hulika

Author Topic: DZRJ 45th Anniversary  (Read 11489 times)

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
DZRJ 45th Anniversary
« on: August 18, 2008, 09:35:33 AM »
Any info on this gig?

The Founding Icons of Pinoy Rock, Back to Back
with Ramon Jacinto and Pepe Smith....
special guests:
The Jerks- Chikoy Pura, Imago- Zach Lucero, Itchyworms-Jazz Nicolas,
Crowjane- Nicole Asensio, Color it Red- Cookie Chua, Sinosikat- Kat
Agarado, Raimund Marasigan- Sandwich, Ely Buendia- Pupil, Sampaguita,
Datu's Tribe-Paolo Manuel, Kakoi Legaspi, The Blue Rats- Joey
Puyat,Asin- Lolita Carbon, Anakbayan-Gary Perez, Kjwan-Marc Abaya, The
Dawn-Jett Pangan, Razorback- Louie Talan, Razorback- Kevin Roy Pupil-
Wendell Garcia, Blue Rats- Cowboy Santos, Out of Body Special- Nino
Avenido
"The Greatest Coming of Pinoy Band Players- celebrating the 45th
anniversary of DZRJ,A-venue Events Hall, Oct. 25,2008
call: 8993108
source: Philippine Star
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline mudcoremaine

Re: DZRJ 45th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 04:21:11 PM »
ui, ayus to ah :mrgreen: looking forward. got to be there. papost na lang dito updates please..
karhat man!

Offline Anthria

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 09:54:52 PM »
here it goes  8-)

Custom Band Website (HTML, Flash, Wordpress, Joomla, etc.)
Txt: 0916-7440600
"It's only rock'n'roll. It just so happens that we write most of it." - John Lennon

Offline butoyonly

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 10:06:33 PM »
wow..talaga, never heard of this..astig!
kapish.  "Inhalation of vomit due to barbiturate intoxication."

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 05:13:56 AM »
Rockin’ with top guys

By Pocholo Concepcion
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 21:28:00 09/01/2008

MANILA, Philippines—Peals of laughter fill the rehearsal room as Joey “Pepe” Smith cracks one joke after another.

Soon enough he settles down in front of the mic, as Ramon Jacinto twiddles the knobs of his amp, getting ready to play guitar with his house band.

More musicians walk into the room — Louie Talan of Razorback and Pinikpikan, Cowboy Santos of the Blue Rats, Zach Lucero of Imago, Nicole Asencio and Bea Lao of Crowjane, and Wendell Garcia of Pupil. They’re part of dozens of artists rounded up to help Jacinto celebrate radio station DZRJ’s 45th anniversary with a concert dubbed “Super Session” to be held Oct. 25 at the A-Venue on Makati Avenue.

“Five years ago we paid tribute to pop music,” Jacinto tells Inquirer Entertainment. We performed with the likes of Pilita Corrales. This time we’re going rock.”

That sounds like an understatement. At its peak in the late 1970s till the early ‘80s, RJ (“The Rock of Manila”) was the AM station known for having popularized rock ‘n’ roll (with its FM counterpart, “The Source,” throwing in some jazz in the late hours) to at least two generations of Filipino teenagers.

They learned about the music and its lifestyle by tuning in to the shows of “rock jocks” who went by such names as The Madman, The Unicorn, The Spirit, The Mole, Stoney Burke, Bob Magoo, Howlin’ Dave, Lil’ Rock, Sneakers, Ralph Ding, among others.

In the ‘60s the DJs who broke ground included Jimmy Labrador, Steel Banana and Double A — all of whom, incidentally, were Jacinto’s schoolmates at Ateneo de Manila. “I was in third year high school when we thought of putting up a station so we could play what we wanted to hear,” says Jacinto, who also had a band at the time, RJ & the Riots.

The radio station’s greatest legacy was its unconditional support of local artists. In the early ‘70s it premiered a show, “Pinoy Rock and Rhythm” — which played original songs by unknown bands and gave birth to the most pervasive local music genre at present. Pinoy rock was said to have been coined by another RJ deejay named Charlie Brown.

