hulika

Author Topic: Why I think MIJ Sucks (Not that much though LOL)  (Read 54335 times)

Offline bryvincent

• Veteran Member
Re: Why I think MIJ Sucks (Not that much though LOL)
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2012, 10:58:45 PM »

Offline Van*

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 11:38:55 PM »
Nope ... they don't cut it.  For the past twenty years since I started guitar I NEVER found an Ibanez guitar with magic sa dami ng sinubukan ko at binili ko.
saan mo naman gagamitin ang magic?
What you own, owns you.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 05:29:50 AM »
Taku Sakashta

He was based in the USA and would fine tune cars in Japan... but sadly he passed away.  Cliff Cultreri was going to help him launch and distribute his guitar line in the U.S.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 08:51:49 AM »
this beats that, those beat these...

i am wondering why this doesn't count as one of those pointless cliche threads that get locked on sight.

1. amusement -i ain't gonna lie, sh*t like this keeps the forum amusing
2. the generalized statement doesn't hold true so why take it seriously?
3. the statement, opinion and basis is largely coming from a limited experience set -not an industry professional, not a touring or performing musician or not a trained luthier so why lose energy to get riled up over it?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:00:11 AM by abyssinianson »
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline boybangs

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2012, 09:03:57 AM »
3. the statement, opinion and basis is largely coming from a limited experience set -not an industry professional, not a touring or performing musician or not a trained luthier so why lose energy to get riled up over it?

:)
Google is your friend.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2012, 09:14:28 AM »
saan mo naman gagamitin ang magic?

Sa bahay ko... Saan pa.  Ikaw saan mo gagamitin?  Sa local club o gig na mababa ang standard sa P.A., na maliit ang bayad, na halos hindi napupuntahan, na most of the time maliit ang budget/o wala at expected pa maghakot ng mga manonood.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2012, 09:19:24 AM »

(Its NOT [gooey brown stuff]...  I used to be a fanboy of Made in Japan guitars over USA guitars and that seriously changed when my baker firemodel#55 arrived.)
(It holds true in a lot of cases, so better take it seriouisly.)
(There is one difference -- I can hear better than others and more importantly I can FEEL the character and magic of instruments which leads me to believe that you cannot despite your experience.  Statements like yours betray your inexperience in selecting great sounding guitars.  I apologize for being personal but I am NOT taking this [gooey brown stuff] from you ANYMORE given that you have NOT tried my gear nor have you brought your gear for comparison.)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:21:37 AM by firemodel55 »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2012, 09:20:39 AM »
:)

My two cents, I think instead of posting smileys its better for you to get your head out of the sand and start listening.  :)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2012, 09:46:15 AM »

hah! nice. nice. seems i touched a nerve. "Statements like yours betray your inexperience in selecting great sounding guitars" -i like that though, definitely my favorite rebuttal.

i'd love to chat but i got a gig in 2 hours -stay comfy sa bahay with your gear and don't drink too much of the hate-o-reade.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:00:10 AM by abyssinianson »

Offline Jason

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2012, 10:06:38 AM »
He was based in the USA and would fine tune cars in Japan... but sadly he passed away.  Cliff Cultreri was going to help him launch and distribute his guitar line in the U.S.

so someone's still try to continue his legacy?
Sucessful transactions: haha,Siore,Slowhandpal,ramnem,halo88,Bluemech,mghz33,Yhongers,Martney,Acousticky,OmegaRed,queking,sinonieayako,anton_mtegtr,indiemax,DyuN WhammY,

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2012, 10:28:39 AM »
so someone's still try to continue his legacy?

there might be. word on the street was one of his students was going to take on his existing build cue. he had a few apprentices over the years and had close relationships with big archtop/flattop luthiers. to date, his wife Kazuko would know more  but she doesn't build guitars or go to the luthier industry shows. i was at Newport and Healdsburg this year and some of his notable past apprentices were in attendance and if anything they would know whats up. i personally know some of his old students and can ask.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 11:16:36 AM by abyssinianson »

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2012, 10:51:54 AM »
i know somebody who is a person in direct contact with Tokai, I would like to share the following:

1.) In the late 50s and early 60s, Mr. Adachi bought the best Gibson guitar he could find. The family did the same thing with Fender a decade later. These guitars serve as "master" guitars, which still hang on the wall of the Tokai factory up to this day. All Tokai guitars are built to the specs of these master guitars.

2.) When Tokai was threatened with lawsuits from the big companies, they kept all the wood in the factory. Those aged in storage. When they resumed making Fender copies three years ago, those were the same wood that were used. I consider the people who bought their Tokais from Lyric back in 2010 lucky, as those were the guitars from the 2009 batch.

