hulika

Author Topic: Good stand alone overdrive?  (Read 22271 times)

Offline deathbystroke

• Veteran Member
Re: Good stand alone overdrive?
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2007, 08:11:54 PM »

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2007, 03:23:28 AM »
Personally, I dig the Boss BD-2. Nice, fat overdrive.  :wink:

+1,000,000!

the BD-2 will always be my main dirt pedal kahit stock!Mas maganda kapag na phat mod na! :lol:

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2007, 07:41:08 AM »
Aside from Bad Monkey, what's a good stand alone stock overdrive that has big bottom sound and sustain? I heard that SD-1 can take away your Bass tone... Blues Driver they say has annoying chicken picking sound? How about OD3? Kinda steep for the price compared with other Boss pedals... worth it?

Thanks!

Mukhang most of the suggestions turned into what people prefer as their own ODs. :-)

If your strict about your requirements re big bottom and sustain,  baka OD3 at BM ang best bet mo sa local mass-produced pedals.  OD3 has the best, big bottom altho it does not have as smooth and round tone vs. other ODs; neither does it clip like a TS (it's very transparent, like a cranked amp talaga, warts and all).  The BM has bass and treble controls so you can add bass to taste and attenuate the highs for a rounder tone.  It clips and compresses like a TS so it sustains nicely.  But I don't like the click and lack of dynamic control via the gtr vol.

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2007, 09:42:38 AM »
yup, knightburn's orig. info request was for a "stand-alone" pedal with bass and sustain

The BM has the tweakable bass (and treble) control. From my experience with it, with bass on max on a 25w Fender Champ amp (hybrid), that was enough to rattle all the glass inside the house. With a stronger 40w all tube amp, that was enough to shake the walls and ceiling.  :-D

The OD-3 is a louder, but pre-set, mofo than the BM...  no separate bass knob to tweak

Either pedal will give you lots of bass with an amp with a 12" speaker.

But like deltaslim said, the BM doesn't clean up nicely when you back off your guitar's vol. knob...

OT: delta.... what did you mean by "click"?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 09:50:04 AM by vegetablejoe »

Offline blue_raven

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2007, 09:49:01 AM »
i have to agree with delta slim about the od-3. it is very transparent, although when it comes to picking response, it doesn't compare much to a boss sd-1.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2007, 09:54:20 AM »
Aside from Bad Monkey, what's a good stand alone stock overdrive that has big bottom sound and sustain? I heard that SD-1 can take away your Bass tone... Blues Driver they say has annoying chicken picking sound? How about OD3? Kinda steep for the price compared with other Boss pedals... worth it?

Thanks!

Mukhang most of the suggestions turned into what people prefer as their own ODs. :-)

If your strict about your requirements re big bottom and sustain,  baka OD3 at BM ang best bet mo sa local mass-produced pedals.  OD3 has the best, big bottom altho it does not have as smooth and round tone vs. other ODs; neither does it clip like a TS (it's very transparent, like a cranked amp talaga, warts and all).  The BM has bass and treble controls so you can add bass to taste and attenuate the highs for a rounder tone.  It clips and compresses like a TS so it sustains nicely.  But I don't like the click and lack of dynamic control via the gtr vol.

+1 to blues master 'slim :) the OD-3 is a killer clean boost pedal. i've been using a stock OD-3 to boost my ReezaFRATzitz and the Reeza's tone isn't altered by the OD-3 at all. very transparent talaga. my settings are: volume=11:30, gain=zero, tone=11:30. i placed it after the Reeza in my pedal chain :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2007, 10:11:16 AM »
me likes the bd2 and od3 types. dont like the sd1 and ts types. pero i like the mosfet fd2. i'm weird.

Offline leech

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2007, 11:01:08 AM »
ako SD-2 and OD-3. the SD-2 has a very wide range of OD's eh, from almost transparent OD to medium crunch. At certain settings...it can even "almost" emulate the valveboy and BK Butler Tube Driver . But of course, the valveboy and TD has more range/head room in all aspects. The OD-3 naman is also a versatile OD but not like the SD-2. Very transparent also and can do some "hair line" OD's. (think SRV's crystal like tone) parang clean na may konting OD na hindi maintindihan. :lol: And its very good for clean boost too!! Heard and saw it in action in markflo's gig!! Very nice!! :-)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 11:03:09 AM by leech »
...the strong take from the weak...but the wise take from the strong...

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2007, 11:08:35 AM »
OT: delta.... what did you mean by "click"?

