hulika

Author Topic: Dry Ride for Metal  (Read 6362 times)

Offline $trayC@t

Re: Dry Ride for Metal
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 12:51:17 AM »
martin lopez (and many other pro drummers at that) use more than one type of ride (or hihat or crash or whatever) since they have the luxury of choosing different sounds because they can and they have the means to do so (ie. sponsorship). it's not that a dry ride is not always applicable, it's just that the drummer chooses to have a different sound based on his preference. also, "best option" is a highly relative term. if it sounds great to you, it might as well be the best.

btw opeth albums contain 70's prog rock, death metal, some jazz, and everything in between.

kaya ayun, agree ako kay plep pati narin sa mga ni-reference niyang drummers.

PS. i also asked robert dela cruz if dry rides would fit in a metal setting, and he said yes. hell, even flo mounier from cryptopsy uses a 21" raw bell dry ride.
http://www.flomounier.com/en_gear.html

so in closing, dry ride + metal = win. hehe.

"Having more than one ride is not just about luxury It is becoz of needed application logic dictates that"

Dry rides and other non conventional Rdes for that matter are  not like your every day ride. It is intended for a specific purpose and playing Metal though do-able is simply not one of its best traits. To elaborate on it how can something sound good if you can barely hear it to begin with.

Ok so you can say mike up use larger sticks & cymbal to accomodate the lack of projection  but then the mere fact of having to do all that alraedy means it is not the best option.

Have you even tried or owned a Dry Ride to make such a bold statement that dry ride + metal = win.

I can say it right in your face that i've tried most of them personally not becoz i am rich which im not but becoz i know a lot of people in the right places.
Arguing over the Internet is like joining the "SPECIAL OLYMPICS"...Becoz "Even If You Win You're Still A RETARD.!!!"

Offline tranquildomain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 01:10:30 AM »
feel ko parang hindi pwde  :lol:

may dry bell kasi aaxplosion ko kaso crash siya (size 18") iba pag ride..

eh ride pinag uusapan  :lol:

dun parin ako aax metalride or stage ride  :-P
UNAS.. the slayer of the Gods..
"Once you begin to see drums as music, you've become a drummer." - George Kollias

Offline $trayC@t

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2008, 01:26:45 AM »
pwede ring a custom ping ride or projectiion ride

dun parin ako aax metalride or stage ride  :-P

Sir eh ang dadaya nyo naman hindi naman "Dry" rides yung mga nabangit nyo  :-D
Arguing over the Internet is like joining the "SPECIAL OLYMPICS"...Becoz "Even If You Win You're Still A RETARD.!!!"

Offline tranquildomain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2008, 01:37:59 AM »
alternative sa dry ride, pangmetal kasi tugtugan hanap niya  :-o
UNAS.. the slayer of the Gods..
"Once you begin to see drums as music, you've become a drummer." - George Kollias

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 01:38:36 AM »
i'm not siding with anyone here.
but i have to say that I used to have a SABIAN AA Dry Ride 21"
and yes bro. i would use it for metal. it has a desired wash and it is pretty crashable. the only thing here is the application
of the "DRY RIDE" depends on "WHAT IS YOUR DEFINITION OF METAL"
it all accounts to TASTE bro :) why not try to experiment?
who knows, you might wind up getting a "distinct" sound by using that specific ride for a diverse genre???

and another thing, yes. i think when i will play METAL?
i'd use a larger stick. why? would you use a JAZZ stick or 7a, 8a sizes for metal?? oh no, i don't think so. so yes, a possibility to make up
for the cymbals weak points is the stick size.

all i'm trying to say is

DRY RIDE + METAL GENRE  = "PWEDE DEPENDE SA TYPE NG METAL SONG"

PS. rock artists who uses STAGG CYMBALS in our country uses the
STAGG DH 21" Dry Ride with a Raw Bell and i think that it compliments their sound. so what do we say? is it really not to be used for metal???
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline metalmuhlisha

• Veteran Member
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 01:49:40 AM »
"Having more than one ride is not just about luxury It is becoz of needed application logic dictates that"

Dry rides and other non conventional Rdes for that matter are  not like your every day ride. It is intended for a specific purpose and playing Metal though do-able is simply not one of its best traits. To elaborate on it how can something sound good if you can barely hear it to begin with.

Ok so you can say mike up use larger sticks & cymbal to accomodate the lack of projection  but then the mere fact of having to do all that alraedy means it is not the best option.

Have you even tried or owned a Dry Ride to make such a bold statement that dry ride + metal = win.

I can say it right in your face that i've tried most of them personally not becoz i am rich which im not but becoz i know a lot of people in the right places.

first of all, just what IS an "every day ride" exactly? no, don't answer that, that was a rhetorical question.

actually, no, i haven't tried using a dry ride (in a gig playing context) or have had the luxury of owning one yet. i'm saying that a dry ride would work because i've heard it on records, and some of my favorite drummers use it too (even in un-miced settings since they're using 21"+ rides). why would i need to own something in order to know if it sounds good or not. isn't hearing it enough? your statement is illogical.

this is a forum in the first place. there are no absolute truths. these are all based on relativity, and that i, personally, like the sound of dry rides for metal.

anyway, at least some people seem to agree with me, so that's good enough. i'm done replying, this is getting redundant.

