hulika

Author Topic: DZRJ 45th Anniversary  (Read 11488 times)

Offline Allan Roy

Re: DZRJ 45th Anniversary
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2008, 05:32:50 PM »
check  out the practice videos
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 05:34:39 PM by Allan Roy »

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2008, 09:23:38 AM »
Just an Update :

LC De Leon ( Reklamo Band ) will be the latest addition to the Super Session Concert ;

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2008, 05:11:06 PM »
NOTES FROM THE WALL-FLY ALMANAC: THE DZRJ 45TH ANNIVERSARY "SUPERSESSION" REHEARSALS
A GATHERING OF PINOY ROCK STARS: ALDUS SANTOS GIVES A SNEAK PREVIEW ON SUPERSESSION.
by Aldus Santos

Stagehands rush to the aid of the forgetfuls onstage, bringing over music stands where the performers can prop up stray pages of rock libretto. A word or two per verse: that’s all they really need to jumpstart their memory. However, seeing as a lot of the numbers for the show-at-hand are over two decades old, full printouts are more or less de rigueur. The irony of the matter is that you could hear some of the busboys mindlessly—tunelessly—mouthing off the lyrics like clockwork. Underneath their innocent, hushed queries of “Drinks, sir?,” one can tell that the waiters at RJ Bar along Jupiter are (reigning, undefeated) videoke champs in their spare time. One other irony—the more important one, really—is that the people onstage weren’t just random, memory-challenged nobodies; they were, to put it mildly, a whole lot of somebodies: a veritable party of Pinoy Rock’s Who’s Who. They are playing a limited-access “rehearsal show” this night for a select few (friends, family, colleagues, and press), in preparation for the 45th anniversary show of DZRJ dubbed as Supersession.

I was one of the flies on the wall, so to speak. But please, forget I said anything.     

Color It Red’s Cookie Chua—prime poster-girl for the alterna-90s, hands down—walks in sporting her signature all-black ensemble, half-panting, and I can only guess she came from a longish walk. “Traffic sa MRT, eh!” she jokes with a friend. She is surveying the people onstage, whom she will join in a brief moment. One of them is Cowboy Santos, lugging a left-handed Les Paul, who is now practically directing the proceedings onstage, showing Greyhoundz bassist Nino Avenido the five- to six-note fretwork for the closing roll of “Nosi Ba Lasi?” Nino relays the roll-scheme to his partner-in-crime for the night, the gorgeous Bea Lao, who also drums for King Antares. As soon as he’s done with Nino, Cowboy turns to Imago’s Aia de Leon to run through some chords for rhythm-keeping. They, along with Anakbayan’s Emee Fortuno and Crowjane’s Nicole Asensio, are (obviously) doing a Sampaguita set. Cowboy knows his mother’s material best, and he’s protecting the arrangements with the flair of a youngish man trapped in a Haight-Ashbury hippie’s body. Only a couple of minutes earlier, they also nailed an almost fanatically consistent rendition of “Bonggahan,” and things are looking good.

Hovering around the buffet are Imago’s Zach Lucero and Sandwich’s Raymund Marasigan, who both throw me warm yet vaguely conspiratorial glances. Marasigan’s neon-green locks, dyed especially for the recently-concluded Eraserheads reunion show, are fading to a dull platinum, and he is sporting a shirt that says “Video.” Chikoy Pura, his faded jeans torn at the knees like it was 1994, is helping himself to the sumptuous dinner. As the mainman for The Jerks settles on a table with his wife, the people playing the Sampaguita set start disassembling, and the floor director calls out, “Chikoy Pura, Joey Manuel!” No sighs from Chikoy, who, with the sternness of a man with a purpose, stares at his almost-dinner, stands up, and says, “Okay, mamaya ko na itutuloy ‘to.” He starts ripping through The Troggs’ “Wild Thing” and The Doors’ “Light My Fire” along with an enviable crew: the inimitable Louie Talan on the low notes, Zach behind the kit, and Kakoi Legaspi on lead-axe detail.

