ft

• Forum Fanatic
DW now locally available
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 12:21:04 PM »
yeah nakita ko din un kahapon dumaan din ako dun kahapon eh muka ngang kaduda duda... mahal pla tlga sa lyric noh hehehe ung meinl fx9 nila amp nasa 15k eh sobra....
matututo kaya ako magdrums? kelan kaya iyon...

need gear: http://talk.philmusic.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=28593

Offline bam0120

DW now locally available
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 09:30:53 PM »
Quote from: g0d5_g1ft
yeah nakita ko din un kahapon dumaan din ako dun kahapon eh muka ngang kaduda duda... mahal pla tlga sa lyric noh hehehe ung meinl fx9 nila amp nasa 15k eh sobra....

next na dadaaan kayo dudes, pakuha naman ng pictures..

no time to visit pa.

thanks!
yeah

\m/

Offline legnacilyz

• Veteran Member
DW now locally available
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 09:29:58 AM »
tama po kau sir peeves! i saw the whole thing last night! yung set is like a dark red fade to color black? tama po ba? Lyric sa park square.. and i saw the thing you said about the badge.. yupi! hehehe.. hay.. ok na sana eh... pero.. parang rip-off talaga..

cheers!!!
pup_bk@yahoo.com
Sessions...
 "..To God Be The Glory.."

Offline jun_BALARAW

• Philmusicus Addictus
DW now locally available
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 10:19:07 AM »
bakit napadaan ako ng rustan's sa cubao.. sa may lyric dun. wala me nakitang DW drums. pdp lang. kagabi lang ako napadaan dun??
PEACE.... PEACE.... PEACE.... PEACE....

Offline ciro

DW now locally available
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 04:05:03 AM »
teka ung meinl sa lyric na 15K eto rin ba ung same model sa quiapo na mga 5-6K lang?

ung pedal na DW 5000 bakit walang plate tapos made in taiwan???
for faster inquiries call me 09175297440

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
DW now locally available
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 04:30:09 AM »
I believe that some of DW's pedals are manufactured in Taiwan; in particular, the low to mid-level models.  I'm not sure about the 5000 models.  Are 5000 Series peds Taiwan-made nowadays?  How about the 9000 Series?  I know they're US-made.

Last night, I visited Lyric in Park Square Makati.  I saw the DW and Pacific drum gear that they're selling.  I shamelessly took a few photos, before somebody from Lyric finds me suspicious hehe!  Here are the photos...

DW drumkit on display:
http://anthonydio.multiply.com/photos/photo/7/97

DW kit, back view:
http://anthonydio.multiply.com/photos/photo/7/91

The Mexican badge:
http://anthonydio.multiply.com/photos/photo/7/95

The PDP kit:
http://anthonydio.multiply.com/photos/photo/7/89

The D-Dubs actually look sweet from a few feet, with its deep red finish and black hardware.  Not until I went for a closer look, there I took my first glimpse of the Mexican badge.  There are dents alright.  Hindi pulido yung pagkaka-mount.  The badge, I reckon, doesn't seem to be of familiar DW quality.  Parang thin sheet of cheap metal lang na nilagyan ng brand name and details.

Other questionable details...  Some of the rubber gaskets that separate the round lugs from the drum shell seem either loose or not well-screwed.  I was trying to look for the Timbre-Matched seal at the inside of the drum (it's a stamp which indicates the drum's fundamental tone; for example, a "C" note)... It's not there.  The cymbal stand doesn't utilize the huge black tilter locks which is common among DWs.

The bass pedal, hi-hat stand and the snare drum stand are the real deal, though.  By the way, they are also selling DW Drum Thrones.  I saw the sticker tag... around 7K+.  I find it quite expensive for a simple, rounded seat model.

I'm not really a huge DW aficionado, so I hope somebody who knows D-Dubs really well can shed some light on this.

These are definitely NOT the custom-built DWs from their Oxnard, California factory.  I think these might be a new generation of DWs which are meant for mass production.

And that gargantuan price tag??  I'd rather buy a Pearl Reference or Masterworks Series drumkit from Yupangco with that amount of money.

I was more attracted to the Pacific drumkit on display.  In case you're curious with its price tag... It costs 55K.  I forgot to ask if the PDP kit is a full-maple kit.

8)

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
DW now locally available
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 07:18:03 AM »
the pdp kit is all birch, 55k is for the matte wrap version and if you want the lacquered version (fade similar to the dw) you have to shell out 68k

Offline Dindin

• Forum Fanatic
DW now locally available
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 09:21:35 AM »
Hmmm... Save for the wraps, the PDP kit looks somewhat like the new Fernando's... or vice-versa...

Offline in_the_tent

• Philmusicus Addictus
DW now locally available
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 10:41:56 AM »
nakita ko yung pangalan sa isang tom baliktad. hehe. sa north
"The Lord is my Song.."

