hulika

Author Topic: SETTING UP YOUR MULTI-FX  (Read 9032 times)

Offline hetfield_2k2

• Forum Fanatic
SETTING UP YOUR MULTI-FX
« on: April 26, 2013, 03:31:54 AM »
HOW TO SETUP ANY MULTI GUITAR EFFECTS PROCESSOR… THIS IS JUST A CONCEPT SMART ASS ^_^

A few years back when I was still a noob with guitars and FX (as if I'm a master now), I had a hard time finding my own tone. From the very start I was exposed to multi-fx processors (sorry to the stomp box purists) and man it was like hell setting things up because I was just turning the knobs left and right, pushing buttons, scrolling through the menus and all those [gooey brown stuff] stuff that you have to go through when you have a new toy. From a Korg Toneworks G3, Zoom GFX5, Zoom GFX8, Zoom G2.1nu, Vox Tonelab SE, then the Boss ME-70.

It was with the Boss ME70 that I was enlightened of how things really work. The Boss ME70 was fairly simple to use (yeah it has a lot of knobs that you just dial and all the things you need to choose are there, I don’t know if that’s not simple enough for you) and it has this diagram of how the effects chain works. Right after the Boss ME-70, I got hold of a Nux MFX-10 (I said what the [strawberry] did I get myself). Nux is kinda new to the effects world (that’s what I know but from the things I saw on their manual this company is like owned by Cherub, well correct me if I’m wrong). It was actually with this unit that I first read a user’s manual (yeah I was like McGuyver and didn’t need to read the manuals). Whenever I go to the comfort room and take a [gooey brown stuff], I carry with me the Nux MFX-10 user’s manual [strawberry] yeah it’s great reading when you’re taking a [gooey brown stuff]). Then what do you know, I learned a lot from the manual!!! It was then that I knew about pre-amps, cabs, modulations, reverbs, and all of the effects that you’d need to create your own sound. Different types of amplifiers and cabinets (that’s speaker type for those who don’t know) are being simulated by the multi-fx processor. I did not just read how to operate the unit, but I read more on the amp models that the processor is simulating. I read each of the amp models description and how to get the best out of them.

Right after the Nux MFX-10 I got myself a Digitech RP1000 and man it only took me like 2 hours to study that thingy and setup the tones I really want. After the RP1000 I now have the Behringer V-AMP2 which is a pain in the ass at first coz the architecture is very strange. Currently I’m holding a Behringer V-AMP2 and a Boss ME-70. I use the V-AMP2 for my amp models (yes I like the amp modeling of the V-AMP2 more than the ME-70), and the ME-70 is connected to it like a stomp box. So now I have 2 multi-fx at my disposal with gazillions of tones to put out. Now I’m having second thoughts of selling these toys ^_^.

Here’s a few tips to those having a hard time setting up their multi-fx (and also to those who are planning to get one):

In choosing a multi-fx:

1. Read reviews and learn from other’s views and ideas. Just remember that their ideas are not the same as yours and don’t get dissuaded by their words. Just get ideas and digest them afterwards.

2. Read the user’s manual. Even if you don’t have the unit yet and are still planning to buy one, I’d advice you read the user’s manual. Go to the section where you can read the FX that the unit has and what amp and cab models it simulates. If you don’t have any freaking idea what the amp models are, you always have youtube that you can go to and hear the sounds being simulated by the multi-fx.

3. If you can think you can use at least 70-80% of all the stuff that the multi-fx has then go for it. Otherwise stick to stomp boxes and buy the expensive amps you like.

In setting up a multi-fx:

1. Choose the amp/cab models. Tweak it to your favored sound. The amp/cab simulation will be the base of your sound so this would have to be the first that you need to setup.
2. Add the fx you want on the chain: Compressor-Drive-Modulation/Delay-Reverb-Wah and tweak.

There are so many people saying that their multi-fx is like crap, but in reality most of them just don’t understand and they don’t know how to tweak it well. Worst is that they don’t have the patience to learn more about their new toy and then just end up selling it coz they don’t like it.

That’s how simple it is. But as I said it’s still best to go over the user’s manual and you’ll find tons of stuff you didn’t even know it existed. We’re just too lazy to read.

Best of all… Carry the manual with you when you take a crap ^_^ Cheers!

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: SETTING UP YOUR MULTI-FX
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 07:23:37 PM »
with the multi effects units i have been able to use so far one thing seems to be apparent: they've been designed in such a way that you can plug them straight into a mixer and skip the use of a dedicated guitar amp. this means that the amp sims in such models need to be as "smooth" as possible to minimize transients that might damage PA systems.

the tradeoff is that if you plug the multis into actual guitar amps and compared them side by side with analog stompboxes, you'd find that the multis seem to feel "flat" whereas the stomps interact more strongly with the amps' preamp section, and will consequently sound more natural than the multi versions.

thankfully, there are workarounds. creative yet judicious use of the provided eq can bring back some of the interaction with the amp described earlier. in models with speaker simulations, these can be turned off as well.

the best solution (though slightly more difficult) i have come up with involves an a/b box and borrowing a friend's analog stomps. first you try to get your base guitar tone using the stomps, and then duplicate the same tone and response you get from the stomps on the multi using the a/b box to switch between the two signal routs.