Ramon “RJ” Jacinto, man-in-black host for the night’s private festivities, goes around the room like the self-styled radio sultan that he is (tune in to any of his stations to catch a whiff of his EDSA Revolution-tinged rethinking of the Dire Straits’ “Sultans of Swing,” called—what else—“Sultan ng Radyo”). DZRJ, the station he helms, started as a teenage backyard project of his, and is now celebrating its 45th year of on-air existence. “To me, radio will always be radio,” he tells me as a quick retort to my query about how radio is faring against emerging platforms for music (the Internet and so on). He adds, “It’s like the theater—movie theaters—nandito pa rin. There will always be a place for radio.” Jacinto is no stranger to staging rock shows of this scope and caliber. Pinoy Woodstock, for instance—the 44-act, 24-hour rock smorgasbord of 1989—is an RJ baby, and it is almost twenty years-old now. “[For Supersession], I thought of concentrating on that phase or period when DZRJ was ‘Rock of Manila.’ So, we’re tracing [our] history in relation to classic rock, plus modern rock now, because we have RJ Underground [Radio],” RJ adds amidst the soloing of Pura and Legaspi, jamming on The Jerks’ classic Dylan Thomas-referencing anthem “Rage.” The man is as nostalgic as he is forward-looking, sharing, “Pinoy rock is very, very much alive. [I remember], when I arrived from exile here [in] 1986, I noticed [rock] was nearly dead. We only had discos and piano bars. Solo artists dominated the scene. [It was then that] I thought the best source of raw material was the campus, where people get together, play together, and sing together.”   

Delilah Aguilar, swinging “queen of the underground” to some, doting aunt figure to many, suggests, “Back then, no [other] station was playing rock ‘n’ roll. I remember [people like] Florante would give cassettes of his songs to Howlin’ Dave,” she says, alluding to the late, great Dante David, who was Sid to his Nancy back in the day. Cookie Chua joins Chikoy Pura onstage to lend her pipes on a rendition of Steely Dan’s “Reeling in the Years,” and this prompted Delilah to recall the eventful 90s, when she was working with Junior Jam and the RJ Guitar Center string of stores: “Alaga ko silang lahat, ‘yang sila Cookie,” she says, stringing the Eraserheads, Introvoyz, and Razorback together in the same breath. As the charming woman starts digressing into having seen The Beatles perform in New Delhi once as a child, and how George Harrison was the least cordial of the four (“George didn’t want to sign—nakasimangot!”), someone calls out, “Delilah! Eraserheads [set] na!”

“Raymund, Zach, Nino, Aia!” the roll-call goes. Said people go up onstage, along with RJ himself. Raymund strums the quartet of jangly chords that makes up “Pare Ko,” and the room goes nuts. “I love you, Raymund!” Cookie Chua screams, and I felt like I was in junior-high again, when these guys probably hung out a lot. Delilah walks over to me and says, “I’m so happy that Raymund is singing.” Then it was time for the ‘Heads’ paean to the death of innocence, “Magasin.” The band hiccupped a first time when Raymund realized that the “Guitarman” was playing a half-step in a different key. “Okay, okay, top,” he says, cueing the band without his excitement waning. The band hiccupped a second time when Aia sings the verse a couple of bars early. Still on top of his game, Marasigan cues the band a third time and starts singing in unison with the Imago frontwoman, and it was pure alterna-rock manna after that.

[Note to self: what would I do if I had to tell RJ he just made a mistake? As you can guess by now, this is all turning out to be very surreal.]

Joey “Pepe” Smith walks in, and the room lights up, like he’s an apparition, or, at the very least, like he’s everyone’s favorite uncle who’s dropped his nephews and nieces a surprise visit with random bits of pasalubong. He was characteristically garbed in rock ‘n’ roll leather—jacket and boots—and a white long-sleeved shirt, with the first couple of buttons popped open. Even with his head tilted back to make out the words on the lyric sheets, like how an old-person-wearing-glasses typically does it, Pepe still looks rock ‘n’ roll. “He [Pepe] was really the foundation of Pinoy rock […]. He was the Mick Jagger of the Philippines; he was with The Downbeats,” RJ annotates, and then he, along with Pepe, Cowboy, Zach, Nino, and the insanely awesome Johnny Alegre of Affinity on guitar, proceeds to play a Beatles set. “Don’t Let Me Down,” the B-side to “Get Back,” is up first, and then Abbey Road’s “Come Together,” which had Marasigan promptly joining the superband to sing along. Pepe is clowning around during the “Shoot!”s in the song (you know, the Lennon accents right after each Macca bassline, i.e., “Shoot!”), but he is sounding great.

