hulika

Author Topic: Pwede ba i-Handcarry ang guitar?  (Read 11622 times)

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
Pwede ba i-Handcarry ang guitar?
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2006, 07:18:54 PM »
Eto pinaginamit kong argument dati nung pina-handcarry ko sa nanay ko yung gitarang binili namin online.  Kahit nasa discretion pa rin ng airline, it helps na supported ka ng US gov't policy-wise:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1235.xml

Galing nga lang ng Dubai ate mo, syempre hindi applicable US policy...

Offline j3ff

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2006, 07:33:33 PM »
puwede na kaya itong case na ito kung hindi maiwasan na icheck-in yung guitar?
http://www.music123.com/Gator-Hardshell-Electric-Guitar-Case-i234879.music

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2006, 07:48:07 PM »
Quote from: j3ff
puwede na kaya itong case na ito kung hindi maiwasan na icheck-in yung guitar?
http://www.music123.com/Gator-Hardshell-Electric-Guitar-Case-i234879.music

Wow mura ah!  Ok na siguro although mas gusto ko yung SKB cases dahil mas magaang at mas compact.  Ewan ko kung bakit  nagtaas na presyo nito pero $70 lang ito sa Guitar Center.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Accessories?sku=544566

Eto mas mahal konti at mas malaki:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Accessories?sku=544503

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2006, 09:06:31 PM »
that wasn't ALL CAPS. the caps were there for EMPHASIS. it's not like im shouting or anything.

you quoted the wrong person. but ok, man. UNDERSTOOD.  :wink:
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2006, 11:08:45 PM »
Quote from: Al_Librero

you quoted the wrong person. but ok, man. UNDERSTOOD.  :wink:

i didn't quote the wrong person. i just didn't quote the two of you.
"We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
'Nd everybody warms themselves to a different fire..."

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2006, 11:36:51 PM »
lol! you just can't let anything pass can you, sir? fine. hindi ka mataray, and you don't post in all-caps. you're just EMPHASIZING. my bad.

anyway...

cool_blues,
can we know what plane/airline you're going to board? for future reference. thank you.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2006, 12:21:27 AM »
Quote from: Al_Librero
lol! you just can't let anything pass can you, sir? fine. hindi ka mataray, and you don't post in all-caps. you're just EMPHASIZING. my bad.

all caps means everything (kasi nga all diba?) is capitalized... the thing is, i just capitalized some words for emphasis...dig?

it's not, not letting it pass... rather it's clarifying things because you reinforced what the other guy has said that i shouldn't post in all caps. but everyone knows i'm not posting in all caps... and like i said, it just happend that it was you who i quoted and not the other guy... but my post was intended for the two of you.

hope that clears that up. no biggie.

nwy, good luck to those who will check in their guitars. i learned my lesson. up to you if you want to learn it the hard way.

carry on.

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2006, 04:13:38 AM »
Quote from: fretburner
Quote from: SDMF
pag naka hardcase, definitely papa check in mo ung guitar...

NOT TRUE for aircrafts about the size or larger than a B737. I ALWAYS hand carry my guitar INSIDE a HARDCASE, domestic and international.

so you've done it plenty of times.. hardcase pa dala..

what airlines did you fly with and where did you go?

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2006, 05:02:35 PM »
Quote from: jack in a vox
Quote from: fretburner
Quote from: SDMF
pag naka hardcase, definitely papa check in mo ung guitar...

NOT TRUE for aircrafts about the size or larger than a B737. I ALWAYS hand carry my guitar INSIDE a HARDCASE, domestic and international.

so you've done it plenty of times.. hardcase pa dala..

what airlines did you fly with and where did you go?

fretburner, hindi mo naman binanggit sa kanila na palaging business class (at the very least!) mga byahe mo kaya pinapayagan kang mag-handcarry ng mga naka-hardcase na gitara... :wink:  Hehehehe.

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2006, 11:11:56 PM »
jack in a vox,

international: SF --> HK (B747) --> MNL (A330) Cathay Pacific
domestic (here and within the US): mostly B737 and smaller.. but i think my SFO --> Dallas/Fortworth --> STL was close to an A330-size plane.

I have carried my guitar on a gig bag many times before in dometic flights (B737/A320)

greasykid,

di naman ako business class...magaling lang ako "makiusap" sa mga flight attendants so they make space for my guitar :)

yung kilala ko na may bitbit na epi  goth flying-v (hint...hehe) naka 1st class... sarap sapakin nampotah!

Offline cool_blues

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2006, 12:00:36 AM »
cool_blues,
can we know what plane/airline you're going to board? for future reference. thank you.

sure sir! :D

pero parang nagba back out na utol ko dahil nga sa problema na yan. :oops:

:roll:
(",)

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2006, 01:58:14 PM »
Quote from: cool_blues
pero parang nagba back out na utol ko dahil nga sa problema na yan. :oops:

:roll:

dude... ipa-check-in mo na lang yung guitar.  yes, you'll hear horror stories about lost or damaged luggage, but the probability of that happening is not that high.  when i had my vintage telecaster brought over, my mom checked it in... wala namang problema when i finally got it.  bilang na two trips pa yun.  the first leg was manila to sfo.  then they stayed for a few days.  then they made the trip from sfo to dfw.  two trips and no problemo.  just make sure you get a good hardcase.

Offline caloyburger

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2006, 12:48:45 AM »
I think it depends on the airline.  Last year I bought an Am ser. tele in hongkong and may kasamang hardcase yun so they had to make me check it in.  At the counter I asked the lady if I had to check the guitar in if it were in a softcase and she said you can handcarry it.  So naisip ko na sayang, dapat nag dala ako ng soft case so I can hand carry the guitar and check in the hardcase.  To my luck though the guitar arrived fine.  This was Cathay Pacific.

