hulika

Author Topic: The Stratocaster Thread  (Read 1193158 times)

Offline iceblink-luck

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The Stratocaster Thread
« Reply #5150 on: August 19, 2014, 12:49:03 AM »
guys! how good is a routemaster? a friend of mine share me this clipping !  :)
Feed me with your noise!!!
FOR SALE Guitar EFFECTS:Click THIS---->//talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=282470.msg3863929#msg3863929

Offline jofel

« Reply #5151 on: August 21, 2014, 11:52:27 AM »
Hi guys! Please help me out. I'm torn between these two:

Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS in Arctic White Maple Fretboard

Fender Blacktop Stratocaster in Sonic Blue Rosewood Fretboard

BTW, I play pop punk.  :-D
I already have a Blacktop Jazzmaster, and I think the quality is good. I know the Standard and the Blacktop are both made in Mexico and they have the same price tag, does that mean they are equal in terms of quality? I haven't tried a Standard Stratocaster pa kase.

Offline shodawmoon

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5152 on: August 21, 2014, 02:19:58 PM »

I already have a Blacktop Jazzmaster, and I think the quality is good. I know the Standard and the Blacktop are both made in Mexico and they have the same price tag, does that mean they are equal in terms of quality? I haven't tried a Standard Stratocaster pa kase.
try both so you could compare then decide. but between the 2, I'd go for the standard. so I could at least have a contrast to the warmth that the rosewood board has on the blacktop jazzmaster.

Offline jofel

« Reply #5153 on: August 21, 2014, 02:47:49 PM »
try both so you could compare then decide. but between the 2, I'd go for the standard. so I could at least have a contrast to the warmth that the rosewood board has on the blacktop jazzmaster.
Thank you for the reply sir! But trying would be impossible since the guitars are sold online and there are no guitar shops here in Bohol. Pero gusto ko po yung advice nyo.  :)

So it's Standard = 1; blacktop = 0 then.

I need at least 2 more inputs from the experts here.  :-)

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5154 on: August 21, 2014, 03:14:44 PM »
Thank you for the reply sir! But trying would be impossible since the guitars are sold online and there are no guitar shops here in Bohol. Pero gusto ko po yung advice nyo.  :)

So it's Standard = 1; blacktop = 0 then.

I need at least 2 more inputs from the experts here.  :-)

get the standard s-s-h with a rosewood neck..hehe its all you will ever need in a guitar... tapos sabay ka order ng red/brown tort pickguard...haha good luck!
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline jofel

« Reply #5155 on: August 21, 2014, 04:28:04 PM »
get the standard s-s-h with a rosewood neck..hehe its all you will ever need in a guitar... tapos sabay ka order ng red/brown tort pickguard...haha good luck!
Thanks sir Gandy! Hmmm. I like the looks of the maple fretboard on the white strat kase.  :-P
Anyway, aside from the difference in tone, what made you choose rosewood over maple?   :-)

So it's Standard=2; Blacktop=0 then.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5156 on: August 21, 2014, 04:46:35 PM »
Thanks sir Gandy! Hmmm. I like the looks of the maple fretboard on the white strat kase.  :-P
Anyway, aside from the difference in tone, what made you choose rosewood over maple?   :-)

So it's Standard=2; Blacktop=0 then.

hahaha ok lang..I was a huge fan of maple necks ago..I got my dream maple neck strat..and suddenly hated it..and had some remorse that I shouldve got a rosewood neck one dahil sa looks lang naman...hahaha
but anyway follow your heart...

Ive had a SSS standard and it was sweet..love the build, the feel and the tone..it was a player (pre loved by some blues guy) so it was set up well though had huge obvious dings ...traded it for a bunch of boutique pedals though..hahaha..
as for the blacktop...Ive seen blacktop Jags and Jazzmasters.. I find them a bit cheap looking in person.. I dont know ha..maybe its just me or maybe its just the showroom items I saw...anyway...2 points na naman yung Standard eh...hahaha

Why not check out the stuff sa classifieds? there are American standards going for 38-40k plus bago pa with  case candy and all...(kung makachamba) saw the semi hollow MIM carbonita the stuff going out the Mexico plant recently are pretty sweet...pati yata yung Troy Van Leeuwen Jazmaster..
is built there.. :drool:
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline jofel

« Reply #5157 on: August 21, 2014, 05:11:32 PM »
hahaha ok lang..I was a huge fan of maple necks ago..I got my dream maple neck strat..and suddenly hated it..and had some remorse that I shouldve got a rosewood neck one dahil sa looks lang naman...hahaha
Haha! Pero sa tingin ko rin po, parang mas sensitive ang maple compared to rosewood in terms of durability, tama po ba?