Offline Knoy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 09:47:33 PM »
maganda ba ang kalalabasan pag:

guitar>analog(wah>phaser>OD>dist)>digital(set yung preamp, amp modeling and cable, modulation, delay at reverb)>PA system

???

Offline hetfield_2k2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 10:01:23 PM »
If your amp is crap... use the fx/loop and let the magic of the multi fx amp simulation work for you  :-D :-D :-D

Offline Knoy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 12:05:31 AM »
bale po ba ganito:

guitar>analog>input ng ampli>send fx>digital>return fx

???

Offline hetfield_2k2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 12:35:21 AM »
bale po ba ganito:

guitar>analog>input ng ampli>send fx>digital>return fx

???

puwedeng ganito
guitar-multi-return on amp

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 4030E using Tapatalk 2

Offline Knoy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 12:41:23 AM »
akala ko po ba yung amplifier kelangan nakasaksak rin ang send at yung input?
pwede po pala sa return lang isaksak?

Offline hetfield_2k2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 01:10:10 PM »
akala ko po ba yung amplifier kelangan nakasaksak rin ang send at yung input?
pwede po pala sa return lang isaksak?

yes puwede... example is me70 na wala naman send return... so yung output sa me70 isaksak mo lang sa return ng amp ok ka na... bypass mo na yung amplifier hehehe

Offline MYN11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 01:53:50 PM »
with the multi effects units i have been able to use so far one thing seems to be apparent: they've been designed in such a way that you can plug them straight into a mixer and skip the use of a dedicated guitar amp. this means that the amp sims in such models need to be as "smooth" as possible to minimize transients that might damage PA systems.

the tradeoff is that if you plug the multis into actual guitar amps and compared them side by side with analog stompboxes, you'd find that the multis seem to feel "flat" whereas the stomps interact more strongly with the amps' preamp section, and will consequently sound more natural than the multi versions.

thankfully, there are workarounds. creative yet judicious use of the provided eq can bring back some of the interaction with the amp described earlier. in models with speaker simulations, these can be turned off as well.

the best solution (though slightly more difficult) i have come up with involves an a/b box and borrowing a friend's analog stomps. first you try to get your base guitar tone using the stomps, and then duplicate the same tone and response you get from the stomps on the multi using the a/b box to switch between the two signal routs.

This is not the case anymore with the Fractal AxeFx2.

Offline rickbig41

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 01:58:31 PM »
I tried this  one but never worked well -  guitar -> hm200 - > G1x - > Amplifier...what do you think sir/s is the problem with my set up? maingay siya masyado, nilagay ko na nga sa pinakaminimum yung level tapos gain ng HM200, maingay pa din siya...
Those who did not learn from history are meant to repeat it...

Offline hetfield_2k2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 02:08:58 PM »
This is not the case anymore with the Fractal AxeFx2.

sir ibang usapan na yung fractal... its the creme dela creme of multi’s hehehe... hindi talaga macocompare yung mga floor based processors sa fractal

Offline hetfield_2k2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 02:10:40 PM »
I tried this  one but never worked well -  guitar -> hm200 - > G1x - > Amplifier...what do you think sir/s is the problem with my set up? maingay siya masyado, nilagay ko na nga sa pinakaminimum yung level tapos gain ng HM200, maingay pa din siya...

sir try this:
guitar-hm100-g1x-amp

Offline alalala

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 02:13:23 PM »
Try setting the amp at neutral settings and start with the gain at minimum kasi yung kinakabit na drive pedals sa front parang additional gain stage sa amp, also record the sound coming out kung sapat na sa gain for the mix, madalas ay naghahanap tayo ng too much gain pero di natin  kailangan, ang nagyayari sobrang mushy ang results. kung may amp sims yung multi, try using the return stage ng effects if your amp has one para di maghalo yung character ng amp sim at ng preamp, basically your amp acts as the power section for the amp sim kasi bypassed na yung preamp stage niya..
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 02:16:33 PM by alalala »
We do electrics,acoustics, and basses:electronics/body repairs, refrets/fretboard recond. and custom graphics/airbrush painting/refinishing, 4304394/09156538433 http://www.facebook.com/al11011957