“Are you ridi, Pipi?” RJ asks in mock-Visayan.

“Yis, Ar-Jee,” Pepe chortles back.

With that, they drop the Juan de la Cruz bomb “Beep Beep,” as well as The Riots classics “Muli” and “Hele-Hele Ka Pa.” At one point, at a lack for a drummer and a percussionist, RJ finds himself making on-the-spot casting calls. “Who can drum for ‘Muli’?” Raymund Marasigan gamely volunteers, “Ako!” “Who can play the conga?” There is a palpable silence, and RJ is forced to coerce someone to do it, asking, “Chikoy?” Pura runs onstage as a manner of replying in the affirmative. With his more-than-able blues-guitar hands, the man really can’t go wrong rhythm-wise. The Jerks aren’t big on samba or bossa, but Chikoy delivered like a freaking bat out of Brazil (hell, yeah). Before RJ knows it, “Hele-Hele” elevates into a frenzied jam, so frenzied that, at one point, the guitar-less Pepe walks off-stage to let the axemen run wild. When he’s called back, he’s pretend-whining, “Eh, ayaw niyo ko pakantahin, eh! Kanina pa kayo gitara nang gitara d’yan; gusto ko na nga lang manood, eh!” Delilah’s words from a while back comes to mind, “Mas matigas pa ang ulo minsan ng matatanda, eh, sa totoo lang!”

When it came time for Sandwich’s current name-checking hit “Betamax” to be performed, it was obvious that Marasigan’s words would find flesh, as some of the idols he enumerates are in the same room tonight: Pepe, Chikoy, et cetera. Regardless of the “Betamax” headcount, however, one realizes that rock is fanhood first, and maybe, if you’re lucky, professional practice second. “It’s such a treat and a privilege to jam with my heroes. My best one yet is drumming for RJ in rehearsals,” Raymund would tell me later.

I’m thinking of getting a second round of sisig from the buffet table, but there’s only maybe two spoonful’s worth left. Pepe Smith is messing around with the limited-edition Supersession guitar maybe two steps away from the food. He’s a big fan of pork and lard (amazing, I know, with that pencil-thin frame).

I love “Ang Himig Natin” to bits, man, but I’m starving.

Supersession is happening on October 25, 2008 at A-Venue Events Hall along Makati Avenue. For information, call 899-3108. Tickets available at all RJ Guitar Center outlets or Ticket Net (911-5555). Go here to read the official release. Photos courtesy of RJ Underground Radio. Acknowledgements go to Mikey, Kris, Nikki, and Carlene.

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2008, 08:14:55 AM »
Igan D Bayan from Philippine Star  October  17, 2008

It’s like the first burst of nicotine through your lungs after another night of unsleep. Or alcohol streaming in your blood after a whole day of imbibing water, caffeine and decaying dreams. You open the radio and Angus Young starts the sledgehammering riff of Back in Black. Associates Fagen and Becker mull over the day and night of the expanding man. Frank Zappa warns you about eating yellow snow. Resty from Maria Cafra wants to know how the hell you’ve been, as drums and overdriven guitars accompany. That’s how rock ‘n’ roll starts a revolution in your head; you start believing in flight and then proceed to flap your atrophied wings.

That’s what it must’ve been like for those raised on DZRJ: you turn on the radio as three chords and the truth blast through.

