hulika

Author Topic: Drumset Tuning and Head Selection thread  (Read 146589 times)

Offline music_en_sound

Re: How do YOU get your perfect Bass drum sound?
« Reply #550 on: April 01, 2013, 11:56:09 PM »
for me, medium to loose tension on batter and medium to tight on reso with or w/o hole on reso, with or w/o mic and for indoor or in open ground set up.... my preferd bass drum tuning.
Array

Offline yekoz

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #551 on: April 02, 2013, 11:49:19 AM »
REMO (Powersonic on Batter medium to tight) and (any Reso with 5" hole medium to tight). good tuning is must. 8-)

will add Kickport(for Obese or Fat sound) and check the output. 8-)

Offline hi-def

« Reply #552 on: April 03, 2013, 06:16:19 PM »
Get the Evans Emad or Remo power stroke pro. even without pillows inside they sound great. considering you tune them correctly :)

Offline jake z

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #553 on: April 03, 2013, 07:30:23 PM »
Get the Evans Emad or Remo power stroke pro. even without pillows inside they sound great. considering you tune them correctly :)

"Considering you tune them correctly" how can you tune them correctly?

That will be the hardest part, we don't have the same taste when it comes to tuning.

Offline thegame41

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #554 on: April 03, 2013, 08:38:06 PM »
maganda ba yung powersonic?

Offline yekoz

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #555 on: April 05, 2013, 09:23:24 AM »
maganda ba yung powersonic?

It dampens the batter head with 3 concentric foams, IMHO pillow should be used for sleeping... he he he... 8-)

Offline jake z

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #556 on: April 05, 2013, 10:03:23 AM »
pillow should be used for sleeping... he he he... 8-)

+1000

Offline yekoz

• Forum Fanatic
Tips on getting the Low or Deep sound of your Floor toms
« Reply #557 on: April 10, 2013, 03:22:48 PM »
Hi all,

Just made a trial and error last saturday and just configuring and experimenting on my floor toms and stumble upon this. I was looking for a better sound of my 16" floor and tom.

Tried hanging it by using ISS mount it sound great but it needs a better mount it always fall. Then I reversed the Floor tom legs i.e. instead of the usual setup I tried reversing it. The lock of the floor tom leg is now near the batter head, the usual is that the floor tom leg is near at the resonant head.

To Mods, kindly transfer it my thread is not okay...

Warm regards,
Yekoz

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Tips on getting the Low or Deep sound of your Floor toms
« Reply #558 on: April 10, 2013, 04:27:44 PM »
How was your experimentation with heads and tuning combinations?
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline makinao

« Reply #559 on: April 10, 2013, 05:32:25 PM »
1) try the Pearl Air Suspension Feet. They make a major difference. It adds resonance and sustain.

2) Try tuning your heads higher. Instead of just a dry thud from a loose head, the higher fundamental and harmonics will help make the sound more audible, and will project better. It might not sound "low" from the drivers seat, but it usually does from the audience and with close-mikes.

Offline yekoz

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #560 on: April 10, 2013, 05:39:46 PM »
1) try the Pearl Air Suspension Feet. They make a major difference. It adds resonance and sustain.

2) Try tuning your heads higher. Instead of just a dry thud from a loose head, the higher fundamental and harmonics will help make the sound more audible, and will project better. It might not sound "low" from the drivers seat, but it usually does from the audience and with close-mikes.

will try both 1 and 2.

tuning is both medium for batter and reso (using pinstripe as batter and ambassador as reso)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #561 on: April 10, 2013, 08:14:39 PM »
When you say 'deep', do you mean SLAPPY floor tom sounds (almost like thud) or THUNDEROUS floor tom sounds?

From experience, here's what I found out:

1.  The thicker the batter head, the  wider the low tuning range.
2.  In general, coated heads sound warmer, clear heads sound more 'scooped'.
3.  For the reso side, lowering the tuning can give a more open but lower tone.  If the reso head is tuned looser than the batter, it gives you a deeper sound (but less punch).
4.  Tuning the reso head tighter than the batter gives a perceived higher pitch but actually gives just more punch to the sound.

