hulika

Author Topic: what jazz artists would you guys recomend to a kid like me?  (Read 7576 times)

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
what jazz artists would you guys recomend to a kid like me?
« on: January 31, 2007, 08:53:23 PM »
ok, i admit. im a jazz noob. i suck at jazz. i can hardly play jazz and i only know a few artists. i usually listen to "basic" jazz like benny goodman for swing/bigband jazz,scott joplin for ragtime, weather report for jazz rock,  antonio carlos jobim for bossa nova,thelonius monk for bebop, you get the point.  i really want to get to know jazz more and eventually get into the "deeper cuts" of jazz not just the "basics". which is hard for a kid like me because kids this generation dont really get exposed to jazz compares to pop or rock.but im really,really interested in jazz.  being 15 does have its disadvantages...  :-D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 08:55:12 PM by bea_rox »
Med student. Bassist. Jazz fan.

View my youtube videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/beabass

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: what jazz artists would you guys recomend to a kid like me?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 09:02:18 PM »
Sis, marami talaga e. You don't just appreciate the bass player in jazz kasi e. You need to appreciate everything about it, the music itself.

Try mo siguro Bill Evans, Sonny Rollins, Art Tatum, John Coltrane, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Miles Davis, Bud Powell, Thelonious Monk, Charlie Christian, Charles Mingus, Charlie Parker to name a few.

Sa free jazz? Madami din e. John Zorn, I think. Fusion? Allan Holdsworth, John McLaughlin, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jonas Hellborg. Singit ko na rin siguro si Wes Montgomery, Pat Metheny, Russ Freeman. Dami e.  :-D
"Competition is for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 09:15:26 PM »
Wow! For a 15-year-old, that's some pretty serious listening. I wouldn't call that 'nooby' at all, bea ..

That's actually even more impressive than what other adults twice your age try to pass off as 'essential jazz listening' ...  :-D

I think it's only a matter of time before you gravitate towards the 'deeper' stuff. I'd let nature take its course. You've got your genres pretty well-covered anyway.

And frogfunk's list should give you enough homework to last you 'til you reach your debut -- or maybe longer.

As long as the thirst is there and you've got your chops happening, you don't have anything to worry about..  It's not very often you get to hear a 15-year-old girl playing 'The Chicken' ..
"No static at all ..."

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 09:19:17 PM »
Sis, marami talaga e. You don't just appreciate the bass player in jazz kasi e. You need to appreciate everything about it, the music itself.

Try mo siguro Bill Evans, Sonny Rollins, Art Tatum, John Coltrane, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Miles Davis, Bud Powell, Thelonious Monk, Charlie Christian, Charles Mingus, Charlie Parker to name a few.

Sa free jazz? Madami din e. John Zorn, I think. Fusion? Allan Holdsworth, John McLaughlin, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jonas Hellborg. Singit ko na rin siguro si Wes Montgomery, Pat Metheny, Russ Freeman. Dami e.  :-D
wow,some of those artists did ring a bell! i know,sobrang dami,sa sobrang dami i dunno where to start! and yes,i should and i dont only appreciate the bass in jazz in sing,sing,sing who could ever forget gene krupa's drum solo? hehehe  :-D
so many jazz,so little time. hehe  :-D

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 10:19:48 PM »
As long as the thirst is there and you've got your chops happening, you don't have anything to worry about..  It's not very often you get to hear a 15-year-old girl playing 'The Chicken' ..

A genius in the making!  :-D

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 10:23:41 PM »
Sige, let's help you with that:

So since nagbanggit ka na ng particular artists, sundan mo na muna yung mga albums nila and absorb their playing. Absorbing their playing doesn't mean that you'll study them and play them yourself (though maganda din yun). Just listen to the music and feel it. I also went as far as researching about why they wrote their pieces. Bigyan mo nang buhay yung music by finding more about it na hindi necessarily musical. After all, most of the music ever made were from life experiences.  :-)

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 10:32:39 PM »
Sige, let's help you with that:

