hulika

Author Topic: MR. BIG LIVE IN MANILA - Confirmed May 10, 2011  (Read 71452 times)

Offline Carlo Romero

Re: MR. BIG LIVE IN MANILA - Confirmed May 10, 2011
« Reply #500 on: May 11, 2011, 10:48:57 PM »
I was there since 10:30 am. Also at the meet and greet the day prior. over 1000 photos. I was given the privilege to be a stage manager for Lip Service. Took it and had fun the whole time. Backstage was epic. And had the chance to go around the whole place to take photos.

In two days. LOL Will post it at my Epic Tone like page by tomorrow.  :-D

Can't wait! :-D

Offline karlwilson

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #501 on: May 11, 2011, 11:24:24 PM »
I was there since 10:30 am. Also at the meet and greet the day prior. over 1000 photos. I was given the privilege to be a stage manager for Lip Service. Took it and had fun the whole time. Backstage was epic. And had the chance to go around the whole place to take photos.

In two days. LOL Will post it at my Epic Tone like page by tomorrow.  :-D

i really doubt it when you say you woudn't come to the mr.big concert bro!haha.

pics...pics...  :evil:

Offline ron21

• Veteran Member
« Reply #502 on: May 11, 2011, 11:24:24 PM »
thanks for pics karwilson.

ano ba iyong maliit na parang flat screen monitor sa tapat ng pedalboard?

lumakas lang iyong giutara after green-tinted.

hahaha!  oo nga no!

video ni pat torpey.

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #503 on: May 11, 2011, 11:32:47 PM »
Ang galing din pala mag-gitara ni billy sheehan, shredder din  :evil: smoke on the water solo  :evil:
'one never fails until he quits trying'

Offline vansvhee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #504 on: May 12, 2011, 12:05:39 AM »
medyo nag-out lang si pat torpey sa merciless ng mga 3 seconds, nahabol naman at back to normal ulet....

pero walang kasing lupet kagabi, hanggang ngayon may hang over pa 'ko...

green tinted - lahat ng tao kumakanta the whole song...
ANIBUGHAW - buhay, bahay at halaman<br /><br />
br /><br />http://www.soundclick.com/anibughaw

Offline art_attack16

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #505 on: May 12, 2011, 12:43:03 AM »
tindig balahibo ko nung Daddy brother lover little boy pa lang. Sa totoo nawalan ng silbi upuan ko haha. Nakatayo ako hanggang matapos. Sino malapit sa 211 row C? Tanong eh papalabas kaya sa myx to? Mapapanood ng beaver fans mga nangyari haha

Offline johnmeyron

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #506 on: May 12, 2011, 12:53:50 AM »
ako 211 row D!  :mrgreen: haha

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #507 on: May 12, 2011, 01:05:03 AM »
tindig balahibo ko nung Daddy brother lover little boy pa lang. Sa totoo nawalan ng silbi upuan ko haha. Nakatayo ako hanggang matapos. Sino malapit sa 211 row C? Tanong eh papalabas kaya sa myx to? Mapapanood ng beaver fans mga nangyari haha
**Ngayon pinagsisisihan ko na kung bakit hindi ako nanood!!!**

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #508 on: May 12, 2011, 01:21:08 AM »
i really doubt it when you say you woudn't come to the mr.big concert bro!haha.

pics...pics...  :evil:

The invitation was a God send. :D
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline mikerock

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #509 on: May 12, 2011, 01:36:59 AM »
more pics.. still had mr Big Bieber Biggest FEVER..
<

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #510 on: May 12, 2011, 01:40:14 AM »
parang andaming sablay ng drummer ng general luna, palagay ko lang...sa sobrang lakas nila parang ang hina tuloy ng sound nung mr. big na ang sumalang.
'one never fails until he quits trying'

Offline ermonski

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #511 on: May 12, 2011, 05:03:33 AM »
parang andaming sablay ng drummer ng general luna, palagay ko lang...sa sobrang lakas nila parang ang hina tuloy ng sound nung mr. big na ang sumalang.

ang lakas pumalo ni Bea. Parang feel ko gusto nang tapusin ng General Luna yung set nila, excited na silang ilagay onstage yung Mr. Big!