Offline iamkm18

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Re: Drumset Tuning and Head Selection thread
« Reply #562 on: August 07, 2013, 10:46:29 PM »
help naman. nag restore ako ng generic metal snare, painted it and bought new batter head,remo encore coated ambassador and new gibraltar snare wire 20 strands. ano kayang magandang  reso para makuha ung gusto kong tunog na "pak". parang tunog na gamit ni vic mercado. and magkano kaya ang pinaka murang throw off kasi parang masisira narin sya.

Offline ronald_rko

help : How do you Tune your drumset
« Reply #563 on: October 13, 2013, 11:39:08 AM »
Hi guys, my friend recently bought a yamaha drumset we are not satisfy with its sound
the 1st owner bought it 2 yrs ago and didnt used it for almost 1 year..
does it affects the tunning and sound

please help us with your expertise :))

Offline Riff_6603

• Philmusicus Moderatus
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #564 on: October 17, 2013, 02:32:17 AM »
help naman. nag restore ako ng generic metal snare, painted it and bought new batter head,remo encore coated ambassador and new gibraltar snare wire 20 strands. ano kayang magandang  reso para makuha ung gusto kong tunog na "pak". parang tunog na gamit ni vic mercado. and magkano kaya ang pinaka murang throw off kasi parang masisira narin sya.

not to sound rude but a generic snare wouldn't do much as to achieve your desired sound whatsoever. OK na yung ginawa mo na bumili ka ng piyesa. you could opt to buy a second hand mid-end snare, preferably maple or birch (madami sa classifieds na pearl or tama) then use the parts that you bought to upgrade the stock parts. Believe me, ginawa ko din yan noon, I ended up buying a better snare instead. trust me it's worth it.

Hi guys, my friend recently bought a yamaha drumset we are not satisfy with its sound
the 1st owner bought it 2 yrs ago and didnt used it for almost 1 year..
does it affects the tunning and sound

please help us with your expertise :))

It shouldn't unless nabasa or nainitan masyado yung drums per se (if nakastore sa bodega or something). anything that might affect the drum's material, be it the shells, heads, hardware, etc. makaka-affect yun. if OK pa naman lahat, then a proper tuning should do the trick.

Offline ronald_rko

« Reply #565 on: November 02, 2013, 01:09:20 PM »
It shouldn't unless nabasa or nainitan masyado yung drums per se (if nakastore sa bodega or something). anything that might affect the drum's material, be it the shells, heads, hardware, etc. makaka-affect yun. if OK pa naman lahat, then a proper tuning should do the trick.

hmm.. loosen po kasi ung mga heads, di ako marunong mag tune..
pano po ba mgtune ng resonant at batter head (which should be more tight)
gnun

THANKS PO  :)

Offline Riff_6603

• Philmusicus Moderatus
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #566 on: November 05, 2013, 06:06:06 AM »
hmm.. loosen po kasi ung mga heads, di ako marunong mag tune..
pano po ba mgtune ng resonant at batter head (which should be more tight)
gnun

THANKS PO  :)

depende sa sound na habol mo at sa combination ng heads mo ang pagtune. care to define anong meron ka now and sound na hanap mo? ano pala model ng yammie's mo?

Offline ronald_rko

« Reply #567 on: November 15, 2013, 11:02:46 PM »
hmm kahit mga sound ng parokya or silent sanctuary xD gigmaker po siya maple set standard sizes po hehe..
hirap po kasi ako sumunod sa mga tutorial sa youtube, any suggestion po on how to tune it?

Offline Riff_6603

• Philmusicus Moderatus
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #568 on: November 16, 2013, 04:54:05 AM »
hmm kahit mga sound ng parokya or silent sanctuary xD gigmaker po siya maple set standard sizes po hehe..
hirap po kasi ako sumunod sa mga tutorial sa youtube, any suggestion po on how to tune it?

