hulika

Author Topic: Custom drum shell ideas  (Read 2156 times)

Offline tipsyboy

Custom drum shell ideas
« on: February 13, 2009, 06:04:49 PM »
Mga sir, naisip ko lang. Ano kaya tunog ng 14"x5" na free floating snare pag ang shell na nakalagay e mahogany na solid shell?
May sinusulat kasi akong story, and yung drummer sa story may custom na snare. Tas nainspire ako ni sir vinci sa kwentuhan namin about custom snares nung isang araw. Kaya un!
How do you guys think this snare sounds?

Please define topic titles; do read our guidelines.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:39:46 AM by tipsyboy »

Offline plep

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Out of curiosity lang
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 06:27:51 PM »
solid shell mahogany free floater? sounds good. kaso i'd go deeper than 5" for that.

Offline tipsyboy

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 05:16:57 PM »
hmm...bakit deeper than 5" ang preferred mo? kaya ko lang naisip na 5" kasi parang masyado nang malalim ang 6.5" para sakin. naisip ko rin na gusto ko medyo may hi-end na crack, and since the wood is mahogany, i thought the natural low-end of the wood can compensate for the shallow depth of the drum.
what do you think?

Offline plep

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 08:00:49 PM »
kung hi end crack habol mo, baka mas maganda na wag na lang mahogany yung gamitin mo. kung mag customize ka na rin lang, yung optimal configuration na rin yung gawin mo, ie, a deeper shell (6.5-8") would take advantage of mahogany's fat lows. if you want warmth with some hi end crack, go with a maple shell. if you want a balance of highs and lows, birch. if you want a powerful and unique sound, maybe even look into getting some beech or oak or even narra  :wink:

kaso syempre, ibang usapan pa rin kung mahogany lang yung makukuha mong shell. at iba pa ang african mahogany (nice drum wood) sa philippine mahogany (not so nice drum wood).

Offline tipsyboy

Re: Custom drum shell ideas
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 11:35:39 AM »
actually, narra talaga gusto ko. i heard, however, that narra will be harder to come by, so i thought i'd settle for something more available.

i'll try to verbalize my idea. i wanted a very versatile snare drum with a wide dynamic range (very soft to very loud) that can be applied to varying musical styles. i want it to sound full, andi want to hear as much of the shell as possible, but i don't wanna hear excessive overtones. this is why i thought of putting a solid shell in a free floating system. as for the overtones, maybe 30 degree bearing edges would do the trick. or is it overkill? anyway, that's the idea. how would you imagine the make and materials of this snare drum?

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 12:18:35 PM »
tipsy, narra is easy to come by. hint: punta ka sa sta. rosa laguna going to tagaytay. bago ka dumating ng tagaytay marami ka makikitang furniture makers dun. dami nilang local wood species at may nakita na kong narra dun.

meron din sa forum na nagbebenta ng narra stave shell. tanong mo na lang kung sino gumawa nun at dun ka na lang bumili para mas madali.

medyo off palagi ang paniniwala ko sa drums e pero here's my view:

- if you want it to sound full and "more of the shell", its best to get a steambent, stave or segment shell. wag yung regular ply shell, of course meron ding ply shell na parang steambent tumunog but they are few and rare in between. steambent will always give you a fuller sound. using diecast hoops will also help reduce the head sound and give you more "body".

- you NEED excessive overtones. overtones help your snare sound good during outdoor gigs. lagyan mo na lang ng muffling yung heads kung indoor ka. its better to have something and not need it than need it and not have it.

- mahogany? one thing i really hate about mahogany is that its muddy sounding. yes its dark and warm but most guys really love a cutting snare and a lot of mahogany snares really dont cut it. parang yung poplar snares ng pearl exports tapos itabi mo sa maple snare, lumalabas "ngongo" yung pearl export and that's what i mean about muddy.

- 30degree edge? 45 degree edge? it doesnt matter. i promise you, hindi mo maririnig ang difference nila. the edge is also one small part of a bigger whole. hindi sya ang nagdedefine sa final sound ng snare mo. whatever edge you prefer, it wont ensure that'll you'll get the sound you are after

- then there's the matter of the lugs, throwoff and how much weight they add. i find heavier hardware on thin ply shells kill the "body" of the sound. naririnig mo na lang puro head which is usually yung papery high pitched sound at hindi mo talaga mafefeel yung snare

- imagining the components and how they will actually sound is a hit or miss deal. its best you try what's already out there and make your conclusions based on your personal experience.

in the end, what i say here should be taken with a grain of salt

Offline shotsofredmist

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 01:56:24 PM »
drum shell gawa sa ICE (yelo) astig un tapos hinde natutunaw!! solid!
facebook.com/jc.gellidon
twitter.com/jcboiche
 FOR SALE:   G35 Infiniti Coupe (Message me if interested) Mercedes Benz e class w211 "SOLD"

Offline tipsyboy

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 02:38:17 PM »
drum shell gawa sa ICE (yelo) astig un tapos hinde natutunaw!! solid!

ah kaya ba "solid shell"? haha

Offline tipsyboy

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 04:26:11 PM »
@peeves talagang may makukunan ng narra? kasi ang alam ko endangered yun dito sa pinas kaya mahirap siya kunin locally.

yeah, i just realized that excessive overtones are actually helpful, lalo na kung outdoors. thanks for the reminder. i heard that die cast hoops give kind of an artificial crack to the snare drum and actually masks the genuine sound of the shell, so a friend suggested flanged hoops instead. what do you think?

what you said about the weight of the hardware affecting sound actually makes sense. i read about this in a Modern Drummer article. so, what kind of lugs should i put? and should i lessen the number of lugs?

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 04:48:20 PM »
endangered oo pero wala namang bawal sa pinoy  :evil:

i dont know what you mean artificial sounding but the true character of the shell will always be showing no matter what hoop you use. nagbabago lang yung ringing character ng snare mo

die cast : beefy ring, may lows kang maririnig sa ring nya
wood hoop : soft warm crack, no metallic ring
flange: a lot overtones, mas marami kang sounds na mapapalabas sa snare,
pinaka ringy sa tatlo

again, my impressions come from my steambent snare and i also have all the hoops mentioned above. i also have a keller ply snare which doesnt really sound as good as my steambent (para lang sya gretsch catalina stock snare tumunog e) but i get the same results.

limited lang choices mo sa lugs dito e at wala ng simple tube lugs na mabibili. yup pwede mo bawasan yung lugs basta wag ka lang papadala sa mababasa mo na hindi 'pro' ang snares na hindi 10 lugs. kahit 6 lugs lang gamitin mo basta ba gusto mo tunog walang problema yun.

Offline tipsyboy

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 05:33:29 PM »
haha ganun ba? magkano kaya narra?

how does narra compare to, say, maple? i've read the online reviews, but i want to hear personal impressions.

thanks for all the help mga sir!