hulika

Author Topic: Survival Guide to Guitar Central (based on A True Story)  (Read 91799 times)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Survival Guide to Guitar Central (based on real lessons learned)
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 11:44:08 AM »
Hay naku. Sakit yan ng karamihan dito kasi. The infamous gear wars. There will come a time when one will ultimately say, "Screw GAS, I just wanna play!" because as much as we love guitar equipment (I used to be one of the biggest boutique freaks here), it won't matter much if we don't start using our gear to play music that is meaningful to us. But on the other hand, we need at least decent to good sounding equipment to be able to convey our musical messages with enough clarity.

May this guide lessen the equipment-related wars here! Please lang! Hehe :)

Yeah. I love music more than I love gear. As long as you have decent gear, it's all just supposed to be fun, not a race or competition against others. If I'm gonna buy gear that's worth more than the car I carry it in, I better be the best damn guitar player that my wife will ever see! LOL. But I'm not so I just try to be the best version of myself. ;-)

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 12:34:07 PM »
If I'm gonna buy gear that's worth more than the car I carry it in, I better be the best damn guitar player that my wife will ever see! LOL.

Naw, man. Where's the fun in that?  :lol:
Me, I'm just compensating my guitardedness with nice gear.  :lol: But I promise myself that I'll spend more time woodshedding and try to stick with it. Promise.

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 12:43:56 PM »
Yeah. I love music more than I love gear. As long as you have decent gear, it's all just supposed to be fun, not a race or competition against others. If I'm gonna buy gear that's worth more than the car I carry it in, I better be the best damn guitar player that my wife will ever see! LOL. But I'm not so I just try to be the best version of myself. ;-)

Agreed! Masarap talaga in the end kapag yung gear mo nacacapture ung musical ideas and passion mo within and it's brought forth into existence! But again, dapat you have musical ideas and passion from the start and the intention of bringing those into reality which the gear will enhance.

Masarap talaga mag-Gas pero I find more inspiration when I experience musical and technical improvement by the second. No gear acquisition can beat that. At least for my purposes as an artist. It is more fulfilling and lasting. Then comes the gear that will provide better delivery.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 12:49:15 PM by shredmaestrobri »

Offline rednas

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 11:21:01 AM »
Nice guide.  And you might like to add that people should not easily be offended when people comment about technique, guitars, gears or their idols.  I for one once were easily offended :lol:.  We might blurt out unwanted and unwarranted posts just because we think a comment is an attack when upon better inspection it is not. 
“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” - J.S. Bach

Music Furniture

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2010, 09:35:05 AM »
Idol, you are the man.

Wish I could nominate you for the Supreme Court. But you have to be a lawyer... Wait, it's still not too late. One of my best students is a 50 year old principal at a public elementary school. She performed very well at the law school where I teach.

Congrats on the sticky.
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline v00doochi1d

• Veteran Member
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2010, 07:29:59 AM »
amen to that blues bruddah bossing!!!!  congrats din sa sticky!! blow out naman dyan!!! jowk hehehehe.. pero right is the correct yan ha.. let der be peace and harmony and kindness and happiness to everyone dito sa forum!!!! :mrgreen:

william251082

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2010, 01:12:42 PM »
Nice guide.  And you might like to add that people should not easily be offended when people comment about technique, guitars, gears or their idols.  I for one once were easily offended :lol:.  We might blurt out unwanted and unwarranted posts just because we think a comment is an attack when upon better inspection it is not. 
+999
Huwag masyadong maging pusong mamon. :lol:

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 10:49:53 PM »
Mga sir , naisama na ba sa survival guide ang "never ever badmouth a guitar god/hero unless you are ready for his lightning bolts as in wag mong iinsultuhin si joe satriani o steve vai tatamaan ka ng kidlat"...hehehehe...suggestion lang
'one never fails until he quits trying'

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2010, 12:07:51 AM »
Sa akin lang, research first before posting anything and stating them as "facts."