Ive had a SSS standard and it was sweet..love the build, the feel and the tone..it was a player (pre loved by some blues guy) so it was set up well though had huge obvious dings ...traded it for a bunch of boutique pedals though..hahaha..
as for the blacktop...Ive seen blacktop Jags and Jazzmasters.. I find them a bit cheap looking in person.. I dont know ha..maybe its just me or maybe its just the showroom items I saw...anyway...2 points na naman yung Standard eh...hahaha

Why not check out the stuff sa classifieds? there are American standards going for 38-40k plus bago pa with  case candy and all...(kung makachamba) saw the semi hollow MIM carbonita the stuff going out the Mexico plant recently are pretty sweet...pati yata yung Troy Van Leeuwen Jazmaster.. is built there.. :drool:
Gustuhin ko man, pero yung budget ko ayaw eh. Tsaka credit card lang din gagamitin ko, wala akong pang cash.  :lol:

Anyway, Standard ang panalo. I'll close the deal with the seller of the Standard Strat na siguro later.

Thanks po sa inyo.  :wave:

Offline shodawmoon

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5158 on: August 22, 2014, 10:49:17 AM »
Haha! Pero sa tingin ko rin po, parang mas sensitive ang maple compared to rosewood in terms of durability, tama po ba?
Gustuhin ko man, pero yung budget ko ayaw eh. Tsaka credit card lang din gagamitin ko, wala akong pang cash.  :lol:

Anyway, Standard ang panalo. I'll close the deal with the seller of the Standard Strat na siguro later.

Thanks po sa inyo.  :wave:

I beg to differ. rosewood is generally considered as softer than maple (but it isn't necessarily a bad thing). And just to add, rosewood tends to sound mellower than maple to my ears. Maple necks have this distinct snap/bite That I really dig.
It really is about preference more than anything and not about which one is "better". and I do like both maple and rosewood on strats.

Advance congrats and have fun with your Strat!

Also, here's my 1993 62ri Strat. I took all the chrome hardware and replaced them with gold. Inspired by an original 1962 Mary Kaye I saw online.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 10:55:01 AM by shodawmoon »

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #5159 on: August 22, 2014, 10:51:19 AM »

Get the Standard HSS, in Rosewood Fretboard. :D

Rosewood to tame some highs. the maple fretboards sound to sharp for me. pero syempre, depende sa taste mo.

why the HSS?
Iba pa rin pag Single Coil neck. I doubt kasi na you need a humbucker neck kasi di naman shredfest ang pop punk. more on kaskasan, so better kung single coil para may brightness ka. :D

plus, you get the position 2 (neck + mid pickup) aka the QUACK setting for those clean strums that require that bell-like chime :D (think, the tings tings.)

@Shadowmoon,

eh nakakainggit yung gold hardware mo. HAHAHAHA
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline jofel

« Reply #5160 on: August 22, 2014, 11:02:16 AM »
Wow! Thank you for all the great advices! About the maple vs rosewood, mali pala ako. Thank you for educating me mga masters!  :-D

So it's the standard HSS then.

Ang ganda naman ng 62ri na yan!  :drool:

Offline iceblink-luck

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5161 on: August 22, 2014, 12:15:49 PM »

Why not check out the stuff sa classifieds? there are American standards going for 38-40k plus bago pa with  case candy and all...(kung makachamba) saw the semi hollow MIM carbonita the stuff going out the Mexico plant recently are pretty sweet...pati yata yung Troy Van Leeuwen Jazmaster..
is built there.. :drool:
gandy your pushing it !  :)
FOR SALE Guitar EFFECTS:Click THIS---->//talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=282470.msg3863929#msg3863929

Offline jofel

« Reply #5162 on: August 22, 2014, 12:54:56 PM »
Wait! I think I might be ending up with the blacktop.  :|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGIoGRElXA

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5163 on: August 22, 2014, 01:53:47 PM »
Wait! I think I might be ending up with the blacktop.  :|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGIoGRElXA

either way..should be both fine...advance happy NGD!

maporma din yung blacktop na yan..sige lang go na!
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline opencoke

« Reply #5164 on: August 23, 2014, 01:08:03 AM »
Aesthetically speaking, that blacktop was the one I would pick. The other one looks plain IMO :-D

At tsaka, fan ako ng H-H config :lol:
Paf joe, Evo2, Breeds... STEVE VAI <3

Offline burnthyfret

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5165 on: August 23, 2014, 10:10:53 AM »
I'm not sure if I've posted this pic here, but anyhow... Someday I'll replace all the hardware with gold. There's something classy about sunbursts and gold in my eyes.  :money:

:drool:

