hulika

Author Topic: The Bow-teek Mic and Preamp Thread (Cost? Who cares about cost? )  (Read 13428 times)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Must haves, nice-to-haves, gas-inducing posts welcome here.  :-D

No need to raise the flag on who's got one of these, what's important is that we know what's out there so that we can make an educated choice should we reach the point that we can afford one of these. Let's just say that in this thread, price is not an option but if you can afford 'em, more power to you! (and let's do a shootout sometime!  :lol: )

So let me start with a couple of "re-makes". These 2 are based on the classic Neumann U47, the first is the Pearlman TM-1

"A large diaphragm, 6 micron, gold sputtered capsule sends the incoming signal to a New Old Stock WWII Vintage Telefunken  metal tube (electrically identical, except for the heater voltage, to the very expensive Telefunken VF14  used in the famous Neumann U47) to the hand-wired circuit which includes selected WIMA polypropylene coupling capacitors to a state of the art output transformer custom designed  by either the wonderful folks at CINEMAG Transformers in Los Angeles or by the Tamura Transformer Company.

This is NOT an assembly line microphone; each unit is hand-wired, point to point, and voltage tuned for maximum performance.  The microphones were originally built to fill the need for more high quality tube microphones and are now in demand by everyone who has heard them."

And the Peluso 22 47 Limited Edition

"This microphone is inspired by and styled after the "Neumann U-47", which was modified by German Radio in the '70s to incorporate a glass triode tube. That modification brought it up to broadcast standards. The Peluso 22 47 has the additional feature of 9 polar patterns, controlled from the power supply. It captures the low frequency nuances of the original "47" with smooth mids and balanced highs."
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 08:00:52 PM by KitC »
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The Bow-teek Mic Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 11:29:17 AM »
hehe ... mukang mahal.  let's guess the price ... mmmm 5K USD for the pearlman?
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 12:11:21 PM »
peace sir kitC pearlaman kasing ganda ng neumann U47?wow!magkano kaya to!hehehhe
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

ROMANS 1:16 DI PALALAMPASIN Mtvon Youtube: CLICK here>>> Di Palalampasin

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 01:58:38 PM »
I think if I buy me a bowteek mic, it's like putting 4 magwheels signed by Michael Schumacher on my Corolla. :-D

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 05:34:18 PM »
You have to call Pearlman for the price. The Pelusos are more affordable at $1500. I'm still digging more unheard of but good stuff, like this:

Mojave Audio MA-200 Tube Condenser designed by David Royer of the ribbon mic fame. Closest distro is in Indonesia. No price on the Mojave site...

and this Sontronics SIGMA ribbon microphone.

I think I should rename this thread to good boutique mics that you never hear of. If I can find affordable ones, I'll post them here as well.

News Flash!!! - I just read that the M-Audio  :-o Sputnik is getting rave reviews and was recently awarded Editor's Choice in the mic category by Electronic Musician. not bad for a $700 mic.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 05:40:41 PM »
I think if I buy me a bowteek mic, it's like putting 4 magwheels signed by Michael Schumacher on my Corolla. :-D

So what's wrong with tricking out your Corolla? Ikinahihiya mo ba?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 12:36:17 AM »

So what's wrong with tricking out your Corolla? Ikinahihiya mo ba?

Corollas are pretty nice:) Economical too!
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 01:04:04 AM »

Until you see this one little unassuming stock-condition Corolla with full-blown nitro in the trunk! Beats Type-R Hondas easy!  :-D

Now back to regular programming...

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 01:13:16 AM »

Until you see this one little unassuming stock-condition Corolla with full-blown nitro in the trunk! Beats Type-R Hondas easy!  :-D

uy... napanood ko yan sa libis dati ah... galing grabe...

eto na talaga....

haaaay kelan kaya ako magkakabowteek mics?!?! :? :? :? :? :?
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 10:17:12 AM »

Until you see this one little unassuming stock-condition Corolla with full-blown nitro in the trunk! Beats Type-R Hondas easy!  :-D...

yup!  love my corolla.  it gets me from A to B.  sobrang tipid pa sa gas.  shoe-horned a 20valve engine in mine in case i get bored and pretend to be fast & furious.  hehe.  i've actually auto-crossed with it.  the smell of burning potenzas!  hehe.

:-) :-) :-)

great stuff sir kitC!  eye-and-ear candy!

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 01:30:39 PM »
KitC i actually saw that Sontronics sigma mic..looks good and well made..yung tunog? yun lang ang hindi ko alam.. 8-).. pero 650$ ngayon sa sam ash.. the Helios looks good too..
Music is art in sound...

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 05:21:14 PM »
News Flash!!! - I just read that the M-Audio  :-o Sputnik is getting rave reviews and was recently awarded Editor's Choice in the mic category by Electronic Musician. not bad for a $700 mic.

uh oh ... i think i will keep myself from looking that up.  haha. to quote the eheads ...

"sana'y hindi nakita, sana'y walang problema pagkat yun lang ang dala kong pera ..."

:lol:
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 06:05:34 PM »
KitC i actually saw that Sontronics sigma mic..looks good and well made..yung tunog? yun lang ang hindi ko alam.. 8-).. pero 650$ ngayon sa sam ash.. the Helios looks good too..

Hey! It's a ribbon, I have a feeling guitar cabs will sound good with it. Vocals and brasses also benefit from ribbons.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 06:15:37 PM »
Must haves, nice-to-haves, gas-inducing posts welcome here.  :-D

No need to raise the flag on who's got one of these, what's important is that we know what's out there so that we can make an educated choice should we reach the point that we can afford one of these. Let's just say that in this thread, price is not an option but if you can afford 'em, more power to you! (and let's do a shootout sometime!  :lol: )

So let me start with a couple of "re-makes". These 2 are based on the classic Neumann U47, the first is the Pearlman TM-1

"A large diaphragm, 6 micron, gold sputtered capsule sends the incoming signal to a New Old Stock WWII Vintage Telefunken  metal tube (electrically identical, except for the heater voltage, to the very expensive Telefunken VF14  used in the famous Neumann U47) to the hand-wired circuit which includes selected WIMA polypropylene coupling capacitors to a state of the art output transformer custom designed  by either the wonderful folks at CINEMAG Transformers in Los Angeles or by the Tamura Transformer Company.

This is NOT an assembly line microphone; each unit is hand-wired, point to point, and voltage tuned for maximum performance.  The microphones were originally built to fill the need for more high quality tube microphones and are now in demand by everyone who has heard them."

And the Peluso 22 47 Limited Edition

"This microphone is inspired by and styled after the "Neumann U-47", which was modified by German Radio in the '70s to incorporate a glass triode tube. That modification brought it up to broadcast standards. The Peluso 22 47 has the additional feature of 9 polar patterns, controlled from the power supply. It captures the low frequency nuances of the original "47" with smooth mids and balanced highs."

That looks like my...

Just kidding.  :-D :-D :-D

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 06:26:34 PM »
The ADK Hamburg and Vienna Editions have been on my radar for some time now, especially with the IIau Custom Shop editions that feature australian (Rode?) designed capsules and british transformers.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2007, 06:27:24 PM »
actually it looks a lot like the se gemini. wonder if it sounds like it too ... hmmm..... ana sa pilipinas merong showroom ng mga ganito no?

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2007, 06:32:12 PM »
actually it looks a lot like the se gemini. wonder if it sounds like it too ... hmmm..... ana sa pilipinas merong showroom ng mga ganito no?

The ADKs?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2007, 06:32:47 PM »

No ADK showroom here, unfortunately. Methinks that you are also the lone SE Gemini "showroom" here unless someone steps up to the plate.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2007, 06:33:25 PM »
no the prearlam and the other mic in the orig post.  the adk is slimmer. 

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2007, 06:35:48 PM »

No ADK showroom here, unfortunately. Methinks that you are also the lone SE Gemini "showroom" here unless someone steps up to the plate.

im also interested in the adk.  any soundclips skunk?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2007, 06:40:34 PM »
How hot does the Gemini get, Haze? I didn't realize it had 2 ECC83s in it.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2007, 06:44:32 PM »
haha, it's funny that you asked kit.  yesterday my client interrupted a vocal take. he looked quite alarmed when he said:

"ma'am nagbabaga yung mic nyo!!"

it gets pretty hot actually, too hot to touch (that didn't sound right)  :evil:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2007, 06:53:40 PM »
haha, it's funny that you asked kit.  yesterday my client interrupted a vocal take. he looked quite alarmed when he said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hot mic for a hot setup.  :-D You have a vocal chain I could only dream about: Gemini > Aphex > RME800. Hats off to you! I'd be happy enough just to get a GT Brick mic pre. Hmmm... what if I expand the thread to include exotic mic pres? Heck! I think I'll expand it to include rarely heard, but good mics and pres, price isn't a determining factor anymore. Everybody's welcome to add to it, sort of like an information repository. Waddaya think?

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2007, 07:15:02 PM »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hot mic for a hot setup.  :-D You have a vocal chain I could only dream about: Gemini > Aphex > RME800. Hats off to you! I'd be happy enough just to get a GT Brick mic pre. Hmmm... what if I expand the thread to include exotic mic pres? Heck! I think I'll expand it to include rarely heard, but good mics and pres, price isn't a determining factor anymore. Everybody's welcome to add to it, sort of like an information repository. Waddaya think?

ay here's one!!! this is something a lot pf people swear by.  they say it's a lot better than the millenia pre's even.  it seems to have this mythical magical powers of making something sound so 3d (sabi nila).

http://www.gordonaudio.com/

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2007, 07:26:24 PM »
libre lang mangarap kaya eto pa!

http://members.aol.com/lucaseng/

these guys have the cheesiest website of them all but you'd be impressed with their client list.  i found out that counting crows used a lot of lucas stuff on their album"august and everythig after".  awesome sounding album.. warm ... full ... creamy ... absolutely delicious!