The legendary station is celebrating 45 years of maximum rock ‘n’ roll. Many are familiar with the story of how DZRJ was established by the then 17-year-old Ramon “RJ” Jacinto in the backyard of his parents’ home in August 1963. DZRJ was the first to air The Beatles, the Stones, the Beach Boys, etc. It would go on to give Original Pilipino Music a much-needed boost by being the first to provide airplay to then fledgling acts like the Juan dela Cruz Band, Sampaguita, the Apo Hiking Society, Anakbayan, Florante, Maria Cafra, Aunt Irma, Freddie Aguilar, among others. The station which had a cult following became a staple of pop culture. Not only did people tune into DZRJ to hear great songs, but they also wanted to hear bits of rock ‘n’ jock wisdom from DJs such as the late great Howlin’ Dave (Dante David), Double A (Allan Austria), Red Rooster, Little Rock (the late Sony Pecson), Baby John (Ronnie de Asis who is now back in RJFM 100.3 as station manager), Toney Burke (Mike Llamas), Cousin Hoagy (my friend Hoagy Pardo), Becky Zarate (Brother Becky), and Charlie Brown (the late Emil Quinto), among others. Sadly, we don’t have a cosmic rock ‘n’ roll howler like Dave anymore. To quote Lou Reed, those were different times.

“The station was then known as ‘The Teenage Station for the Teenage Nation’,” says Underground Radio (UR) general manager Ramon Jacinto Jr. “From the very start DZRJ has always been run by music lovers for music lovers. It wasn’t something corporate; DZRJ has always been about the music.”

Baby John, now Papa John, says, “The role of DZRJ in the development of Pinoy music cannot be underestimated. At its height, if you were not listening to DZRJ, you didn’t have good taste or you were not up-to-date in music.”

RJ Jr. recalls how radical the station was in the ’60s, playing material that you wouldn’t be able to hear elsewhere. “Payola was very rampant among radio stations. This meant that pretty much all radio stations sounded the same and played the same thing. DZRJ has always maintained the true essence of a radio station: playing music people want to hear. And I think that’s why we have lasted for so long.” 

To celebrate its 45th year, the station is putting the spotlight on the roots, the present and the future of rock ‘n’ roll. Rock musicians led by Joey “Pepe” Smith will perform on Oct. 25 at the A-Venue Events Hall along Makati Ave in a concert billed as “SuperSession.” Pepe, along with main man Ramon “RJ” Jacinto, will lead the Pinoy Rock dream team composed of Raimund Marasigan (the Eraserheads and Sandwich), Chickoy Pura (The Jerks), Marc Abaya (Kjwan), Tirso Ripoll and Louie Talan (Razorback), Cooky Chua (Color It Red), Zach Lucero (Imago), Wendell Garcia (Pupil), Dondi Ledesma (DND and Wally & Friends), and Kakoi Legaspi (Rivermaya), among other stellar rockers.

“The ‘SuperSession’ is one giant jam session,” RJ Jr. enthuses. “We tried to find the best representatives for the 45 years that Pinoy Rock and DZRJ have been around. So in this concert you will be seeing a pretty good contingent of Pinoy Rock artists. Joining legends Pepe and RJ will be current icons Raimund Marasigan, Buddy Zabala, Marc Abaya, Aia de Leon of Imago, Jett Pangan of The Dawn, Louie Talan and Tirso Ripoll, among others. And we will even be providing you with a sneak peek into the future of Pinoy Rock with Nicole Asensio of Crowjane (think a young Sampaguita) and Bea Lao of King Antares.”

The super-group will revisit classic rock tunes from Led Zeppelin (Stairway to Heaven…. really), The Beatles, the Rolling Stones (with Pepe reprising his Mick Jagger impressions with The Downbeats), Steely Dan (Chickoy does a reading of Reelin’ in the Years with a very special guest), Sampaguita, the Eraserheads, and of course, the Juan dela Cruz Band.

Five years ago, for DZRJ’s 40th anniversary, a concert was held at the Araneta Coliseum to showcase four decades of Filipino musicianship. It featured about 30 different acts ranging from Elizabeth Ramsey to Pilita Corales to Jose Mari Chan to Asin to Pepe to Barbie Almalbis to Jaya and even Andrew E, among others. It basically showed a snapshot of Philippine music in its different aspects (from rock, to folk, to rap, to pop music) throughout four decades. This time, the “SuperSession” organizers decided to take a different route.