Offline toybitz

DW now locally available
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 01:20:42 PM »
Quote from: jun_BALARAW
bakit napadaan ako ng rustan's sa cubao.. sa may lyric dun. wala me nakitang DW drums. pdp lang. kagabi lang ako napadaan dun??

Bro,

wala talaga atang DW sa Lyric, PDP meron.

JB ang distributor noon.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline jun_BALARAW

• Philmusicus Addictus
DW now locally available
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 01:34:29 PM »
Quote from: toybitz
Quote from: jun_BALARAW

Bro,

wala talaga atang DW sa Lyric, PDP meron.

JB ang distributor noon.

sabi kasi sa taas ^^^ sa lyric daw ung DW drums. thanks
PEACE.... PEACE.... PEACE.... PEACE....

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
DW now locally available
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 01:44:52 PM »
Quote from: drumster

And that gargantuan price tag??  I'd rather buy a Pearl Reference or Masterworks Series drumkit from Yupangco with that amount of money.

now i wonder how much lyric got that clone dw kit for real. if they are smart enough to figure out that if they price the rip off against the gretsch catalinas then they will sure make a killing. they'll own the market.

forget pdp, the clone dw is as close as many local drummers can get to owning a dream. i know i'll get one if its reasonably priced.

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
DW now locally available
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 03:10:28 PM »
saw an exact same kit at lyric sm city north edsa.
color red..
ugly badges..

j/k

Offline g0d5_g1ft

• Forum Fanatic
DW now locally available
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 04:41:00 PM »
Quote from: ciro
teka ung meinl sa lyric na 15K eto rin ba ung same model sa quiapo na mga 5-6K lang?

yung nasa quiapo ata headliner brass, yung 15k sa lyric is headliner fx9 not brass exactly pero 4 piece cya... mahal pa din wahehehe
matututo kaya ako magdrums? kelan kaya iyon...

need gear: http://talk.philmusic.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=28593

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
DW now locally available
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 07:34:28 PM »
Today, I visited the Lyric music shops in Cubao (at the old Rustan's building) and in Megamall (4th floor Bldg. B)...  I think I'm beginning to like the PDP kits.  I'll visit the head branch in N. Domingo, QC (just outside Horseshoe Village) one of these days.

Last Friday, we had a gig where in we were provided with a very delicious DW drumkit.  It's in green sparkle finish, and the sound system company (PMX) provided small-sized toms (8", 10", & 12" - used as a "floor" tom), which I highly favor.  It made me fantasize about DWs again!

Going back to the PDPs... I was observing its build and design, and it sure has its DW pedigree.  I hope I could try playing a full PDP kit one of these days.  I already tried a PDP snare drum (Gibson, drummer of Natural High, owns and plays a 6x14" model), and it sounded and performed nicely.

I'm aiming to purchase a mid-level kit in the near future.  I think I can consider the PDPs.

8)

Offline toink

DW now locally available
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2006, 03:17:47 AM »
sir drumster if u want to try a pdp full kit fs series (same as what their selling at lyric), punta ka dito sa studio ko sa kamuning. ganun pinapagamit ko dito. almost a year old n rin kasi mag 1 year n tong studio eh. il let u try it for 20 minutes hehe
toink!

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
DW now locally available
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2006, 09:11:38 AM »
Quote from: drumster
I hope I could try playing a full PDP kit one of these days.  

punta ka ng lyric megamall, may free taste dun, ikaw pa aalukin nung matandang lalaki na tumikim

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
DW now locally available
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2006, 10:25:33 AM »
Quote from: toink
sir drumster if u want to try a pdp full kit fs series (same as what their selling at lyric), punta ka dito sa studio ko sa kamuning. ganun pinapagamit ko dito. almost a year old n rin kasi mag 1 year n tong studio eh. il let u try it for 20 minutes hehe

Sige bro!  Saan kayo sa Kamuning?  Send me a PM.  Thanks!  8)

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
DW now locally available
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2006, 10:35:39 AM »

Sherwin ikaw ba yan? Nasubukan ko na PDP kit niyo. Ayos hehe.

Offline toink

DW now locally available
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2006, 11:45:49 AM »
Quote from: Gep

Sherwin ikaw ba yan? Nasubukan ko na PDP kit niyo. Ayos hehe.

ako nga hehe

sir drumster pm sent
toink!

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
DW now locally available
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2006, 12:00:23 PM »

ako nga hehe

sir drumster pm sent

Practice kami diyan mamaya ha! Hehehehe...

Offline toink

DW now locally available
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2006, 12:28:14 PM »
Quote from: Gep

ako nga hehe

sir drumster pm sent

Practice kami diyan mamaya ha! Hehehehe...

cge basta may available slot hehe
toink!

Offline nongx

DW drums question
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2006, 03:06:20 PM »
Mga sir gusto ko lang malaman kung saan makakabili ng DW Drumset sa QC
at mag kano.. any idea?

thanks
nongx