Offline vansvhee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #512 on: May 12, 2011, 05:18:35 AM »
ang lakas pumalo ni Bea. Parang feel ko gusto nang tapusin ng General Luna yung set nila, excited na silang ilagay onstage yung Mr. Big!

pero actually naimpress ako sa drummer ng general luna, magaling for a girl....

tska yung guitarist na babae, deym..galing
ANIBUGHAW - buhay, bahay at halaman<br /><br />
br /><br />http://www.soundclick.com/anibughaw

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #513 on: May 12, 2011, 08:00:22 AM »
Some points:

1) The first band Lip Service was ok until the second song -- then all the three other songs sounded like the first song.  I wish they could add more space into their riffs and melodies.  After awhile digital delay and digital sound effects fatigue the ear specially if the mix is 100% wet.  Lots of noise too. The local mix put the guitar louder than the singer.
2) General Luna -- I was disappointed.  It was a mess.  They were not tight. Lip Service was much much tighter and rehearsed.  Caren was clearly having difficulty with her effects and she was playing at times ahead or out of time with her rhythm section -- which was clearly absent.  You could clearly see that the three girls to the right (the prettier ones)-- the singer, the drummer and Caren were the stars while the two girls on the left were just filler.  Again the local mix was strongest on Caren's guitar and the drummer which made it a struggle for the singer to be heard -- the worst possible mix for anyone to start appreciating a song.  Even on their signature song, you could not tell they were playing it.  It was only when the singer started the lyrics that you realized it was their song.  Caren's PGM simply would not and could not sustain as she struggled to make the clean passages sustain.  Again as I have said before, Ibanez guitars suck and the only way to get a fighting chance for an Ibby is to plug straight into a high gain boutique amp turn up the preamp gain.  Forget the multi fx set up for an Ibby because it just makes it sound worse. 
3) Mr. Big -- I loved everything except Paul Gilbert's sound.  Since Paul first came out, I never really though of him as having the best tone but this is his worst.  Clearly the single coils lacked the midrange punch to cut thru Billy Sheehan.  Paul sounded beautiful only when the rest of the band was quiet.  But with the band on, its as if his guitar disappeard.  You could only hear the attack of the single coils and nothing else as if there were no notes from his fingerboard.  Actually, you could only hear him on the higher register but since he applied distortion on single coils -- his highs were harsh -- clearly bad single coil and bad distortion design.  In a sense you can understand why he has his phaser/flanger slightly on.  He needed to thicken his single coils.  But with all his endorsements, I can hardly blame him for having to struggle which such inferior equipment -- i guess he needs the extra bucks for his family.  Sinubukan na lang niya idaan sa timpla pero hindi talaga kaya.
4) Mr. Araneta should improve his P.A. and add more speakers.... They are weak and they distort when the whole band level is up.  I have noticed this during the STP concert and nothing was done.  It was quite obvious that the P.A. could not keep up with Billy's bass solo because the whole P.A. started to distort and could not keep up with Billy's attack.  I also partly blame the P.A. for not being able to reproduce Paul's sound in the band mix.  A better PA would give Paul's single coils a better chance in the mix.

Offline rommelism

« Reply #514 on: May 12, 2011, 08:20:19 AM »
Isa lang ang nasa isip ko after nung Mr. Big Concert they are definitely the best!

Guess what i read this to wikipedia after nung concert:

On May 10, 2011, after almost two decades, Mr. Big stepped on-stage at the Araneta Coliseum in Manila, Philippines. The band performed most of the songs from "Lean Into It", with the crowd singing along. The band also introduced a couple of new songs from "What If". It was an amazing night in Manila and they promised to come back sooner, with Eric Martin citing how long it took for the band before they came back. A standing ovation after the performance was hailed by screaming Filipinos fans "We want more" resulting to two more encores.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Big_(band)

Offline jeproks74

« Reply #515 on: May 12, 2011, 08:25:17 AM »
sir rommelism... thanks for sharing, nice!

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #516 on: May 12, 2011, 08:48:32 AM »
Honestly, I think they sounded better at the FAT when Eric's voice was at its best...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:12:30 AM by firemodel55 »

Offline lestervai

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #517 on: May 12, 2011, 09:36:44 AM »
waiting for sir turi's 1000pics! hahha  :evil:

Offline slowspeeder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #518 on: May 12, 2011, 09:45:36 AM »
very nostalgic! Saw them before at the Folk Arts theater in the 90's. they still sound awesome after all these years! i love PG and Billy Sheehan doin their guitar/bass duel. But it was BS that gave me the creeps, watching him up close doing mind boggling solo with his Attitude bass send me goose bumps!

