hulika

Author Topic: Pwede ba i-Handcarry ang guitar?  (Read 11623 times)

Offline cool_blues

Pwede ba i-Handcarry ang guitar?
« on: March 08, 2006, 07:31:02 PM »
Sirs, it might be a stupid question for some of you, but i really dont have any idea on how 2 carry ur guitar if ur riding an airplane.

Kasi nagpapabili ako ng guitar sa ate ko sa dubai, pero nagdadalwang isip sya kasi baka daw di pedeng ipa handcarry ung gitara. Mahirap nga naman kung isama sa bagahe, baka madurog ung gitara, sayang naman. :P

Pano ba mga sirs magandang diskarte? Tnx in advance!!

:oops:  :oops:  :oops:
(",)

Offline jeba_03

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 07:42:45 PM »
bro nagpabili din ako sa us ng guitar. di pwede hand carry sa loob ng plane nasa baggage din siya kasama. mas maganda kung may hardcase.
One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. -BM

Offline j3ff

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 08:00:03 PM »
Quote from: jeba_03
bro nagpabili din ako sa us ng guitar. di pwede hand carry sa loob ng plane nasa baggage din siya kasama. mas maganda kung may hardcase.

nako problema to balak ko pa naman din magpabili sa US ng guitar mahal pa naman hardcase halos kalahati na ng price ng gusto kong guitar. kung gig bag hindi siguro uubra ano?

Offline eders19

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 08:08:40 PM »
actually depends on the airline... check the web site of the airline na sasakyan ng kapatid mo. special item ang musical instrument. parang laptop. kapag special item, it's not considered as luggage or hand carry. nagawa ko na kasi yan. kasama sa hand carry ko yung guitar at yung laptop ko.

again, just check the airline's website, they usually have info on their luggage  policies
with or without you...

Offline jeba_03

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 08:09:33 PM »
bro naka-gig bag yung guitar ko nung binyahe from states. medyo nagkaproblem sa neck warping nung dumating dito. pero naayos din. british airlines ang sinakyan niya. i hope that helps.
One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. -BM

Offline rainierito

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 08:53:34 PM »
Quote from: jeba_03
bro naka-gig bag yung guitar ko nung binyahe from states. medyo nagkaproblem sa neck warping nung dumating dito. pero naayos din. british airlines ang sinakyan niya. i hope that helps.

tsk tsk... kung naka set neck sya problem yan... nag padala friend ko ng guitar from u.s. bumili sya ng strat ang ginawa nya hiniwalay nya yung neck tapos nilagay nya sa hand carry nya... problem solved for him...

Offline j3ff

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 09:01:04 PM »
mahal pala ng hardcase $50 up eh squier(std fat strat) lang sana pabibili ko worth $200. gusto ko sana yung fender std strat MIM $370 na may libre fender deluxe gigbag kaso kapag hindi puwede hand cary yari bibilan pa ng hardcase mas lalong mahal. :(

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 09:04:05 PM »
I've heard that its possible to hand-carry your guitar. It'd be best to have a hardcase. Thing is, once you hand-carry the guitar, you better not have other hand-carried things (or even better, none). If the airline allows the guitar in the cabin, don't push it by bringing a lot of other stuff.

It's also good to ask the airline before making the reservation. :wink:

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 10:05:30 PM »
i dont know if you can fit that in the overhead with international flights.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 10:10:52 PM »
Actually, it doesn't have to be in the overhead compartment. Come & think of it, it'd be a hazard to you and/or other passengers.
If you can talk to the crew nicely enough, they can keep your guitar for you somewhere near the cockpit, near the place where the crew keeps their stuff.  :wink:
At least there, it's pretty sure that it would be kept from harm.

Offline dod

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 10:25:37 PM »
I flew Northwest Airlines from Los Angeles to Manila last month.

I loosened the strings of my dreadnought guitar and placed it inside a semi-hard, lightweight case that I bought at Guitar Center for around US$70. I had it checked in and marked with a "FRAGILE" sticker. The Northwest agent required me to fill up a waiver form re breakage/damage to fragile items inside checked-in luggage.

Quote from: Northwest Airlines
Special Luggage Items

Musical Instruments
Northwest accepts musical instruments that exceed size and/or weight limitations (up to 100 pounds) as checked luggage or cabin-seat luggage.  Musical instruments are not included in the free luggage allowance and an excess fee of $80.00 USD will apply for domestic travel.  For international travel, overweight/oversize luggage fees vary by country.

