hulika

Author Topic: Is this a real MIJ Greco? Please help! I wanna buy this.  (Read 1839 times)

Offline ajts

• Veteran Member
Is this a real MIJ Greco? Please help! I wanna buy this.
« on: September 25, 2009, 07:04:50 PM »
Hi everyone!

Forum newb here. I registered last night because an ad post caught my eye --> http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,146762.0.html

Now I'm wondering, is this a real early 70s Japanese Greco?

I'm kinda confused with the conflicting details of this guitar... I'm serious about buying the guitar but if it's not an MIJ Greco then I won't get it as that's what I'm looking for.

Reasons why I'm confused:

1. The Greco logo is "skinnier" than most early 70s Greco logos.... skinnier than any Greco logo I've seen, actually.

2. The Greco logo doesn't look like "Gneco" which is a characteristic of the early Grecos (pre-1975... if I'm not mistaken).

3. The emblem below the Greco logo does look like the 80s Japanese logo... which is weird for an early 70s model.

4. Usually, no serial Grecos are MIK... but that's in the 80s.... this one is supposedly made during the 70s.

5. But.... the neck is bolt-on, which is accurate of early 70s Grecos.

6. According to the seller, the backplate says "Made In Japan" but there's no serial number which I believe should be there since it's an early Japanese model???

As you can see, contradicting yung points na nakikita ko regarding this guitar. On some points, parang early Japanese nga, pero on some points, parang 80s Korean... 'di ko malaman kung orig talaga. I am not a Greco expert and I could be wrong with the things I pointed out above.... any Greco / vintage Jap guitar experts out there, please help me out and feel free to correct me if I said anything wrong.

I'd love to buy this Greco, but I wanna make sure it's the real deal, syempre. No offense to the seller who has been very accomodating in answering my questions.

For everybody's convenience, here are the pics he posted in his ad -->

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Is this a real MIJ Greco? Please help! I wanna buy this.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 07:21:31 PM »
If you wanna get a les paul (even knock offs) better get the ones with set neck.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline shodawmoon

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 07:45:25 PM »
it's real. it's just beat up. i suggest you try it first and then judge it from there if you like it or not. no harm in doing so. :-)

and AFAIK....early 70's Grecos don't have S/N's.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 07:58:18 PM by shodawmoon »

Offline ajts

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 07:51:46 PM »
If you wanna get a les paul (even knock offs) better get the ones with set neck.

Thanks, the bolt-on neck doesn't really bother me at all, but I see your point. :)

And yeah, I don't want the real Gibson thing, I want the Japanese knock-offs.:D

Offline ajts

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 07:54:21 PM »
it's real. it's just beat up. i suggest you try it first and then judge it from there if you like it or not. no harm in doing so. :-)

Thanks. Any reason why you say it's the real thing?

You know, one of the reasons why I fell in love with the looks of this guitar is because it's so damn beat up!  :-D

Offline shodawmoon

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 08:00:27 PM »
Thanks. Any reason why you say it's the real thing?

You know, one of the reasons why I fell in love with the looks of this guitar is because it's so damn beat up!  :-D
AFAIK early 70's Grecos don't have S/N's on them. but they do have the MIJ stamp on the neck plate. and i used to have an LP just like this. No pics available sorry. :-)

although you do have some points about the conflicting details. and i know the guy, he won't dupe you. :-)

Offline nhojie

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 08:39:16 PM »
and with the price tag on it...its a grab!!!

very nice LP!!!
\\\\\\\"watch a man play for an hour and u can learn more about him than in talking to him for a year\\\\\\\"-PLATO

Offline ajts

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 01:24:10 AM »
AFAIK early 70's Grecos don't have S/N's on them. but they do have the MIJ stamp on the neck plate. and i used to have an LP just like this. No pics available sorry. :-)

although you do have some points about the conflicting details. and i know the guy, he won't dupe you. :-)

Thanks for the info, shodawmoon!

And no, I didn't even think for a second na he's trying to dupe me or anything... baka lang malay ko hindi sya aware or something in case na hindi pala authentic yung Greco nya, that's why I'm asking. 'Di ko naman sya pinagdududahan personally. But thanks for your vote of confidence for him, kasi my brother is eyeing the guitar as well. Kung hindi ko man kunin, baka sya ang bumili. Will see. I'll post my gear for trade muna in the other section to try my luck. :)

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 02:14:03 AM »
truss rod cover and 3 screws are not correct. look at the letter R. kung 60s to early 70s dapat parang letter N. kung mid 70s pataas dapat walang bilog sa taas ng R.

punta ka sa http://www.grecoed.com/ daming catalog dun
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 02:28:30 AM by royc »

Offline ajts

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 02:55:25 AM »
truss rod cover and 3 screws are not correct. look at the letter R. kung 60s to early 70s dapat parang letter N. kung mid 70s pataas dapat walang bilog sa taas ng R.

punta ka sa http://www.grecoed.com/ daming catalog dun

Exactly, man.... you're right with the truss rod cover and the 3 screws....

And 'yung Greco dapat parang "Gneco" diba pag early 70s.... saka yung letter G "rounded" at walang "sweep" sa may upper part. although syempre, that's why I'm asking around kasi nga medyo mahirap din talaga i-determine ang mga Greco.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 02:56:52 AM by ajts »

Offline fongvodka

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 01:14:34 AM »
sir royc,resident tokai and greco expert.thanks for the link.
see you in the next life brother,and dont be late.

Offline juan_portnoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 02:24:02 PM »
hmmm..
We're all entitled to our own dementia.  :-P

Offline charles55

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 02:33:09 PM »
Ganito Greco ko..itim lang..beat up na din.hehe..pero solid tumunog.
may plate din, made in japan nakalagay..hehe

Offline shodawmoon

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 08:22:39 PM »
Exactly, man.... you're right with the truss rod cover and the 3 screws....

And 'yung Greco dapat parang "Gneco" diba pag early 70s.... saka yung letter G "rounded" at walang "sweep" sa may upper part. although syempre, that's why I'm asking around kasi nga medyo mahirap din talaga i-determine ang mga Greco.
interestingly enough....i agree....hmmmm....

Offline dirazon

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 10:44:04 PM »
Looks real but I don't recall greco having 3 screws sa truss rod cover. Saka dapat mukhang "n" yung r sa mga early 70s bolt-on na greco.  Tatlo na ata na greco nakita ko na ganito.  Research ka sa mga catalog.