hulika

Author Topic: neck types  (Read 921 times)

Offline johnny_jackhammers

• Veteran Member
neck types
« on: July 20, 2010, 12:20:11 PM »
i was in perfect pitch the other day trying out a bunch of telecasters. i was trying out this squier telecustom and was surprised how much i liked the pickups but remember thinking that this neck is a bit awkward. so i tried out the fender tele made in mexico and then the US version. i figured that this "awkwardness" maybe because it was a squier. they all felt the same though...

apparently its the c shaped neck that felt strange to me. i've only been exposed to strat type necks, but i love the sound of the tele because it's quite distinct.

my question is, what is the function of this c type neck in terms of playability and sound?

Offline pualux

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: neck types
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 01:59:31 PM »
hmmm dpende sayo....para sakin ok siya sa vibrato...i mean mas may control pero that's just me,

Offline neicon27

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 02:14:20 PM »
IMO,  neck profile ( C, U, V, etc ) depends on how your hand and fingers fit the neck.  in my case mas type ko yung soft V neck kasi mas comfortable yung grip ko dun sa neck.

mas comfortable ako sa neck =  mas maayos ang tugtog ko  (kahit sablay. bwahahaha) :-)
"Learn the rules before you break them.  That way you'd know if your breaking them right."

Offline johnny_jackhammers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 02:21:41 PM »
i know the kneck profile has something to do with the sound din diba? i mean, i know this is true with bass. like a one piece maple neck sounds different then one with a rosewood fingerboard. the spacing of the frets and the number of frets din...

Offline juan_portnoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 03:06:06 PM »
Here's a good article about neck shapes from sweetwater.com:

http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/guitars/electric-guitars/buying-guide.php

Profiles: A "C," "U," or "V?"
Neck profile (the "shape" of the neck) is probably the most personal element of a guitar. It affects how your hand and fingers "fit" the neck and how easily you can move from fret to fret. From early on acoustic guitars employed some variation of a "C" shape. Electric guitar makers have experimented extensively and a variety of profiles have evolved with the preferences of players. Jeff Beck's favorite Fender Stratocasters had a very fat "C" shape; current models of Fender's Custom Artist Jeff Beck Signature Strat have a smaller "C" to be more player-friendly.

Similar to the "C" is the oval neck profile. This offers a less pronounced curve at the back and has its followers. On the other side is the "U" - an almost-rectangular shape that appeared on many Fenders - perhaps best for players with long fingers. And Eric Clapton has favored a "V" neck that provides a comfortable groove down the middle. A variation on this is the "inverted V," that is thicker on the bass side and thinner on the treble side.

Width is as much a factor in the neck profile as shape, leading some guitar makers to abandon the letter analogy and begin describing profiles as "wide-fat" or "regular-thin" and so on, in which widths are "wide, regular or narrow" and depths range from "fat to regular to thin." This often provides a clearer description of the profile and can help you when you're shopping for guitars online. Parker and Paul Reed Smith use these types of descriptions.

I personally like the Ibby wizard necks. I'd love to try the baseball bat type necks of the 52' Teles someday.

We're all entitled to our own dementia.  :-P

Offline dark_7

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 04:00:41 PM »
masasanay ka din jan..kung ibang type ng neck dati ang ginagamit mo at di mo gamay yun..tas pag tumagal at nakakapagplay ka na ng maayos sa type ng neck na yun..it means nag improve ka din..kasi naadopt ng kamay mo yung ganong type ng neck.. :lol:
pero makakatulong sayo yung nasa taas..^^^ :wink:
..every artist was first an amateur..