Cabin-seat Luggage: Northwest requires advance arrangements for carriage of musical instruments as cabin-seat luggage. Northwest must assign the instrument bulkhead seating behind a hard/rigid divider to comply with FAA safety regulations. See Carry-on Luggage for all the conditions of acceptance of cabin-seat luggage.

Checked Luggage: The passenger must present the musical instrument in a hard-sided or crush-proof container made specifically for the instrument.

Handcarry? I don't think they will allow it. Please read below.

Quote from: Northwest Airlines
Carry-On Luggage

Carry-on Allowance
Northwest allows you to carry one piece of luggage on board the aircraft. The carry-on luggage must be of a size and shape to allow for storage in overhead compartments or underneath the seat in front of you.

Dimensions:

Cannot exceed 45 linear inches (9 inches by 14 inches by 22 inches)
Cannot exceed 40 pounds.
Note: Luggage not meeting these specifications must be checked and is subject to any applicable fees.

Hope this helps.

Offline cool_blues

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 10:56:26 PM »
Tnx mga bro sa replies! Check ko website ng PAL, Saudia, and Cathay Pacific. Un ung alam kong posibleng masakyan ni ate!

:D

Baka meron pang suggestions jan?
(",)

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 11:13:08 PM »
Saudia is good...food lang ang hindi maganda. :lol:

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 12:20:11 AM »
Cho, mula nung mangyari ang 9-11 attack ang dami nang nabago sa regulasyon ng air travel. 99.9% hindi papayagan yang ganyan kalaki. Nung lumipat nga lang kami from New Jersey to California na domestic lang yung flight eh hindi na pinayagan yung kahit isa sa mga acoustics ko na ilagay sa overhead compartment. Invest on a hardcase.

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 01:38:38 AM »
Quote from: BP_Lizard
Cho, mula nung mangyari ang 9-11 attack ang dami nang nabago sa regulasyon ng air travel. 99.9% hindi papayagan yang ganyan kalaki. Nung lumipat nga lang kami from New Jersey to California na domestic lang yung flight eh hindi na pinayagan yung kahit isa sa mga acoustics ko na ilagay sa overhead compartment. Invest on a hardcase.

on the contrary, YOU CAN HAND CARRY your guitar onboard the plane. those planes are wide-bodies and your guitar will fit nicely in the overhead compartments. if the plane is packed, and somebody beat you to your overhead spot, ASK THE FLIGHT CREW to place your guitar in THEIR OWN LUGGAGE compartment way at the back of the plane. remember, the flight crew also have their own compartments for their personal things, and THEY WILL TAKE THEIR THINGS OUT IN FAVOR OF YOUR GUITAR if you ask them! if not, DEMAND!

my hard case got a HUGE crack when i allowed the flight crew to "check-in" my guitar instead of carry it inside, despite having a "FRAGILE" sticker to it. AND, they WILL NOT compensate you for the damages for MISHANDLING.

after that incident, I NEVER ALLOWED the flight crew/attendants to CHECK-IN my guitar.

an EXCEMPTION to this though is if your aircraft is SMALLER than a BOEING 737, because your guitar WILL NEVER FIT into whatever compartment that aircraft will have.

ignore this post and you will likely come home with a damaged guitar.
"We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
'Nd everybody warms themselves to a different fire..."

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 03:11:13 AM »
pag naka hardcase, definitely papa check in mo ung guitar...pero kung softcase/padded case at un lang hand carry pde yan. Wen boarding a plane ask nya agad ung flight attendant. Kse pag una ka nakapasok, pihado maluwag pa ung cabin nila. Dun nila ilalagay un. Ayos.  8) Pag PAL nga pagkakita na may guitar ka naka soft case, kukunin na nila agad para ilagay sa cabin. But that is, kung may space pa. Kaya mauna ka dapat pumasok.
Guitars:Guild S-100, G&L Climax
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2006, 03:44:36 AM »
Quote from: SDMF
pag naka hardcase, definitely papa check in mo ung guitar...

NOT TRUE for aircrafts about the size or larger than a B737. I ALWAYS hand carry my guitar INSIDE a HARDCASE, domestic and international.

Offline cool_blues

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 07:22:57 AM »
Na check ko na ung site ng PAL, ang nabanggit lang under sa "Special Baggage" is ung pets ang sports equipment. Alang musical instrument. :roll:

Check ko din ung ibang site ng airlines..

O nga pala pag pina UPS/FEDeX ung guitar ok kaya? O mas malaki pa ung tax and shipping cost kumpara dun sa presyo nung gitara? Hayyy.....

:shock:
(",)

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006, 07:45:54 AM »
Quote from: fretburner
Quote from: SDMF
pag naka hardcase, definitely papa check in mo ung guitar...

NOT TRUE for aircrafts about the size or larger than a B737. I ALWAYS hand carry my guitar INSIDE a HARDCASE, domestic and international.

ang taray! all-caps pa. :lol:  :lol:
Guitars:Guild S-100, G&L Climax
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2006, 09:40:06 AM »
hehehehe.

as soon as you know which plane you'll be boarding, maybe the best thing to do is to contact the corresponding airline's customer service. better to take the word of the airline rather than conflicting reports over here.

just a suggestion. no all-cap replies please.  :lol:
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline harmless

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2006, 09:47:22 AM »
pwede naman i hand carry
un pinsan ko dala nya un guitar ko from the US via PAL last december
gig bag lng un gamit nya, wala naman problema.
may mga nkasabay pa nga sila na ganun din ginawa.

it was a set neck les paul copy, pina loosen ko n lng un strings
kasi iba pressure sa taas n un climate change na din, at least kung may
effect minimal n lng.

n un tita ko from the middle east sya work, may mga pinoy daw
na bitbit un guitar(nka gig bag) sa loob ng plane pg pauwi sa pinas.

pero better to call the airline company beforehand para u cud prepare
just incase d pwede ihand carry at ng makabili ng hardcase na matibay.

cool_blues,
congrats on the new guitar hope it comes home safely

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2006, 10:44:14 AM »
i think it depends on the airline and where you are going. since pinoys are known for excessive handcarry luggage maybe they allow it.

but on a trip from NZ to singapore, i had an electric in a hardcase and they made me check it in. when i got on the plane it was half full..

then again maybe they picked on me :?

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2006, 11:51:48 AM »
it depends on the airline, but also bear in mind that flight conditions on the day of travel can also be a factor.  the pilot and flight crew have the final say on what is and is not allowed on that particular flight regardless of what is stated on paper or communicated by other airline reps.  for example:  weather conditions might change from what was forecasted, and will require a general reduction in luggage stored in the overhead bins.  if that happens, chances are high that they will be more strict and require bigger items to be checked in.

fortunately, i have always been allowed to handcarry my guitar on u.s. domestic flights.  i've always checked in my guitar for international travel -- usually kasi mas maraming kaming bitbit kapag international trips.

Offline eders19

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2006, 01:16:32 PM »
with regard sa warping, subukan mo lagyan ng silicon gel packets (yung nahahanap mo pagkabili mo ng sapatos, yung kisses hahaha!) to absorb the humidity and heat. pabalot mo rin ng bubble wrap kung soft case. tapos wag mo muna agad-agad bubuksan from the case. little by little over a couple of hours, siguro mga 6-12 (tagal, pero betterbe safe than sorry.

yung silicon gel at bubble wrap, sariling hypothesis ko lang, pero yung little by little ilalabas, nabasa ko sa isang website, i just forgot where. useful siya lalo na kapag  galing sa malamig papunta dito and vice versa.

anyway hope my experience helps you annd others as well.
with or without you...

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2006, 07:16:56 PM »
Quote from: Al_Librero
hehehehe.

as soon as you know which plane you'll be boarding, maybe the best thing to do is to contact the corresponding airline's customer service. better to take the word of the airline rather than conflicting reports over here.

just a suggestion. no all-cap replies please.  :lol:

that wasn't ALL CAPS. the caps were there for EMPHASIS. it's not like im shouting or anything.

and regarding warping, your guitar will most likely warp, but i don't think it will be very significant that it will screw up your neck or something. the concern though is if your guitar is nitro finished - it will most likely have cracks on the finish/paint. but i'm guessing your guitar is poly, so, not much to worry in that regard. desicants should help like the other dude mentioned.

rock on!