I believe your aiming to get a pretty decent yet general sound, You could opt to check Bob Gatzen's instructionals on Youtube. madaling maintindihan yung mga videos niya quite frankly. Not really one to burst your bubble, but Gigmakers aren't maple. :-D

Offline harugrugrug

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #569 on: November 18, 2013, 04:40:13 PM »
anu ba logic ng powersonic ng remo? hehe,kumuha ako but didn't install it,hehe.tama kasi ako magmuffle sa luob. parang may smiley face yung skin,hehe
josephmariosep.wordpress.com,josephmariosep instagram
Pwede naman magreply sa pm,libre naman serbisyo ng philmusic bat ang tamad niyo pa magreply sa mga offer niyo.

Offline Riff_6603

• Philmusicus Moderatus
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #570 on: November 20, 2013, 10:29:08 PM »
anu ba logic ng powersonic ng remo? hehe,kumuha ako but didn't install it,hehe.tama kasi ako magmuffle sa luob. parang may smiley face yung skin,hehe

Nakapowersonic ako sa set ko. I get more attack and tone control out of it depending on how I set it up. Mas resounding and focused yung tone kapag di nakakakabit yung clip-on muffler pero mas may attack yung sound kapag nakakabit na. Talo lang kapag vented ang head mo, kahit naka kickport plakda pa din ang sound.

Offline harugrugrug

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #571 on: November 21, 2013, 03:51:27 PM »
Nakapowersonic ako sa set ko. I get more attack and tone control out of it depending on how I set it up. Mas resounding and focused yung tone kapag di nakakakabit yung clip-on muffler pero mas may attack yung sound kapag nakakabit na. Talo lang kapag vented ang head mo, kahit naka kickport plakda pa din ang sound.

haha! tama nga gut feeling ko,kasi natira sa jb mga vented na reso skins,sabi ko aantay na lang ako ng walang butas na skin,hehe,salamat!  anung bass mo pala tito riff? hehe.angkop kaya skin ko para sa maple mahogany 10 ply? :idea:
Pwede naman magreply sa pm,libre naman serbisyo ng philmusic bat ang tamad niyo pa magreply sa mga offer niyo.

Offline Riff_6603

• Philmusicus Moderatus
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #572 on: November 21, 2013, 11:09:31 PM »
haha! tama nga gut feeling ko,kasi natira sa jb mga vented na reso skins,sabi ko aantay na lang ako ng walang butas na skin,hehe,salamat!  anung bass mo pala tito riff? hehe.angkop kaya skin ko para sa maple mahogany 10 ply? :idea:

sa 22 incher na poor man's maple siya nakakabit. mas OK sa reference yun lalo warm and round yung combo ng kahoy mo. Orgasmic talaga yung set mo. :drool:

Offline harugrugrug

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #573 on: November 21, 2013, 11:23:22 PM »
sa 22 incher na poor man's maple siya nakakabit. mas OK sa reference yun lalo warm and round yung combo ng kahoy mo. Orgasmic talaga yung set mo. :drool:

hehe,nakatabi pa siya sa kanto ng kwarto ko,di pa buo,nagaantay pa ng spare parts,hehe,if i know malupit set mo,may rocket toms pa,hehe. :-o salamat bro! :cry:

Offline denzana

« Reply #574 on: December 02, 2013, 10:36:52 PM »
Hello there Drum Masters! :wave:

I have a Sonor 507 standard set, and i am planning to replace the stock heads of my toms, as much as possible i would like to get a great sound without putting on muffler rings any recommendations and advice for me  :? Budget would be around 2K.Thanks in advance! :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 10:42:39 PM by denzana »
Click here for Djent/Prog Metal/Instrumental tracks!Ü https://soundcloud.com/raive-keiel/tracks