hulika

Author Topic: Jazz Punk Rock  (Read 9917 times)

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Jazz Punk Rock
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2008, 03:46:42 PM »
Well there's always:

"Punk Jazz" was just a posthumously released anthology though, named after one of Jaco's compositions. But even when he was in Weather Report, when he was asked to describe what he called his music, he would always answer "punk jazz".

I also saw this Polish import on Amazon:

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 03:49:27 PM by Jim Ayson »
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2008, 08:34:04 PM »
Jazz Punk Rock? Greg Howe. Trio Of Doom? (Jaco, Mclaughlin, Billy C. on drums)  :-D

Offline bluesjazzrock

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2008, 09:04:24 PM »
Mixing "JAZZ" and "PUNK" ?  :roll:
Jazz + Punk = "JUNK"  :-o

But Im not saying thats impossible, hehe. Music is like Universe.

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2008, 09:09:26 PM »
Jazz Punk Rock? Greg Howe. Trio Of Doom? (Jaco, Mclaughlin, Billy C. on drums)  :-D

Actually the Trio of Doom was Jaco Pastorious, John McLaughlin, and Tony Williams... but point taken!

Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline yahoo!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2008, 09:37:24 PM »
eto pwede na ito pero prog + jazz + metal  :-D :-D

http://www.myspace.com/7for4

itchybrain

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 12:10:47 AM »

^ I imagine END OF MAN playing their version of Come On, Come Over. :-D

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2008, 08:13:03 PM »
Actually the Trio of Doom was Jaco Pastorious, John McLaughlin, and Tony Williams... but point taken!

Ay onga pala sorry, SABAAAW. I've been sleeping at 2am every day for the past month  :-P

Offline Bombmer

• Netizen Level
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2008, 10:06:52 PM »
Wahahahahahahah! when i was in Highskool i play punk song pero usualy kinig lang!! pero ngaun?? HipHOP nako Hheheheheheh nag RNB BAND kc!!!

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2008, 02:28:54 AM »
Check out John Zorn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_zorn

The first I heard about him was his mind-blowing cover of Iggy and The Stooges' TV Eye.

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2009, 10:01:39 AM »
Is it too late to post?  :-D

Hehehehe yup +1 kay Deadwing.

Check John Zorn and his works with Bill Frisell, Joey Baron, Kermit Driscoll, etc.

Start with Zorn's NAKED CITY, FLESH FOR LULU, and NEWS for LULU.

I'd highly recommend Spy vs. Spy (Zorn playing the music of Ornette Coleman).
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2009, 10:23:54 AM »
+1 to zorn's mulitple projects

also check out last exit (sonny sharock, peter brotzman, bill laswell, uhm forgot the drummer)

lounge lizards is one of my favorite bands, naked city (another zorn band), boredoms (another favorite check out anything with yamatsuka/yamantaka eye), also just heard this new-ish justin broadrick (napalm death/godflesh) trio on last fm.

just type in john zorn in last.fm and see where it takes you

trying to find like minded musicians here in davao to form a trio in a similar vein....hopeless :(
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2009, 08:46:18 AM »
Sir Chuck :-)

we can bounce tracks via .mp3 huh? A virtual project on the genre would be great...

Before I forget:

The one with John Zorn, Mike Patton and Keiji Haino - is that Yamatsuka Eye?

At first i thought Zorn was all about harmonics, but man - the guy swings - Hard!
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2009, 10:39:08 AM »
we can bounce tracks via .mp3 huh? A virtual project on the genre would be great...

its possible...but somehow i feel music of this nature is really a live improv thing with everyone in the same room feeding off each other..parang may mawawala sa overdubbing etc...hmmm...

The one with John Zorn, Mike Patton and Keiji Haino - is that Yamatsuka Eye?

yamatsuka eye is the lead screamer/leader of the boredoms. he was in naked city too for awhile i think. i doubt he and mike patton were in the same combo together, they cover a lot of the same ground...besides the universe would explode from sheer awesomeness hehe i think he's changed his name a few times...yamantaka eye etc

zorn and patton were together in painkiller but the vid i saw had fred firth on guitar, bill laswell on bass, and mick harris (ex napalm death again-whats with all these death metal guys moving over to free/improv?) on drums

At first i thought Zorn was all about harmonics, but man - the guy swings - Hard!

im really digging the albert ayler stuff i hear on last.fm. his tone is so deep and throaty and apocalyptic. like nina simone's voice. like hearing black sabbath for the first time :)
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2009, 02:15:29 PM »

its possible...but somehow i feel music of this nature is really a live improv thing with everyone in the same room feeding off each other..parang may mawawala sa overdubbing etc...hmmm...

Agreed. It has to be captured 'in the moment' stuff. Otherwise, it would sound sterile.

RE: Ayler, I have limited material from him though. I need to check him more. :-)

OT: On death guys doing free/improv, check Steve "El Duende" Di Giorgio's DARKHALL (Prog-metal-fusion) Project with free mp3s. (Di Giorgio is the bassist for Iced Earth, Sadus, Vintersorg, etc.). Cool.  :-D

Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline nhojie

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2009, 09:40:36 PM »
Well there's always:

"Punk Jazz" was just a posthumously released anthology though, named after one of Jaco's compositions. But even when he was in Weather Report, when he was asked to describe what he called his music, he would always answer "punk jazz".

I also saw this Polish import on Amazon:

MISMO, boss Jim!

JACO rules! :evil:
\\\\\\\"watch a man play for an hour and u can learn more about him than in talking to him for a year\\\\\\\"-PLATO

Offline ioffendpeople

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2009, 03:28:21 PM »
I'm suprised nobody's mentioned Greg Ginn. I know him best for his work in Black Flag (of which I'm a huge fan) but a lot of his later works incorporate freestyle jazz in his playing. Henry Rollins even compared him to well-known free jazz saxophonists such as Ornette Coleman.

Offline phfreq

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2009, 01:12:02 AM »
Can hear punk influences in Don Caballero though others classify them as math rock..

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2009, 03:14:09 PM »
I'm suprised nobody's mentioned Greg Ginn. I know him best for his work in Black Flag (of which I'm a huge fan) but a lot of his later works incorporate freestyle jazz in his playing. Henry Rollins even compared him to well-known free jazz saxophonists such as Ornette Coleman.

Can hear punk influences in Don Caballero though others classify them as math rock..

Okey I'll check this out mga seņor. Thanks sa info.

Speaking of math core...

Anybody into Dillinger Escape Plan?
 :-D

Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline phfreq

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2009, 09:30:52 PM »
Okey I'll check this out mga seņor. Thanks sa info.

Speaking of math core...

Anybody into Dillinger Escape Plan?
 :-D

...I'm not worthy to be called senor, ordinaryong music lover lang po :-)

was into grind core / math core some time ago.. astig DEP pero lately parang medyo nagiba.. Was into them when Chris Pennie is their drummer. Ngayon si Billy Rymer na. Ok pa rin naman pero baka bumalik ako sa cycle na jazz songs ang gusto ko ulit :-).. Kung medyo heavy gusto ko pakinggan lately, isis, pelican and the likes... I guess mostly dark din ang trip ko lately. (BTW, in the DEP drummers site [billyrymer.com] there's a video there "duets" -- this is him playing along to dark synths. Ok din ung iba nyang videos don..

Kung trip mo DEP, try mo rin Behold... the Arctopus.. ;-)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 09:32:47 PM by phfreq »