Offline jofel

« Reply #5167 on: August 23, 2014, 07:41:52 PM »
Aesthetically speaking, that blacktop was the one I would pick. The other one looks plain IMO :-D

At tsaka, fan ako ng H-H config :lol:

Thanks sa pahabol na advice!  :-D

Even though the score is 3 to 1 in favor of the HSS Standard Strat, I ended up with the Blacktop.  :idea:

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5168 on: August 23, 2014, 08:01:19 PM »
Thanks sa pahabol na advice!  :-D

Even though the score is 3 to 1 in favor of the HSS Standard Strat, I ended up with the Blacktop.  :idea:

should be ok...at least cool factor is there kasi kaw lang may ganyan...congrats..pics pag dating...woooot!
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline jofel

« Reply #5169 on: August 23, 2014, 08:37:54 PM »
should be ok...at least cool factor is there kasi kaw lang may ganyan...congrats..pics pag dating...woooot!
Haha! Thanks sir Gandy. Sure! Maybe by next week, sana andito na yun.  :)

Thank you po ulit sa great advice, kahit di ko sinunod.  :-P

Offline tsunamic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5170 on: August 24, 2014, 11:09:52 PM »
Just got a new strat!

will post pics later

Medyo ot guys. I want to buy this strat wiring kit sa ebay

Just in case ba yung shipping and item price lang babayaran?

Or pag dumating sakin may other fees pa? Wala naman?

Offline throwinshapes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5171 on: August 24, 2014, 11:37:00 PM »
Just got a new strat!

will post pics later

Is this the one I traded for your Tele? Hope you enjoy it man, it's a really, REALLY nice guitar. I just happened to want a Tele even more. Haha.

Btw, since there was a discussion earlier about the effects of fretboard wood on tone, you guys might be interested in checking this out: http://www.petelacis.com/2010/07/08/alder-vs-swamp-ash-maple-vs-rosewood-and-a-neck-swap-the-definitive-comparison-with-audio-clips/

The takeaway from that demo for me is how maple is often perceived as a "bright" sounding wood and is associated with a brighter, snappier tone in one-piece maple necks than on maple + rosewood. However, based on this demo (and from personal experience), maple doesn't necessarily mean brighter. The alder + maple/maple combination has the most focused sound with less complex harmonics out of all the traditional Strat wood combinations, and as such, tends to sound better (i.e. clearer, not muddy at all) with gain. So for my style, and I guess blues and rock in general, alder + maple/maple would be the way to go. So my vote goes to the Standard Strat HSS. Hehe.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 11:41:12 PM by throwinshapes »

Offline jofel

« Reply #5172 on: August 24, 2014, 11:49:03 PM »
Just got a new strat!

will post pics later

Happy NGD sir tsunamic!   :)

As for your ebay question, ilang beses na ako bumili thru them. Most of the time, pag maliliit lang na packages, kagaya ng pedals, nasa 40 pesos lang binabayaran ko pag claim ko ng package sa post office. HTH  :-)

Is this the one I traded for your Tele? Hope you enjoy it man, it's a really, REALLY nice guitar. I just happened to want a Tele even more. Haha.

Btw, since there was a discussion earlier about the effects of fretboard wood on tone, you guys might be interested in checking this out: http://www.petelacis.com/2010/07/08/alder-vs-swamp-ash-maple-vs-rosewood-and-a-neck-swap-the-definitive-comparison-with-audio-clips/

The takeaway from that demo for me is how maple is often perceived as a "bright" sounding wood and is associated with a brighter, snappier tone in one-piece maple necks than on maple + rosewood. However, based on this demo (and from personal experience), maple doesn't necessarily mean brighter. The alder + maple/maple combination has the most focused sound with less complex harmonics out of all the traditional Strat wood combinations, and as such, tends to sound better (i.e. clearer, not muddy at all) with gain. So for my style, and I guess blues and rock in general, alder + maple/maple would be the way to go. So my vote goes to the Standard Strat HSS. Hehe.

Wow! Thank you for sharing this sir throwinshapes! Napaka educational po nito.

And happy NGD din po sa inyo!  :)

P. S.

Ngayon ko lang nabasa yung last sentence, nag vote po pala kayo sa HSS Strat. Naku! Nabayaran ko po yung Blacktop with rosewood fretboard.  :lol:

Pero meron naman po akong Squier Telecustom na maple fretboard.  :-D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 12:01:14 AM by jofel »

Offline j3yps

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5173 on: August 28, 2014, 11:20:27 PM »
Latest addition to the family

a 1987 Fender American Standard Stratocaster

Offline iceblink-luck

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5174 on: August 29, 2014, 01:45:28 AM »
really nice color is really cool avri!