Last Jan naman nagpabili friend ko ng Epi Les Paul sa HK.  From my previous experience of what the lady told me over the counter the last time I went, I decided to purchase a softcase for it so I can hand carry it.  We used PAL this time.  At the counter, the lady says it too big, bulky, need to check it in.  We had a small argument, even refering to my previous experience of what was told to me about hand carrying a guitar in its softcase.  Of course to keep things at bay, I had to comply.  Signed the waiver, put the fragile stickers around it and cleared my throat.  Upon arriving, I immediately checked the guitar at the carousel.  Alas, a long crack was found along the headstock.  Further inspection revealed that the headstock was hanging on because of the tension of the strings.  The guitar fell forward in the softcase.  I was furious...I did not want to make a scene though.  Brought it to Arie the next day to have it fixed and now its almost invisible and guranteed to be stronger than before.  My friend was happy.

Based on these experiences all I can say is expect the worse but prepare for the worse.  DO NOT CHECK IN A GUITAR IN A SOFTCASE!  If a good hardcase costs as much as 1/2 the price of a guitar I'd say go for it.  You'll not only be protecting but it will give you peace of mind not only on the trip but for years to come.  If a hardcase might be out of budget or incovenient, I suggest you ask for the manufacturers box when you buy the guitar, place the softcase with the guitar in there and wrap the entire case with bubble wrap like what eders19 mentioned then fill the empty spaces with crushed newspaper, stryrofoam or clothes.  This will provide more than enough cushoning for the guitar.  The box maybe heavier but at least your guitar is protected.

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2006, 01:55:40 AM »
This guy will show you how to pack your guitar.  He's pretty good at packing his guitars.

Quick! What's the difference between a guitar and a girl?

A guitar you have to pack before you check-in, a girl you have to check-in before you... 8)  

Hehehe.  :lol:

Offline jeibi16

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2006, 06:58:27 AM »
pwede handcarry bro.. i just did that last december when I came back from US.. I had a backpack for my laptop and my guitar in a hardcase. i talked to the people in the check-in counter that it will be my handcarry since the laptop was considered "personal luggage" this is common for girls with an extra handbag or something that goes along with them wherever they go... I just told the stewardess that I will be taking the back seat or if you can't, you can ask her to put the guitar at the back portion of the plane's cabins. It actually occupied the entire cabin which would normally be used by 2 passengers. Since it was flat, bags can still fit with it, you'll just have to accept that their luggages will be sitting on top of your guitar  :? nonetheless, handcarrying your guitar shouldnt be a problem  :D
....\m/....

Offline Slingky

Re: Pwede ba i-Handcarry ang guitar?
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2009, 01:52:26 PM »
naparanoid ako sa thread na ito ah, riyadh to manila eh 9 hours flight yun, puro PROEL pa naman hardcase dito, ok ba yung PROEL na hardcase for my fender strat?

sumama nalang kaya ako sa lagayan ng mga maleta para hawak ko guitara ko, huhuhuhu

Offline rainierito

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2009, 04:12:59 PM »
Sirs, it might be a stupid question for some of you, but i really dont have any idea on how 2 carry ur guitar if ur riding an airplane.

Kasi nagpapabili ako ng guitar sa ate ko sa dubai, pero nagdadalwang isip sya kasi baka daw di pedeng ipa handcarry ung gitara. Mahirap nga naman kung isama sa bagahe, baka madurog ung gitara, sayang naman. :P

Pano ba mga sirs magandang diskarte? Tnx in advance!!

:oops:  :oops:  :oops:

depende sa airline, yung iba the baggage must atleast be 1.5 meters long... at may weight limit, kaya madalas pag nag a airplane ako kasama guitar nag g gigbag ako.

Offline ysei

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2009, 04:17:43 PM »
Another 3 year old thread...  :evil:
On vacation...

Offline digitalcyco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2009, 08:35:53 PM »

ive flown a few times with a gig bag back when we did gigs for Red Horse in 2006-07

Cebu Pacific asked me to remove the strings, explaination nila is that because the strings could be used to strangle or tie people up.

--------

btw, this is a really really old thread LOL
This is a forum siggy.

Offline Beatle

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2009, 02:38:03 PM »
SKB guitar hard cases are the BEST, I bought mine with approved TSA locks and moisture/temperature resistant lining. The best bang for the buck when checking-in guitars :)

Offline ninen

• Netizen Level
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2009, 03:21:10 PM »
i work for an airline (i wont specify which)

international standard for musical equipment:
checked-in or cabin-seat baggage

checked-in:
it will be classified as fragile. it is highly recommended that you put it in a hardcase. based from my experience, padded gigbags wil not do, even those heavily padded ones...and yes, the airline will not be held liable in case of damage to your equipment. in the airline that i work for, you will be asked to sign a waiver before checking-in your instruments.

cabin-seat baggage:
you will purchase another seat just for your instrument (same rate applies). but there are many restictions on this like the height of the cabin-seat baggage must not exceed the height of the back rest of the aircraft's seat so as not to block the view of other passengers. also, you cannot place it in an emergency exit row seat.

HTH :)

Offline fish_shtick

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2009, 06:09:31 PM »
nakapag uwi ako ng guitar from australia, naka handcarry lang sa softcase.

Offline thunder_shadow(raikage)

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2009, 04:08:41 PM »
1.yabang
2.walang bag.
3.proud to be musician

Offline pg13

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2009, 04:26:53 PM »
yup.... nung umuwi ako taiwan naka hand carry ang guitar ko.....

Offline avlis78

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2009, 04:29:40 PM »
yung epi flying V ko (in gig bag) pinadala ko sa tropa ko from manila handcarry lang try emirates airline ser...
abu dhabi