So since nagbanggit ka na ng particular artists, sundan mo na muna yung mga albums nila and absorb their playing. Absorbing their playing doesn't mean that you'll study them and play them yourself (though maganda din yun). Just listen to the music and feel it. I also went as far as researching about why they wrote their pieces. Bigyan mo nang buhay yung music by finding more about it na hindi necessarily musical. After all, most of the music ever made were from life experiences.  :-)
actually,i already am with some. i think i already have this "feel" about jazz, (unecesarily) i even traced jaco pastorius' bloodline! i have pictures of his 2 living sons!! also with antonio carlos jobim's the girl from ipanema, i really liked it and a fun fact is there WAS really a girl from ipanema. the song did tell that story. hehe. thanks froggy, now i KNOW im on the right track, and yeah.. i dont need to trace those artists' bloodline haha.  :-D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 10:37:05 PM by bea_rox »

Offline Cressin

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 10:48:23 PM »
Haha i can totally relate! I'm more influenced by rock music but i find jazz more interesting than rock..  The sad thing is that my jazz library is not that big yet. I only have stuff by Hiromi Uehara, Monk, Miles davis, Coltrane, Steely Dan, Chuck Mangione,manhattan transfer and the weather report... Radioactive sago if you would count them as Jazz (they sound jazzy eh.. hehe) But there.. 15 in my opinion has more perks than downsides thought. I'm 17 and you listen to more jazz than me.. hehe just try to look for your own jazz songs. better yet, ask your parents!  guys like them are usually in to jazz and nuwave genres(my dad is a good source of jazz music). But yep. the younger generation tends to lean more to rock, pop and hiphop. mejo nawawala na ung jazz so if you want jazz music you could ask young jazz enthusiasts or better yet, 50's something guys and gals.  :-)

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 11:00:42 PM »
@bea_rox: Oks lang yung tracing mo na ginawa about Jaco. Tuloy mo lang ginagawa mo and keep your ears open to any style of music no matter how "crappy" it is.  :-)

@Cressin: It's never too late, bro. Just keep at it. By the way, jazz isn't dying. As long as there are people like us it'll live.  :-)

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 11:50:52 PM »
Start tuning in to 105.1 Cross-over.  Whatever you're doing, just keep the radio on.  Eventually you'll hear cute melodies, funky beats, swingin' rhythms, extraordinary progressions, even awesome improvisations. Somehow you'll get to pick-up the nuances differentiating this type of music from the others. That'll get you started on what jazz is all about.

Sabayan mo ngayon ng mga recommendations nina Deacon Blues and frogfunk.  Good ang mga suggestions nila.

I'm sure the heavy jazz cats will raise an eyebrow and say that Crossover is only for "pogi Jazz".... but hey, what else have we got on FM radio?  Besides, it's one of bea_rox's few alternatives that are free. If she finds it too lame, she can easily switch dials (to kelangan pa bang imemorize yan?!).

Young lady, it's good to hear such young blood taking the road currently not taken at the moment.  I also have a fourteen year old son who surprisingly cannot find a band in his school willing to play Spyrogyra, Tim Weisberg, and Return o Forever (He's a flutist, btw).  I just hope your journey into jazz will be a most enjoyable one.

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 12:24:04 AM »
I'm sure the heavy jazz cats will raise an eyebrow and say that Crossover is only for "pogi Jazz".... but hey, what else have we got on FM radio?  Besides, it's one of bea_rox's few alternatives that are free. If she finds it too lame, she can easily switch dials (to kelangan pa bang imemorize yan?!).

You have one here who won't raise his eyebrows.  :-) I think we have a thread here about 80's Jazz which was the smooth or "pogi" jazz era. I had my first diet of jazz from "pogi" jazz. For bea_rox: While we're still at it, try checking out Fourplay, James Taylor Quartet, The Brand New Heavies, Curdoroy, Incognito, Lee Ritenour, Larry Carlton, George Duke, Herbie Hancock, Grover Washington, Jr., whew! Dami talaga...  :lol:

I also have a fourteen year old son who surprisingly cannot find a band in his school willing to play Spyrogyra, Tim Weisberg, and Return o Forever (He's a flutist, btw).

You are one fortunate parent!  :-)

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 12:24:37 AM »
Hey, kedy's post just reminded me ..