RJ Jr. says, “Ever wondered what it would be like if the best bass player in the country played with the best drummer, best guitarist and the best front man in one band?  What would that be like?  That would be amazing if that were to happen. And it will on Oct. 25. For the 45th anniversary, we also wanted to focus on the station’s roots. So, for this anniversary celebration, we elected to celebrate our roots as the pioneer rock radio station in the country together with our history of helping and promoting local artists.”

Just imagine. Pepe singing Jumping Jack Flash and other Stones classics, with Dondi Ledesma or Louie Talan playing bass, Wendell on drums. The first quivering of guitar strings that night would be like the last cigarette ever or first beer of the evening.

It’s a gas.
“SuperSession” is for the benefit of The Golden Rooster Foundation: a foundation that helps the families of our fallen soldiers in Mindanao. Tickets are available at all Ticketnet outlets (911-5555). Tickets are priced at P950, P750, P500 and P300, and are also available at all RJ Guitar Center outlets.

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 10:57:58 PM »
http://www.odysseylive.net/video_details?id=ZWk2cD%20Z1ajIyN2d2Y3ZBWXA=

Rehearsal clip of Tirso Daniel kakoy Dondi and Paolo.........for the supersession

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2008, 12:52:57 PM »
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 01:04:07 PM by lefty »
Are You Experienced

Offline gutz_3110

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2008, 01:06:48 AM »
bakit parang hindi sila nag ensayo? ang gulo...halo halo :?

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2008, 01:06:43 PM »
bakit parang hindi sila nag ensayo? ang gulo...halo halo :?

were you there Sir??
pls let us in on the audience's perspective..  :-)
Are You Experienced

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2008, 12:39:36 AM »
Nice to know that the old guard has aged gracefully and has passed the baton of local rock music to a new breed of gunslingers.  Loved Eddie Boy's photo 337:  Peps still looking the local rock demigod that he is, though human frailty makes reading a set list a pain in the butt.

Pinoy rock and rhythm is alive and well.

Offline Magoo Lang

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2008, 11:39:02 AM »
yes Pinoy Rock is well and alive people who said "magulo" are entitled to their opinion but they must see it for as a jam.....The audience enjoyed it a lot and I think 99% went home happy...... kahit noong kumain kamisa norh park after the show... other customers were talking positively about the show.......ang galing ng super session

Offline Magoo Lang

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2008, 03:30:38 PM »

reposted from www.blah-blahblogs.com

October 25, 2008, the 45th anniversary of DZRJ via the concert dubbed as SUPERSESSION in A. Venue Hall in Makati. It was the night of fun and reminiscing, the era of Pinoy Rock as well as the classic rock of the golden era of music—the 70s.

We were there so much early as we travelled 64 kilometers from our place just to be there on time and witness once again the culminating event in the history of Philippine music. The event ain’t so much of a Woodstock or anything like that of love, peace and music for three days but anything close to that would merit my attention in this rap stricken-shallow fad country of ours.

The stage resembles the humble beginning of DZRJ 45 years ago, when Ramon Jacinto put up his first radio station in his Dad’s garage. The stage is an 18-wheeler flat bed trailer truck, a makeshift reminiscent of my Mendiola days where we held most of the theater and band performances during the demonstration. I remember Noel Cabangon and Chikoy Pura, as we used to perform together on top of the flat bed truck in Mendiola during Cory Aquino’s State of the Nation Address many years ago.

It has been a while since I’ve attended such a concert, and I tell you the crowd is much different ever since. Though they are not that stage-diving-slam-dancing people, they know how to appreciate a good song when heard. Most of the crowd age ranges from 25 to 60, I guess.

An hour before the show people started pouring in. You will immediately notice the absence of the slam-banging teenagers in Punk get up, Poseurs and other wannabees. However, my attention caught an old man in his 70s I think, in white ponytail, beard and long hair. The old man is a frail looking rock n’ roll veteran wearing a reporter’s vest tattered with button pins complete with wrist band and other paraphernalia except for the microphone and guitar. I’m glad I didn’t wear black shirt that day—as everybody does, complete with huge print of different bands or personalities of rock music, a cliché during concerts like these.

