hulika

Author Topic: I NEED YOUR EARS!!! THE ACID TEST - Mastering Shootout  (Read 19504 times)

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: I NEED YOUR EARS!!! THE ACID TEST - Mastering Shootout
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2007, 06:37:31 AM »
so why must we even TRY to make it sound raw?  the way i see it, even when we're shooting for the stars we only tend to hit the moon.  sad to say that it comes quite naturally, so why try?
Makikisingit...

Coz some songs aren't arranged and played to sound raw, and if they sounded raw, they'd sound sloppily recorded. Mix these songs with songs that are actually arranged and played to be sloppy, and, well, you know the story about tomatoes in a basket, and one of them is rotten?

my point was even our best efforts to polish our mixes still fail to make them as modern sounding as most foreign mixes.  seriously, put our mixes side by side foreign ones and it kinda sounds like we moved back a few years in time.  so my point was, why even try to make it sound raw when we already have that certain inherent element in  our mixes?  i have come to develop double standards when it comes to this matter and extremely appreciate local stuff for what they are, specially the work of my idols.    this is just an honest observation and most definitely not meant to shoot the industry to which i belong. 

if you wanna hear commercial quality raw, try listening to wolfgang's tulisan.  but then there is also the other kind of raw, like you mentioned... the sloppily recorded kind.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 06:40:29 AM by starfugger »
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2007, 10:35:02 AM »
'60s
Vanilla Fudge recordings were RAW.
Jimi Hendrix recordings were RAW.
Cream recordings were RAW.

BUT NOW, we have

White Stripes - VERY RAW
Eagles of Death Metal - RAWER AND BOXIER THAN ANY '60s RECORDING
The Strokes - KINDA RAW
Wolfmother - RAW AND SOUNDS LIKE A BLAST FROM THE 70S
The Sword - SOUNDS LIKE '70s SABBATH, AND RAW
Lenny Kravitz - need I say more

For me, the issue is not about fidelity.  In the past, when you recorded direct to tape, you had to make use of 4 glorious tracks on 1" tape.  Maybe you needed 2 decks.  So imagine how much premixes or mike experimentation had to be done to make the most out of 4 or 8 tracks.  But when you talk about the raw sound of ANALOG, it is a completely different monster.  The fidelity losses in the high frequencies yielded a fatness and a nice compressed midrange.  That is where our connotation of "raw" comes to mind.

But NOW, recording direct to digital doesn't yield the same results unlike analog.  The raw sound of digital is THIN, LIFELESS, and for a lack of a better term, 1-dimensional sounding.  Now in order to recreate that "rawness" of analog, the irony is to process your tracks to death to get that "raw analog sound" we are all familiar with.

I had the pleasure of working with Inigo's band, THE HANEPS.  They had a very anti-modern approach to production, except that we only can record digital (that's what we can only afford).  At first I was very skeptical about one of their songs standing out in a huge playlist of songs.  Hey, lo and behold, one of their songs stayed in the charts for almost 3 weeks!  Was it because of the song?  Or the production?  The drums were boxy and roomy, cymbals were trashy, the guitars were recorded the classic/traditional way (i.e. Marshall Plexi cranked to high heavens), bass recorded with an amp miked with condenser mic, vocals recorded with an SM58.  We tuned the drums high to pitch, except for the snare fairly low-pitched, and took out any muffling in the kick drum with very tight tuning.  It was anti-hifi, anti-punch in a sense.  BUT IT WORKED FOR THEM.  But it would be ridiculous to say the same configuration would work for a different band as different artists call for different setups, different tools, and different work flows.

It's not a matter of hi-fi or lo-fi, or punchy or flabby - whatever you do in your production should support the musical statements.  Otherwise, if you suck a template down through every band or artist's throat, they'll start to sound the same...

Offline moHaWk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2007, 01:45:15 AM »
OT muna

If a person suffers the small genetic accident that creates Williams syndrome, he’ll live with not only some

fairly conventional cognitive deficits, like trouble with space and numbers, but also a strange set of traits that

researchers call the Williams social phenotype or, less formally, the “Williams personality”: a love of company

and conversation combined, often awkwardly, with a poor understanding of social dynamics and a lack of

social inhibition

:lol:
wag mo problemahin ang problema, hayaan mong problema mamroblema sayo!!!!!

Pag ang lason ba na-expire lason parin?

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2007, 02:19:13 AM »
sapul

:D
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2007, 03:57:14 PM »
OT muna

If a person suffers the small genetic accident that creates Williams syndrome, he’ll live with not only some

fairly conventional cognitive deficits, like trouble with space and numbers, but also a strange set of traits that

researchers call the Williams social phenotype or, less formally, the “Williams personality”: a love of company

and conversation combined, often awkwardly, with a poor understanding of social dynamics and a lack of

social inhibition

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/williams/williams.htm

Social dynamics is subjective.  To begin with, I doubt if the internet qualifies as a microcosm of society, being that one can pretend to be "good" whereas he can have a very dislikeable persona, or vice-versa.  I've met a lot of people who appear nice at first, but later on minumura na ako nang patalikod.  On the other hand, I've met people who have been rather too critical, and "maangas" but turned out to be very nice people, only misunderstood. 

I've never liked the idea of being way too nice in a job that requires criticism... In fact I want people to be very unmerciful in criticizing towards my work, because at the end of the day, my output would seal my fate.  It's all a matter of handling criticism.

Mohawk, would you be pissed if people would judge your persona by your haircut? 

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2007, 04:34:33 PM »
Shet... OT nga :D
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline moHaWk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2007, 06:04:48 PM »
OT muna

social inhibition

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/williams/williams.htm

Social dynamics is subjective.  To begin with, I doubt if the internet qualifies as a microcosm of society, being that one can pretend to be "good" whereas he can have a very dislikeable persona, or vice-versa.  I've met a lot of people who appear nice at first, but later on minumura na ako nang patalikod.  On the other hand, I've met people who have been rather too critical, and "maangas" but turned out to be very nice people, only misunderstood. 

I've never liked the idea of being way too nice in a job that requires criticism... In fact I want people to be very unmerciful in criticizing towards my work, because at the end of the day, my output would seal my fate.  It's all a matter of handling criticism.

WELL I THINK IM REFFERING TO MYSELF  :-D

Offline moHaWk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2007, 06:10:28 PM »

i practically don't care. i did this to my self... besides chicks dig it hehehehehe

btw  master 3  i like the most

why

coz it kicks a**

and i agree to the past post

the giutars sound better

and it siutes the genre

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2007, 10:20:37 AM »
just wait till i get my vacation again... there will be a MASTER#3 version 2  8-)
Music is art in sound...

Offline moHaWk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2007, 03:21:22 PM »
ui sir looking forward to that. kelan k nga bbalik? hehe :-D

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2007, 03:47:11 PM »
pare ko.. nde ako babalik jan. hehehe.. i mean vacation ko dito lang sa tabi ng bahay  :x :-(.. pero ok lang.. oo nga pala..mauumpisahan ko na yung mga ginagawa mong tracks  8-)
Music is art in sound...

Offline moHaWk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2007, 03:58:33 AM »
wah sir my mga reretrack pa kami ni BAMF hehehehehehe

sablay eh

send ko sau asap

xencia na sa OT skunk