PS. tone down on the bold tags btw. it makes you look like a raving lunatic. i didn't mean that in a bad way. masakit lang sa mata. pati yung "I can say it right in your face". wrong grammar na, mukha ka pang naghahanap ng away. hehe.

PPS. oo nga tama si ralph regarding sa application ng genre ng metal.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 01:51:41 AM by metalmuhlisha »
kung di mo alam, isipin muna ang GMG bago ang lahat: Google Mo, G**O!

Offline $trayC@t

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 01:51:04 AM »

DRY RIDE + METAL GENRE  = "PWEDE DEPENDE SA TYPE NG METAL SONG"

dyn agree ako.  8-)

Offline $trayC@t

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2008, 04:15:05 AM »

actually, no, i haven't tried using a dry ride (in a gig playing context) or have had the luxury of owning one yet. i'm saying that a dry ride would work because i've heard it on records, and some of my favorite drummers use it too (even in un-miced settings since they're using 21"+ rides). why would i need to own something in order to know if it sounds good or not. isn't hearing it enough? your statement is illogical.
t
his is a forum in the first place. there are no absolute truths. these are all based on relativity, and that i, personally, like the sound of dry rides for metal.

Owning or getting to try something yourself makes ones' statement an actual basis not a second hand account.

Hearing something on the other hand is a percieved thing based on many different factors like size of venue/environment or the post/pre  production technical aspect of it.

Well whatever floats your boat  8-)

Offline metalmuhlisha

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2008, 05:56:30 AM »
wthax my post got deleted. shame.

anyway, another note for semantics: perception=recognition and interpretation of sensory stimuli based chiefly on memory. (courtesy of thefreedictionary)

hearing is not perceiving. perception can be distorted by your mind, etc. hearing cannot. unless you're deaf, and/or have a big wad of ear wax lodged in your ears.

besides, what kind of producer would alter the sound of something in a such a way that it barely resembles the real-life, face-to-face counterpart. it would be bad for the artist and the sponsors. baka nga iba yung sound ng cymbal sa recording as opposed to a real world demo but do you honestly think that their sounds are that far-off from each other?

look, i didn't want to say this but if you just accepted that there are opinions that differ from yours, these OT posts would've been avoided. you just made yourself look like a 14 year-old know-it-all who doesn't like it when people disagree with him. btw hijacking my classifieds thread doesn't help your cause, either...

all this for an "arguement" regarding cymbals no less. haha lol i rest my case.
kung di mo alam, isipin muna ang GMG bago ang lahat: Google Mo, G**O!

Offline $trayC@t

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2008, 07:14:49 AM »

wthax my post got deleted. shame.

besides, what kind of producer would alter the sound of something in a such a way that it barely resembles the real-life, face-to-face counterpart. it would be bad for the artist and the sponsors. baka nga iba yung sound ng cymbal sa recording as opposed to a real world demo but do you honestly think that their sounds are that far-off from each other?

look, i didn't want to say this but if you just accepted that there are opinions that differ from yours, these OT posts would've been avoided. you just made yourself look like a 14 year-old know-it-all who doesn't like it when people disagree with him. btw hijacking my classifieds thread doesn't help your cause, either...

all this for an "arguement" regarding cymbals no less. haha lol i rest my case.

Yah sure look who's talking .........no wonder your post got deleted. Akala ko ba you said quote: 'i'm done replying, this is getting redundant". Walk the walk before you can talk the talk

By the way for the record i did not hijack your thread i even said it right there quote: "that i stand corrected if that's the case"

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2008, 07:18:23 AM »
For a moment there I thought I was in GC.  Intense din pala sa Pinoydrums.   :-D
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2008, 08:00:04 AM »
raw bell "dry" rides dont really sound dry. naattach lang siguro yung "dry" na word dahil sa unlathed yung ibang portion nung ride at kapag unlathed e usually "dry" ang tunog which is the lack or absense of high frequencies. dry nga tawag sa kanila pero meron namang sustain and having sustain means its not dry

dry ride in the context of a jazz player is different because it is really dry even if it is lathed. dry in the sense na puro stick lang maririnig mo at halos walang sustain. patay agad tunog pagpalo mo palang

dos centimos...

Offline $trayC@t

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2008, 11:57:55 AM »
raw bell "dry" rides dont really sound dry. naattach lang siguro yung "dry" na word dahil sa unlathed yung ibang portion nung ride at kapag unlathed e usually "dry" ang tunog which is the lack or absense of high frequencies. dry nga tawag sa kanila pero meron namang sustain and having sustain means its not dry

dry ride in the context of a jazz player is different because it is really dry even if it is lathed. dry in the sense na puro stick lang maririnig mo at halos walang sustain. patay agad tunog pagpalo mo palang

dos centimos...

Now that could'nt have been said any better.
Cool avatar by the way i love cats  :roll:

Offline $trayC@t

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2008, 03:43:05 AM »
Additional info lang po regarding the "Raw Bell Dry Rdes and Sabian" for that matter.

Sabian did not exist until the early 80's so Albums & Artist being referenced to the said cymbal prior to this period could not have used Raw Bell Dry Rides.

It is also "common practice or should i say an open secret" that most recordings (not all) are heavily tweaked with protools and "sometimes" not even the same equipment used by the original artist be it sticks,drums,snare or cymbals.

We may not be totally aware of it but even the artist themselves are "not always" the same people behind a recorded track. This is where and how some "session musicians" come into play and make a living. But that's another long story i guess.  :roll: