hulika

Author Topic: Stratocaster or Telecaster?  (Read 5205 times)

Offline Jagmaster

Stratocaster or Telecaster?
« on: November 16, 2008, 08:20:25 PM »
Guys I am just a beginner and planning to buy my first electric guitar. Which one do you consider for me and probably what brand? I want a good guitar wherein the sound is good either amplified or not amplified. Thanks!

Offline haxo55

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Stratocaster or Telecaster?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 09:20:29 PM »
kung san ka kumportable
Quote from: Philmusic.com
News:
oh yeah, our search engine is powered by Chuck Norris as well

Offline paolo_axentro

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 11:19:33 PM »
Guys I am just a beginner and planning to buy my first electric guitar. Which one do you consider for me and probably what brand? I want a good guitar wherein the sound is good either amplified or not amplified. Thanks!

kahit ano jan sa strat o tele kung wala kang prefer na tunog. pero kung "as in" beginner ka, mas ok siguro strat.
sa brand naman, kung may budget = fender.

Offline gitarakista27

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 11:32:51 PM »
kahit ano jan sa strat o tele kung wala kang prefer na tunog. pero kung "as in" beginner ka, mas ok siguro strat.
sa brand naman, kung may budget = fender.

if you're looking for a versatility and for flexibility, go for the strat. Masarap ang strat lalong lalo na kapag glassy and bell tone tlaga. Masarap din ang Tele lalong lalo na if ash ang body nya. You get the agression and the twang that only a tele can provide.

Offline paolo_axentro

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 11:34:33 PM »
if you're looking for a versatility and for flexibility, go for the strat. Masarap ang strat lalong lalo na kapag glassy and bell tone tlaga. Masarap din ang Tele lalong lalo na if ash ang body nya. You get the agression and the twang that only a tele can provide.
+1 ako sa strat, strat user here.  :-)

Offline paul_sigua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 11:43:44 PM »
Les Paul. :-P

Offline skrumian

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 06:16:35 AM »
my take is a strat because of its versatility, but this is just my opinion. if you like a tele (especially if you love that twang sound), nothing wrong with it.

just be sure to try and check all possible guitars that you can before purchasing.

Looking for second hand but still in good condition books:
1) The Complete MBA for Dummies; and 2) The Ten Day MBA
PM me!

Offline am i clear?

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 08:34:26 AM »
Question po about Telecaster.

Some says that Telecaster is a more complicated guitar to play compared to Strats. May properties daw kasi ang strat na nakaka-pickup nung tunay na playing capability nung user nito. Totoo po ba yun? Saka in what way?

Offline paperlungs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 08:35:38 AM »
BOTH. :-D

Offline GNOB29

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 08:50:11 AM »
i already dispose here: Fender Strat 50th Anniversary Made in U.S, Fender Strat MIJ Reverse Headstock, Epiphone Firebird, Godin Acoustic, Octave OC2, XBOX 360.

My Gear: Hamer Vector, Fender Strat 57ri, Warlock and my Pedalboard...

Offline skrumian

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 09:16:41 AM »

Some says that Telecaster is a more complicated guitar to play compared to Strats. May properties daw kasi ang strat na nakaka-pickup nung tunay na playing capability nung user nito. Totoo po ba yun? Saka in what way?
medyo magulo po yung tanong nyo.

properties ng tele? baka yung twang sound.

tapos sabay yung strat nakakakuha  ng totoong capabilities ng user? pick attack ba tinutukoy mo?
Looking for second hand but still in good condition books:
1) The Complete MBA for Dummies; and 2) The Ten Day MBA
PM me!

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 09:46:56 AM »
sounds good amplified or not? neither, they won't be very audible without an amplifier.
go get a good hollow body if you want your electric guitar to sound nice amplified or not.
As for your question, I will go for the strat. More sound options and a lot more comfortable to play. Plus the tremolo system.

Offline markv

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 11:55:05 AM »
Kalansing + bilog ang tone  -- strat

Vocal-like 'aw' tone + twang -- tele

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 01:24:25 PM »
Go with the Tele..
work your way up to the Strat..  :-)
Are You Experienced

Offline guitbox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 04:58:20 PM »
it seems that you already have an idea of what you want---probably influenced by artists/bands that you've seen and listen to; hence the choices...
IMHO, i'd say go with a strat. 

mind you though, not all strats (and this probably applies to most of the guitars) of the same model/make sound the same.  my recommendation is that you try more than one strat before deciding---whichever is more appealing to your ear.

my ten cents...

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 05:10:05 PM by guitbox »
My passion comes from my Jesus...

Offline samishellacool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 05:48:06 PM »
Strat and tele hybrid.