At the rehearsals for the anniversary concert, Smith relives his days as the Mick Jagger of RP, aside from preparing to reprise Pinoy rock’s anthems that he first recorded as one-third of the Juan de la Cruz Band.

The others on the artists’ roster should likewise whet one’s appetite to party with some of the country’s best: Kevin Roy, Jett Pangan, Marc Abaya, Joey Puyat, Johnny Alegre, Tirso Ripoll, Raimund Marasigan, Buddy Zabala, Simon Tan, Cookie Chua, Kat Agarrado, Noli Aurillo, Niño Avenido, Chickoy Pura, among others, including a special appearance by Sampaguita.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 05:16:28 AM by Allan Roy »

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 09:19:22 PM »
up

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 07:31:05 PM »
okay let me be a killjoy by saying it ain't the same without anakbayan (please don't play that updated version of "probinsyana"), maria cafra, vintage florante, aunt irma, petrified anthem, Fadzar Tausug band, the bands on the olongapo compilation album ("wow pare ko", "perswisyo sa lipunan"), the Magellan excerpts, phase two, the group trouble, sonny zandueta, etc.  anyway the music lives on inside my mind...

back to regular programming...

.... "pinoy rock and rhythm" (play A chord and hold...)
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 10:02:51 PM »
yes... i missed also  those bands.... but there music is  still being played in RJ Underground Radio especially every sunday 12 nn till 3 pm......

Pinoy Rock and Rhythm... Sariling Atin....

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 07:33:54 PM »
  View the first rehearsal for the DZRJ 45th Anniversary Super Session with  RJ, Pepe, Louie Talan, Wendell and Cowboy Santos

NR=1

feature=related
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 07:43:51 PM by Allan Roy »

Offline adidas ni hudas

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 12:29:42 PM »
ASTIGIN TOITS MEN !!
i passed my drugtest !!    "get high legally"   "live positive..test negative"

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 02:08:21 AM »
Got a text from Bob Magoo - he said that Sampy and Lolit are not happy about being on the poster even if they're not playing.

Offline thunder_god

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 06:22:51 AM »
Wow!  :-o The legends of Pinoy Rock N Roll! I'll make sure that I'll never miss this event.  :lol:
"I tend to punish my gear so I like the angry Z Customs, while the classic A compliments the destruction."

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 06:41:58 AM »
Hi Jim :

Yes.... that poster is not anymore being used... I think there was a miscommunication between the  coordinator and Lolit's manager  but if you noticed in the subsequent press releases wala na si Lolit but of course we want her  sana  to be there...... Si Sampy i heard will be there.....but i am not sure if she will sing or not......I hope the final line up will be released by Sept 15.still working on some people...... but at the end of the day..... it will be a great rock and roll show on Oct 25.... the greatest and latest. by the way.. Johnny Alegre is the latest addition to the line up......plus Emil Sanglay and at PenPen Band....  but Gary Perez will not be able to make it......I think he left for the states already......  Jazz Nicolas begged off due to a conflict of sked...........
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 12:28:26 PM by Allan Roy »

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 06:49:05 AM »
Tickets for the show will be available  next week... i suggest that you buy it early because the venue can accomodate only about 1, 500 people... I will post asap here in philmusic  the details of the tickets and where you can get it  so that the philmusic denizens will have the first crack of the tickets......... Tip : please be in the venue early. Before the start of the show, and while  the people are coming in to the venue,  they will show in the screen  footages from the Pinoy woodstock 1989........ see bosyo.......Color it red  when they were just a start up....amo band with arnel pineda....... and many more bands during that concert... i think junior jam footages will also be shown...........
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 07:00:05 AM by Allan Roy »

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 09:36:25 AM »
Hi Allan, about Sampaguita, well that's what I got from Bob Magoo's text. I think they didn't agree to play because the Talent Fee was too low or something. Anyway I also surmised it was one of those usual promoter-artist misunderstandings.

Will photography be allowed? Because I want to show up to shoot.  8-)

I'm also curious to if the former DJs based in the States will becoming back to be featured here. Maybe I might bump into my ex-Brother in Law Stoney Burke. Have not seen that guy for probably a decade!  8-)

Finally would appreciate if you can send me Hoagy's mobile number via PM - would like to catch up with this character!