Beside the 18-wheeler flat bed truck-cum-stage is an old automobile, a 1940 limousine where the VIPs of the show wallow in their wine and songs. The lighting is great as it gives justice to an improvised look, but the sound system lacks luster. The organizer could have surrounded the place with good speakers instead of putting it only in front. The vocal sound suffers quite a bit and being overshadowed by the instruments.

Joey “Pepe” Smith brought the house down with his own antics. Joey is a legend on his own when it comes to Pinoy Rock music scene. The 65-year-old ex-detainee and a veteran musician come in sober in a leather suit and sporting a clean cut hairstyle. The crowd suddenly rush near the stage as Joey belts out songs from his legendary JUAN DE LA CRUZ BAND.

Marc Abaya of KJWAN gave justice to the seminal song Stairway to Heaven as Cookie Chua sings out with him in the last part while Tirso Ripols of RAZORBACK axed down the road with his Peavey Guitar. Chikoy Pura of THE JERKS was the busiest among the performers; he was almost always present in every set and sessions doing vocals of DOORS’ Light My Fire, STEELY DAN’s Reelin’ in the Years and ERIC CLAPTON’s Sunshine of your Love, and Layla along with Ramon Jacinto and Pepe Smith.

The finale was awesome; the makeshift stage was full of Pinoy talent. Pure music at its best as the crowd was misty eyed in between riffs of 13 guitarists all session and seasoned musician. Two hard pounding drums set left and right, percussion instruments and keyboards in the middle. The musicality was so thick and the fusion of the American-born and Pinoy-bred music can’t be distinguished.

All artists played their own original piece in between covers and the fusion was good, in fact, it was great. The crowd isn’t that much frenzy back in the old days of Pinoy Rock era, maybe it comes along with age. But still, the passion can’t be denied. It was still there that evening; burning as soon as the event started with the national anthem played in a bluesy-passionate guitar while the crowd raised their fists.

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2008, 04:11:13 PM »
yes Pinoy Rock is well and alive people who said "magulo" are entitled to their opinion but they must see it for as a jam.....The audience enjoyed it a lot and I think 99% went home happy...... kahit noong kumain kamisa norh park after the show... other customers were talking positively about the show.......ang galing ng super session

thats awesome to hear Sir! :)
Are You Experienced

Offline Magoo Lang

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2008, 05:59:14 PM »
maganda talaga show......i am sure na mahirap gawin yon kaya saludo ako sa dzrj............biro mo pagsamasamahin sa isang banda different artists from different genre at influences???? I am sure lots of hard work sa organizers and artists but salamat at least nagawa iyon....ang best part for me....seeing 14 guitarists on stage plus 2 bass players 2 drummers 2 keyboard players and 1 percussionist..wow..........magnificent....................and the song selections? they are perfect..mabuhay ang pinoy rock

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2008, 11:43:01 PM »

Offline gutz_3110

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2008, 12:22:33 AM »
were you there Sir??
pls let us in on the audience's perspective..  :-)

yes sir i was there. sa tabi ng buffet table, near the vintage black car. i was just disappointed. after sunshine of your love it has was all chaos hehehe sorry ha pero opinion ko lang naman ito.  pag si rj na, ang lakas at ang linaw na ng gitara...oh well, maybe i was expecting too much  :-D

if you can still remember "Guitar Nights" that is what i call AWESOME! hehehe  :evil:

uy ang cute pa din ni cookie chua ha!

Offline Magoo Lang

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2008, 07:13:05 AM »
hahahhaha another rj bashing.....yes opinion mo nga iyan at respetado ko ...pero when you say after sunshine of your love , it was chaos, what do you mean? too general naman.....  in what way na chaos?  in my opinion it was fun , it was great....people loved it.......... malakas gitara ni rj? i dont think so...... let us be factual....   i talked to  inky de dios and he said that  the  tech were saying that rj  wants the volume of guitar amps  to be on the same level...... but salamat sa opinion......rock and roll

Offline ponky26

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2008, 07:13:56 AM »
Supersession rocks!