Offline mrbrownstone

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2010, 12:54:19 PM »
good points sir joric, this thread made me realize how much practice im missing nowadays..well then, back to the woodshed :-D

Offline mike_hd

• Netizen Level
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2010, 04:48:33 AM »

9. When someone makes a personal attack, puts down, or insults a fellow member, or questions their credibility, simply for disagreeing or sharing a contrary opinion, that is not cool and likely against the rules. Proper warnings/sanctions should be given immediately and applied consistently.

question lang, how about the ones who just makes fun of the thread? people who just makes fun of newbies/threads and make posts that instead of helping out someone, they just directly make fun of them? a lot of them are the members who have been here a long time with 1000+ posts  :-) i met some forumers here when trading and such, they really say na palakasan dito  :-)

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2010, 01:04:13 AM »
Mga sir , naisama na ba sa survival guide ang "never ever badmouth a guitar god/hero unless you are ready for his lightning bolts as in wag mong iinsultuhin si joe satriani o steve vai tatamaan ka ng kidlat"...hehehehe...suggestion lang

he who does such should be ready to face thy consequences ... lol  :lol:
“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis
 http://soundcloud.com/jammingpapu

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2010, 10:46:51 PM »
question lang, how about the ones who just makes fun of the thread? people who just makes fun of newbies/threads and make posts that instead of helping out someone, they just directly make fun of them? a lot of them are the members who have been here a long time with 1000+ posts  :-) i met some forumers here when trading and such, they really say na palakasan dito  :-)

OK lang siguro yung kaunting patawa para medyo interesting yung thread kasi minsan talagang merong mga tanong especially tayong mga newbie na medyo nonsense kaya nagiging target tayo ng pangaalaska kaya dapat medyo open-minded tayo. Ang hindi maganda yung mga offensive at sobra nang panglalait at mga name calling na di na kanaisnais.
'one never fails until he quits trying'

Offline markv

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2010, 01:48:53 AM »
^ tama tama. Increase sarcasm detector para walang pikunan.

Madalas kasi ganito eh:

Cannot detect sarcasm:
Abort, retry, fail?

FAIL! :D

Offline toybitz

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2010, 02:02:51 AM »
Delta is Slimfucius...and I am his disciple...

Detlaslim...mah master... *bow*.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline ermonski

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2010, 02:10:51 AM »
you can insult guitarists here i nthere, but one thing's for sure, there is no better guitarist than Chuck Norris.

for he can kill two picks with one note.

when he plays guitar he doesn't pick the note, the note itself plays upon Chuck Norris' presence.

when Chuck Norris plays the guitar, he doesn't need scales and picking to shred. His bare hands turn guitars into sawdust.

on his birthday, Chuck Norris chooses one lucky guitarist to be thrown into the sun.

Chuck Norris once put a turtle inside a blender, we now know the turtle's fragments as Tortex picks.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 03:31:27 AM by ermonski »

Offline fishtank_28

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2010, 12:17:35 PM »
[apple] ang tatalino nyo mga bro..I agree! hehehe

gas gas pa concentrate on playing..peace!

Offline gyrome

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2010, 04:01:16 PM »
[/quote]

sir your words inspired me a lot..
good read.. :-)

Offline pendongpeace

• Netizen Level
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2010, 10:46:31 AM »
galing..well said lahat =)
if you cannot play, display

Online philaxeman

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2010, 02:07:13 PM »
Bookmarked...Words of Wisdom..
"Doing a Bend without makin' a Face..... Is like Eatin' Food without Tastin' it" - Paul Gilbert

Offline sireus

• Veteran Member
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2010, 09:41:28 AM »
once in a while we should take time to read and re-read this so we shall always be reminded...

Offline ermonski

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2010, 04:12:28 AM »
I think everyone will agree on what I will type here, and this not only applies to GC but to the entire Philmusic world:

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS.

huwag patulan at huwag pag-aksayahan ng oras, you do have lives outside the internet, right?

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2010, 04:20:12 PM »
just to reinforce deltaslim's post.  pansin ko ang dadami nanaman mga "pa-help naman" threads running around GC.  :lol:
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2010, 03:58:02 PM »
I updated our "knowledge base" a little, check #1 to 3 but especially #4.

Offline sireus

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2010, 02:05:42 PM »
exactly!!!