hulika

Author Topic: drum tracks...please help  (Read 1851 times)

Offline xboughtbybloodx

drum tracks...please help
« on: September 19, 2008, 09:10:02 AM »
good day mga sirs i have a question bout recording drums...i use an hp laptop with guitar pro 2.0 to track basic recordings.my set up includes 5 mics for the drums hooked up to my mixer which is then hooked up to my laptop via the mic input.my question is how can i make the drum tracks come out individually rather than the whole thing coming out as just one track?sorry sirs kung medjo malabo explanation ko newbie in recording po....hehe..do i need to add some sort of hardware?or software? any help would be greatly appreciated...maraming salamat po!!!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: drum tracks...please help
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 09:39:11 AM »
Think this way... your mixer is 'submixing' your drum tracks into a stereo track (most likely) before being sent to your laptop. Your bottleneck, therefore, is your recording interface, most likely the laptop's line input, right?

What you need is a multi input interface so that you can connect the drum mics to an individual input that your software will recognize. The hard part is that you need an interface with at least 4 mic inputs and the more mic preamps an interface has, the more expensive. A quicker alternative would be to get a firewire or usb2 mixer; each channel can be recorded to the software as an individual track.

hth,
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 10:33:35 AM »

Offline xboughtbybloodx

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 10:47:08 PM »
Think this way... your mixer is 'submixing' your drum tracks into a stereo track (most likely) before being sent to your laptop. Your bottleneck, therefore, is your recording interface, most likely the laptop's line input, right?

What you need is a multi input interface so that you can connect the drum mics to an individual input that your software will recognize. The hard part is that you need an interface with at least 4 mic inputs and the more mic preamps an interface has, the more expensive. A quicker alternative would be to get a firewire or usb2 mixer; each channel can be recorded to the software as an individual track.

hth,
is this what you mean sir..... drum mics>firewire or usb2 mixer>laptop?so there would be no more use for my mixer with this setup?would something like m-audio be an example of firewire?medjo naliwanagan po ako sir super thanks sa inyo.laking tulong nyo sa noobs like me

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 01:31:21 AM »
is this what you mean sir..... drum mics>firewire or usb2 mixer>laptop?

i think this is what sir kit means. the drum mics can be directly plugged to your interface then interface to your pc. then, the interface will send the pc the mics' audio data individually to the pc, so your DAW can recognize it as separate tracks.

so there would be no more use for my mixer with this setup?

yup. see above.  :-D

would something like m-audio be an example of firewire?

yes again. but firewire is just one of the ways you can send multiple audio/track data to your pc. you can also use a multi-input/channel soundcard or a USB interface.  :wink:
“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis
 http://soundcloud.com/jammingpapu

Offline xboughtbybloodx

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 09:56:20 AM »
i think this is what sir kit means. the drum mics can be directly plugged to your interface then interface to your pc. then, the interface will send the pc the mics' audio data individually to the pc, so your DAW can recognize it as separate tracks.

yup. see above.  :-D

yes again. but firewire is just one of the ways you can send multiple audio/track data to your pc. you can also use a multi-input/channel soundcard or a USB interface.  :wink:

sir jammingpapu salamat po sa info....would getting a multi-input soundcard be cheaper than getting something like m audio?

Offline killswitch

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 10:39:24 AM »
a sound card/audio interface with four analog inputs(no onboard preamp) on recording drums

from an outboard preamp

example, track 1 records your kick, track 2 - snare, tracks 3 and 4 - your OH, where audio input 1 on your audio interface is the input for your mono track 1, audio input 2 for mono track 2 and inputs 3 and 4 to your stereo track 3 or mono tracks 3 and 4.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 10:46:18 AM by killswitch »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 10:42:49 AM »
Here is one example:

This is an Alesis 16 input firewire mixer. You can see 8 mic preamps in the pic; each channel in the mixer can be recognized as an individual 'track' in your DAW, to put it simply. Phonic is another example of a firewire mixer manufacturer. Just be aware of compatibility issues with your pc, so you can avoid the troubles karlo is experiencing.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 01:53:25 PM »
would getting a multi-input soundcard be cheaper than getting something like m audio?

on the basis of m-audio's product line of interfaces, the soundcard-based interface are cheaper than firewires.  :-D
“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 01:56:53 PM »
on the basis of m-audio's product line of interfaces, the soundcard-based interface are cheaper than firewires.  :-D

That's because most of them don't have mic preamps.

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 02:06:56 PM »
That's because most of them don't have mic preamps.

well, i think this is also an important factor to consider when purchasing a soundcard-base interface. by experience, pupwedeng mapamahal ka pa sa interface kasi baka kailangan ka pang bumili ng pre-amp(s) para mas ok ang setup mo.

di katulad ng may pre-amp na interface na magkasama na.

kung dedicated na interface lang ang kailangan, a interface with preamp would be ideal... again, it all comes down to what your recording needs are.  :-D
- Miles Davis

Offline stilljey

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 12:25:13 AM »
and heres another example

The Presonus Firestudio Project, a firewire Interface with 8 mic preamps
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 12:42:03 AM by stilljey »

Offline digitalcyco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 07:57:20 PM »
Hi share ko lang.

Nagtitipid kami last year and was rushing to do a demo asap with very limited budget. We once borrowed an M-Audio MultiMix and recorded the drums for a total of 6 tracks (kick, snare, tom 1, tom 2, overhead left, overhead right)

then I applied compression on the kick, cleaned up the excess waveforms on the tom/snare tracks and ran each track through Drumagog except the overheads using samples from DrumKit from Hell.

Worked decently for us since our band had a crappy drumkit to start with. We just aimed for a decent sounding kit because we wanted our drummer to stand out.

http://www.myspace.com/inmemoryofericband <---- tracks "Down" and "Seven"  drums were recorded this way.

(syempre recording namin hndi papasa sa professional na tenga hehehe)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 08:01:14 PM by digitalcyco »
This is a forum siggy.