That night was blast for me.. be able to attend a rare concert with your ultimate crush as your date? who could ask for more  :-D.
It was  history in the making & am glad I was there.. while watchin i can only wish to be one of the guitarist on stage jammin with the legends!

Lefty i love your tone! i wanna have s_x with your strat! haha
Joey Puyat, as usual. Orgasmic!
Kakoi, melting.
Johnny A. ahhhhhhh.... kahit medyo mahina ung volume sa kanya.. sarap pa rin.

sana next year uli. More power to RJ!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 07:15:08 AM by ponky26 »

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2008, 10:58:50 AM »
Any chance the event would be pressed into a DVD for posterity?

Offline loudchild

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2008, 03:40:43 PM »
^^^it will be shown on the 10th sa jack tv. too bad i missed this one. was caught up with someone kasi. bad trip. well sana meron next year.

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2008, 03:56:16 PM »
yes it will be shown sa jack tv on Nov 10 at 9 PM
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 10:04:25 PM by Allan Roy »

Offline gutz_3110

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2008, 11:50:30 PM »
hahahhaha another rj bashing.....yes opinion mo nga iyan at respetado ko ...pero when you say after sunshine of your love , it was chaos, what do you mean? too general naman.....  in what way na chaos?  in my opinion it was fun , it was great....people loved it.......... malakas gitara ni rj? i dont think so...... let us be factual....   i talked to  inky de dios and he said that  the  tech were saying that rj  wants the volume of guitar amps  to be on the same level...... but salamat sa opinion......rock and roll

oo naman it was fun talaga. im not even bashing RJ or any of the performer. sabi ko opinyon ko lang naman and i was there when they were desputing how to increase the volume of the amps. at hindi na ako magtuturo sino mga kausap ko and it doesnt mean that if 99.99% of the audience loved it i've got to love it as well.

i dont think this is "RJ Bashing" if you can read it correctly pare, i said "GUITAR NIGHTS was awesome:...production din ni RJ yun dalawang events na yun and yes i was there too.  i love it and i miss it.  i just wish i could hear more of the other guitarist kasi madami naman magagaling nung supersessions.

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2008, 12:33:14 PM »
All-star cast at anniversary gig

By Tony Maghirang
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 22:27:00 11/01/2008

MANILA, Philippines - To celebrate the 45th year of radio station dzRJ, musician-owner Ramon Jacinto gathered an all-star cast of artists from various bands for almost three hours of reminiscing the good old days of rock—before punk and new wave blew it up into a thousand bits and pieces of itself.

The show billed as “Supersession” trawled across rock radio hits from the mid-‘60s to the mid-‘90s, with nary a broken chord for underground music from mid-’80s to late ’90s.

Some 2,500 rock heads—freaks in the lexicon of an earlier generation—turned up at the A. Venue Hall on Makati Ave., not only to listen to the music of their youth but also to see how their Pinoy rock idols were holding up. After all, Jacinto had orchestrated the event with no less than Joey “Pepe” Smith by his side.

Lots of help

They had lots of help from over two dozen allies in the trade that included eight guitarists, four drummers, five bassists, 12 vocalists, one percussionist and one keyboard player. To less discerning ears, this would sound like a prescription for near-chaos, even discounting the potential ego clashes.

But Jacinto knew what he was getting into, and the show went rather smoothly, if a bit too loud for comfort for those who’ve shifted their daily dose of aural pleasures from rock to adult contemporary. A perfunctory “Lupang Hinirang” and an ethnic folk showcase by Pen-Pen opened the show. Then, just like the music heard on “Boss Radio” RJ-AM in the late ’60s, it blasted off into a free-form zone once inhabited by some of the biggest American and British rock groups.