Mr. Big Live in Manila was guitar/bass craziness to the max!!!  

Luv Eric and Pat too! (it was funny when they changed instruments...)
Gibson LP Std + Marshall Stack = Rock n Blues
JPP CA 4xx gLp/AF#3x a/s/p/Cc#&/MMc#x8

Offline rockarolla

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #519 on: May 12, 2011, 09:46:25 AM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 08:54:42 AM by rockarolla »
Some musicians may become a Yngwie Malmsteen, others maybe will become a humble Paul Gilbert.

Offline rommelism

« Reply #520 on: May 12, 2011, 09:47:01 AM »
Tama post more pics! Hindi ako nakapagdala ng Digicam, ang nadala ko lang Binocular which is great in my location sa upper Box B bukod sa giant LED screen atleast kitang kita ko ang solo nila PG at ni Billy Sheehan.  :-D

Offline rrmode1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #521 on: May 12, 2011, 10:03:55 AM »
I'm guessing kaya panget mix ng General Luna nauna na kasi sila ma-"drill time".

Offline melody_guitar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #522 on: May 12, 2011, 12:40:57 PM »
there was a very good point at firemodel's testimnony.. actually talking bout mr.big performance.. paul's tone was a bit different..i'm having a picture of the sound of paul live but when i heard it, its quite different.performance wise and note articulation, theres no question, but in the sound, its a bit controversial.. second thing, marshall  JCM amp set up, i don't know but i think PG amp set up today was on Laney amps..i wonder why he uses marshall stacks on the concert.. i dont know the equipment list of PG in mr. Big Days, maybe he uses marshall amp set up on those days..anyway.. the show was really great and unforgettable..it will be a once in a lifetime experience..mr.big was truly a great rock band..first song pA LANG PAMATAY NA..HEHE
Available Guitarist for bands, Showbands/variety music, acoustic etc../color]

Offline rommelism

« Reply #523 on: May 12, 2011, 01:05:40 PM »
I'm guessing kaya panget mix ng General Luna nauna na kasi sila ma-"drill time".

Lol!  :-D

Si Pat Torpey iba yung Drum set na gamit niya, kaya siguro hindi siya nag Drum solo, si PG alam ko originally Laney yung amp niya tapos nag Marshall siya saka from Humbacker na Pick ups niya biglang nag single coil siya, no wonder  medyo iba ang tunog nila, but still over all isa lang ang sure basta magaling na musikero kahit anu ipagamit or gamitin magaling pa rin.....over all ang lupeet pa rin ng performance nila...sana nga bumalik sila.

Offline dannygatton

• Veteran Member
« Reply #524 on: May 12, 2011, 01:43:23 PM »
Some points:
3) Mr. Big -- I loved everything except Paul Gilbert's sound.  Since Paul first came out, I never really though of him as having the best tone but this is his worst.  Clearly the single coils lacked the midrange punch to cut thru Billy Sheehan.  Paul sounded beautiful only when the rest of the band was quiet.  But with the band on, its as if his guitar disappeard.  You could only hear the attack of the single coils and nothing else as if there were no notes from his fingerboard.  Actually, you could only hear him on the higher register but since he applied distortion on single coils -- his highs were harsh -- clearly bad single coil and bad distortion design.  In a sense you can understand why he has his phaser/flanger slightly on.  He needed to thicken his single coils.  But with all his endorsements, I can hardly blame him for having to struggle which such inferior equipment -- i guess he needs the extra bucks for his family.  Sinubukan na lang niya idaan sa timpla pero hindi talaga kaya.
4) Mr. Araneta should improve his P.A. and add more speakers.... They are weak and they distort when the whole band level is up.  I have noticed this during the STP concert and nothing was done.  It was quite obvious that the P.A. could not keep up with Billy's bass solo because the whole P.A. started to distort and could not keep up with Billy's attack.  I also partly blame the P.A. for not being able to reproduce Paul's sound in the band mix.  A better PA would give Paul's single coils a better chance in the mix.

Very good straightforward and honest review. Thanks.