Offline hetfield_2k2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 02:41:10 PM »
Try setting the amp at neutral settings and start with the gain at minimum kasi yung kinakabit na drive pedals sa front parang additional gain stage sa amp, also record the sound coming out kung sapat na sa gain for the mix, madalas ay naghahanap tayo ng too much gain pero di natin  kailangan, ang nagyayari sobrang mushy ang results. kung may amp sims yung multi, try using the return stage ng effects if your amp has one para di maghalo yung character ng amp sim at ng preamp, basically your amp acts as the power section for the amp sim kasi bypassed na yung preamp stage niya..

take this advise and try tge connection i told you... experementing will lead you to the tone you like

Offline Knoy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 02:44:59 PM »
yes puwede... example is me70 na wala naman send return... so yung output sa me70 isaksak mo lang sa return ng amp ok ka na... bypass mo na yung amplifier hehehe

the bolded phrase po ba means patayin yung switch?
(sorry po sir, nalilito lang po ako)

Offline hetfield_2k2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 03:29:01 PM »
the bolded phrase po ba means patayin yung switch?
(sorry po sir, nalilito lang po ako)

lets do an example.
1. guitar connected straight to input of amp
2. guitar connected to return of amp

subukan mo yung dalawang connection na yan and you will notice the difference. connection 1 may amplification. connection 2 raw sound ng guitar mo.

Offline Knoy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 03:36:43 PM »
lets do an example.
1. guitar connected straight to input of amp
2. guitar connected to return of amp

subukan mo yung dalawang connection na yan and you will notice the difference. connection 1 may amplification. connection 2 raw sound ng guitar mo.

ah, OK po. nasubukan ko po yung no, 2 nun pero umuugong sya (ibang klaseng feedback)..
nasa rehearsal studio po kami nun kaya di ko pa na-troubleshoot.
try ko po ule. practice amp lang ang meron sa bahay, walang 2 pang loop
thanks po.
 :)

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
Does this mean that for multi-fx to be really dug in, mandatory na kukuha ka ng amp na effect loop?
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline hetfield_2k2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 12:42:49 AM »
Does this mean that for multi-fx to be really dug in, mandatory na kukuha ka ng amp na effect loop?

not necessarily... but it would be nice to have an fx loop

Offline MYN11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 01:23:55 AM »
The best way for multis to really shine is to plug them straight to powered monitors or direct to PA. Pag sa guitar amp kasi nakukulayan pa. And yun nga not all amps have fx loop.

Offline rowley75

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 01:26:16 AM »
The best way for multis to really shine is to plug them straight to powered monitors or direct to PA. Pag sa guitar amp kasi nakukulayan pa. And yun nga not all amps have fx loop.

pwede sir rey saksak nalang sa power amp+cab? para rack+cab nalang? haha!
Live by honor, Kill by stealth.

Offline MYN11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 02:01:46 AM »
pwede sir rey saksak nalang sa power amp+cab? para rack+cab nalang? haha!

Yep puwede yan Rem. Ginawa ko na yan dati sa Eleven Rack into a Mesa Boogie 2:90 power amp plus Cab. Maganda kung sa maganda ang tone, pero iba ang brilyo ng multis pag direct talaga. Defeated kasi ang purpose ng modelling kung sa guitar amp ka magsasaksak.

But then again, dapat babad ang tenga mo sa "cd quality" tone pag nag powered monitors/direct to PA route ka. Misinterpreted kasi na manipis agad ang multis pag direct pero ang hindi alam ng guitar players e hindi lang sila sanay sa cd quality tone kasi for the longest time "amp in the room" tone ang naririnig nila.

Offline xaeroblade

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 02:18:34 AM »
When I was a total noob when it comes to using my multi, I pretty much used presets up until I knew how to make my own settings. But it is not until recently I, in a way, used the true potential of my multi. Personally I love using the FX/Loop of the amps so I pretty much get what I made from my multi-effects. BTW Korg AX1500G user here :)
Bands: Project:Materia and

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 02:20:21 AM »
But then again, dapat babad ang tenga mo sa "cd quality" tone pag nag powered monitors/direct to PA route ka. Misinterpreted kasi na manipis agad ang multis pag direct pero ang hindi alam ng guitar players e hindi lang sila sanay sa cd quality tone kasi for the longest time "amp in the room" tone ang naririnig nila.
That is an excellent point.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline rowley75

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 07:51:03 AM »
Yep puwede yan Rem. Ginawa ko na yan dati sa Eleven Rack into a Mesa Boogie 2:90 power amp plus Cab. Maganda kung sa maganda ang tone, pero iba ang brilyo ng multis pag direct talaga. Defeated kasi ang purpose ng modelling kung sa guitar amp ka magsasaksak.

Sabagay.. Parang nasanay sa natural room reverb. Anyways, kainggit yung pangalawang kumuha ng axefx2 kay jef hahahaha!!
Live by honor, Kill by stealth.