Current Kjwan (and former Sandwich) front man Marc Abaya gamely put forward his best Robert Plant wail in “Stairway To Heaven.” Cowboy Santos, Sampaguita’s son, kept his lead chords and vocals close to the anguished tone of Derek and the Dominoes’ “Layla.” Jacinto himself provided a foil to Santos in the same way that the late Duane Allman did in the original classic version. And lone piano man Ernie Vinoya proved equal to the memorable fade-out to the song.

Cooky Chua cheerfully contributed vocals to “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” but Smith with Chickoy Pura on second lead really cracker-jacked the menace inherent in the Rolling Stones standard. Not to disparage Chua, because she assumed bigger chores that night as one of the Ladies of Rock, along with Nicole Asensio of Crow Jane and Emmy Fortuno, wife of the late ace drummer Edmund “Bosyo” Fortuno. The trio delivered extra oomph to most of the hard rocking numbers churned out by the male contingent.

Pura turned out to be one of the evening’s busier artists. He was supposed to play only four songs, including one of his own compositions, “Rage.” But as the rehearsals wore on, he took on additional tasks simply because he had grown up loving the sounds played on RJ.

The second half of the concert had Sandwich’s Raimund Marasigan all over the place, as “Supersession” digressed to hits from the ’90s. The Eraserheads’ “Pare Ko” was so well-received as the audience sang along. Smith was given the enviable chore of shouting out the once controversial line, “’Di ba, tang***, nagmukha akong [chewbacca] ... ” Pinoy rock’s granddaddy, now 60, would milk the part, the expletive mainly, up to the show’s end.

Hardly idle

Smith was hardly idle, interjecting jokes every chance he got. It was a small saving grace especially when four guitarists and two drummers were revving up to a loud, thundering climax. The mere sight of him making faces or figuring out an (apparently) upside-down music sheet was pure rock ‘n’ roll fun.

Also present at “Supersession” were two crafty Pinoy guitarists from the ‘70s—Joey Puyat and Johnny Alegre. They received top-caliber training and fusing paisano Pinoy rock with high-brow jazz have been their specialties. Unfortunately, their contributions appeared lost in the din of massive guitar riffing and galloping backbeats.

Jacinto appeared in a good mood throughout the evening. His contributions were a soft-jazz rendering of his own song “Muli,” “Hele-Hele Ka Pa,” and a Buddy Holly original—quiet numbers compared to the rest.

In its own little way, “Supersession” was Jacinto’s tribute to the late RJ jocks Sonny “Li’l Rock” Peckson, Emil “Charlie Brown” Quinto and Dante “Howlin’ Dave” David, who had lived and breathed music.

After the finale, the musicians hung around, chatted with the audience and tinkered with their instruments some more. “Supersession” was over but the performers and several people in the audience wouldn’t let go.

Offline plasticsoul

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2008, 01:44:21 PM »
     Together with my wife, I brought along with us our daughter to witness what would be the first and last super session. I saw some other kids too with their parents. There are only a few people who you can share your musical experince with. After that night, probably my wife (and our daughter) now realized why music is so important, not only as a hobby, but a part of my being. The countless hours of playing guitar and jamming, and the untiring moments of listening to lp/s and cd/s are not wasted times. I share the experience with them as I don't have much more to offer.

Each time my daughter opens her encarta and goes to music section, she recognizes David Bowie's "Changes." She says she doesn't like the Beatles or the Stones or even Dylan, but each time I watch their videos she sits beside me and watches too. Many times, her mom would catch her humming some Beatles stuff. But she would deny.

Super Session was for everybody. Despite the tribute at the beginning, it was not purely a nostalgic event, but rather, a musical statement that Pinoy Rock lives after 45 years. It may outlive anybody who was out there. Why? Simply because the music is always fresh (and being re-born) while the people are not. It is as if it is always being made for the first time...And first time always lasts.

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2008, 07:09:40 AM »
Tonight, Nov 10 at 9 PM, Supersession will be shown at Jack TV

Offline thunder_god

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2008, 12:52:06 AM »
Any information if this would be re-aired again? I work graveyard shifts eh. Thanks!
"I tend to punish my gear so I like the angry Z Customs, while the classic A compliments the destruction."