Offline paolo_axentro

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 05:50:28 PM »
Strat and tele hybrid.
pwede din, custom  :lol:

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 07:28:18 PM »
I'd go for a strat for versatility and as you've read from most who say the same thing about it... I guess we have a winner then?  :-D

Offline Jagmaster

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 08:18:27 PM »
Thank you very much for your suggestions. Anyway, Mang Max told me that strats are "twangier" than teles. Probably i will buy a Squier strat... i may look for Fender though but I'm not sure if my budget can satisfy its price. Any other brands you want to suggest? :-)

itchybrain

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 08:25:21 PM »
Thank you very much for your suggestions. Anyway, Mang Max told me that strats are "twangier" than teles. Probably i will buy a Squier strat... i may look for Fender though but I'm not sure if my budget can satisfy its price. Any other brands you want to suggest? :-)

If you have the money to buy a brand new Squier, I suggest you try out Japanese made Fender Strats. Makaka-tiempo ka ng top quality Fender Stratocaster na MIJ na kapresyo ng brand new Squiers (if you're really lucky, maybe way cheaper). Konting upgrades na lang if the need arises. :-)

Offline Jagmaster

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 08:29:26 PM »
If you have the money to buy a brand new Squier, I suggest you try out Japanese made Fender Strats. Makaka-tiempo ka ng top quality Fender Stratocaster na MIJ na kapresyo ng brand new Squiers (if you're really lucky, maybe way cheaper). Konting upgrades na lang if the need arises. :-)

Really kapresyo ng brand new Squier strats? Where can I try those Japanese Fender strats or maybe later on buy them? By the way thanks sir  :-)

itchybrain

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 08:59:11 PM »

^ No prob.

Of course, you get them second hand. Pero sulit lalo na kung orig na Fender Japan. Marami na ring threads dito tungkol diyan. Just search, 'tol.

I got all my MIJs here at Philmusic. Antay ka lang. Huwag ka magmadali. Makaka-tiempo ka. :-D  Or pwede ring build your own. Maraming tutulong sa iyo dito sa Philmusic pag humingi ka ng advice about building your own strat.

Offline Jagmaster

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 09:04:47 PM »
do you mean na papacustom? by the way, yung kaya ko lang po kasi na mode of payment ay installment... kaya ko maghulog every month para sa guitar ko pero hindi ko kaya maglabas agad ng cash na 10k and above... as in full payment... college student palang po ako and this will be my first electric guitar...

itchybrain

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 09:27:39 PM »
do you mean na papacustom? by the way, yung kaya ko lang po kasi na mode of payment ay installment... kaya ko maghulog every month para sa guitar ko pero hindi ko kaya maglabas agad ng cash na 10k and above... as in full payment... college student palang po ako and this will be my first electric guitar...

You can customize a strat (or a guitar of your choice) with parts bought from different sources. Not necessarily going to a luthier and commissioning him to make a custom. :-) In my case, I have two customized Fender MIJs with parts bought from different persons here in Philmusic (some in ebay and some from local stores) and i got the specific parts I want (pups, neck, etc).  Pwede mong pag-ipunan.

Siyempre, depende sa bibilhin mong parts. It may cost you a lot (specially the Custom Shop or Suhr Pups) but makaka tiembo ka ng mura kahit brand new (there's a seller here in the classifieds who sold a US stamped Fender saddles for 1K!). Of course, ikaw ang masusunod. Depende sa gusto mo. Iyon eh, kung gusto mo ng ganitong process.

Parang nag-aasemble ka lang ng BMX or any bike. Ganun ginawa ko nung high school sa bike ko. Ipon allowance then bili part/s. :-D Fulfilling.

Offline haringulan

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 09:29:06 PM »

i own a standard jap fender tele and a 50s reish fender strat, if at all possible get both, hehehe.
tele has more balls (sorry strat lovers), but i do love the neck and middle pu tone that i only get on my strat.

as for the tele being more complicated, its actually the contrary if you consider that compared to the strat, it only has two knobs (one volume and the tone controls both neck and bridge pus), three pu positions, two pick ups, and has a fixed bridge.

all that considered, the tele is beauty in simplicity and lets you just concentrate on your playing.

it still all boils down to what most of the dudes here already told you, choose one that you feel "at one" with. cant go wrong with either models.

as for custom made ones, yeah there are some really great custom made ones here (check the elegee threads). but i am not sure about your budget.

but since this will be your very first electric guitar, i say keep on saving until you get enough to buy a really good guitar that will NOT frustrate you with intonation/tuning problems. in other words, invest on something that will help you hone your playing. my mistake when i got my first electric was that i forced getting one with the small budget i had. i just ended up wanting a better one and wish i waited so more and saved up for it. that itch can be a b*tch!

my PhP 0.02 on this, happy hunting!