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 12:33:55 PM »
Hi Jim :

I will PM you  on the photography and Hoagy..... I am not sure if the rockjocks based abroad will be coming back for this event...... but as you know Cousin Hoagy will start his show in RJ UR  sunday night at 10... as for Stoney Burke we are trying to get in touch with him to have his crossroads show aired also in RJUR..... I wil PM you also about Mike L................ thanks Man.........

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 04:03:04 PM »
Hi Jim :

I will PM you  on the photography and Hoagy..... I am not sure if the rockjocks based abroad will be coming back for this event...... but as you know Cousin Hoagy will start his show in RJ UR  sunday night at 10... as for Stoney Burke we are trying to get in touch with him to have his crossroads show aired also in RJUR..... I wil PM you also about Mike L................ thanks Man.........

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 09:27:33 PM »
The Tickets for the  45th DZRJ Anniversary  Super Session Concert on Oct 25 at the A. Venue, Makati Avenue,  will be available thru ticketnet starting sept 15(monday) . Ticket prices are  P950 , P750, P500 and P300 .... Please buy your tickets early...limited seats available (small venue)...You can get your tickets at Ticket.net at all SM stores (phone no. 911-5555),

" Super Session Cast : PLaying Classic Rock and Pinoy Rock"

Guitarists :
 RJ Jacinto, Tirso Ripoll, Joey Puyat, Cowboy Santos, Kakoi Legaspi,Daniel Crisologo, Chickoy Pura, Johnny Alegre
Drummers
Wendell Garcia, Paolo Manuel , Bea Lao, Zach Lucero
Bass:
Dondi Ledesma, Simon Tan, Nino Avenido, Francis De Vera, Louie Talan
Vocals :
RJ Jacinto, Pepe Smith, Marc Abaya, Cookie Chua, Nicole Ascensio, Emee Fortuno, Emil Sanglay, Cowboy Santos, Raymund Marasigan, Chickoy Pura , Aia De Leon and LC De Leon (Reklamo Band)

Percussiin
Diego Beltran

Keyboards:
Ernie Vinoya

This concert is for the benefit of Golden Rooster Foundation to raise funds for the families of our fallen soldiers.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 09:22:27 AM by Allan Roy »

Offline thunder_god

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 11:56:19 AM »
I'll get tickets asap
"I tend to punish my gear so I like the angry Z Customs, while the classic A compliments the destruction."

Offline mudcoremaine

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 09:58:33 AM »
i'm so excited!  :mrgreen:

wala na ba sa lineup sina gary perez, kevin roy, sampaguita at lolita carbon na kasama sa poster?
karhat man!

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 10:55:13 AM »
On line ticket reservations . Please get your tickets asap, limited seats only. the venue will hold only about 1,500.

http://www.ticketnet.com.ph/2006/detail.php?eid=936&res=Y

i'm so excited!  :mrgreen:

wala na ba sa lineup sina gary perez, kevin roy, sampaguita at lolita carbon na kasama sa poster?

yes gary perez, kevin roy, sampaguita and Lolita  and Kat will not be in the concert...... but  Daniel Crisologo of DRT  will be there...... see you guys sa concert

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 05:27:59 AM »
Just an Update ;

I attended the practice of the Super Session Concert last night and it was  fantactic . Gathering some of the best musicians of the land in one big jam.

One line up consists  of:

Marc Abaya and Cookie Chua, Kakoy Legaspi, Daniel Crisologo, Tirdo Ripoll, Dondi Ledesma,  Paolo  Manuel

Another set was :

Pepe Smith, RJ Jacinto, Raymund Marasigan, Chickoy Pura , Zach Lucero and Nino Avenido.

The Classic Rock Line up of :

Joey Puyat, Chickoy Pura. Tirso Ripoll,  Simon Tan, Dondi Ledesma,  Paolo Manuel, LC De Leon  and Marc Abaya.

