hulika

Author Topic: The amazing Carlos Rios ..  (Read 9635 times)

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
The amazing Carlos Rios ..
« on: September 29, 2008, 01:51:17 AM »

Tried looking for some old youtube clips of Gino Vanelli with drummer Mark Craney and Carlos Rios on guitar, but found this instead.

As always, just like the great session guy he was known for, he plays with utmost simplicity, taste but with an amazing tone and feel.

Love that 'on the verge of feedback' tone ..
"No static at all ..."

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The amazing Carlos Rios ..
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 02:43:53 PM »
me thinks that he's the guitarist w/ Tom Scott when they performed here some 2 decades back... Carlos also guested (along w/ Scott Henderson) on Chick Corea's Electric Band debut album...

I must agree... very tasty solos... Galing!!!

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 03:53:15 PM »
Yup, he was Tom Scott's guitarist when they came over that time. In fact, Joey P was reminiscing about that time when they came over to Birds to jam with them. Unfortunately, Carlos wasn't able to jam coz there weren't any lefty guitars at the venue then.

It was Carlos who urged Joey to check out the vintage Rats - when they first met in New York a few years prior to their coming here.

Likewise for his unforgettable solos in Corea's Elektric Band debut album. I actually prefer Rios' solos in the title cut, 'Cool Weasel Boogie' and his other cuts compared to what Scott Henderson did..
"No static at all ..."

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 06:32:41 PM »
Yup, he was Tom Scott's guitarist when they came over that time. In fact, Joey P was reminiscing about that time when they came over to Birds to jam with them. Unfortunately, Carlos wasn't able to jam coz there weren't any lefty guitars at the venue then.

It was Carlos who urged Joey to check out the vintage Rats - when they first met in New York a few years prior to their coming here.

Likewise for his unforgettable solos in Corea's Elektric Band debut album. I actually prefer Rios' solos in the title cut, 'Cool Weasel Boogie' and his other cuts compared to what Scott Henderson did..

that's also my fave. until now, I still listen to that cut ( I have the original vinyl signed by Chick & Weckel :-D ) ... still sends shiver down my spine :-D  any updates on Carlos' recent works? (projects;bands;sessions)...

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 05:51:18 PM »
And tales tell that when Mr. Rios hasn't even reached 20 yet, he's already killing - as captured by his tasteful solo on Lionel Richie's 'HELLO'.

:-D
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 02:12:17 PM »
And tales tell that when Mr. Rios hasn't even reached 20 yet, he's already killing - as captured by his tasteful solo on Lionel Richie's 'HELLO'.

:-D

thanks for the trivia bro... after two decades, now i know :-D

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 09:43:24 AM »
I love that solo - very concise, very nice note choices..

PANALO!  :-D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 09:47:20 AM by nancy brew »
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline extreme16199

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 07:33:34 PM »

Tried looking for some old youtube clips of Gino Vanelli with drummer Mark Craney and Carlos Rios on guitar, but found this instead.

As always, just like the great session guy he was known for, he plays with utmost simplicity, taste but with an amazing tone and feel.

Love that 'on the verge of feedback' tone ..

i had to do a double take.  i thought tony iommi was soloing.  hehe!