Bea, do yourself a favor a catch any of Working Stiff's gigs. You won't regret it! They're one of the best exponents of smooth jazz in the live circuit these days. That's even better than tuning in to 105.1 ..  :-D

With these guys, not only will you be able to tune in to what the bassist is doing (and he does it pretty well too!), you'll also be able to appreciate how the whole band contributes to the overall groove..

After the gig, or in between sets, you can even approach these guys and ask a quick lesson or two. I'm sure they'd readily oblige - especially to a young, eager learner. That's how cool these guys are ..

Speaking of which, kedy, when's the next gig?

"No static at all ..."

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 09:02:35 PM »
Im reading a book entitled Jazz 101 (forgot the author's name!) You might find it interesting!

OT.
We're on the same train here,anyway! :-D
....Any other books,or movies you jazz cats can recommend to us? Thanks!
So Be It.

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 10:17:34 PM »
Haha i can totally relate! I'm more influenced by rock music but i find jazz more interesting than rock..  The sad thing is that my jazz library is not that big yet. I only have stuff by Hiromi Uehara, Monk, Miles davis, Coltrane, Steely Dan, Chuck Mangione,manhattan transfer and the weather report... Radioactive sago if you would count them as Jazz (they sound jazzy eh.. hehe) But there.. 15 in my opinion has more perks than downsides thought. I'm 17 and you listen to more jazz than me.. hehe just try to look for your own jazz songs. better yet, ask your parents!  guys like them are usually in to jazz and nuwave genres(my dad is a good source of jazz music). But yep. the younger generation tends to lean more to rock, pop and hiphop. mejo nawawala na ung jazz so if you want jazz music you could ask young jazz enthusiasts or better yet, 50's something guys and gals.  :-)
so we should hang out with the oldies eh? hehe. speaking of new wave, i am also a big new wave fan!  :-D

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 10:21:28 PM »
Di naman kailangan uber tanda.  :-D

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 10:44:29 PM »
hmm.. so books,105.1,gigs can also help thanks for the additional info!  :-D

froggy: hmm.. like yourself? hehehe  :-D

oh yeah, i also enjoy new wave and funk but arent having much problems as jazz. haha.

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 11:08:10 PM »
@bea_rox: Oi! Sobra ha?  :-D

Offline lounge lizard

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 02:43:26 PM »
Aside from listening to 105.1, you might want to try listening to radio over the internet.  There are quite a few jazz stations that broadcast live. Furthermore, they provide you with their programming information indicating artist features and/or jazz types.  There are also websites that allow you to listen thru streaming audio.  I particularly enjoy smoothjazz.com; and tune into that at work since it is commercial-free. It even shows the album cover of what is currently playing.  I hope this helps.

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 05:28:31 PM »
While we're on the subject of free jazz stations on the Internet: http://www.jazz24.org

For jazz performance clips - nothing beats YouTube, hands down!

Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 06:47:57 PM »
hey!ive been listening to a lot of smooth jazz lately.. its not as appreciated as other jazz sub genres but i think ill start here.  :-)

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 11:10:58 PM »
Charlie Parker!

Miles Davis, Wayne Shorter, Bill Evans, Wes Montgomery, Keith Jarrett, Stan Getz, Cannonball Adderley, George Benson, Herbie Hancock.

For albums, must own ang Miles Davis Live At The Plugged Nickel box set.
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline Yadiyada

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2007, 01:02:45 AM »
brownbeat allstar try mo
"Fvck Jazz Too!!!"  -TD Lemon 1900
"nawawala rin pala ang kalyo sa kamay" alam mo na yun!

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2007, 09:56:49 AM »
At paano naman naging jazz ang brownbeat allstars?

If you wanna listen to Skarlet do jazz, check her out as Skarlet, the solo artist. Her album, Skarlet: The Powder Room Stories is out now.

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2007, 10:20:01 AM »
onga. ska ang brownbeat allstars.

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2007, 12:20:51 PM »
Where can I buy opm jazz albums? I only have the Affinity album with Koko Bermejo on drums kasi e.
thanks!
So Be It.