The other musicians I saw were Emee Fortuno, Bea lao, Nicole Acensio, Francis de Vera, Cowboy Santos, Johnny Alegre, Wendell Garcia...........

We will try to upload some pictures......
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 06:52:02 AM by Allan Roy »

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 10:28:42 AM »

PDI Sept 19, 2008
MANILA, Philippines—Approaching RJ Bar on Jupiter Street in Makati City Monday night seemed like walking down Savile Row in London in January 1969. The familiar “Don’t Let Me Down” was playing, and the surprise rooftop concert of the Beatles at the Apple Records building came to mind.

But this is 2008, a world and several generations away from psychedelic London. Nonetheless, the band, a Pinoy “Super Band” of top rock musicians in the Philippines, sounded as phenomenal.

A jovial Joey “Pepe” Smith frolicked onstage as he shared vocals with Ramon “RJ” Jacinto and Raimund Marasigan of Sandwich. We were treated to Cowboy Santos’ (of the Blue Rats) stirring riffs that recalled George Harrison. Imago’s Zach Lucero kept the beat as would Ringo, while the Greyhoundz’s Nino Avenido made like a McCartney on bass. Ernie Vinoya of RJ and Friends struck a Billy Preston moment.

After a final strum on the Fab Four, another set of rock artists took the stage, this time to take on Juan dela Cruz band, Smith’s original group.

“’Di mo alam ang kanta mo? (You don’t know your own song?),” Jacinto needled Smith, who seemed to have forgotten the lyrics to his signature “Balong Malalim.” The band—Kjwan’s Marc Abaya, The Jerks’ Chikoy Pura and Rivermaya’s Kakoi Legazpi —roared with laughter.

Smith later made up for this “boo-boo” with a powerful rendition of “Beep Beep,” with Jacinto, Abaya and Marasigan that brought the house down.

This was the first rehearsal night of Pinoy rock legends who will participate in the upcoming “Super Session,” 45th anniversary concert of radio station dzRJ. The musicians did assigned covers of Led Zeppelin, Sampaguita, The Doors, The Jerks, Cream, Derek and the Dominoes, Steely Dan, The Allman Brothers Band, The Rolling Stones, The Guess Who and The Troggs.

Part of the repertoire is a set of Eraserheads songs to be performed by original group members Marasigan and Buddy Zabala with Jacinto and Smith. Marasigan will also perform Sandwich songs with Jacinto.

Also in the lineup of performers are Jett Pangan of The Dawn, Tirso Ripoll of Razorback, Danniel Crisologo of Mojofly, Cooky Chua of Color It Red, Paolo Manuel of Datu’s Tribe, Louie Talan of Razorback, Wendel Garcia of Pupil, Diego Beltran of The Out of Body Special, Joey Puyat of The Blue Rats, Simon Tan of Lampano Alley, Nicole Asensio of Crowjane, Francis de Veyra of Radioactive Sago Project, Bea Lao of Wally Gonzales band and Emmie Fortuno.

There will be special performances by Emil Sanglay and Pen-Pen and Sampaguita guitarist Arnold Jollares.

“Putting this together was an immense challenge,” Jacinto said. “The artists’ schedules were daunting. But they all made the commitment out of respect for the station and Pinoy rock.”

Jacinto’s dzRJ, founded in 1963, is considered the pioneer in airing rock music in the country. Its early playlists consisted of songs by The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Eric Clapton and Steely Dan. It would later promote the music of Pinoy groups Juan dela Cruz Band, Sampaguita, Freddie Aguilar and Anakbayan.

Effortless

Even if the Super Band musicians had jammed only for the first time, it seemed they had been playing together for years.

“Remarkably, they gelled effortlessly,” Jacinto said. “Only one or two more rehearsals and we’re ready to go.”

If Monday’s session was an indication of what to expect come “Super Session” on Oct. 25 at the A-Venue Events Hall on Makati Avenue, then Pinoy rock fans are in for an unforgettable treat.

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2008, 05:59:38 AM »
Kadangyan  and Aia De Leon of Imago are the latest addition to the 45th DZJ Anniversary Super Session performers

Offline Allan Roy

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 05:31:15 PM by Allan Roy »