At highly compressed settings there seems to be an un-natural "thwack" at the point of attack as you would hear from a real compressor. But this is based on a short test a long time ago at the store with other pedals in the chain (but off) and plugged into a small Peavey amp using a guitar i don't even remember now...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 11:14:50 AM by deltaslim »

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2007, 01:19:03 AM »
the boss DN2 dyna drive looks promising 8-)

Listening to clips of the ZIM by foxrox now and its just SO VERSATILE. Hardrock chug to stones to evrything in between with the voicing knob...damn :oops:

http://http://www.foxroxelectronics.com/
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 01:35:08 AM by pallas »
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline danleo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2007, 07:30:19 AM »
the boss DN2 dyna drive looks promising 8-)

Listening to clips of the ZIM by foxrox now and its just SO VERSATILE. Hardrock chug to stones to evrything in between with the voicing knob...damn :oops:

http://http://www.foxroxelectronics.com/

Yah! Mukahang promising ang Boss DN2, if i'll have the budget and if its available I'll probably get one. :)
You may say I\'m a dreamer. But I\'m not the only one. I know someday you\'ll join us and the world will live as one...

Offline wormnanor

« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2007, 02:32:12 PM »
can i get any preamp lyk sound between the bd2 o BM, coz im choosing din eh...clean boost low gain like rolling stone...correct me if im wrong  hehehehehehe...newbie here tnx mga sirs...
Smooth Domestic Deal: Andrew o_o, xfree, Paolo Duay, CoCa, Liptone/Tonlip International, Mr. Prank_Sinatra, Alcoholicarl, Jflowers, Dual-Mono, Redhot.

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2007, 02:34:47 PM »
can i get any preamp lyk sound between the bd2 o BM, coz im choosing din eh...clean boost low gain like rolling stone...correct me if im wrong  hehehehehehe...newbie here tnx mga sirs...
chief what do you mean by pre-amp sound?yung tipong altered na yung signal to emulate something else?
anyway you can't go wrong with the BD-2 kung gusto mo ng low gain crunch hehe. :lol:

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2007, 03:40:12 PM »
going back to the topic. The VOX tube equiped pedals are good stand alone pedals. sorry kung nasagot ko na to. tinatamad ako mag browse sa pages eh.
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2007, 04:34:03 PM »
going back to the topic. The VOX tube equiped pedals are good stand alone pedals. sorry kung nasagot ko na to. tinatamad ako mag browse sa pages eh.
the cooltron i tried, mas oks pa badmonkey.
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline wutuwutu

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2007, 02:44:50 PM »

as far as i know, taga davao ka sir diba?.. :) wer selling our bd2 if ur interested.. :D tsaka unahan na lang tau kuha sa bm sa music factory.hehehe  :-P

try mo sd1 + od3.. medjo contented with my set up ryt now(pero still gassing for a green monkey).. pg makuha ko na bm, tatlo na silang mga babies ko(sd1, od3, tsaka unggoy)...
Steady lang...

Offline James_Animagi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2007, 02:50:32 PM »
the best ata ung TS-7 na ibanez tube screamer or ung DS-100 boston distortion..kung Overdrive naman ok ung MXR wylde overdrive..syempre depende pa rin sa style ng tugtugan un dun sila makakaiba iba...

Offline knightburn

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2007, 07:06:51 PM »
thanks for the suggestions... di ko nakuha ang OD3  :cry: still eyeing the DOD Integrated Tube Overdrive FX 100 though...
Psalms 33:3 - Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

Ibanez SAS32FM, Washburn Mercury, Ibanez DE7, DOD FX17, MiAudio Crunchbox, Small Clone, Boss RV3, Digitech BadMonkey, Vox 847A, Zoom TriMetal, Fulldrive MOSFET

Offline juzaen

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2007, 04:04:22 PM »
 :? how about the OD-20 by boss.. is there any reviews mga sir? thanks
MY TOYS: 2001 Gibson 1958 Reissue, MesaBoogie subway blues, Springfield armory XDM 40sw, CZ SP01 shadow and MY GLOCK 23 40sw

Offline xelalien

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2007, 02:57:19 AM »
hmmmm, ask ko lang din,
how about a Boss PW2 Power Driver? me nagsabi kasi, ito yung pinaka-matapang na OD pedal ng boss...

Offline cacophony

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2007, 08:49:38 AM »
Marshall Guv'nor! hehehehe! :-D pero ayaw ok ng bumili ng any OD/ Disto... i'm confused with the variety of those... halos lahat pare-parehas lang naman... gusto ko yung nasa Valveking 212 na mismo.. add na lang ako ng equalizer.. just like what PG and had utilized way back his guitar experience... :-D

Offline fastfret

• Netizen Level
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2007, 01:09:18 PM »
Ibanez ts808, try also d arion tube mania :wink:

Offline juan sinko

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2007, 01:17:12 PM »
SD1 Rules pa rin!!!!! SD1 Forever!
JUAN SINKO UPPERS CLUB<br />MoDUS ExPERIMENTUS ako <br />Upping is not a crime

Offline nealyu