3.) Mr. Adachi never meant to copy Gibson and Fender, but rather instill Japanese production methods for utmost quality to surpass American standards.

..at the end of the day, whatever guitar, whichever, suites your taste is the guitar that is...

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2012, 11:14:14 AM »
i know somebody who is a person in direct contact with Tokai, I would like to share the following:

1.) In the late 50s and early 60s, Mr. Adachi bought the best Gibson guitar he could find. The family did the same thing with Fender a decade later. These guitars serve as "master" guitars, which still hang on the wall of the Tokai factory up to this day. All Tokai guitars are built to the specs of these master guitars.

(I seriously doubt that there was a 50s or early 60s Gibson Les Paul with a two piece mahogany body that Tokai has on most of the lower end models, so I think built to specs is limited to certain models and I don't know which one.  If I compare my Gil Yaron to Tokai, malayo ang itsura, shape and feel.  But the bad part is a lot of the tokais sound as bad as their Gibson counterparts.)

2.) When Tokai was threatened with lawsuits from the big companies, they kept all the wood in the factory. Those aged in storage. When they resumed making Fender copies three years ago, those were the same wood that were used. I consider the people who bought their Tokais from Lyric back in 2010 lucky, as those were the guitars from the 2009 batch.

(Just to clarify, the most of the Tokai guitars at Lyric sound dead.  May isang exception na maganda but even on Arie's Tokai which he believes Tokai used a good batch of wood, walang sinabi sa tunog ng kahoy ng Fender Custom Shop Telecaster ko.  And suppose to be aged na ang kahoy ng gitara ni Arie sa kakagamit.  Just to clarify, I consider these more as exceptions than the rule.)

3.) Mr. Adachi never meant to copy Gibson and Fender, but rather instill Japanese production methods for utmost quality to surpass American standards.

(I don't think Tokai ever surpassed American Standards noong 50s and I don't think they surpass quality ng Custom Shop today.)

..at the end of the day, whatever guitar, whichever, suites your taste is the guitar that is...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 11:15:58 AM by firemodel55 »

Offline Freak

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2012, 11:18:28 AM »

nuff said... end of discussion

Offline stratboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2012, 12:48:44 PM »
Can "magic" be heard? What does "magic" do to the person wielding the guitar? Is it quantifiable? If us lesser beings aren't able to quantify "magic" are we doomed to bad sounding gear forever? Should we not even try?
Please clarify because you keep mentioning the term.

Oh, another thing. I asked this question in another thread but you never got back to me, what's your favorite recorded guitar tone? So us plebeians can try and aim for something.

Offline gnarly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2012, 12:58:18 PM »
i'm gassing for a tokai lp pero i chose 2 epiphone guitars over a single guitar. no regrets though but someday i'd like to buy an mij guitar.

Offline IncX

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2012, 01:00:10 PM »
when i was in elementary... i had this classmate who was always "kuya owen this and kuya owen that"

at first i believed him, cause hey, this 'kuya owen' guy really knows his stuff... so it came to a point where this classmate knows a lot of things because he always has 'kuya owen' in his side. it went on and on, until it became ridiculous.

im sorry, but 'arie' is beginning to sound like kuya owen to me.

Offline gutz_3110

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2012, 01:21:16 PM »
I dig everything Japanese. Yes, including the chicks. lol So I don't have a problem with Jap guitars.  :-D

LOL! ako din  :-D

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2012, 01:51:13 PM »
when i was in elementary... i had this classmate who was always "kuya owen this and kuya owen that"

at first i believed him, cause hey, this 'kuya owen' guy really knows his stuff... so it came to a point where this classmate knows a lot of things because he always has 'kuya owen' in his side. it went on and on, until it became ridiculous.

im sorry, but 'arie' is beginning to sound like kuya owen to me.

I can also compare to micsis if you want but... I am NOT doing that because Arie is humble enough to admit if something or someone is better than him.  So I think, you have NOT tried Arie as a luthier and you are missing a lot.

Offline paul_sigua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2012, 02:15:20 PM »

No offense but, we all know that you can't play. How do you know that a specific guitar *sounds great*  when you can't even make "music" with them?

How do you test guitars? What do you play?

Offline trem3

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2012, 02:27:39 PM »
No offense but, we all know that you can't play. How do you know that a specific guitar *sounds great*  when you can't even make "music" with them?

uh bends perhaps? you gotta make it hiyaw ya know.
Click Here

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2012, 02:30:03 PM »
subscribed for teh lulz
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2012, 03:00:43 PM »
thizizit! :lol:

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2012, 03:29:29 PM »

Hmmmm. Let me see, ears?
"If you want to play like the big boys, you've got to play what the big boys play"

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2012, 03:38:08 PM »
mauuwi na naman to sa Tone Vs Skills  :eek: